Thread: New to Wing Chun and looking for guidance

Question New to Wing Chun and looking for guidance

Looking for your thoughts on a Sifu who teaches Wing Chun in my area his web site states the following:
    "He has been teaching, competing in, and researching Chinese martial arts (Wushu) for more than 30 years. His career began at age eight when he was selected from thousands of children to attend the Jiangsu Wushu Institute. At 17, he continued his study of Wushu culture and philosophy at Nanjing University and eventually joined its faculty. I went to talk to him about training in Tai Chi, Qigong and Wing Chun which he just added to his curriculum of shaolin Kung fu. When I asked who his teacher was he said I should not ask that since he went to the university and learned from professionals and he majored in Wushu." Never heard of this and would love for someone to shed some light on this.
    Thanks

I don't want to be unfair to someone I don't know, but, I wouldn't trust a mainland guy who learned Wing Chun at a university. It's likely the watered down "wushu" version the government has tried to make of most traditional styles they don't even know.

Besides that, having "professional teachers" is even more reason to ask who they are. The reason for his refusal to tell you does not make sense, unless he was never actually at the university.

I would agree with LFJ and second what he said.

I have run into people who did not want to say who they trained with and in most cases they were not that impressive.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space