Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ? Chinese short staff

? Chinese short staff

Do the Chinese have a short staff similar to use as an escrima stick?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

In preying mantis we practice 3/4 stick which is longer than most escrima sticks but shorter than a traditional staff. Maybe 3 1/2 feet long.
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

Yes. The short staff is a bit longer.

When you change hands to hold the ends or Huan Ba, you may use it like a long staff. You have to slide your hands along the staff or Hua Ba so that your hands change to hold the other end.

There are many names for it.

Tiger tail whip Hu Wei Bian.

etc.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I am specifically curious if there is a short staff that is the length of the arm from shoulder to finger tip.

I know Wah Lam guys have the "Fatal Flute". That seems to be the only Chinese short stick I have ever seen.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

In the classic 'shaolin invincible sticks' the girl uses a pair of short sticks. Looks very hard to learn in places.

I'm not really concerned with movies and such, I'm more interested in short sicks from legit lineages.

For the Women:

+ = & a

A short stick seems like it would be such a natural weapon, I have allways been suprised that you don't see them commonly in the Chinese arts across the board.

For the Women:

+ = & a

i'd imagine that anyone skilled in other chinese short weapons(sword, saber,umbrella,cane...) might be pretty handy with a stick. and the fact that the weopn is often practiced single rather than paired appeals to me.

I was thinking that too, but still, fundementally you would think a short stick would be very common in Chinese arts due to it's natural simplicity. Yet you still don't see much of it.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Long staves are present in many styles.

There are also short or medium staff and 3 section staff.

I only know some styles.

There are Tai Tzu short staff, Wu Dang short staff, Zhao Bao Tai Chi medium staff etc.

We started with long staff practices first. The short staff has a lot of switching hand holding positions. You also combine with punches, grabs, kicks, throw and tripping to fall more than the long staff.

Have fun.

I know a traditional short staff form. it looks like a northern shaolin form. my previous sifu didn't really tell us much about it.

Ah sorry I misunderstood what you was getting at, I thought you just wanted some things that show the staff being used.

I know that some taiji styles have taught the traditional Taiji short stick. I also found a website on xingyiquan. It mentioned that the short stick also called the thirteen seizes stick (shi san ba gun) is used as one of there weapons.

http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/xy...weihanbis.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_C...Modern_masters

this also mentions it as their lineages weapon.

craig

I think the short stick in these styles is still longer than arm length though. The short stick I have seen in Tai Tzu is more like waist high. It's not really that short.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Just came across this video. Quite a nice little history about the flute.

http://www.internalkungfu.ca/download4.wmv

Craig

tai shing pek kwar, i recently learned double metal rods (or whip??) from sifu Chow Keurng. not really wooden staffs but escrima stick could be used.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman