Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baywatch

Baywatch

This now deserves a thread here.

No srsly.

This Is the New Martial Arts Form, Which Priyanka Chopra Will Learn for 'Baywatch'
    Dailybhaskar.com | Mar 28, 2016, 12:42PM IST

The internationally acclaimed actress, Priyanka Chopra, has been part of many films that required her in action avatar.

She has done numerous fighting sequences in movies like Jai GangaaJal, Mary Kom, Drona, Don among others. Because of it, she has learnt many martial art forms. Now, she is all set to learn a new form for her Hollywood venture.

Reports suggest that PeeCee will be learning 'Kajukenbo', for her stunts in film adaptation of popular TV series Baywatch. On the same a source has been quoted saying, “She is always up for trying new stunts and techniques, and she is really excited about preparing for this role. Apparently, one of the best Kajukenbo trainers in America has been hired to work with her.”

The form which the actress will start learning is an American hybrid martial art. The name 'Kajukenbo' is a portmanteau of the various arts from which its style is derived: KA for Karate and Tang Soo Do Korean Karate, JU for Judo and Jujutsu, KEN for Kenpo and BO for Western and Chinese Boxing.
    Kajukenbo. "New Martial Art"
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some Kajukenbo guys are real hard core.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Absolutely!

Tiger Claw has a lot of Kajukenbo clients. Professor Joe Halbuna was very close to the family. That was somewhat before my time.

I wonder who is teaching her...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My CLF sifu started out in Kajukenbo in the late 1950s and was a black belt when he took up CLF in the mid-'60s or so. The training is (or was) very hard-core.

I also met as well as sparred plenty of Kajukenbo guys who were tough as nails.

That said, why does every current remake of old TV shows, old fairy tale movies, etc., always have to feature someone doing MA, when the original movies, shows or fairy tales had nothing at all to do with MA? And in most cases (except for the 21 Jump Street movies) the remakes usually take themselves way too seriously. I think even those Hansel and Gretel and Snow White movies had them doing MA. Kinda ridiculous.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-30-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    My CLF sifu started out in Kajukenbo in the late 1950s and was a black belt when he took up CLF in the mid-'60s or so. The training is (or was) very hard-core.

I also met as well as sparred plenty of Kajukenbo guys who were tough as nails.

That said, why does every current remake of old TV shows, old fairy tale movies, etc., always have to feature someone doing MA, when the original movies, shows or fairy tales had nothing at all to do with MA? And in most cases (except for the 21 Jump Street movies) the remakes usually take themselves way too seriously. I think even those Hansel and Gretel and Snow White movies had them doing MA. Kinda ridiculous.
    There was that ONE episode with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa...

I confess I'm a huge fan of Priyanka.

The more MA the better, I say. Every show needs to be remade with MA. I'd like to see Gilligan's Island remade with MA.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There was that ONE episode with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa...
    srsly? How did I miss that?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The more MA the better, I say. Every show needs to be remade with MA. I'd like to see Gilligan's Island remade with MA.

srsly? How did I miss that?
    I would so allow Ginger to put me in a triangle choke... and Mary-anne can north-south me anytime

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't know; with MA, especially in today's movies and shows, I prefer quality over quantity. Too much and it becomes passé.

As for Gilligan's Island, I preferred Maryann over Ginger.

Anyone else remember the karate episode of CHIPS that co-starred Danny Bonaduce as a karate punk?

I hope they cast David Hasselhoff.

I don't know; with MA, especially in today's movies and shows, I prefer quality over quantity. Too much and it becomes passé.

Anyone else remember the karate episode of CHIPS that co-starred Danny Bonaduce as a karate punk?
    Yep, and they did a sequel to that one too no?

Those clips were too awesome for words, sanjuro_ronin

I found the Baywatch episode with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa

I feel ya, but I'll take what I can get. I meant with quality over quantity, not Mary Anne and Ginger.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I will totally go to a screener and review this if offered...

...it's got Kajukenbo in it.

Baywatch Cast Photo Shows a Rock on a Beach with Some Babes
    BY MAX EVRY ON MARCH 30, 2016

Baywatch Cast Photo Shows A Rock on a Beach With Some Babes

Paramount Pictures‘ currently-filming Baywatch movie has revealed its first full-cast set photo courtesy of star Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s Facebook page. Check out the other Baywatch cast photos in the gallery below!

Also starring Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Kelly Rohrbach, Priyanka Chopra, Hannibal Buress and David Hasselhoff, Baywatch offers a big-screen take on the television series that originally premiered on NBC in 1989. The original Baywatch cast included Hasselhoff, Parker Stevenson, Shawn Weatherly, Billy Warlock, Erika Eleniak, Peter Phelps, Brandon Call and Holly Gagnier. The series was initially not a success and was cancelled after a single season. Plans were made, however, to move Baywatch into first-run syndication and, in 1991, Baywatch returned to the airwaves where it continued for a full decade, bringing in new cast members like Yasmine Bleeth and Pamela Anderson. The show also received a short-lived spinoff, Baywatch Hawaii.

Although several writers have been attached to the Baywatch movie, the most recent draft hails from the Friday the 13th pair of Damian Shannon and Mark Swift. Horrible Bosses and Identity Thief director Seth Gordon is helming the new Baywatch film, which is being produced by Dwayne Jonson alongside Michael Berk, Greg Bonann, Beau Flynn, Dany Garcia, Ivan Reitman and Douglas Schwartz.

Baywatch is scheduled to hit theaters on May 19, 2017.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    I hope they cast David Hasselhoff.
    Hasselhoff is all in. Of course he is. What else is he going to do?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I watch anything with Dwayne in it, for sure.
    Probably one of the nicest and down-to-earth people around.