Thread: The Knight of Shadows

The Knight of Shadows

It's back to action comedy for Jackie.

AFM: Golden Network launches sales on Jackie Chan-starrer 'Knight of Shadows' (exclusive)
    BY LIZ SHACKLETON 1 NOVEMBER 2017

SOURCE: WIKI COMMONS
    JACKIE CHAN

Hong Kong-based Golden Network Asia is launching sales on Jackie Chan action comedy, Knight Of Shadows: Walker Between Halfworlds.

Directed by up-and-coming Chinese filmmaker Vash, the film stars Chan as a demon hunter defending humanity from an inhuman invasion. When an evil force starts kidnapping village girls to feast on their souls, the demon hunter sets out to save them assisted by his lawman protégé and a group of friendly monsters.

Produced by Kiefer Liu, executive producer on the blockbuster Monkey King series, the film is backed by iQiyi Pictures, Sparkle Roll Media and Golden Shore Films & Television. It is currently in pre-production for delivery in 2019.

Golden Network is also introducing action title Golden Job, directed by action choreographer Chin Ka-lok (Cold War, Firestorm). Starring Ekin Cheng (The Storm Warriors), Jordan Chan (Ip Man: The Final Fight) and Michael Tse (Wild City), the film follows a Robin Hood-esque figure who supplies an East European refugee camp with stolen medicine.

Produced by Hong Kong actor-producer Eric Tsang, Golden Job is currently in production for release over Chinese New Year 2018.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The initial title was Knight Of Shadows: Walker Between Halfworlds. I'm not going to update it to The Knight of Shadows: Between Yin and Yang just yet. It's over a year away and it might change again.

FilMart: Jackie Chan’s ‘Knight of Shadows’ Set For 2019 Release
    By Patrick Frater
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Jackie Chan arrives at the LA Premiere of "The Foreigner" at the Arclight Hollywood, in Los AngelesLA Premiere of "The Foreigner", Los Angeles, USA - 05 Oct 2017
    CREDIT: INVISION/AP/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

Release of upcoming Jackie Chan film “The Knight of Shadows: Between Yin and Yang” is now confirmed for 2019, after the producers expanded the visual effects component. Now in post-production, the film is a fantasy martial arts comedy mounted on a vast scale, directed by Vash (aka Jia Lu) and produced by Kiefer Liu, one of the pioneers of 3D in China (“The Monkey King” series.)

The story involves a demon whose mission is to save humanity from fearsome invaders. Chan stars, along with Ethan Juan (“Monga”) and Elane Zhong, the actress who shot to stardom following Feng Xiaogang’s “Youth.”

“Shadows” is presented by iQIYI Pictures, Sparkle Roll Media, and Golden Shore Films & Television Studio, with sales handled by Hong Kong’s Golden Network.

The company is also pre-selling “Golden Job,” a Hong Kong crime-action film directed by choreographer Chin Ka-lok (“Cold War,” “Motorway”). The globe-trotting story involves mercenaries who attempt to steal medicine that the CIA is hoarding. Stars include Ekin Cheng, Jordan Chan, Michael Tse, Chin Ka-lok, and Jerry Lamb. Filming took place in China, Inner Mongolia, Japan, Montenegro and Romania. Presented by Beijing Sparkle Roll Media Corporation and The Entertainer Production Company the film is set for delivery later this year.

Golden Network also has Ding Shi’s “The Ladybug,” which was released in China at the beginning of Feb., and Roy Szeto’s “Shed Skin Papa,” which played recently in the Tokyo and Udine festivals and is set for imminent commercial release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

walker between half worlds between yin and yang

Jackie Chan to star in a ghost story
    By Zhang Rui
    China.org.cn, March 28, 2018

Kung fu star Jackie Chan will have another potential blockbuster slated for release during next year's Spring Festival.

Cast and crew pose for photo at a press conference held for "The Knight of Shadows Between Yin and Yang" in Beijing, March 28, 2018. [Photo courtesy of Bravo Entertainment]

The film, entitled "The Knight of Shadows Between Yin and Yang," is a brand-new adaptation of classic Chinese fantasy book "Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio."

Newbie B-movie director Yan Jia will take helm of the project and its starry cast, including Chan, Ethan Ruan, Elane Zhong, Lin Bohong, Lin Peng, triplet stars Luu Brothers as well as famous comedians Qiao Shan, Pan Changjiang and King-Tan Yuen. Agan, famous for his Chinese horror movies, will produce the film.

"Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio" is written by Qing Dynasty writer Pu Songling and was published in 1740. The book is a collection of more than 490 Chinese exorcist legends and ghost stories. Several stories from the book have been made into successful movies and TV series, such as Gordon Chan's "Painted Skin" and Ching Siu-tung's "A Chinese Ghost Story."

Jackie Chan speaks at a press conference held for "The Knight of Shadows Between Yin and Yang" in Beijing, March 28, 2018. [Photo courtesy of Bravo Entertainment]

Jackie Chan revealed at the press conference held on Monday in Beijing that he would play the novelist Pu Songlin in the new film, with the writer set to become a detective.

"I was surprised by the script at the beginning, " Chan said, "because Pu is an intellectual, and I'm a kung fu star. But after I read the story, I found it interesting. During the shooting, I tried many things I have never tried before. The action scenes are also different from those I had done before, for instance, new kung fu styles which use a writing brush as a weapon, plus exorcist arts decorated by visual effects."

The actor admitted he had great fun making the new film, "I have been in this industry for 57 years and the most pleasant thing for me is to act every day. I never thought about money and awards when I'm doing films, but what is left in my mind is only how to do it right and how to try my best. And I would love to try different styles and new characters."

The cast and crew of "The Knight of Shadows Between Yin and Yang" unveiled its first poster and announced the film will be released on next Chinese lunar New Year's Day, also known as Spring Festival in 2019. It is very rare for a Chinese film to set its release date so far in advance, especially after this year's record-breaking Spring Festival film season has just ended.

A new poster is released for "The Knight of Shadows Between Yin and Yang" in Beijing, March 28, 2018. [Photo/ China.org.cn]

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The initial title was Knight Of Shadows: Walker Between Halfworlds. I'm not going to update it to The Knight of Shadows: Between Yin and Yang just yet. It's over a year away and it might change again.
    Alright, alright...I'll change it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Afm 2018

I've been trying to think of how best to present this because it's dense. I decided to present the full list here on the Chollywood rising thread and partial lists to start new indie threads for the titles that look martially interesting or are relevant to other threads.

AFM 2018: The buzz titles from Hong Kong and China
    BY LIZ SHACKLETON 2 NOVEMBER 2018

Despite dipping box office and a censorship process slowing up the production pipeline, there are some knockout titles to get excited about for Chinese New Year.

SOURCE: WANDA PICTURES
    ‘AIRPOCALYPSE’

Mainland China’s film industry is going through a turbulent period. Despite the success of Bona Film Group’s Project Gutenberg, which grossed nearly $160m over the National Day holidays, box office was on a downward trend in October 2018 compared to the previous year. In addition, the censorship process has slowed following the Chinese authorities’ overhaul of their regulatory infrastructure and the government’s recent request that talent and production companies pay their back taxes has sent the industry into a spin.

As a result, production is expected to slow down in the last quarter of this year, which could result in a shortage of big titles in the second half of 2019, but there is still a large volume of films in production and post-production that are on offer at AFM. Big titles scheduled for release before the end of the year include Wanda Pictures’ fantasy drama Airpocalypse and Huayi Brothers’ action adventure Mojin: The Worm Valley.

Although it is still early days for scheduling, films jostling for release during the peak Chinese New Year holiday period in February 2019 include Mega-Vision Project Workshop’s Enter The Fat Dragon, starring Donnie Yen; Emperor Motion Pictures’ Integrity, directed by Alan Mak and starring Sean Lau and Nick Cheung; and Jackie Chan’s The Knight Of Shadows: Between Yin And Yang.

The Knight Of Shadows: Between Yin And Yang - dir Vash
    Jackie Chan stars as a demon hunter defending humanity from an inhuman invasion in this period action comedy, which also stars Ethan Juan, Elane Zhong and Lin Peng. When a mysterious force starts kidnapping village girls to feast on their souls, Chan’s character encounters another demon hunter who is not fully human. In post-production for release during Chinese New Year 2019, the film is produced by Kiefer Liu (The Monkey King series) and backed by iQiyi Pictures, Beijing Sparkle Roll Media and Golden Shore Films & Television.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Knight Of Shadows: Between Yin & Yang - Teaser Trailer (In Cinemas 4th Feb)

Pu Songling is the author of Liaozhai Zhiyi (聊齋誌異), a classic collection of Twilight-Zone-like tales from the 18th century often translated as Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio. I've only read a few because the translations were previously scattered across several different books.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pu Songling

China’s Ghostwriter: The True Story Behind Jackie Chan’s New Movie “Knight of Shadows”
    By JEREMIAH JENNE 14 hours ago

In the upcoming Chinese blockbuster, Knight of Shadows, Jackie Chan takes on the supernatural as Qing-era folklorist Pu Songling. The high-profile holiday flick is directed by Jia Yuan, whose only other credit was the 2014 schlock fest Bugs.

In his latest picture, Chan as Pu Songling tracks down terrifying beasts with his knowledge of the supernatural and the help of a team of protégés and friendly monsters. Think: “Fantastic Beasts and where Jackie Chan Found Them.”
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

But Pu Songling was a real figure, and his 聊齋誌異 Liaozhai Zhiyi (Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio) — a collection of over 500 stories with many involving ghosts, spirits, and the supernatural — has been an inspiration for dozens of TV shows and movies over the years.

The real Pu Songling (1640-1715) was born in troubled times. Just four-years-old when the Manchus conquered China, he grew up in an era of uncertainty and anxiety. Pu Songling, like many men of his class, tried to serve the new dynasty but like too many young scholars he found himself trapped in examination hell. Despite passing the first rung of the exam ladder with distinction at 18, he was never able to pass the higher levels of the exam which would have meant an official career. For his entire life, Pu Songling lived as a perpetual student finding work where he could as a tutor and secretary to more successful men.

Erudite but unemployed, Pu began reading widely in a variety of traditions. He was particularly fascinated with strange stories and tales of the unexplained, both those found in literary collections and memoirs composed by the elite but also the rich body of folk tales and fables passed down orally by common folk.

While the legend of Pu Songling recording the stories of travelers while sitting at an inn is probably apocryphal, in 聊齋誌異 Liaozhai Zhiyi, he gave a high-brow spin to macabre, the grotesque, and the paranormal tales which had in some cases circulated for centuries. His characters were often richly drawn, sometimes tragic, figures, and the stories also contain thinly veiled critiques of Chinese society at the time.

There was also an erotic element to Pu’s stories. While not as ballistically graphic as the acrobatic and exhaustive descriptions of sex found in Late-Ming works such as the Jinping Mei, sexuality plays a central role in many of Pu Songling’s tales. In the story Lotus Fragrance, a single man becomes involved with two women. For a while, he manages to juggle both booty calls until he finds out that one is a fox spirit and the other is a ghost.

Think about that the next time your night-before-mistake is blowing up your WeChat for a week.

In another of Pu Songling’s most famous stories, a scholar named Wang meets a former imperial concubine who has been cast out of the palace. Falling in love, the scholar takes her home where it turns out his new lady friends is, in fact, a green-faced monster wearing a skin of human flesh who then rips the scholar’s heart from his chest.

Ultimately, a Taoist priest helps Wang’s wife restore Chen’s heart although why the wife would want to revive this cheating moron is not totally explained.

Pu Songling’s own hang-ups tend to inform both his choice of story and the fate of his characters. And even cursory reading would suggest that there was a considerable amount of anxiety over the dangers of unrestrained female sexuality. In a famous tale, Nie Xiaoqian, who is also a character in the upcoming film, is a beautiful female ghost who preys on men until she meets the right guy and ultimately redeems herself… by marrying him.

That said, there is a great deal of wry humor in Pu Songling’s stories. While many focus on the world beyond, Pu was not above pointing to the foibles of the world we live in. Besides, you have to love an author who titles one of his chapters “The Fornicating Dog.”

While Pu Songling — a man with a lot of time on his hands as he prepared for his next failed attempt to pass the exam — recorded and wrote his stories over many years, the book wasn’t finally published until 1740, possibly by his grandson. It has since become a classic and literary favorite for generations. Several translations exist in English, including a Penguin Classics Edition translated by John Minford and available on Kindle.

But based on the trailer of the new movie, it would appear that much of the subtlety of Pu Songling’s stories is going to be a casualty of CGI.

Knight of Shadows: Yin and Yang debuts next month in theaters around China.
    Now I kinda wanna see Bugs. It's an addiction, I confess. "Hello, my name is Gene and I'm a Chinese movie addict."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Vr

JANUARY 31, 2019 5:00PM PT
    Jackie Chan Gets VR Treatment in iQIYI’s ‘Knight of Shadows’
    By PATRICK FRATER
    Asia Bureau Chief

CREDIT: COURTESY OF IQIYI PICTURES

Chinese streaming firm, iQIYI is to release a virtual reality version of “The Knight of Shadows,” the Jackie Chan-starring film that will launch in conventional theaters at Chinese New Year. It is pitched as a family-friendly costume fantasy.

The 23-minute VR version will be available for viewing at Digital Domain Space VR cinemas across China. The tailor-made VR film will provide viewers a wholly immersive experience of “The Knight of Shadows” movie’s demon-filled world.

The movie plot is loosely based on classic novel “Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio,” by Qing Dynasty short story writer Pu Songling. In the adaptation, Pu is played by Chan, and embarks on adventures that involve solving mysteries and battling demons. The film was directed by Yan Jia, with Ethan Ruan and Zhong Chuxi also starring.

“Knight” is presented by iQIYI Pictures, the film production and investment arm of streaming leader iQIYI, Chan’s Sparkle Roll Media, and Golden Shore Films & Television Studio, with sales handled by Hong Kong’s Golden Network.

IQIYI pitches “Knight” as an example of its platform’s ability to turn content into franchises. “Leveraging iQIYI’s rich experience in adapting its own literature IP across multiple entertainment formats, the valuable IP of ‘The Knight of Shadows’ will be used by iQIYI in formats including feature films, VR films, online dramas, anime and more,” the company said. The company has diversified away from pure-play VoD into activities ranging from operating mini-theaters to selling movie tickets.

“Knight” will be released in Chinese cinemas on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, the first day of the Chinese New Year season, and is expected to play on some 8,000 screens, iQIYI said. Thanks to Golden Network’s sales effort, it will also release around the same time in Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Brunei.

“With a world-class cast, richly imagined production and family-friendly comic themes, we believe this this film will succeed in drawing diverse crowds and delighting parents, grandparents and children alike,” said Ya Ning, president of iQIYI Pictures.
    Are there any Digital Domain Space VR cinemas in the U.S.?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

Remember when Jackie did all his own stunts? Well, that was a long time ago. This is a CGI-driven flick and the finale fight is all CGI Jackie flying about in the extradimensional yaoguai universe with demons and pagoda asteroids. Looks more like a videogame than a movie.

But let's step back a bit. Jackie plays Pu Songling, a landmark author from the 18th century who wrote a classic revered book of supernatural tales, Liaozhai Zhiyi (Liaozhai; Chinese: 聊齋誌異 (Liaozhai Zhiyi 聊齋誌異), kind of the post-renaissance Chinese Rod Serling. I love those stories, although I'm not sure I've even read them all because back when I was into that, only a few were translated and not very well. I imagine they're all translated and I should revisit that. I'll copy this Knight of Shadows post there.

This film imagines Pu as a period ghostbuster - it's Jackie with the bulk of his facial wrinkles digitally erased. He wields a magic brush and his book, the receptacle of his capture demons. Now a few years ago, the film Monster Hunt was a monster hit starting a trend towards yaoguai-based films. Yaoguai in Mandarin (妖怪) is the same characters as yokai in Japanese - it's the supernatural world where demons prey upon humans, only the demons are completely different than elves and goblins (actually there is a goblin in here so those are kinda universal). Pu is aided by demons, a flying boat demon named Handsy, a piggish demon, a fairy-esque cupid doll demon and a **** demon. Yup a **** demon. I don't know why ****s are so funny in these yaoguai flicks but there's always a chubby baby that deploys ****s as weapons. This **** demon is named Gassy and looks like the cousin of the Mucinex-loogy demon. There’s also cross dressing.

It's a pretty painful watch. I love yaoguai tales, but since Monster Hunt, they've gotten cutesy and annoying. The demonesses are good. Chinese demonesses are always good. They are sisters and echo themes of White Snake. There's some interesting takes on Daoist exorcist magic, like the torrent of yellow paper talismans. There's one Jackie-style fight scene where he battles possessed guards with furniture - the guards do the stunts tho, moving about stiffly like zombie robots for comic effect.

Overall, not worth the watch unless you really really really luv Jackie. And that's me. I will always revere Jackie for his 80-90s films, so much so that'll I'll watch his terrible films like this as an act of loyalty. Every once in a while, he'll still deliver stuff like The Foreigner, but alas, he's old now, despite the digital facelift, and can never recapture the daring days of doing his own stunts. Nevertheless, I'm still dedicated. Jackie is still amazing, just not here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest sweepstakes - ENTER TO WIN!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Jackie Chan's The Knight of Shadows DVD+BRD combo! Contest ends 5:00 p.m. PST on 1/30/2020.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips