Thread: Need advice about my present marriage situation

Need advice about my present marriage situation

Hello,

I am Texan and my husband is Chinese. We've been married for 2 years already but it seems that I still cannot understand his culture and ways. This always resulted in quarrels and misunderstanding. I consulted some of my friends and they told me to go see a marriage counselor. I opened this up to him and he said its just a waste of time. How can I convince him that we need professional help in our marriage?

Customs and culture have taught you and your spouse different values and priorities. This means the two of you need to learn and compromise. In a cross-cultural marriage, it's important to respect your spouse's native culture and deal with the differences in a loving manner.

Quote Originally Posted by slumkeyhatch View Post
    Customs and culture have taught you and your spouse different values and priorities. This means the two of you need to learn and compromise. In a cross-cultural marriage, it's important to respect your spouse's native culture and deal with the differences in a loving manner.
    Thank you. When we were dating, we already talked about this. And I guess, there are some things that we really cannot forge or change because it is inherent within us. What my friend told me was to practice tolerance. I guess, this is right. Going to a therapist may not be the right decision at this point.

You can give it a try if you think it could help you. Best of luck.

*looks around Kung Fu forum to ensure that it is a kung fu forum*...

Kung Fu is good for you.

To be fair, this is the Off-Topic subforum. And as in the subforum's description, it is for subjects that have nothing to do with martial arts.

I'm much more cynical and inclined to think that this is one of those attempts at promoting a website by having an innocuous conversation about something in an off topic place.
    Guerrilla marketing if you will.

It has nothing at all to do with anything even remotely related to martial arts and off topic section or not, it makes a link to a site in that conversation between a rare poster and a newb.

So, call me a cynic, but I think this is muppet marketing of self help sites.
    Kung Fu is good for you.