Thread: Huo Yuanjia's great granddaughter Huo Jianhong

Hybrid View

Huo Yuanjia's great granddaughter Huo Jianhong

This is cool.

Chinese kung fu master’s descendant continues family tradition with gold medal performance
    Great great granddaughter of martial arts hero Huo Yuanjia comes away a winner at the National Games
    PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 29 August, 2017, 3:03pm
    UPDATED : Tuesday, 29 August, 2017, 5:01pm
    Viola Zhou
    viola.zhou@scmp.com
    https://twitter.com/violazhouyi

Huo Jinghong, 40, was a member of Tianjin’s qigong team which beat seven other teams at an event in the northern city last month, ahead of the official opening of the games.
    This year’s National Games included a number of exhibition events to encourage mass participation in the four-yearly competition.
    Besides qigong, which puts the emphasis on exercise and spiritual aspects rather than combat, the events also included chess, dragon boat racing and roller skating.

Kung fu master Huo Yuanjia. Photo: SCMP

Huo comes from the family of Tianjin native Huo Yuanjia, a kung fu hero from early last century who was the main character in Jet Li’s 2006 martial arts blockbuster Fearless.
    Her grandfather was the oldest son of Huo Dongge, Huo Yuanjia’s second son, who brought the family’s martial arts tradition to Indonesia in the 1920s, according to the report.

However, her grandfather banned younger members of the family from practising kung fu during the Cultural Revolution, fearing the overseas connection would cause them trouble on the mainland.
    Huo Jinghong, a sports teacher in Tianjin, is the only Huo descendant who is still performing martial arts.
    Huo Jinghong started learning kung fu at the age of five. Photo: Handout
    Although Huo has been practising kung fu since the age of five, she started studying Huo Yuanjia’s boxing skills only two years ago, promoting it as a good form of exercise.
    “The most important thing is to pass on Huo Yuanjia’s spirit,” she told the Hongxing News. “I have a lot of pressure living in the shadow of the family achievements, but I’m also confident about the future.”
    I can't seem to find a thread on the National Games. Have we overlooked that?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Huo Jinghong

Well, not much more really, but I'm still intrigued.

Huo Yuanjia descendant aims to popularize martial arts
    21 hrs ago

© Provided by China News

Huo Jinghong, a descendant of the Chinese martial arts legend Huo Yuanjia, performs martial arts. (Photo/Video screenshot from VGTN)

For some athletes at the National Games, winning gold is not their only purpose. Chinese martial artist Huo Jinghong is hoping to use the Games to promote her family's martial arts to the world's most populous nation.

Martial arts is an event at the Asian Games and was included in the form of a demonstration at both the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2014 Nanjing Youth Olympics.

Huo Jinghong is a descendant of the Chinese martial arts legend Huo Yuanjia, who defeated foreign fighters in highly publicized bouts at a time when Chinese sovereignty was in danger.

As a representative of Tianjin's intangible cultural heritage, Huo also recently won the gold medal at the Fitness Qigong groups competition, which is part of the amateur events at the Tianjin National Games. [Special coverage]

However, she thinks martial arts have a deeper meaning than just fighting and as a descendant of a famous martial arts master, there is a lot of importance in how she conducts herself when competing and teaching.

A legacy can be important but Huo Yuanjia's success has shown she doesn't need to rely on her family name.
    Chin-Woo @ China National Games
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

indie thread

Wushu master practises boxing of Huo with her students in Tianjin
    Source: Xinhua| 2017-08-27 07:22:43|Editor: Yurou

Photo taken on Aug. 26, 2017 shows Huo Jinghong (Front) practising boxing of Huo with her students in Tianjin University of Commerce. As the descendant of Huo Yuanjia, Chinese great Wushu master, Huo Jianhong is a gym teacher of Tianjin University of Commerce. Huo Jianhong has learned Wushu since 5 years old, and since then, she has devoted herself to the inheritance and development of Wushu.(Xinhua/Guo Chen)

Decided a separate thread from our Chin-Woo and China National Games threads was in order for Ms. Huo. Apparently I'm not the only one intrigued.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I know about long fist roads.

Blog Entries
    This is awesome...I just like this
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

It is interesting to see that she is carrying on her family's martial arts. It is interesting too to see how the Cultural Revolution impacted her family and their lineage of Northern Shaolin. Traditional Chinese martial arts really did have a rough time brought on by the Boxer Rebellion, the Cultural Revolution and now the rise of MMA in China.
    Great article!
    take care,
    Brian