Thread: Does current TCMA training culture need to change?

Hybrid View

post video of u doing a bak mei technique and I will post one of me doing it faster

I have never done bak mei

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    post video of u doing a bak mei technique and I will post one of me doing it faster

I have never done bak mei
    lol the Sub Jee video i posted was filmed 3 years before those two guys taught me Sub Jee in 2011 I have nothing to prove but i think it would be awesome if you watch the Sub Jee video at slow speed on youtube then show us how fast you are.

I`ve seen guys good at kickboxing and good at other Kung Fu styles be too slow at Sub Jee they don`t have relaxed tendons to do the float, sink and twist one hand grabs one hand strike hands with fast footwork and explosive knees going low to high.

Sub Jee, Ying Jow 9 Step Push the videos are less than 2 minutes but it takes 10 years to perform from instinct..I posted my seniors videos so its even better than me showing and good for you it only takes 30 seconds to do Sub Jee when I first learned it it took me like 50 seconds to perform, even now if I dont train for a month and dont warm up it takes like 40 seconds, but for you it should take 25 seconds. lol

random thoughts on this subject

If you give your art enough time, have an open mind and are actively seeking trying to make your art more effective for you, you'll succeed.

Sport martial artists get really good at relatively few techniques from their system - they theoretically know way more than they'll ever be able to use and that's ok.

Nothing looks perfect in execution therefore it's really the principles behind the techniques that matter.

If you practice self defense which includes any type of weapon disarms - grow some ballz, invest in or make some safe approximations of the weapon, and have someone come at you like they want to kill you with intent and see if the sh*t you're spewing works. If not - keep analyzing the principles and improvise until you can make it work close to 100% of the time. I guarantee that most of what you think will work doesn't but you'll run across one or two techniques or principles that actually work.

You lose skill quickly without constant practice.

The core will always be Shuai, Na, Ti, and Da. You have to include some improvised rough-housing in each of those areas to be able to use your system. Most, if not all TCMA include the core.

In spite of what you may have heard - being crazy strong and in shape does increase effectiveness.

One good, eye-opening exercise that is (relatively) safe is to try to fight off and/or disarm someone coming at you freestyle, armed with a red Sharpie permanent marker, which represents a knife. At least some eye protection is still recommended. The other person doesn't have to be trained in 'knife combatives'. Even a child will be almost impossible to disarm without getting marked ("cut") up to some degree or other, if you make it into a game for them: "Try to mark me up, and don't let me take it away from you." They don't even have to "stab" you; they can mark the hell out of your hands and arms which, if it were a real knife, would/could be debilitating. It wouldn't matter how much kung fu or any other MA you know.

As far as forms go, showing speed, intent and 'killing power' in a form (or not) is not always an indication of a person's fighting ability. There are many MAists who look very aggressive and powerful, with lots of obvious and subtle techniques, who for whatever reason show none of that during sparring or fighting. One thing you learn, if you're around MA long enough, is not to underestimate (or overestimate) anyone you've never faced based on superficial impressions. Even if their technique doesn't appear worthy of your standards. Some people just have "it" in them and can fight with whatever they have, even without much (or any) formal training. And there are others who don't have "it" in their nature, regardless of how good they look doing a form, or how much training they've had.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-07-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    One good, eye-opening exercise that is (relatively) safe is to try to fight off and/or disarm someone coming at you freestyle, armed with a red Sharpie permanent marker, which represents a knife. At least some eye protection is still recommended. The other person doesn't have to be trained in 'knife combatives'. Even a child will be almost impossible to disarm without getting marked ("cut") up to some degree or other, if you make it into a game for them: "Try to mark me up, and don't let me take it away from you." They don't even have to "stab" you; they can mark the hell out of your hands and arms which, if it were a real knife, would/could be debilitating. It wouldn't matter how much kung fu or any other MA you know.

As far as forms go, showing speed, intent and 'killing power' in a form (or not) is not always an indication of a person's fighting ability. There are many MAists who look very aggressive and powerful, with lots of obvious and subtle techniques, who for whatever reason show none of that during sparring or fighting. One thing you learn, if you're around MA long enough, is not to underestimate (or overestimate) anyone you've never faced based on superficial impressions. Even if their technique doesn't appear worthy of your standards. Some people just have "it" in them and can fight with whatever they have, even without much (or any) formal training. And there are others who don't have "it" in their nature, regardless of how good they look doing a form, or how much training they've had.
    Just thinking out loud lol.

I think there is a level of skill where you are fit and flexible enough to adapt to any style.

Punching takes tight core

Kicking full range of motion with hip flexibility

wrestling and grappling basically imo the best strength BJJ guys have is moving a 200 pound opponent around on top of him so if you are on your back doing a 200 pound bench press you can only bring the bar to your chest and extend it forward like a kickboxer lifting weights for fitness the BJJ guy on his back is pushing a 200 pound guy up like a bench press but then he has to rotate the 200 pound weight from side to side while also doing the push off 200 pound bench press which would break your spine if you tried to roll side to side with a 200 pound weight.

So stand up guys do basic weight lifting workout wrestlers and grapplers do that too but also get dynamic weightlifting from moving guys heavier off of them.

Then kickbox the best thing you get is defensive reflexes in your guard sparring against guys heavier or faster than you, I don`t like MMA stand up offensive techniques because it seems like a false sense of security if you are a lightweight thinking your Muay Thai lightweight Pee Wee Herman champion belt can take out Brock Lesner or Tyson Fury for the Heavyweight belt, lol.

So if you have tight core, good flexibility in full range of motion punching and kicking with your shoulders and hips, strong grapplers back and float like a butterfly sting like a bee Heavyweight boxing reflexes I think you could learn any style easily.

For Kung Fu my sifu has taught Bak Mei for over 4 decades and I know he knows the 3 internal styles so if you are a good fighter like mentioned above with the tight shoulders and hips, grapplers back and Ali reflexes then for Chinese Martial arts you have southern two hand short fist and Northern Long Fist all the weapons from staff to throwing darts and knowing the difference between the hard and soft styles...If you have UFC fighting and Mastery of general Kung Fu forms you could easily say go learn other cultures styles from Philipino Stick fighting to Brazilian capoeira.

Like if you have an old guy who knows 1 hard kung fu style but knows the 3 internal styles and is good with weapons and fighting who then teaches his style to a younger guy from a different hard style who only does his style. The younger guy will perform the new style he is being shown with elements of his old style, but if the old guy performs the young guys style it will look good after a month of learning it from the young guy but the young guy will take a few years to adapt to the new hard style from the old guy.

the young guy just got good at sparring with his original style but has trouble learning the new style as he lacks sparring with all the weapons and movements from the new hard style which may be too Longfist for him so he has to be more athletic to explode long or it could be too short hand so his longfist isn`t tight enough so he looks awkward while doing the floating and sinking short fist twisting movements. I was like that for 5 years with Bak Mei lol I had an injured hip and did white crane before I kept leaning in Sub Jee...Jik Bo and the Bak Mei Staff helped with that.

Anyway it would be Ideal to start martial arts as soon as you can walk then when you get to college fight until age 30 and then you have to take in to account not everybody lives in towns with good schools to even learn all the good stuff.

But really even if you had all the good stuff it would cost like half a million dollars to be black belt BJJ, Muay Thai Champ and Sifu in Tai Chi, Wing Chun and Choi Li Fut or Hung Gar...Soft, Hard, Internal External styles. and then go 10-0 8 by ko UFC fighting record. Most people dont have the genes or the cash to do all of that.
    Last edited by diego; 09-07-2017 at 05:18 PM.

This style and that style lol it`s the great debate of our time but a lot of it is just media hype not everyone has access to the best coaches and many who do who like to talk about this style and that style never did the steroids to go pro with the big boys from your average meathead mma school to your local university karate dojo.

My BJJ Bouncer buddy hates kata like he is a big guy wrestling is his thing since he was young and mike tyson showed him how to use his top heavy body with western boxing knock out combo punches elbows and knees...but if mma guys are so good then why not show us how good you are at lion dance, karate, every weapons and gymnastic ballet contemperory wu shu I mean these guys would be rich like my buddy has a class probably switches between 20-50 BJJ students depending on the season of the year...why not go to the chinese lion dance parade and recruit they have them in most big cities like mma guys who never went pro are using media hype to diss classical styles and lose all those nice red paper envelopes lol.

I mean the average youtube mma amatuer guy has 30 000 youtube subscrubers the ninja Jake Mace master of every style has ove 500 000 subs lol

the media dumb.

There is 100 000 000 Karate practitioners out there why doesnt Chuck Lidell and Tito Ortiz recruit them for there MMA-Karate dojo fitness dvds.

It will be cool to see martial art demos from like 20 years from now when more traditional schools students have grown up with UFC on X Box and PS4

you could do the lion dance leading into the kumite where you have young point sparrers surrounding the older guys cage fighting it would make billions.