Thread: Does current TCMA training culture need to change?

Threaded View

Does current TCMA training culture need to change?

I'd like to make the argument that the current TCMA training culture is flawed in how it prepares students for practical real life situations and needs to change if it wants to survive. I believe part of the reason is that there is a misguided over reliance on forms as a sufficient means to prepare TCMA students for real fights. Now Im not knocking forms because I feel they serve a very practical purpose to learn new techniques, improve coordination, balance, etc. But I also believe they are being misused in many TCMA schools. I myself was even taught to think that practicing forms over and over and over will somehow make a technique second nature to me in a real fight. This just simply isn't the case. Watch any fight, sanctioned or not, you rarely ever see a TCMA fighter utilize any techniques outside of basic kickboxing moves. Why is that?

TCMA has so many practical techniques to offer, yet MMA fighters (who pride themselves on reducing a fighter's repertoire to just the simple and practical moves) seemingly execute more techniques than TCMA fighters during matches. TCMA boasters a plethora of unique techniques, forms, chi-na, etc, but watch any youtube fight (sanctioned or not) and all you see are basic kickboxing moves. Why is that? Where did all that training go? We train all these moves for years to NOT use them in a real fight?

Yes, you could argue that sanctioned matches have rules that eliminate a great deal of a TCMA fighter's repertoire. And there is validity to that argument... but only to an extent. Because when you watch a video of TCMA fighter in a street fight, where there are no rules, nothing changes. You don't see an increase in the amount of unique techniques being utilized. You don't see a difference between one TCMA style and the other. You just see TCMA fighters resorting to the same basic kickboxing moves despite training in vastly different styles. Why?

People want to argue that TCMA is not practical because the moves are too flashy or too complicated to be used in a real fight. But you watch an MMA fight and you can see these MMA fighters executing complicated grappling moves, and depending on their opponent, sometimes with relative ease. So complication of techniques certainly can't be the reason. So why aren't more TCMA fighters executing chi-na moves with the same kind of ease as MMA fighters executing leg/arm locks in fights?

Here is what concerns me about the current TCMA training culture...
    TCMA fighters are most likely not even thinking about these moves.

They've never had the real chance make it second nature to them. Let's take the Phoenix Eye Punch as an example. It's a very simple, practical, and straight forward technique. Nothing complicated about it in anyway and depending on where you strike can have a far more devastating blow to the opponent than a standard punch. Any and all TCMA style practice it.

Now you can argue that you don't use it or want to use it because you care about your opponent. I totally get that and would feel the same way. I wouldn't want to wish harm or death on anyone. But that's not the point Im trying to make. The point Im trying to make is, do you even think about Phoenix Eye Punch as an option to execute during a real fight or sparring match? If the answer is no, does that not concern you? The same goes for any technique unique to your style. The idea that you put all this time and effort into trying to master these unique techniques and it doesn't even cross your mind while engaged in a high pressure environment against a resisting opponent is problem to me. Unfortunately, MMA fighters do not deal with this problem. Their training culture allows them to confidently know that if engaged in a fight, they know they can and will executed their personally battle tested techniques.

If the technique you've learned doesn't cross your mind in a fight then it means it's most likely not second nature to you. So what was all that training for if all you're going to do is basic kickboxing moves as everyone else?

This applies to me as well. It's something Ive been thinking about for quite a while now. I studied TCMA mantis for years and very very rarely did I ever think about using a mantis claw technique when sparring. The mantis claw is the entire center of the Mantis system, its very practical, and I practiced it over and over and over in drills and forms, yet, I rarely ever thought about executing it in a free sparring session against a resisting opponent. Why?

Let me conclude this by saying that I disagree with MMA enthusiasts that TCMA is not realistic or practical. I strongly believe TCMA is very practical. My issue is that TCMA is not teaching those practical moves in practical ways. This is why MMA fighters keep dominating TCMA fighters. We want to blame MMA for implementing rules that hinder a TCMA fighters capabilities, but the unfortunate reality is that TCMA has implemented its own rules that have hindered its own fighters. The vast majority of TCMA schools utilize 3 point win sparring system while wearing heavy pads and only strikes to the body. TCMA's love for those cheap karate pads prevent it's own students from training a mantis claw or chi-na technique in a sparring match so that the technique becomes second nature. Unique TCMA moves are not going to be second nature because you practiced them over and over in forms or in padded drills. The become 2nd nature when they've been battle tested and unfortunately the current TCMA training culture has restricted its own students from battle testing practical moves unique to TCMA.
    Last edited by Gweilo_Fist; 09-01-2017 at 09:37 AM.