Thread: Huo Yuanjia's great granddaughter Huo Jianhong

Huo Yuanjia's great granddaughter Huo Jianhong

This is cool.

Chinese kung fu master’s descendant continues family tradition with gold medal performance
    Great great granddaughter of martial arts hero Huo Yuanjia comes away a winner at the National Games
    PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 29 August, 2017, 3:03pm
    UPDATED : Tuesday, 29 August, 2017, 5:01pm
    Viola Zhou
    viola.zhou@scmp.com
    https://twitter.com/violazhouyi

Huo Jinghong, 40, was a member of Tianjin’s qigong team which beat seven other teams at an event in the northern city last month, ahead of the official opening of the games.
    This year’s National Games included a number of exhibition events to encourage mass participation in the four-yearly competition.
    Besides qigong, which puts the emphasis on exercise and spiritual aspects rather than combat, the events also included chess, dragon boat racing and roller skating.

Kung fu master Huo Yuanjia. Photo: SCMP

Huo comes from the family of Tianjin native Huo Yuanjia, a kung fu hero from early last century who was the main character in Jet Li’s 2006 martial arts blockbuster Fearless.
    Her grandfather was the oldest son of Huo Dongge, Huo Yuanjia’s second son, who brought the family’s martial arts tradition to Indonesia in the 1920s, according to the report.

However, her grandfather banned younger members of the family from practising kung fu during the Cultural Revolution, fearing the overseas connection would cause them trouble on the mainland.
    Huo Jinghong, a sports teacher in Tianjin, is the only Huo descendant who is still performing martial arts.
    Huo Jinghong started learning kung fu at the age of five. Photo: Handout
    Although Huo has been practising kung fu since the age of five, she started studying Huo Yuanjia’s boxing skills only two years ago, promoting it as a good form of exercise.
    “The most important thing is to pass on Huo Yuanjia’s spirit,” she told the Hongxing News. “I have a lot of pressure living in the shadow of the family achievements, but I’m also confident about the future.”
    I can't seem to find a thread on the National Games. Have we overlooked that?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Huo Jinghong

Well, not much more really, but I'm still intrigued.

Huo Yuanjia descendant aims to popularize martial arts
    21 hrs ago

© Provided by China News

Huo Jinghong, a descendant of the Chinese martial arts legend Huo Yuanjia, performs martial arts. (Photo/Video screenshot from VGTN)

For some athletes at the National Games, winning gold is not their only purpose. Chinese martial artist Huo Jinghong is hoping to use the Games to promote her family's martial arts to the world's most populous nation.

Martial arts is an event at the Asian Games and was included in the form of a demonstration at both the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2014 Nanjing Youth Olympics.

Huo Jinghong is a descendant of the Chinese martial arts legend Huo Yuanjia, who defeated foreign fighters in highly publicized bouts at a time when Chinese sovereignty was in danger.

As a representative of Tianjin's intangible cultural heritage, Huo also recently won the gold medal at the Fitness Qigong groups competition, which is part of the amateur events at the Tianjin National Games. [Special coverage]

However, she thinks martial arts have a deeper meaning than just fighting and as a descendant of a famous martial arts master, there is a lot of importance in how she conducts herself when competing and teaching.

A legacy can be important but Huo Yuanjia's success has shown she doesn't need to rely on her family name.
    Chin-Woo @ China National Games
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

indie thread

Wushu master practises boxing of Huo with her students in Tianjin
    Source: Xinhua| 2017-08-27 07:22:43|Editor: Yurou

Photo taken on Aug. 26, 2017 shows Huo Jinghong (Front) practising boxing of Huo with her students in Tianjin University of Commerce. As the descendant of Huo Yuanjia, Chinese great Wushu master, Huo Jianhong is a gym teacher of Tianjin University of Commerce. Huo Jianhong has learned Wushu since 5 years old, and since then, she has devoted herself to the inheritance and development of Wushu.(Xinhua/Guo Chen)

Decided a separate thread from our Chin-Woo and China National Games threads was in order for Ms. Huo. Apparently I'm not the only one intrigued.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I know about long fist roads.

Blog Entries
    This is awesome...I just like this
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

It is interesting to see that she is carrying on her family's martial arts. It is interesting too to see how the Cultural Revolution impacted her family and their lineage of Northern Shaolin. Traditional Chinese martial arts really did have a rough time brought on by the Boxer Rebellion, the Cultural Revolution and now the rise of MMA in China.
    Great article!
    take care,
    Brian

Carry forward the spirit

Inheritor of Huo-style boxing devoted to carrying forward martial arts spirit(1/10)
    2018-12-05 09:00:39 Xinhua Editor :Li Yan

Huo Jinghong, the 5th generation descendant of Huo Yuanjia, a Chinese martial arts master, poses in front of Huo Yuanjia Memorial in Xiaonanhe Village of Jingwu Township in Tianjin, north China's Municipality, Nov. 28, 2018. As the descendant of Huo Yuanjia, one of China's most revered martial arts masters, Huo Jinghong, 41, started practicing martial arts at the age of 5. After her graduation from the Wushu School of Beijing Sport University in major of Wushu Routine, Huo started her career as a gym teacher of Tianjin University of Commerce in the year of 2000. As a gym teacher, Huo teaches martial arts for the university team and offers classes on health Qigong, a new form selected from different versions of traditional Qigong for modern fitness, in the university. Later in 2015, Huo became the inheritor of Huo-style boxing, which was listed as an intangible cultural heritage in Tianjin, and since then, she has devoted herself to the inheritance and development of the martial arts handed down from the older generation of Huo's family. She hoped that the Huo-style boxing would help people understand more about the Chinese martial arts. Huo Yuanjia was born in Tianjin in 1868. He founded the Chin Woo Athletic Association in 1910 in Shanghai and advocated the spirit of "patriotism, self-cultivation, justice, and helpfulness", which remain among the key tenets of martial arts today. Now Huo Jinghong is devoting her efforts to carry forward the spirit. (Xinhua/Yue Yuewei)

I would really love to meet Huo Jinghong and/or get a story on her.

THREADS:
    Huo Yuanjia's great granddaughter Huo Jianhong
    Health Qigong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2019!

13:57, 15-May-2019
    Huo’s Fist for Practice: The National Spirit of Kung Fu

As a martial art coach and an offspring of Huo Yuanjia, Huo Jinghong is now named the inheritor of "Huo's fist for practice." Huo Yuanjia was a legendary kung fu master famous for the complicated art called Mizongyi (literally "lost track fist"). He helped established the Chin Woo Athletic Association in 1910 when the country was vulnerable to imperialism.

Huo Jinghong began to learn kung fu forms at the age of five and a half. She then majored in martial arts at the Beijing Sport University. However, she learned kung fu out of personal interests, not to follow in her ancestor's footsteps, since she didn't care much about the history of her family and the heritage of her ancestors' martial art.

CGTN Photo

In 2014, some people wanted to film Huo's fist for practice as a special martial art form. They asked Huo Jinghong for the favor because she was a professional coach and a member of the family. Therefore, Huo Jinghong began to practice the form according to the manual published by the Chinn Woo association in 1984.

CGTN Photo

Huo's fist for practice is for beginners of Mizongyi. It has a set of 72 moves. With more than 30 years' experience, Huo still faces difficulties in her learning.

"It has too many moves, and the combination of techniques are very complicated. The moves change smoothly and swiftly. The first second you are striking forward, but the next second you have to defend or attack towards a different direction, which can confuse the practitioners and their rivals."

Huo's fist for practice also has some unique hand positions, which can be totally different from her former training and thus hard to get used to. The number of moves prolongs the time of a complete performance to up to three minutes, which requires much physical strength.

That's why great grandfather Huo Dongge said that it's easy to learn the skills but hard to get the essence.

CGTN Photo

Huo's fist for practice gave Huo Jinghong a reason to look back at her family history.

"Before I learned the fist, I only regarded it as a drop in the ocean of Chinese martial arts," she said, "But knowing more about the stories of our ancestor Huo Yuanjia and the Chin Woo Athletic Association, I gained a whole new perspective of him and the art. I was deeply moved when I learned that my ancestors strived to resist the enemies with their abilities when the country and the people were weak."

After becoming the inheritor of Huo's fist for practice, Huo Jinghong felt that the responsibility on her shoulders became even heavier to improve herself to fit the requirements. Aside from teaching and practicing, she hopes she can gather and research more about the history of the Huo family and their martial art forms.

“We live in a peaceful era with abundant material resources,” she says. “To me, Huo Yuanjia is a hero. By learning Huo's fist for practice, we can feel his sense of responsibility.” The spirit of martial art is worth learning as much as the forms.

CGTN Photo
    I'd still love to get a story on her. I should really chase down her contact info someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

These photos tell us that Huo Jinghong is a master, and her students are much below that level.

Salute,

KC
    Hong Kong

Muhammad Nabil

Pakistani student learns Chinese martial arts in north China's Tianjin

Source: Xinhua Editor: huaxia2022-12-28 07:30:25

Muhammad Nabil (L) and Huo Jinghong visit a memorial hall commemorating Kung Fu legend Huo Yuanjia in Jingwu Town of Xiqing District in north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    Muhammad Nabil is a Pakistani student at Nankai University in Tianjin. In 2018, he chose to come to Tianjin to study for his Ph.D., not only to achieve quality education here, but also to fulfill his dream to chase the Chinese martial arts, or Kung Fu.
    Muhammad Nabil said he became a fan of Huo Yuanjia, a renowned Chinese martial arts master, after watching Chinese Kung Fu movies in Pakistan. During his study in Tianjin, he came to Jingwu Town, Huo Yuanjia's hometown, and met Huo Jinghong, a descendant of the Kung Fu legend and a martial arts teacher with Tianjin University of Sport. Instructed by Huo, Muhammad Nabil started to practice the Huo-style boxing, which was listed as an intangible cultural heritage in Tianjin.
    Speaking of the future, Muhammad Nabil hopes to work in China as a teacher and better understand the spirit of martial arts. (Xinhua/Li Ran)

Muhammad Nabil reads a Chinese book about Huo-style boxing with translation software at a martial arts gym in Xiqing District, north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Sun Fanyue)

Muhammad Nabil (R) practices Huo-style boxing with Huo Jinghong at a martial arts gym in Xiqing District, north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Li Ran)

Huo Jinghong (R) gives a thumb up to Muhammad Nabil at a martial arts gym in Xiqing District, north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Li Ran)

Muhammad Nabil (L) learns Huo-style boxing from Huo Jinghong at a martial arts gym in Xiqing District, north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Sun Fanyue)

Muhammad Nabil (R) visits a memorial hall commemorating Kung Fu legend Huo Yuanjia with his friend in Jingwu Town of Xiqing District in north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Sun Fanyue)

Muhammad Nabil (R) practices Huo-style boxing with Huo Jinghong at a martial arts gym in Xiqing District, north China's Tianjin, Dec. 25, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Li Ran)

Muhammad Nabil walks along Haihe River in north China's Tianjin, Dec. 26, 2022.
    (Xinhua/Sun Fanyue)
    Nice photo essay
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips