Thread: Yesterday's Journey snsn

Yesterday's Journey

Yesterday's Journey. It is no secret that Shaolin has become a big business. One of my Shifu's has a group sent to him as part of a tour, weekly. Sometimes I get assigned as a tour guide. The two day trip consist of a performance on the first day,by my shifu's students, followed by a class. This is the first day of the trip. The second day they go into the Shaolin Temple and visit all the famous sights as well as have another performance within the Temple's walls. My Shifu's school is in SongName:  IMG_20170923_160356_HDR.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  96.7 KBshan about 20 minutes for the Temple.

So a couple was visiting yesterday and they had a one day guide, which consist of both the Shaolin tour, class and performance. Nice couple and out of all the places they have been in China so far Shaolin was their favorite .
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 09-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Have you ever met a hater living better than you? Me neitherName:  mmexport1507469658777.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  97.1 KBName:  mmexport1499240511906.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  98.6 KBName:  mmexport1499240518238.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  56.1 KB

Ha! First pick in that last post on the right is Shi Hengbo. He was my favorite teacher at the Kunming Shaolin Temple. He's a good guy. Nice.

Shaolin Dan his name is Shi Yan San[black pants], the guy in the middle forgot his name, only met him once he owns the school that's gate we are standing in front of.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Shaolin Dan his name is Shi Yan San[black pants], the guy in the middle forgot his name, only met him once he owns the school that's gate we are standing in front of.
    That's strange. I'm not going to begin to speculate on the name change...maybe you have better insight into why that would be.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    That's strange. I'm not going to begin to speculate on the name change...maybe you have better insight into why that would be.
    I'm going to take a pic and show him that really does look like him. how long ago was that?

That was about 15 months ago.

Cool. Good to know.

Did he re-disciple under Abbot Yongxin?

Typically when a monk takes up a new Yan-generation name, it's because of re-discipling under the abbot - a political move. Shi Yanneng did the same thing. He was formerly Shi Xingwu, if memory serves, but everyone called him 'Lunzha'. Xing to Yan actually drops back a few generations. Heng to Yan raises up one so it might not be the Abbot, but likely. Many disciple names are symbolic now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Seems logical Gene, personally I really don't know. The guy in the middle of that same photos owns a really nice school. He is one of the mentioned Master's Teachers. He had his students perform for us. I really enjoyed the performance it showed a lot of interaction between the students in mock fighting weapon vs weapon empty hand and empty hand vs weapon which was a pleasant surprise for a demo. There was almost no solo routines in that show.

After we went to his office which is big and decorated with all kinds of cool furniture and where he does his calligraphy and such. He showed us a video of some foreign family that lived there for a month[wasn't impressed,] then got into bragging for a while about how they teach the deeper meaning of Shaolin over some tea, and he asked me to do a form which I knew was coming. I did Lian Han Quan, and I busted it out beautifully. His response was Zhen De Bu Cuo[really not bad] which in realty mean **** was good. Later in our conversation he went on to say, "he studies martial arts, but not the culture". In a way he is right, I am not overly interested in all the customs and rituals. I'm more interested with living it then speaking about it or showing it as a display. But in the end we all die, and it really boils down to what makes the indivual happy right? So to each his own.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-15-2017 at 10:01 PM.

不错

Ha. I was always delighted whenever I got a 'bu cuo' comment, because that's about as good as it gets most of the time.

But as for studying martial arts versus culture, well, there's more to culture than just customs and rituals, especially the way Chinese see it. Wen (文) and Wu (武) must always be balanced like yin and yang. You're living there so you're immersed in the culture. You don't have to study it to be present with it. And you're a writer so you are interested in speaking about it, only through writing. Okay, end of rant from publisher to freelancer. Keep doing what you do, Shaolin brotha.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thank you Gene I will do my best.