Thread: Does current TCMA training culture need to change?

Hybrid View

Does current TCMA training culture need to change?

I'd like to make the argument that the current TCMA training culture is flawed in how it prepares students for practical real life situations and needs to change if it wants to survive. I believe part of the reason is that there is a misguided over reliance on forms as a sufficient means to prepare TCMA students for real fights. Now Im not knocking forms because I feel they serve a very practical purpose to learn new techniques, improve coordination, balance, etc. But I also believe they are being misused in many TCMA schools. I myself was even taught to think that practicing forms over and over and over will somehow make a technique second nature to me in a real fight. This just simply isn't the case. Watch any fight, sanctioned or not, you rarely ever see a TCMA fighter utilize any techniques outside of basic kickboxing moves. Why is that?

TCMA has so many practical techniques to offer, yet MMA fighters (who pride themselves on reducing a fighter's repertoire to just the simple and practical moves) seemingly execute more techniques than TCMA fighters during matches. TCMA boasters a plethora of unique techniques, forms, chi-na, etc, but watch any youtube fight (sanctioned or not) and all you see are basic kickboxing moves. Why is that? Where did all that training go? We train all these moves for years to NOT use them in a real fight?

Yes, you could argue that sanctioned matches have rules that eliminate a great deal of a TCMA fighter's repertoire. And there is validity to that argument... but only to an extent. Because when you watch a video of TCMA fighter in a street fight, where there are no rules, nothing changes. You don't see an increase in the amount of unique techniques being utilized. You don't see a difference between one TCMA style and the other. You just see TCMA fighters resorting to the same basic kickboxing moves despite training in vastly different styles. Why?

People want to argue that TCMA is not practical because the moves are too flashy or too complicated to be used in a real fight. But you watch an MMA fight and you can see these MMA fighters executing complicated grappling moves, and depending on their opponent, sometimes with relative ease. So complication of techniques certainly can't be the reason. So why aren't more TCMA fighters executing chi-na moves with the same kind of ease as MMA fighters executing leg/arm locks in fights?

Here is what concerns me about the current TCMA training culture...
    TCMA fighters are most likely not even thinking about these moves.

They've never had the real chance make it second nature to them. Let's take the Phoenix Eye Punch as an example. It's a very simple, practical, and straight forward technique. Nothing complicated about it in anyway and depending on where you strike can have a far more devastating blow to the opponent than a standard punch. Any and all TCMA style practice it.

Now you can argue that you don't use it or want to use it because you care about your opponent. I totally get that and would feel the same way. I wouldn't want to wish harm or death on anyone. But that's not the point Im trying to make. The point Im trying to make is, do you even think about Phoenix Eye Punch as an option to execute during a real fight or sparring match? If the answer is no, does that not concern you? The same goes for any technique unique to your style. The idea that you put all this time and effort into trying to master these unique techniques and it doesn't even cross your mind while engaged in a high pressure environment against a resisting opponent is problem to me. Unfortunately, MMA fighters do not deal with this problem. Their training culture allows them to confidently know that if engaged in a fight, they know they can and will executed their personally battle tested techniques.

If the technique you've learned doesn't cross your mind in a fight then it means it's most likely not second nature to you. So what was all that training for if all you're going to do is basic kickboxing moves as everyone else?

This applies to me as well. It's something Ive been thinking about for quite a while now. I studied TCMA mantis for years and very very rarely did I ever think about using a mantis claw technique when sparring. The mantis claw is the entire center of the Mantis system, its very practical, and I practiced it over and over and over in drills and forms, yet, I rarely ever thought about executing it in a free sparring session against a resisting opponent. Why?

Let me conclude this by saying that I disagree with MMA enthusiasts that TCMA is not realistic or practical. I strongly believe TCMA is very practical. My issue is that TCMA is not teaching those practical moves in practical ways. This is why MMA fighters keep dominating TCMA fighters. We want to blame MMA for implementing rules that hinder a TCMA fighters capabilities, but the unfortunate reality is that TCMA has implemented its own rules that have hindered its own fighters. The vast majority of TCMA schools utilize 3 point win sparring system while wearing heavy pads and only strikes to the body. TCMA's love for those cheap karate pads prevent it's own students from training a mantis claw or chi-na technique in a sparring match so that the technique becomes second nature. Unique TCMA moves are not going to be second nature because you practiced them over and over in forms or in padded drills. The become 2nd nature when they've been battle tested and unfortunately the current TCMA training culture has restricted its own students from battle testing practical moves unique to TCMA.
    Last edited by Gweilo_Fist; 09-01-2017 at 09:37 AM.

You made some good points.

I will point out that this subject has been brought up many, many times here. The fact is, it's not the styles that are superior or inferior, it's the training approaches, methods and mindsets. That's it in a nutshell. There is nothing at all wrong with safety gloves, as long as you are aware it's an aspect of training, and not the only approach used. The fact is, we can discuss techniques that are 'too deadly', etc., but someone can be killed by a simple punch to the head (trained or untrained). OTOH, some people on the street have taken full-power 'foolproof deadly tactics', such as groin kicks (or had someone try to rake their eyes out) and, due to drugs and/or adrenalin, either gave the person who attempted to use them on him a serious beatdown, or got away with apparent minimal injury. So (IMO) the 'too deadly' argument is a bit weak. There is no way to safely and realistically approximate actual eye-jabbing with bare fingers in 2-person training, other than by wearing safety equipment (gloves and perhaps safety masks?) and approximate it with standard jabbing w/the fist. That is only one example.

Jigoro Kano, founder of Judo, created a streamlined, safer and more realistic method of practicing some aspects of Jujutsu, and in a contest, his students basically beat the students of the 'deadlier' Jujutsu methods.

It should also be noted that not all TCMA groups train the same, even within the 'same' system. If you have trained your style for actual application (including lots of drilling and sparring with it), it can become second nature. You must start out simple, with the most basic of skills. You're not trying to incorporate every possible technique, just a few at a time, first slowly and then gradually under pressure. Then you gradually incorporate more into workable fighting combinations. Otherwise, if you try unrealistically to incorporate things from forms without a good foundation, you'll say "Eff it" and just spar like substandard PKA kickboxing. I suspect many schools find the latter way much easier than actually analyzing and incorporating realistic training drills and various sparring methods to apply the style.

Fighting with CMA does not look like a "Shaw Brothers movie", as many love to point out. There's no wild poses or doing fancy moves to the air as you face off. If it's thoroughly ingrained, there will be no self-conscious attempts to 'look like kung fu'. Some things will initially look like kickboxing, but if an observer knows what they're seeing, they ought to be able to spot the differences. I remember once in the '90s competing against another advanced-level fighter from another CLF school/lineage who fought strictly with kickboxing. When I used simple CLF combination attacks, he seemed confused and a bit flustered. I also out-landed him, but for some reason received a warning for using Kup Choi. Afterwards, I wondered why he was so unfamiliar with basic CLF, but didn't ask.

A classmate of mine in another division had a similar experience with another CLF guy that he fought. After their match, the guy said, "Wow, you're using CLF!" My classmate asked him why HE wasn't using any, seeing that he was also a CLF guy. The guy told him that kickboxing is easier to learn to fight with, so that's what their school uses in fighting.

It has everything to do with how you train, as opposed to the style itself. It requires a degree of streamlining.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-01-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Like Jimbo said, this topic was a main thread starter on this forum for years. I realized that I don't have a great answer for this question. IMO, you study a TCMA because you enjoy it for the sake of practicing it. Leave it at that and don't make too much out of it. As far as self defense - I say sure, why not - because it doesn't really matter. There are so many variants to what people mean when they use the words "self-defense" - The reality is that it's all Hogwash. Violence. That's the key variable. You have to understand violence. No MA can teach you how to prepare for violence. Some martial arts are really good for the octagon, or acting tough with bullies. But they all fail to prepare anyone for real violence.
    Last edited by MightyB; 09-01-2017 at 11:03 AM.

My advice to anyone who's able and young enough - do what my kid did - 13 weeks OSUT on Sand Hill. Wish I would have done it. That's the real martial arts.

@Jimbo
    I agree with pretty all of your points. And provided some great examples.
    The example of the CLF sparring competition you provided is a great example of how TCMA's training culture is not helping itself. Judo fighters dominating Jiujitsu fighters is a great example of how not being able to practice your style's techniques in full contact will most likely not benefit you in a real fight.

I absolutely agree that real fights are messy, unpredictable, and do not look anything like a Shaw Brothers movie. My apologies if my initial argument insinuated that a real fight would look like one. For me to suggest that a fight should would be utterly delusional. However, it does not negate the fact that the majority of TCMA fighters are struggling to utilize techniques unique to TCMA in a fight thus making it very difficult for the fighting community to argue for the practicality of TCMA. For example, when you see a Muay Thai fighter fight, you can usually recognize Muay Thai techniques. When you see an MMA fighter, you see MMA techniques. When you see a wrestler, you see wrestling moves. Judo fighter, you see Judo throws. You see a Boxer, his style shows. But you watch a TCMA fighter and you see basic universal punching and kicking techniques that make it indistinguishable. Executing unique and practical TCMA techniques should not have to be equated with flashy kung fu movies. Why is it that MMA fighters don't seem to have a problem with executing an arm bar, but TCMA fighters struggle to even consider the option of executing far simpler chi-na moves?

@MightyB
    I agree with your sentiment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with training in TCMA because you enjoy it, appreciate the historical cultural aspects, or that you do it for self-cultivating reasons. I, myself, started learning TCMA because I appreciated the aesthetic element of its forms and the theories behind each of the techniques. There was no necessity for me to learn how to actually fight. My contention is that the TCMA community, not helped by Sifus and Sigungs (most of whom don't have actual fighting experience themselves) who perpetuate near prophet-like loyalty, are making statements with such confidents and grandeur that the training received in current TCMA culture will adequately prepare students for real fights against anyone, professional or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo_Fist View Post
    I'd like to make the argument that the current TCMA training culture is flawed in how it prepares students for practical real life situations and needs to change if it wants to survive.
    The simple answer to your concern are:

- Try to spar/wrestle as much as possible when you are still young.
    - When you are 60 years old, you can start to learn as many forms as you want to.

It makes no sense to say that CMA is

- "more than" for fighting when you are 30 years old.
    - "only" for fighting when you are 60 years old.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-02-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

It makes no sense to say that CMA is

- "more than" for fighting when you are 30 years old.
    - "only" for fighting when you are 60 years old.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Well said.
    50 is like the cut off point to learn Bak Mei unless you are an athlete...the average pot belly weak knee 55 year old can not do Sub Jee fast so when they learn 9 step push it looks soft they never developed the kill him fast explosive intent that they could have built up as a teen when the body can take damage and strain to knees etc.

But if you master Bak Mei at age 30 like doing it for 20 years you will move like you did when you were 30 when you are 65. after 70 your organs come into play and then only genetics like bad heart or general old age can slow you down.

One of the younger guys told me a few years ago that our Bak Mei Si Gung had like Cancer surgery in his mid 70`s and when the doctor cut his stomach open he lost all of his Ging like he couldn`t snap and explode anymore with Bak Mei power while doing Jik Bo he passed away age 85 almost 10 years ago I think.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    50 is like the cut off point to learn Bak Mei unless you are an athlete...the average pot belly weak knee 55 year old can not do Sub Jee fast so when they learn 9 step push it looks soft they never developed the kill him fast explosive intent that they could have built up as a teen when the body can take damage and strain to knees etc.

But if you master Bak Mei at age 30 like doing it for 20 years you will move like you did when you were 30 when you are 65. after 70 your organs come into play and then only genetics like bad heart or general old age can slow you down.

One of the younger guys told me a few years ago that our Bak Mei Si Gung had like Cancer surgery in his mid 70`s and when the doctor cut his stomach open he lost all of his Ging like he couldn`t snap and explode anymore with Bak Mei power while doing Jik Bo he passed away age 85 almost 10 years ago I think.
    ok then show ur sub jee fast

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    ok then show ur sub jee fast
    I had Sub Jee Fast a few years ago lol it took like 3 years but I know how to fight from MMA friends and I lift weights and do Cardio lol. I`m working on Ying Jow now.

My Muay Thai Choy Li Fut buddy has been doing Bak Mei as long as me but his Sub Jee sucks compared to how it should be he wasnt a fighter when he was young he just doesnt have fast intent and he went back to school half way through his Bak Mei training so even his MMA has slowed down. His Sub Jee is not as good as it should be if he was training Bak Mei since he was 14 like the Bak Mei Lion Dance students or if he kept up his MMA training so his cardio would give him a more faster intent.

LOL when we started 10 years ago our Sifu was 60 and he had like 3 over 50 year olds help him teach and one of the older guys who recently passed away would always yell at the Lion Dance students GO FASTER, KILL HIM when doing Spear vs Staff 2 man forms which I thought was very impressive to see a grandpa tell his 10 year old grand children to KILL HIM GO FASTER. It made sense 5 years later to me every move in Bak Mei you like tighten your eyes, neck, teeth and stance to feet like when you pull back and punch everything snaps and you tighten to explode with full body for the quick second when you pull back and punch like you sink, then you float finger jab everything snap tight explode...step forward pull back snap tight explode...pull back snap tight explode punch step forward do rolling hands like a dj and snap explode side palm, step to side sink hands turn snap explode side chop knife hand pull snap tight explode and center step forwards snap tight explode figher jab continue Jik Bo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZEiLXs7iI8

sub jee and ying jow fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyA0_qmRu-Y

Bak Mei Staff vs Spear KILL HIM FAST drill lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RLnHgwiXDc

Vancouver Bak Mei 9 step push...here in 9 step I think this is his first year doing 9 step push so his form is still slow but it doesnt suck. This video is from like 2-3 years
    ago I think so his 9 Step looks a lot more explosive now. You can learn 9 step in 4 years if you want but it looks like crap unless you are some kind of Gung Fu genius lol I noticed from the younger Lion Dance students who started young I saw most of them just do Ying Jow until they hit like 18-20 years old like 9 step push would be better to learn as an adult I think as you start to have more muscle to explode and put your whole body into the movements with grace and athleticism. You are kind of just waving your arms around until you put on some muscle to move the heavy bag.

Same with old guys...young guys have no fighting muscle to back up grappling and old guys who learn they don`t explode like they should going low stance to high stance with the jumping and twisting movements...Basically their spear and staff moves at half speed and when young it moves at half power.

Do Karate age 10 to 20 then do wrestling weightlifting and cardio, age 25 you will be fast and explosive. wrestlers learn striking age 20 they lack the speed, karate guys only do kata age 25 they lack the explosive power.
    Last edited by diego; 09-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo_Fist View Post
    I'd like to make the argument that the current TCMA training culture is flawed in how it prepares students for practical real life situations and needs to change if it wants to survive. I believe part of the reason is that there is a misguided over reliance on forms as a sufficient means to prepare TCMA students for real fights. Now Im not knocking forms because I feel they serve a very practical purpose to learn new techniques, improve coordination, balance, etc. But I also believe they are being misused in many TCMA schools. I myself was even taught to think that practicing forms over and over and over will somehow make a technique second nature to me in a real fight. This just simply isn't the case. Watch any fight, sanctioned or not, you rarely ever see a TCMA fighter utilize any techniques outside of basic kickboxing moves. Why is that?

This applies to me as well. It's something Ive been thinking about for quite a while now. I studied TCMA mantis for years and very very rarely did I ever think about using a mantis claw technique when sparring. The mantis claw is the entire center of the Mantis system, its very practical, and I practiced it over and over and over in drills and forms, yet, I rarely ever thought about executing it in a free sparring session against a resisting opponent. Why?

Let me conclude this by saying that I disagree with MMA enthusiasts that TCMA is not realistic or practical. I strongly believe TCMA is very practical. My issue is that TCMA is not teaching those practical moves in practical ways. This is why MMA fighters keep dominating TCMA fighters. We want to blame MMA for implementing rules that hinder a TCMA fighters capabilities, but the unfortunate reality is that TCMA has implemented its own rules that have hindered its own fighters. The vast majority of TCMA schools utilize 3 point win sparring system while wearing heavy pads and only strikes to the body. TCMA's love for those cheap karate pads prevent it's own students from training a mantis claw or chi-na technique in a sparring match so that the technique becomes second nature. Unique TCMA moves are not going to be second nature because you practiced them over and over in forms or in padded drills. The become 2nd nature when they've been battle tested and unfortunately the current TCMA training culture has restricted its own students from battle testing practical moves unique to TCMA.

I tend to just see headlines and read replies unless the thread is on page 4 lol, just read your post.

I like to compare Karate kata to MMA because Kung Fu has too many styles and Karate has a more well known history being taught in government schools after the war worldwide.

I learned karate age 7 from a escapee from the Iraq war in the basement of our Vancouver elementary school in 1986.

Karate has the killing hands or as the dojo masters in the UFC world like to call them the banned moves in the ring.

Lets say you know how to MMA fight and know Karate you can`t use your Kata Killing Hands against your peers out of fighters dignity so your combos will look like Machida in UFC blending Karate with Muay Thai and BJJ.

So you don`t know MMA but love Karate and get beat up when your Kata turns into sloppy poor reflexes kickboxing and grade school wrestling.

Here`s the thing with Kata history and the history of warfare.

If the MMA Karate guy gets beat up and survives his UFC kick box combos will be backed up with Karate Kata Killing Hand cheap shots to vital areas which are illegal to hit in sports fight sparring.

so not only is Bas Rutten guarding himself like Muay Thai he is snap kicking to your groin and hammerfisting the back of your neck while smashing your head against the table like BONG lol check out his youtube video if you missed it on self defense.

The Karate guy who doesn`t know UFC but is good at Karate Kickboxing can hope to use his Kata and Kumite Sparring skills to centralize his combos into lucky cheap shot killing hand against a more skilled bully.

Light weight vs Light weight they kickbox. Lightweight vs Heavyweight the lightweight guy looks like the karate Kata guy who doesn know UFC.

The Heavyweight against the Champ or 2 Heavyweights looks like the Karate kata doesn`t know UFC guy when he gasses like Conor Mcgregor vs Floyd in round 7 lol.

Everything you mentioned in your first paragraph basically addresses why they made KAJUKENBO back in the 1940`s in war time Hawaii.

Karate in ww1 if I recall right had to make Kata for sports by taking out the killing hands in Kumite. So you had point sparring 1 block 1 punch 1 kick...people learned like that for awhile.

KAJUKENBO KA KARATE JU Japanese Ju Jitsu KEN Chinese Kempo Bo Western Boxing.

So the whole reason behind the slap hand KAJUKENBO flow drills is to teach the point sparring Kata student to flow with hidden moves like instead of horse stance jab and bow stance right cross you left hand jab then left hand eye rake or backhand then follow with right cross...like if you right elbow to temple his left temple you can return your arm back with right back fist to the right side of his face. They wanted to make the karate kata combos flow more like a western boxers because karate lost the Killing Hands from tribal warfare once everybody and his pirate moms had guns in 1890 leading to revolutions in WW1.

If you do kata and look like crap kickbox when you get beat up obviously you don`t know how to get beat up so you are basically just waving your arms around. most fighters who learn martial arts got beat up and fell in love with self defense.

So in the Oyama DVD they say Kata is for hips and back everything else is Makiwara and Kumite. So Karate student age 10-20 gets Black Belt kata opens and tightens his hips and shoulders makiwara makes him tough and kumite makes him strong. Problems with Karate.

Average Karate is sports students never been in a real fight with fear and immortal danger lol Kata is for hips and back everything else is Makiwara and Kumite...so now the Karate Kid is a Black Belt and he picks up Judo gets bulky becomes Kumite champ.

All of his techniques are thrown without killing hands so to aid his combos he masters weapons to open himself up to using his hands at more unique angles for killing hand cheap shots.

Being popular in government schools Karate doesn`t have the Las Vegas steroids sports fighter culture so point sparring and no killing hands karate kickboxing is more popular than killing hands Kata. Its not the Kata its that people don`t know how to use killing hands. Kata guys and MMA guys both ban them in sparring but it`s the only thing that can give them a cheap shot against multiple attackers like your only chance against someone bigger in BJJ is to catch his ankle for a joint manipulation while he stomps your head in.

Most the actual kata technique in traditional martial art is done as counter strikes or as set ups to knock outs so so called killing hands are really just disorientating jabs to set up the knock out or choke. like throw sand in eyes or elbow to spine after steel toed boot to groin.

karate guys lost it because they stopped fighting multiple oppenents so all of their combos when they get beat up look like no killing hands kick boxing.

MMA guys don`t have it cuz Conor couldn`t even beat Floyd in standup and UFC fighters don`t fight guys 100 pounds better than them and they don`t try those 1 on 1 kickboxing combos in 3 on 8 bar fights with killing hands and utensils.

Weapons training would help the Karate and MMA guy for more interesting angles of using your hips to strike but Karate guys need to fight even harder than how the MMA guys do it...lol Karate guys also have to spend hours of the day on forms.
    Last edited by diego; 09-07-2017 at 07:37 PM.

To really know Karate from a practical, principles based approach -

To really know Karate from a practical, principles based approach - you have to go deep with Naihanchi.

Start by studying Choki Motobu's history/biography.
    Then just go deep google on Naihanchi. Read about it, watch the videos, etc.

I agree with the hard core karate traditionalists on this - If you want to use Karate for dirty street fighting and keep it practical, you'd have to base your practice on Naihanchi.
    ---

I think the above sentiment ties in with this thread. There's a deep root to all traditional martial arts that's grounded in a couple of core principles which can adapt to many situations. Sometimes that root is so deep that it's hard to find. But, like I said - if you spend enough time in an art, keep an open mind, work hard, etc - you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    To really know Karate from a practical, principles based approach - you have to go deep with Naihanchi.

Start by studying Choki Motobu's history/biography.
    Then just go deep google on Naihanchi. Read about it, watch the videos, etc.

I agree with the hard core karate traditionalists on this - If you want to use Karate for dirty street fighting and keep it practical, you'd have to base your practice on Naihanchi.
    ---

I think the above sentiment ties in with this thread. There's a deep root to all traditional martial arts that's grounded in a couple of core principles which can adapt to many situations. Sometimes that root is so deep that it's hard to find. But, like I said - if you spend enough time in an art, keep an open mind, work hard, etc - you'll find it.

lol, every 3 weeks I learn a new Japanese term lately. I`ve been interested in learning more about chin-ku-chi and Kime, Muchimi. The loose relaxed hands remind me of Bak Mei float and sink principle.

My old kajukenbo Hop Gar hybrid style the teacher was I think 5th degree Shotokan so our first form in Kajukenbo is very mid range Karate like Choi Li Fut and Hung Gar Bow and Horse punches and blocks. Then the legend has it he learned Hop Ga San Da fighting techniques from Harry Wu in San Francisco so all of the flow drills are Karate kickboxing with kung fu defensive hands and White Crane long fists for knock out punches like boxing but using dirty cheap shots backed up with white crane footwork which is similar to Muay Thai rotating twist steps and more karate snap kicks with kung fu sweeps.

So I was like Kung Fu is better than Karate it has white crane knock out punches like mike tyson boxing but after studying Bak Mei and looking at using short hands with rotating forces like boxers parry or knock out chin shot uppercut counterstrikes I`m starting to appreciate how Karate was influenced by kung fu techniques.

I notice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBcittvxgOk Uechi-ryu combat strategy is very close to the Hakka short fist styles like I see a lot of Jik Bo and Sub Jee in their combos but the more western styles of Karate on tv or whatever tend to be more like mid range Hung Ga Choy Li Fut deep Horse and Bow stance punching the Okinawa schools are closer to Wing Chun Southern Mantis.

My question has any one seen a Long Fist style of old Karate? . I remember reading years ago how Hung Ga and other more deep stance southern styles traded tiger claws for long fists with the lama school so did those longfists enter Japan`s Karate tradition.

“chin-ku-chi”, “Gamaku” and “Mochimi” or “Muchimi”

type in chin...ku..chi as one word my god man Gene the forum sensors think the Japanese English spelling of the word for explosive force is a derogatory word. sad, I can`t even link the article URL lol
    http://asaikarate.com/what-are-*****...uchimi-part-1/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTQkGxyyN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENd2WtkuD8s

Sensei Caprino explains chin-ku-chi

This video reminds me of float principle in Bak Mei Jik Bo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh6UWffitZE

I found out about chin-ku-chi from Karate Nerd lol I enjoyed his series on visiting different schools in Okinawa then his video on Japanese terms put me on a search for a **** dictionary so I can find better research.
    Karate Nerd in Okinawa
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co5hmz7mb0s
    Last edited by diego; 09-09-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Is there a book they give you when you get your black belt with all of the Japanese terms or do you learn these things as they teach Kata? .

Like is there an old book of Japanese Engineering terms for breaking things with your fists.