Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bruce Lee Museums and Gallery Exhibits

Slightly OT

Bruce Lee's studio in L.A.'s Chinatown has reopened after 50 years
    “It's a landmark. The teaching, philosophy, and mindset of Bruce Lee have influenced people and martial arts around the world for decades," studio owner Eric Carr said.

Bruce Lee on the set of "Enter the Dragon" in 1973.Sunset Boulevard / Corbis via Getty Images
    Oct. 23, 2019, 2:07 PM PDT
    By Kimmy Yam

Bruce Lee’s martial arts studio in Los Angeles’ Chinatown has been resurrected nearly 50 years after it shut its doors.

This past Sunday, martial artist Eric Carr reopened the place where the iconic Lee originally taught his students his personal style of Jeet Kune Do (JKD), which translates to “way of intercepting fist.”

Carr, whose teacher Jerry Poteet was one of Lee’s select, original students, told NBC News in a phone interview that he felt compelled to resurrect the studio to preserve the martial arts legend’s legacy and to continue Poteet’s mission.

“It's a landmark. The teaching, philosophy, and mindset of Bruce Lee have influenced people and martial arts around the world for decades,” Carr said. Poteet, who privately trained with Lee at both his house and studio and died in 2012, dedicated his life to keeping the art of JKD alive, Carr added.

"It was Jerry's wish for everyone he trained to carry the flame,” Carr said. “This was my small part in giving back and bringing the art home and accomplishing a dream on my own path.”

The studio had remained relatively vacant since 1969, aside from a stint as a dentist’s office. Though Lee, who died in 1973, had opened other studios in Seattle’s Chinatown, the L.A. location was his only one in the area. While there, he taught his fighting style and philosophy, one that’s rooted in the interception of an opponent’s technique or intent. The principles of simplicity, directness and freedom are also key to Jeet Kune Do.

Carr, who says he consulted Lee’s family in the reopening process, explained that he aims to pass the craft on to future generations in its pure form, offering one-on-one classes, seminars and children's classes.

“JKD is the life's work of Bruce Lee, and I want to offer an authentic experience and will stick to the essence of Jeet Kune Do, Bruce's methods and his philosophy, and personal training mindset and spirit,” he said.

Lee has remained a critical figure among Asian Americans and beyond because of his work in both martial arts and entertainment. He not only prompted a wave of martial arts-themed movies in Hollywood, but also served as an emblem of strength and power during a time when many Asian male actors were constrained to the stereotypical roles of threatening villains or sexless nerds.

For Carr, Lee is “proof of what’s possible in life, in the face of adversity,” which is why he personally felt it important the martial artist’s teachings remain alive.

“He has in many ways paved ways for humanity as well as martial artists. His study, exploration, path, message and philosophy, approach to unity and self expression, can be applied to any area of life, and he gives us examples and clues on how to accomplish whatever we put our energy towards,” Carr said.

Though the studio has been open for only a few days, Carr says it’s been well received with many potential students who are interested in training in authentic JKD while in Lee’s actual studio, just as others had decades ago.

“They want to be close to the man who has had such an influence in their lives,” he said, “and become a part of that history and live the experience.”

Shannon Lee, Bruce Lee’s daughter, did not return NBC News’ request for comment.
    Carr has his advertising worked out, as long as Shannon doesn't shut him down.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

An ad for this just popped up on one of my feeds

GOLD MOUNTAIN: CHINESE CALIFORNIAN STORIES
    All-new signature exhibition opening January 26, 2020

Discover the history and contributions of Chinese Americans to California from the Gold Rush to the present day in “Gold Mountain: Chinese California Stories.”

This all-new signature exhibition explores how Chinese immigrants came to California in search of a better life, then stayed and helped to build the modern state. In so doing over the last 150 years, they triumphed over racism and other obstacles with ingenuity and perseverance.

In their stories, visitors will see the contributions that Californians of Chinese descent have made to our state’s economy, governance, and culture, and recognize the strength that comes from the state’s rich diversity.
    I hope to make it over for this but I'm already scheduled for JAN 26. It's the day after CNY.

THREADS
    Chinese-American Museums
    Bruce Lee Museums and Gallery Exhibits
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We Are Bruce Lee

"We Are Bruce Lee" Exhibit at CHSA in SF Chinatown (Opening Fall 2021)

BE DONORS, MY FRIENDS
    Your donation helps the Chinese Historical Society of America create a major exhibition on the legacy of Bruce Lee to engage, teach and inspire visitors from around the world.

GIVE YOUR SUPPORT
    Your donations are essential for the build out of the We Are Bruce Lee exhibit, development of related programs, marketing, and operations for the exhibit, which is expected to run for five years. Through their generosity, all of our exhibit team and advisors have devoted pro bono hours to develop this exhibit. The We Are Bruce Lee exhibit in San Francisco Chinatown is presented by the Chinese Historical Society of America, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization dedicated to promoting the history, culture and legacy of the Chinese in America. Your donations are tax deductible, CHSA Federal Tax ID 94-6122446.

Questions? Contact CHSA Interim Executive Director Pam Wong at pwong@chsa.org.

UPCOMING EVENTS
    NOV
    BIRTHDAY BLITZ

In celebration of Bruce Lee’s 80th birthday on November 27, 2020, join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the first sneak peek of the “We Are Bruce Lee” exhibition, including interviews and surprise guest appearances. Talk show personality Toan Lam hosts. To receive show updates and exhibit news, sign our mailing list.
    Shannon Lee mentioned November 80th birthday celebrations when I interviewed her for Warrior and her book Be Water, My Friend: The Teachings of Bruce Lee
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We Are Bruce Lee SF Birthday Blitz: Collectors Film Trailer

This needs it's own thread independent of Bruce-Lee-Museums-and-Gallery-Exhibits
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Academy Museum

SIGNIFICANT MOVIES AND MOVIEMAKERS:
    BRUCE LEE

Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon (Hong Kong/USA, 1973). Courtesy of Core Collection, Production Files, Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Bruce Lee (1940–1973) left behind a legacy that transcends generations, genres, and cultures. Lee got his start acting in Hong Kong as a child and began martial arts training at age 13. His first US role, as Kato on the 1960s television show The Green Hornet (1966–67), combined his acting and fighting skills. Fame did not immediately follow. After struggling to find work in Hollywood, Lee returned to Hong Kong and went on to achieve international stardom for martial arts films including The Way of the Dragon (Meng long guo jiang, Hong Kong, 1972)—which he wrote, directed, and coproduced—and Enter the Dragon (Hong Kong/USA, 1973). Despite his untimely death at the age of 32, Lee remains one of the most iconic performers of all time.

Significant Movies and Moviemakers: Bruce Lee considers the career of the multi-talented producer, actor, director, and martial artist through his own writings and through key objects from his filmography. Visitors encounter rare materials such as hand-drawn fight-scene choreography for an iconic moment in Enter the Dragon, as well as a more philosophical text written by Lee. Among other objects, the gallery also features a pair of nunchaku used by Lee as well as a costume from Enter the Dragon next to a fast-paced montage of famous fight scenes.
    Special exhibit at the Academy of Motion Pictures Museum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive interview

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive interview

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

“Be Water, My Friend: The Teachings of Bruce Lee at the Wing Luke Museum

Wing Luke Museum’s new Bruce Lee exhibit shows another side of the martial artist
    July 12, 2022 at 6:00 am Updated July 12, 2022 at 4:04 pm

1 of 8 | Shannon Lee leads a tour of the exhibit about her father, Bruce Lee, at the Wing Luke Museum. Titled “Be Water, My Friend: The Teachings of Bruce Lee,” it tells a story of his learnings, philosophical approaches and the symbolism of water. “As hard as he... (Alan Berner / The Seattle Times)

By Jayce Carral
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Deep in grief after the sudden death of her brother, actor Brandon Lee, in 1993, Shannon Lee started flipping through her father’s writings — photocopied pages of book annotations stacked 2 feet high. She came by a note that she did not recognize, which was odd because she, along with a lot of other people, knew the majority of her father’s famous quotes — he was, after all, Bruce Lee.

“’The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it,’ ” Shannon Lee recited from memory. “’My ailment came from within myself, but I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see, I will never find the light, unless like the candle, I am my own fuel.’ ”

The passage opened something in her, and she realized her suffering was not going to erase itself. Delving back into the knowledge her father left behind helped her cope. Within seven years, she said, she was the happiest she had ever been.

“As hard as he worked on his body, he worked on his mind and worked on his energy, and that is what made the difference,” she said. “That is why we’re still talking about Bruce Lee 50 years later.”

While he was most well-known for his movies and martial arts, Bruce Lee (1940-1973) was also strong in his own philosophy. After taking the helm of the Bruce Lee Foundation, Shannon Lee has made it her mission to tie her father’s image to his teachings as part of his legacy.

Seattle’s Wing Luke Museum, in partnership with the foundation, launched an interactive exhibit July 9 dedicated to Bruce Lee’s philosophy titled “Be Water, My Friend: The Teachings of Bruce Lee.” The exhibit, which is becoming a permanent part of the museum, is based on the martial artist’s 2,800-book collection. It opens with a glass cutout of his famous flying side kick embedded in a wall with books from his collection filling the image. Immersive storytellers Jessica Kantor and Eve Weston, the exhibit’s creative team, found knowledge in Bruce Lee’s work as they transposed the annotations hidden among his books into the exhibit’s works.

“He is a pioneer. He’s an entrepreneur. He’s an innovator. He’s an athlete. He’s an intellectual,” Weston said. “He’s incredibly hardworking and driven and thoughtful.”

The exhibit’s story is told on blue-colored walls. From his writing, Bruce Lee described losing his “theory of gentleness” once he entered a fight. He would remember the teachings from his only formal instructor, Yip Man, but was unable to put them it into practice. He spent an afternoon on a boat, realizing he wanted to be like water — going with his nature, instead of against it.

Between the story are stacks of books, black-and-white photos and a glass case of some of Bruce Lee’s possessions surrounded by plaques dedicated to his philosophy behind learning, known as the three stages of cultivation: partiality, fluidity and emptiness.

1 of 3 | Bruce Lee meditates on a pier on Lake Washington. (Courtesy of the Bruce Lee Foundation)

The exhibit continues into a dimly lit room hosting three circles — representing the mind, body and spirit — on the floor with projected images of lily pads. When patrons stand on the lily pads, a bell will ring and a quote once highlighted by Bruce Lee will appear at their feet. Moments later, a screen in front of them will show photos, videos or more quotes. There are about 30 different pairings for the three circles.

The interactive exhibit displays quotes important to Bruce Lee when the visitor steps into the circle of “water.” (Alan Berner / The Seattle Times)

The exhibit ends with a large image of Bruce Lee accompanied by a quote written across the wall in a font designed after his handwriting.

Exhibiting and celebrating stories of people like Bruce Lee and Wing Chong Luke — who is not only the museum’s namesake but also the first Asian American elected into public office in the Pacific Northwest — is vital in the current political climate, said museum executive director Joël Barraquiel Tan.

“This is the time to really bring our communities together to experience the kind of teachings and inspiration of someone as integral to Seattle as Bruce Lee, to remind us that we can actualize something bigger than we could have ever imagined,” Barraquiel Tan said.

The exhibit marks the permanent partnership between the museum and the Bruce Lee Foundation. The museum will host the Bruce Lee Gallery and several future exhibits dedicated to the martial artist and his legacy.

Bruce Lee was an avid reader with a book collection approaching 3,000 on a cross-section of subjects. (Alan Berner / The Seattle Times)

“Be Water, My Friend: The Teachings of Bruce Lee”
    10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays-Sundays; Wing Luke Museum, 719 S. King St.; $10-$17, free for children under 5; wingluke.org

Jayce Carral: jcarral@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @jaycecarral.
    Another Wing Luke exhibit.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fans recreate kung fu star Bruce Lee’s demolished Hong Kong mansion in metaverse

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's a special place in hell for people who vandalize museums

Man charged with hate crime after vandalism at Wing Luke Museum
    Sep. 18, 2023 at 3:33 pm

Adrien Fonseca, with Marpac Construction, works to remove glass from the Wing Luke Museum’s broken windows on Canton Alley South on Sept. 15. (Erika Schultz / The Seattle Times)
    By Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks
    Seattle Times staff reporter

A man was charged Monday with a hate crime after he smashed the windows of the Wing Luke Museum, King County prosecutors say.

According to the charges, Craig Milne, 76, used a sledgehammer to break the windows of the museum along Canton Alley South in Seattle on Thursday night, as dozens of patrons inside were touring an exhibit.

Milne, who is white, also was charged with first-degree malicious mischief for causing more than $100,000 worth of property damage, charging papers say.

After smashing the windows, Milne remained outside the building, and was heard saying he had come to the Chinatown International District to cause damage and that “the Chinese ruined my life,” according to witnesses.

Almost an hour later, when Seattle Police Department officers arrived and arrested Milne, he “continued making racially biased statements and expressed no remorse,” the charging documents stated, with Milne telling officers, “The Chinese have tortured and tormented me for 14 years. I don’t regret anything I did here.”

“The blatant racist motivations behind the defendant’s actions, the extreme nature of this property destruction, the disregard for individuals who were inside the building, and the lack of remorse gives the State significant community safety concerns,” prosecutors wrote.

Milne first appeared in court Friday, when a judge set his bail at $30,000. He remained in King County Jail on Monday.

The Wing Luke Museum is a major educational and cultural institution in Seattle and an anchor in the neighborhood. It is the only pan-Asian Pacific American community-based museum in the country.

“The attack and the damage, beyond the physical, was in part symbolic,” museum Executive Director Joël Barraquiel Tan previously told The Seattle Times. “It was targeted. It was planned.”

This is not the first time Milne has been accused of a hate crime. In October 2013, Milne was arrested for allegedly attacking and repeatedly punching an Asian man in the locker room at the Spartan Recreation Center in Shoreline.

King County Sheriff’s Office deputies reported they heard Milne shouting racial slurs against Asian people, saying “they ruined my life.” When he was arrested, Milne fought the deputies and called an Asian officer racial slurs, according to charging documents.

Milne was charged with fourth-degree assault and resisting arrest, according to court documents. The charges were dismissed in 2015, prosecutors said.

Community leaders said the attack Thursday ratcheted up already elevated concerns about public safety among some Asian American and Pacific Islander residents in Seattle. Several criticized the police response time, saying the 52 minutes it took for officers to arrive reflected local law enforcement and city leaders’ disregard for their well-being.

Hate crimes targeting Asians and Asian Americans increased dramatically during the COVID-19 pandemic, rising more than 73 percent in 2020, according to FBI data. Since 2020, the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office has filed 130 cases involving hate crimes, with 20 filed this year so far.

Milne’s arraignment is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Oct. 2 at the King County Courthouse.

Times researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report.

Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks: 206-464-2246 or ayoonhendricks@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @ayoonhendricks. Staff reporter Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks covers race and equity for The Seattle Times.
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Bruce-Lee-Museums-and-Gallery-Exhibits
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Craig Milne unrepentant, earns Wing Luke $100K

Wing Luke Museum gets $100K from city, state for repairs after vandal smashes windows

By KIRO 7 News Staff
    September 29, 2023 at 5:01 pm PDT

SEATTLE — Seattle’s Wing Luke Museum will be getting $100,000 in funds to help in its recovery efforts after several of its windows were smashed by a vandal in early-September.

Seventy-six-year-old Craig Milne was charged in the incident, after smashing the museum’s windows with a sledgehammer while saying that “the Chinese have ruined my life.”

When officers arrived, he allegedly told them that “the Chinese have tortured and tormented me for 14 years.”

“I don’t regret anything I did here,” he added.

On Friday, the City of Seattle and the Washington State Department of Commerce announced that they would be giving the Wing Luke Museum $100,000 for repairs.

“I’m proud our state could step in alongside the City of Seattle to help the Wing Luke Museum recover from the violence of hate,” said Gov. Jay Inslee in a news release. “The museum is a local treasure honoring Washington’s global diversity. I encourage folks to visit and learn more about the history and culture of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders.”

Milne was charged with two felonies, one for a hate crime and another for first degree malicious mischief.
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Bruce-Lee-Museums-and-Gallery-Exhibits
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips