Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai

There will be a sequel series featuring the original actors kicking some more legs.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...etails-1026965

Cool find Cataphract!

Here's the original announcement:

AUGUST 04, 2017 5:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
    'Karate Kid' TV Sequel, Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, a Go at YouTube Red (Exclusive)

Photofest

The 10-episode half-hour comedy 'Cobra Kai,' exec produced by Will Smith's Overbrook, landed at the subscription service in a competitive situation following offers from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and AMC. It will debut in 2018.
    Wax on, again.

Three decades after The Karate Kid, original stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are heading back to the dojo. The duo are set to reprise their roles as underdog Daniel LaRusso (Macchio) and bully Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) in a 10-episode straight-to-series follow-up called Cobra Kai for subscription service YouTube Red.

The series, set to bow in 2018, is set 30 years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament and revolves around a down-and-out Johnny who, seeking redemption, reopens the infamous Cobra Kai dojo. It reignites his rivalry with a now-successful Daniel, who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi (the late Pat Morita). The half-hour comedy follows the duo addressing demons from their past and present frustrations — through (what else?) karate.

Josh Heald (Hot Tub Time Machine) as well as duo Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg (Harold and Kumar) will pen the script and exec produce. Macchio and Zabka will co-exec produce. Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series. Will Smith's Sony Pictures Television Studios-based Overbrook Entertainment will exec produce with James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett overseeing for the company.

Macchio and Zabka are expected to make an appearance Friday at YouTube's portion of the Television Critics Association's summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

"Like everyone who grew up in the 1980s, the three of us are enormous fans of The Karate Kid​,” Heald, Hurwitz and Schlossberg said in a joint statement. "Cobra Kai​ will be a true continuation of the original films — packed with comedy, heart and thrilling fight scenes. We can’t wait to reignite the LaRusso-Lawrence rivalry, and we’re thankful to our partners at YouTube Red, Sony Pictures Television and Overbrook for their shared enthusiasm in making our dream project a reality."

The series landed at YouTube Red following a competitive bidding process that sources say also included offers from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and AMC after Macchio and Zabka pitched the series all over town. Macchio appeared in all three original Karate Kid features, while Zabka had roles in the first two. "They were enthusiastic and fun," YouTube global head of originals Susanne Daniels tells THR of the pitch meeting. "I don’t know whether they had rehearsed it, but they played the parts of their characters well. More than anything, it was just amazing to see them together again."

Daniels, who said Karate Kid still resonates with YouTube users today, noted that the series comes as part of an effort to age up YouTube Red's demographic from 18-34 to the more advertiser-coveted 18-49 set. "It had all the elements you look for in a strong show. It had heart, it had laughs, it had drama, it had characters with strong points of view. All of it was there in the pitch," Daniels said.

Asked specifically why they were ditching the familiar Karate Kid title in favor of Cobra Kai, Daniels said it was driven by the story. "If The Karate Kid was Daniel’s story, Cobra Kai is equal parts Daniel and Johnny’s story. Also because this is a series and not a movie, we really wanted to reimagine how the story was told. Changing the name made sense as part of that."

Sony's Columbia Pictures distributed the original 1984 feature that went on to become a pop culture staple and spawn two sequels as well as a 1994 revamp with Hilary Swank and a 2010 reboot starring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith. The latter revival, produced by Smith, Overbrook and Columbia Pictures, grossed $359 million worldwide on a budget of $40 million. All told, the franchise has grossed more than $619 million worldwide.

“Continuing the story of The Karate Kid has been a passion project for all of us, and when Ralph and Billy said yes, we knew it had become real,” said Glenn Adilman, exec vp comedy development at SPTS. “We are thrilled that YouTube Red felt the same thing the minute they heard the pitch and then stepped up with this series commitment.”

In the years since the film's 1984 debut, Macchio has remained busy with roles in My Cousin Vinny, among others. He next recurs in HBO's upcoming David Simon drama The Deuce. Zabka, meanwhile, had a recurring guest role in How I Met Your Mother and earned an Oscar nomination in 2004 for his live-action short film Most. Macchio is repped by Untitled, Buchwald and Hansen Jacobson. Zabka is with Advanced Management and attorney Eric Feig.

Hurwitz and Schlossberg are with CAA and Hansen Jacobson; Heald is with Paradigm and attorney Howard Abramson. Cobra Kai is the largest TV foray to date for the CAA-repped Overbrook.

Cobra Kai joins a roster of originals at YouTube Red that includes Step Up, Mind Field, 12 Deadly Days, Sing It and more.

Reboots and revivals continue to be in high demand as broadcast, cable and streaming platforms look for proven hits in a competitive landscape that includes more than 450 scripted originals. Key reboots and revivals in the works include NBC's Will and Grace — already renewed for another run — as well as ABC's Roseanne, both of which bring the original stars back for more.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

YouTube Red

‘Karate Kid’ Sequel Series With Ralph Macchio, William Zabka Greenlit at YouTube Red
    Joe Otterson
    TV Reporter
    @JoeOtterson

MACCHIO: MJ PHOTOS/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK, ZABKA: COURTESY OF YOUTUBE

AUGUST 4, 2017 | 07:30AM PT
    A sequel series to the classic film “The Karate Kid” is set to launch on YouTube Red.

Currently titled “Cobra Kai,” the series would reunite original film stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka. The 10-episode, half-hour series, coming to YouTube Red in 2018, picks up thirty years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo, reigniting his rivalry with a now successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi.

“The minute I heard about this project, I knew we had to have it. ‘The Karate Kid’ became an instant classic in the 1980s, and still resonates with audiences around the world and on YouTube today,” said Susanne Daniels, global head of original content for YouTube. “We’re thrilled to partner with Sony TV, Overbrook and the talented writing team led by Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg to add a fresh, new comedic twist on one of Hollywood’s most storied rivalries.”

The series is written and executive produced by Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg. Heald is the writer behind the cult classic “Hot Tub Time Machine,” while Hurwitz and Schlossberg created the successful “Harold & Kumar” film series and wrote and directed the hit comedy “American Reunion.” Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series. James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett will executive produce for Overbrook Entertainment in association with Sony Pictures Television Studios.

Macchio is repped by Untitled, Buchwald and Hanson, Jacobsen, Teller. Zabka is repped by Advanced Management and Feig Law. Overbrook Entertainment is repped by CAA. Hurwitz and Schlossberg are repped by CAA and Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush, Kaller & Gellman L.L.P. Heald is represented by Paradigm Talent Agency and attorney Howard Abramson.
    I don't really want to subscribe to YouTube Red for this. It's another $9.99 a month now, and I'm trying to cut back on my streaming fees.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sweep the LEG!

There's an embedded vid behind the link.

Karate Kid sequel series: Ralph Macchio, William Zabka reunite in BTS photo
    Plus, the rest of the ‘Cobra Kai’ cast has been announced!
    CHANCELLOR AGARD@CHANCELLORAGARD
    POSTED ON OCTOBER 24, 2017 AT 2:00PM EDT

Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) are back!

In the exclusive behind-the-scenes photo above, The Karate Kid arch-rivals are all smiles as they reunite on the Atlanta set of Cobra Kai, YouTube Red’s forthcoming sequel series to the 1984 film. The show will see Macchio and Zabka reprising their iconic roles.

MARK HILL

EW can also exclusively reveal that the series will also star Xolo Maridueña (Parenthood), Mary Mouser (Freakish), Tanner Buchanan (Designated Survivor), and Courtney Henggeler (Mom), along with guest-star Ed Asner.

Picking up 30 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament, the half-hour series finds Daniel and Johnny at different places in their lives. Whereas Daniel is living his best life as a family man and proud owner of the No. 1 car dealership in the Valley, Johnny has fallen a long way since the ’80s and is now a heavy drinking, short-fused antihero living in Reseda, doing odd jobs to make ends meet. However, their rivalry is reignited when they re-enter each other’s lives, which drives Johnny to rediscover his Cobra Kai roots and reopen the infamous karate dojo.

GILBERT CARRASQUILLO/FILMMAGIC; TODD WILLIAMSON/GETTY IMAGES

Henggeler will play Daniel’s wife and business partner Amanda, the glue that keeps the LaRusso household and dealership running, and a calming force in Daniel’s life. Mouser stars as Samantha, Daniel and Amanda’s firecracker daughter who is learning to navigate the minefield that is high school, straddling the “good girl” and popular teen cliques.

ALBERTO E. RODRIGUEZ/GETTY IMAGES

Maridueña takes on the role of Miguel Diaz. Raised by a single mother from Ecuador, Miguel struggles with bullies at his new school, until he’s taken under the wing of a Cobra Kai karate master.

AMANDA EDWARDS/GETTY IMAGES

Buchanan is Johnny’s street-smart son Robby Keene. Robby is eager to prove he’s nothing like his dad, even though he’s on his way to making the same mistakes.

ALBERT L. ORTEGA/GETTY IMAGES
    Finally, Asner will guest as Johnny’s reluctant stepfather Sid Weinberg, an old-school, hard-nosed, former studio mogul, who is tired of dealing with his stepson’s failures.

Cobra Kai is written and executive produced by Hot Tub Time Machine‘s Josh Heald and Harold and Kumar film series creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, both of whom are expected to direct much of the series, which is produced by Overbrook Entertainment in association with Sony Pictures Television.

The 10-episode series is expected to debut on YouTube Red in 2018.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Casting call

A little late to the boat on this but I'm posting this anyways.

Extras sought for Karate Kid spinoff show in Marietta
    Shaddi Abusaid Dec 4, 2017 0

Lights, camera, wax on.

Cobb residents looking to launch their acting careers could catch that big break this week as an upcoming television series centered on the Karate Kid’s adult life shoots its season finale at Kennesaw State University’s Marietta campus.

Casting directors for “Cobra Kai” say they’re looking for extras for the filming of a karate tournament on campus. The series, which is set to air on YouTube Red sometime next year, depicts a grown Daniel LaRusso and rival bully Johnny Lawrence at it again more than three decades later. Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, who portrayed Daniel and Johnny, respectively, in the original 1984 film, have both reprised their roles in the show.

“It pretty much takes place in the adult lives of LaRusso and Lawrence,” said Chaz Yu, casting director for Atlanta-based Marinella Hume Casting. “We’re filming the big karate tournament scene in Marietta.”

Directors are looking for anyone 18 and older to portray tournament goers and event staff at the karate tournament, which will culminate the show’s first season.

Filming for the series began at the beginning of October, and Yu said plans are already in the works for a second season.

Cobra Kai’s producers are also seeking extras with real martial arts experience for the television spinoff, ideally between the ages of 14 and 22, to portray members of the tournament’s six karate teams, and someone at least 35 years old to play the role of a sensei. While martial arts experience is a must for the karate-specific roles, acting experience is not, said Yu.

Cobra Kai begins shooting on campus Thursday and Friday and continues Monday through Wednesday of next week. Aspiring extras do not have to be available all five days, but those looking to play the role of sensei or fill spots on the karate teams must be available Dec. 7, 8, 11, and 12.

Those looking to submit applications for available roles are urged to email recent photos along with their name, age, height, weight, experience (for karate roles), location and phone number to cobra.mhc@gmail.com using the subject line: MARIETTA TOURNAMENT. Submissions for anyone younger than 18 must be completed by a parent or guardian.

The positions are paid, with tournament-goers receiving about $8 per hour and martial arts positions paying about $12.50 per hour.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First-Ever Footage of Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid saga continues

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai Trailer 2 Season 1 (2018) Karate Kid Series

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai Official Teaser Trailer #3 (Karate Kid) - Sensei Daniel

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Official Cobra Kai Trailer - The Karate Kid saga continues

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Karate Kid: Cobra Kai - LaRusso Auto Group | official trailer #5 (2018)

A friend of mine sent me a photo of a billboard in LA that is advertising LaRusso Auto Group and is tagged with graffiti that says 'Cobra Kai Never Dies'.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1st one's free

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

#8 on Trending on YouTube today - Cobra Kai Season 2

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Saw the first two episodes

The first two episodes are free (follow the link in my first post). I really enjoyed them. I'm kinda hooked but I don't want to invest in YouTube Red right now because I'm already subscribed to enough streaming services and I'm way behind on my viewing. Alas. What to do?

Man, I can't believe I fell for the ol' "first one's free" scam again.

Cobra Kai is a funny and engaging return to the Karate Kid universe
    No one asked me if I wanted a sequel, but I'm **** glad they made one.
    JONATHAN M. GITLIN - 5/13/2018, 7:00 AM

This post contains a few spoilers. I've tried to keep them minimal, but if you're the sort who freaks out about that kind of thing, consider this a warning.

Sometimes it feels like we're drowning in sequels, prequels, and reboots. It's easy to see why; comfortable and familiar is less risky than new and unknown. But the urge to revisit a successful film or TV show from the past needn't always be resisted. Sometimes, great things can happen, as in the case of Cobra Kai.

You've probably seen advertisements for the new 10-part series on YouTube, and it is surely the highest-profile original content for its YouTube Red service. Cobra Kai is a sequel to The Karate Kid that checks back in on Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence 34 years after their their first showdown at the All-Valley karate tournament. And yes, Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are back in their roles.

The story opens from Lawrence's point of view, and the past three-and-a-bit decades have not been kind to him. He's living in a cheap apartment in Reseda, not dissimilar from the one LaRusso moved to from New Jersey in the original movie. Johnny's a struggling handyman, still driving the same (not-quite so sweet) '84 Pontiac Firebird. Adding insult to injury, he can't escape his rival's success; LaRusso owns a chain of upmarket car dealerships, literally looking down on him in traffic from a massive billboard.

Cobra Kai borrows more than just the characters and locations from The Karate Kid, taking the original plot and weaving elements through the season's arc. A nerdy kid (Miguel Diaz, played by Xolo Maridueña) learns karate to defend himself from a gang of bullies, but it's Johnny who trains him in a now-reopened Cobra Kai dojo. "Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy" becomes an empowering philosophy for Diaz and his marginalized friends, the ultimate safe space one where anyone picking you on gets their ass beat.

I don't want to give away too much, because if you had any love at all for the 1984 classic—and it was a classic—you're bound to enjoy Cobra Kai. Between Johnny's tale of redemption and a clever retelling of the original story, the show takes itself just seriously enough that it's frequently funny. It's not as on-the-nose as the 21 Jump Street movie; going that far would have made it impossible to keep the drama that that made The Karate Kid such a good film. And the best news of all? YouTube just greenlit a second season.

Listing image by Overbrook Entertainment/YouTube

JONATHAN M. GITLIN
    Jonathan is the automotive editor at Ars Technica, covering all things car-related. Jonathan lives and works in Washington, D.C.
    EMAIL jonathan.gitlin@arstechnica.com // TWITTER @drgitlin
    I'm guessing from the review above that the author only saw the first free episodes too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I fell for it too

I watched the first two episodes and didn't subscribe to red. But, I thought the two episodes I did watch were well done and I enjoyed them.
    I hear you on the streaming services thing. Man...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Spoiler alert

SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT
    SPOILER ALERT

‘Cobra Kai’: Martin Kove Becomes Series Regular For Season 2 Of YouTube Show
    by Nellie Andreeva •

Bryan David Hall

Following Martin Kove’s appearance in the Season 1 finale of Cobra Kai, the Karate Kid alum is joining the cast of YouTube Red’s Karate Kid followup as a series regular for its recently ordered second season. He will continue to reprise his villainous Karate Kid character of John Kreese.

In the critically praised dramedy Cobra Kai, from Sony Pictures Television and Overbrook Entertainment, Ralph Macchio and William Zabka reprise their roles from the Karate Kid film franchise. The epic adversaries return to the dojo, thirty years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the infamous Cobra Kai karate dojo, reigniting his rivalry with a now successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi.

YouTube Red

In the last scene of Season 1 finale, Kove’s Kreese returned to visit his former student Johnny Lawrence (Zabka), setting up a cliffhanger. The duo’s previous onscreen meeting was in the opening scene of The Karate Kid Part II, in which Kreese was choking out Johnny after he lost to Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) in the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament.

In addition to Macchio and Zabka, Kove also joins returning Cobra Kai series regulars Xolo Mariduena as Miguel Diaz Tanner Buchanan as Robby Keene, Mary Mouser as Samantha LaRusso and Courtney Henggeler as Amanda LaRusso.

Cobra Kai has been a hugely popular hit for YouTube. Since its debut on May 4, the first episode has generated over 20 million views. Season 2 is set to debut in 2019.

Kove is repped by Gary Ousdahl of Advanced Management.
    ******. I wish I hadn't read this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips