Thread: Chinese Billionaires & Tai Chi

Chinese Billionaires & Tai Chi

I'm posting this initially on our Jet Li's TaijiZen International Cultural Development Company but I'm also going to copy it over to a new indie thread 'Chinese Billionaires & Tai Chi' in hopes that it trends and turns into a major sponsor for us . This is the first we've heard of Guo Guangchang's interest.

Jack Ma practices tai chi in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, May 10, 2013.

Profit from peace
    ASEAN+ August 07, 2017 09:12 By China Daily/ANN

China's billionaires and successful entrepreneurs are embracing tai chi, a homegrown gentle exercise or martial art characterized by rhythmic circular movements, to boost not just personal well-being but company profits, launch new products and services, and transform corporate cultures.

For instance, Guo Guangchang, president of Fosun Group, and Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba Group, are among the prominent personalities championing the cause of tai chi.Elite tai chi clubs comprising business-people are not uncommon in China these days. Well-known entrepreneurs in white silk garbs can be found going through the slow motions at private parks.After practising it for over three decades, Ma has made tai chi part of Alibaba's organizational culture. Tai chi workshops are part of staff training.

In his 2009 "State of the Union" address, US President Barack Obama called tai chi one of the best aerobic exercises of the world.For long, tai chi has been practised by senior citizens as a morning or evening ritual as it is believed to help practitioners to balance positive and negative inner energies. That philosophy is now being applied in business to boost profits.
    "It is a nice trend that influential entrepreneurs are doing tai chi, since it plays a positive role in promoting inner peace," said Li Longxin, a Brazilian startup owner in Beijing."I also think that in terms of cultivating a good character, tai chi is better than activities like muay thai."Ary S, a Russian public relations manager in Beijing, said: "Tai chi is typical 'Eastern stuff ', and I'd like to learn it. I see foreign media love to write about Chinese CEOs performing tai chi with their employees."In just a few years since its commercialization, tai chi has acquired the status of a management technique that can help better manage oneself, one's team and business, potentially boosting profits.Besides, tai chi is seen as a potential revenue booster for the tourism industry. Since the 2008 Beijing Olympics, explorers of foreign cultures and backpackers alike have been taking to it with gusto.On Trip Advisor website, a US tourist shared his experience of an introductory tai chi session in Beijing. He wrote the teacher initiated the tourist group into tai chi slowly, and patiently explained its meaning and benefits. "We loved every minute. What a great experience."Tai chi presents a contrast to other combat sports like kick-boxing, kung fu or muay thai that require speed and strength.Although it was designed to be a self-defense skill, tai chi's modern practitioners feel it can help reduce stress and calm the mind.The philosophy of balancing inner energies is similar to managing a company, Ma once said. He also said he developed leadership abilities from Taoism, management skills from Confucianism and inspiration to live a normal life from Buddhism. "And tai chi is what combines all separate parts together."Fosun Group's Guo, another Chinese billionaire, is also passionate about tai chi. "It doesn't require large spaces or a whole set of equipment like golf. It is a more sustainable exercise. I used to be very irritable and constantly yelled at my team. We've that anger in our belly and we need to calm it down."So, Guo applied tai chi in his work. "It doesn't teach you how to be fast but how to react faster. In investing, one can never always stay ahead of the market reaction. But tai chi made me react more spontaneously to change."In 2011, at a Fosun branding event on Wall Street, Guo pitched tai chi to entrepreneurs. Ever since, he has been performing tai chi at the group's annual dinner in New York.He also introduced tai chi to his friends such as Dai Zhikang, founder and chairman of Zendai Group.Tai chi itself has become an intellectual property and has spawned many businesses, products and services.In April 2012, famous kung fu actor Li Lianjie, known in the West as Jet Li, and Alibaba's Ma jointly founded Taiji Zen International Culture Co Ltd by investing 50 million yuan ($7.3 million). Taiji Zen developed tai chi-related cultural products and services.Four years later, it set up a cultural institute that provides not only martial art tutorials but 18-day courses in philosophy for entrepreneurs that can cost up to 99,800 yuan."Promoting tai chi is not only a challenging career for me but a way to show my gratitude and give back to my predecessors, teachers and the whole martial arts world," said Jet Li."Tai chi can provide a guideline for those running a business," Alibaba's Ma said. "Copying Western management system isn't enough to run an enterprise in China, it needs supports from its deep Eastern cultural roots. That's why, we set up the tai chi school."Huang Zhongda, the first person to commercialize tai chi and founder of i-Tai Ching, said he realized tai chi has huge potential when he was studying for his senior management consultant certificate."Entrepreneurs usually suffer from suboptimal health, so practising tai chi can help improve mental and physical health," said Huang."But those entrepreneurs don't like hanging out with senior citizens in a public park. Instead, they need exclusive high-end spaces to practise," he said.Soon after he picked up the martial art, Guo invested in i-Tai Ching and co-founded i-Tai Ching Sports Development Co Ltd in 2010. The i-Tai Ching elite clubs have spread across China's top-tier cities including Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou.Monthly memberships of such clubs can cost 35,000 yuan. In a sense, this turns the tai chi schools into elite social clubs that are becoming popular among even expatriates."Tai chi can help people to relax and harmonize their life, bring peace and balance, which transcends elegantly into company management. I would recommend trying it to everyone," said David B. Allen, CFA, a Canadian in Shanghai.Lin Shuyun, a Thai student of the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, said: "Tai chi can calm people down, and it's not too difficult to learn. There are no limitations related to space and time. I think tai chi helps practitioners, including entrepreneurs, to keep healthy and to learn some values of life."Indonesia's Bagas Deka Kurtianto, Lin Shuyun's university mate, said: "Many entrepreneurs appear to be under too much stress. Tai chi can eliminate their bad emotions and pressure. It can also help them to cultivate patience and inner calm, which should help in company management. An even-tempered manager can win respect of employees while a short-tempered manager would terrify staff."The bottom line is, Chinese martial arts are becoming popular across the world. The Mei Quan Academy of Taiji, a London-based tai chi club, now has 48 branches from hipster center Camden Town to affluent Chelsea and central district Russel Square. It also has a presence in Australia, Japan, the US and Europe.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

fingers crossed for Tai Chi...

Asian Games: Will Alibaba boss Jack Ma sing ‘Unchained Melody’ at Indonesia closing ceremony or will he perform Tai Chi?
    The Alibaba co-founder will take part in the ceremony to hand over the Asian Games flag to his hometown of Hangzhou, host of the 2022 Games

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 01 September, 2018, 7:20pm
    UPDATED : Saturday, 01 September, 2018, 8:58pm
    Nazvi Careem

Alibaba co-founder and executive chairman Jack Ma has reportedly told people he will perform at the Asian Games 2018 closing ceremony in Jakarta on Sunday.

Ma met Olympic Council of Asia president Sheikh Ahmed Al-Fahad Al-Sabah on Saturday morning and it was at this meeting he told those present that he would perform at the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium to mark the end of a successful Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang.

An official who was at the meeting but who requested anonymity because they were not authorised to speak, confirmed that Ma told those present he would be performing.

His entourage applauded after he made the announcement. Ma’s office, though, informed the SCMP that he would only make a short remark at the ceremony but not perform.

Another source suggested that Ma will not sing but perform some Tai Chi during the show. Ma is a Tai Chi master and says he uses the discipline’s philosophy in his business dealings and in his daily life.

Taijiquan and Taijijian are part of the Asian Games wushu disciplines.

Ma will take part in the ceremony to hand over the baton to Chinese city Hangzhou, his hometown, which is hosting the 2022 Asian Games. The Alibaba billionaire is a major force behind Hangzhou’s successful bid to stage the next Games.

Jack Ma (eight) with Olympic Council of Asian official Wei Jizhong at the Asian Games men’s volleyball final between China and Thailand.

The South China Morning Post is a subsidiary of Alibaba.

The 53-year-old Ma has performed in public before, most notably at the Yunqi Music Festival in October last year when he and Chinese singer Li Jian sang a duet of the latter’s hit song “Legend”.

Ma, wearing sunglasses and wearing a hip jacket, remained on stage to sing three more songs solo – Unchained Melody, Jonathan Lee’s I Finally Lost you and Wang Feng’s When I’m Thinking of You.

The Yunqi festival was part of the Computing Conference 2017 that was hosted by Alibaba Cloud in Hangzhou.

The Asian Games opening ceremony on August 18. Photo: Reuters

Jakarta brings the curtain down on what has been a hugely successful Asian Games, surprising the world with its organisation, relative efficiency and, most of all, its spectacular opening ceremony on August 18 that set new standards for future Olympics and regional multisports events to emulate.

At the closing ceremony on Sunday, Hangzhou mayor Xu Liyi will receive the Asian Games flag from Jakarta officials and will take it back to the Chinese city as they begin their preparations for the 2022 Games.
    THREADS
    Asian Games
    Jack Ma & Alibaba
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jack didn't sing or do Tai Chi

He just announced the next games in his hometown.

THREADS
    Asian Games
    Jack Ma & Alibaba
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

slightly ot

Not a billionaire, but an expat entrepreneur. Maybe a billionaire someday...

Dec 15, 2019, 03:49pm
    China Expat Entrepreneur: In Search of Asia's Perrier
    Russell Flannery
    Forbes Staff
    Asia

American entrepreneur Ian Ford has lived in China for more than two decades. R FLANNERY

As China’s wealth has soared in the past two decades, the country has become one of the world’s largest spirits markets. Asia on the whole – particularly India and China – are likely to boast some of the world’s best growth in consumption of spirits, according to a survey by IBISWorld.

American entrepreneur Ian Ford has lived in China for more than two decades and been a part of the spirits industry’s growth here, first working with Seagram and helping to market its Martell cognac, Chivas Regal scotch and Absolut Vodka beverages. He then started what would become one of the country’s largest spirits importers, Summergate; it grew to nearly 400 staff before Ford and a partner sold the business for an undisclosed amount to Woolworths of Australia in 2014.

Ford, 48, is busy nowadays building a new company, Nimbility, that supports wine and spirits imports as well as premium drinks including water. He invests in beverage brands through Lightkeeper Studio, and is particularly hopeful on a new brand started this year, Highlite. I recently spoke to Ford in his WeWork office along Shanghai’s historic Huai Hai Road shopping street. Excerpts follow.

Q. How’d you first come to China?

A. The first instance was after my freshman year at Duke University. I studied Chinese, and came out on my own. My stepmother is an American-born-Chinese, and I had extended relatives through her in Shanghai. It was 1990, and I was 18. I spent a month in Hong Kong on the way, and stayed at Chungking Mansion. It is very colorful in 1990, I can tell you. Whenever I'm over in Tsim Sha Shui in Hong Kong, I go and take a look, just for a trip down memory lane.

I had been studying Chinese, sort of diving into Chinese language and culture, and, at 19, I was also reading books and thinking about the great trading families of the 1800s and all that was Hong Kong back then.

In Shanghai, I stayed with a family, I studied tai-chi, and worked on my Chinese. I taught English a little bit in a company office, but had no structured program. I was just here living, enjoying it, and kind of falling in love with China in 1990. I also studied in Beijing for six months.

I went back to Duke and finished up my degree, but I had really been bitten by the bug. And I had continued to study Chinese through Duke. I knew after I graduated that I wanted to move to China, at least for a while, find a job, work, and use the Chinese that I had learned.

I went to work for Seagram, the spirits and wine company that was the owner of Chivas Regal and Martell Cognac brands which were already two quite big brands in China at that point. Well, sorry, I should say Martell Cognac was, Chivas Regal was not. At that time, it was all about cognac. This was now 1995, and the imported spirits market was basically cognac. Basically, it was Hennessey Martell and Remy, fighting it out, over the cognac market.

That's what I stepped into. We did 20,000-30,000 cases in the first year, which wasn’t insignificant. Now they're up to about 700,000-800,000 cases of 12-year-old scotch.

I was based back in Beijing and did that for about five years. During that time, I worked on a strategy project for them to with Boston Consulting Group to help advise them on how to restructure their China business, to get more more control, more transparency, more ability to direct the route to market and distribution, and better deploy the sales team.

Back then in the late 1990s, you weren’t entitled by law to be a distributor. You could only have rep offices. So, we recommended a complete change whereby you set up a bonded zone trading company. And in Shanghai in Waigaoqiao, you could have a trading license and be wholly foreign owned. You just physically needed to be contained in the free trade zone.

From there, you could transact with mainland China entities directly, and have contracts and all of that. You just couldn't be physically in Nanjing or Xi'an, or you couldn't open offices there with your own trading company. So we had a little bit of a hybrid at that point of the bonded zone trading company and then still some rep offices. It was fascinating, and I had the chance to work with Boston Consulting Group guys, who are obviously very smart -- slightly theoretical, but very smart.

At the tail end of that, I decided that I wanted to either move back to the U.S. or start my own business. I started the business, which was Summergate. That was in the middle of 1999. We got our business license in July of 1999, at a time when the imported wine category was almost nonexistent. The imported wine market then was China basically to supply the five-star hotels that were key to tourists, and also supplied sort of Western restaurants in Beijing and Shanghai, including M on the Bund, which had just opened. My partner and I felt that there was a big upside in imported wine as the Chinese economy developed and as interest in imported drinks grew. We went full at it.

Q. What had you achieved by the time you sold Summergate?

A. We had just under 400 employees. We had 13 offices around Greater China. We were in Hong Kong, Macau and the mainland. We had probably 100 agency brands. We were the sole distributor of Perrier mineral water. At the end of 2014, we sold the business, after a long due diligence process, to Woolworths of Australia. We sold the entirety of the business -- there was no stage process with options, and that sort of thing. It was sign and close -- 100%. I stayed on to manage it for them for a while and then I left.

By early 2018, I was in a position to start Nimbility two partners who were both also in the wine and spirits industry based out of Hong Kong. Nimbility’s whole purpose for being is to help drink producers build markets in Asia. Drinks being wine, spirits, beer, beverages -- basically anything drinkable and premium. Typically, we're building markets, meaning routes to market development, importers, distributors, distribution, brand-building strategy, activation, communications, PR and WeChat.. Another piece is market intelligence. We’re able to inform the brand owner or the producer what's going on in the markets out here, their competitors, market trends, and how their brand is doing. So that's Nimbility.

Q. What's your biggest success so far with Nimbility?

A. Probably Vina Casa Silva from Chile. We've expanded the China market for them with additional importers, a program to expand their portfolio and get them into different channels. We've grown their business by easily by 50% year-on-year in a year when everyone's talking about the market tightening up and being in decline. They’re expanding and taking market share.

Another success is Highlite, a start-up company and a brand new drink brand. It's freshly brewed from yerba mate tea, and it's a very natural product with zero sugar and zero calories. It’s carbonated, so it's sparkling. It's got a fairly good dose of natural caffeine, so it has a sort of natural energy lift. We're positioning it as a premium soft drink in and for Asia. We find that in China, really the only premium beverages that you see are imported. Brands like, Perrier are global and imported, whereas Highlite is engineered and made for Asia

Q. Who makes it?

A. This is an interesting side story. We consider ourselves a brewer, and in many instances, we work with craft beer breweries as a gypsy brewer. What we mean by that is that we can move around. We might produce in Taiwan. We produced our first batch in Hong Kong. It looks like we're going to produce in Australia, also, but we have a very, very tight formula for how Highlite is produced.

Highlite aims at the premium market. NIMBILITY

Q. Why wouldn't you produce Highlite in mainland China?

A. We will produce it here. The yerba mate tea has not yet been registered as an ingredient. It's not prohibited, but it just hasn't been registered. And the registration process takes about a year, so we're under way with that. We've got to get it registered, then we can produce here, which is what we're going to do.

-- Follow me @rflannerychina
    Russell Flannery
    I'm a senior editor and the Shanghai bureau chief of Forbes magazine. Now in my 16th year at Forbes, I compile the Forbes China Rich List and the Taiwan Rich List. I was previously a correspondent for Bloomberg News in Taipei and Shanghai and for the Asian Wall Street Journal in Taipei. I'm a Massachusetts native, fluent Mandarin speaker, and hold degrees from the University of Vermont and the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Transport June 5, 2023
    Blackberry founder Mike Lazaridis’ $150 million superyacht has a dedicated Tai Chi room with a ceiling tall enough to wield a sword above the head. The billionaire clad his 262 feet vessel in 70 tons of glass. It boasts a movie theater and an artistic 14-seater cosmic dining table.
    by Neha Tandon Sharma

Artefact, the motor yacht of the year for 2021, is another example of Nobiskrug’s yacht-building prowess after Sailing Yacht A. The 262-footer is a sailing statement of unrestricted imagination and technological advancement, and is built by family, for family Artefact is the culmination of efforts that came together after owner Mike Lazaridis and his clan experienced the wonders of a yacht on holiday. Let’s take a detailed look at the Artefact superyacht –

What sets Artefact apart from its counterparts?
    Simply saying that this luxury vessel is different from whatever sails on the high seas isn’t enough. Small elements like the yacht’s layout, materials used, and design give this yacht an edge. The forward area of the boat only accommodates the owner’s panoramic office on the owner’s deck, while operations consume the rest. The forward end of the main deck houses a well-designed crew area with a lounge and guest cabins located centrally on the deck below.

The main lounge is an elegant space that uses ample glass and flaunts a ceiling made of carved oak over acoustic panels wrapped in Majilite (faux leather) inspired by Lazaridis’s house. The saloon houses an armillary sphere as an ode to Lazaridis’s love for science. Before Galileo, he explained, “Armillary spheres were super complicated and not that accurate, but once humans realized the earth was not at the center, the armillary became very simple. This one helps you navigate the earth and figure out where all the constellations are.”

The Tai Chi room

The 262-footer features a central staircase, and a lift, placed adjacent to the cabins for ease of maneuvering. The owner’s deck is a palatial space with an office, a Tai Chi room with added ceiling height to wield a sword, and a crafts room as they have at home. The artistic touch is this space is the very eye-catching Su embroidery. Art is as prevalent as avant-garde technology in Artefact.

The owners office.

How can it not be when art is in the name of the pleasure craft? Undoubtedly, the $150 million asset is the only motoryacht that can boast the most exceptional formal dining space, nearly otherworldly. The “Cosmic Table” is a stunning dining room table for 14, inspired by the owner’s love of astronomy. Made of steel clad in composite, it is an artistic representation of the cosmos.

Bronze planets, metalized resin satellites, orbit a planetary compass. Per Boat International, laser-cut metalized inlays document their movements around the sky. The dining room chandelier emulates the astronomical element made by interior outfitter List. The light-up domes represent the planets on their path around the solar system. Reymond Langton Design has set a new benchmark with this suave and smart superyacht. It is correctly called the perfect marriage of art and science through ground-breaking architectural design and innovative engineering.

The exterior, designed by Gregory C. Marshall, features 8,073 square feet of glass weighing 70 tons. “We did not just put in an interior, we really [strived] for the interior to work with the outside, the acoustic, and the volume. It is one of the cleverest designs we’ve done. It is a smart boat,” Reymond said.

The owners cabin.

Artefact adds oodles of fun to the yachting experience with three tenders, including one custom tender built by Lloyd Stevenson Boatbuilders. The boat accommodates 16 guests in 8 cabins who are entertained by amenities like a beauty salon, movie theatre, and a well-equipped gym. Powered by twin diesel-electric Caterpillar 814hp engines, she cruises at 15 knots, with a maximum speed of 17 knots.

Blackberry billionaire Mike Lazaridis owns the Artefact yacht-
    The 62-year-old Canadian tycoon worth $1.9 billion served as the co-chairman and co-CEO of BlackBerry from 1984 to 2012. Born in Istanbul, Turkey, the science enthusiast won a prize at the Windsor Public Library for reading every science book in the library (he was five years old when his family moved to Canada). He enrolled at the University of Waterloo in electrical engineering. Merely two months before graduation Lazardiris dropped out owing to a General Motors contract to develop a network computer control display system. The contract, along with a government grant and a loan from Lazaridis’s parents, helped the businessman to launch Research In Motion which eventually developed the BlackBerry brand. The BlackBerry wireless mobile device was introduced in 1999. Lazaridis resigned in 2012, and the BlackBerry phone line was discontinued in 2016. Lazaridis now looks after his investment company Quantum Valley Investments, and dedicated his time to philanthropy, and education donations.
    Maybe I should omit the Chinese distinction in the title of the thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips