Thread: Who are kung fu masters who don't hold back in teaching?

Hybrid View

Who are kung fu masters who don't hold back in teaching?

I am curious to know based on experience of others reading this thread , who in their opinion are kung fu masters who do NOT hold back in their instruction (ie: They want to pass on the sum total of ALL that they learned and don't take the dreaded (final 10-25%) of what they've learned "to the grave"_

In other words..I am looking to the polar opposite of the "carrot dangler"(who forgets at some point that the carrot is *half eaten*).

I have read Grandmaster Leung Shum of Ying Jow Pai is one individual who is very generous with his information(provided one works hard).

Any others?

Lord knows, there sure are too many of those who fill the bill of dangled carrot with an ever increasingly long held rope.

It's not always about how long you've been there, but whether or not you've gotten a firm enough grasp on your other material. If you don't, then why should you get the next piece?

But to the actual question: I don't know of anyone that does that kind of stuff any more if a student has reached the point where they should be learning that last bit of a teacher's material. Not that even means anything. The last "10-15%" has never been a bunch of deadly techniques, it's always just been more of what you already should have been taught.

Your carrot is dangling

A more appropriate question is: Who are the students who think they can progress to the next level but don't even have a grasp of the basics yet?

Answer: 90% of the student body.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pretty much agree with the previous answers here.

As to the question of which masters want to teach everything out, well, that's probably impossible to answer unless you are a long-time student of that teacher. My CLF sifu will teach openly, if you're ready for it and have earned the right to learn it. If you're not ready for something, it's better not to ask about "When can I learn _____?" Oftentimes some things that people think are held back are things they simply are not at a level to digest and incorporate properly.

The fact is, many typical KF students you will see out there need to concentrate harder on developing solid fundamentals and basic applications, reactions, etc. It's not dangling a carrot when students who aren't ready for something are not allowed to learn it yet. Most MA students don't even stick around long enough.

IME, there are no mysterious secrets that make you better, other than a deeper understanding of the fundamentals and the training and experience necessary to make them work.

Of course, there are 'carrot danglers' in CMA. I would have thought in this day and age, that had become obsolete. Then again, I associate very little in the MA world anymore.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-25-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Greetings,

It is the desperate need to be on the inside track to get "the knowledge" that helps set up those mckwoons and mcdojos, creating the potential for cycles of abuse similar to those abuse situations we see coming out of Hollywood. Hard work/discipline/acquired polished technique is very much the true definition of kung fu. People, pretty much, bypass the meaning altogether.

The world of "instant teatty" still exists.

mickey

More,

For you to know whether a person is holding back or not, you would have to know the full curriculum to begin with.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    A more appropriate question is: Who are the students who think they can progress to the next level but don't even have a grasp of the basics yet?

Answer: 90% of the student body.

I find this to be true in almost any endeavour. We are weird creatures in that regard as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

john whens ur next seminar plz i wanna come plz plz

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yep. I have met kung fu master that does not hold back in teaching disregard whether his student can learn it. Because he does not want to be perceived as holding back teaching.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong