Thread: Beat n Path

Hybrid View

Beat n Path

Lupe Fiasco's Martial Arts TV Series Scores Asian Distribution Deal
    7:18 AM PST 12/7/2017 by Patrick Brzeski

Studio SV
    Lupe Fiasco

The Grammy winner's debut docuseries 'Beat n Path' follows him as he explores his twin passions of kung fu and hip hop on a cross-country tour of China.

Hip-hop star Lupe Fiasco's music and martial arts docuseries Beat n Path has been picked up for primetime broadcast in Asia by Celestial Tiger Entertainment.

CTE will air the show on its entertainment channel, KIX, which covers Southeast Asia and Hong Kong, beginning in March 2018. KIX caters to action fans with a programming mix including combat sports, blockbuster action movies, action TV series and edgy reality shows.

Beat n Path should be right at home on the channel. The show follows Fiasco as he drops everything to embark on a cross-cultural journey across China, pursuing his passion for martial arts by practicing with kung fu masters throughout the Middle Kingdom, while also taking the opportunity to dig into China’s emerging hip-hop scene.

"Beat n Path is a unique Asia-centric journey and story that we feel can strongly connect with a wide audience," Fiasco said in a statement. "The CTE and KIX team have outlined a masterful marketing and distribution plan that will allow the series to perform very well throughout Asia."

Beat n Path is the first show from Studio SV, a new Los Angeles- and Hong Kong-based content studio co-founded by Fiasco and Hong Kong entrepreneur Bonnie Chan Woo in October. The partners say the venture will seek to produce other high-end TV programming, digital content and films for an international audience, with an emphasis on projects that are edgy, disruptive and consistent with Fiasco's hip-hop persona.

“The Celestial Tiger team have a keen understanding of the audience that will love this series and are astute at reaching them in unique ways, resulting in great connectivity with viewers and a mutually beneficial relationship for our companies," Woo said of the CTE deal. "They have been down this road before, and hit home runs with many programs so we’re excited that ‘Beat n Path’ is in their fold.”
    Forgive my naivete about hip hop (sad, I know, because I moonlight working in the music world), but I don't know Lupe Fiasco. Anyone into him?

thread: Beat n Path
    thread: Kung-Fu Music
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just premiered last night

Anyone know how to watch Celestial Tiger Entertainment's Kix in the U.S.?

Lupe Fiasco's New Series Will Chronicle His Quest To Master Kung-Fu
    By Mitch Findlay
    March 08, 2018 12:30

Kevin Winter / Getty Images

Lupe Fiasco is about to take his martial arts game to the next level.

Lupe Fiasco is the iron fist. Destined for a higher purpose, the acclaimed lyricist has put down the microphone in order to channel his inner Danny Rand. Like the Wu-Tang Clan before him, Lupe has long been fascinated with martial arts. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Lupe is actually adept at swordplay, and seems to take the art of combat seriously. It's no surprise, as Lupe has always been meticulous about his craft. Now, it would appear he is planning to take things to the upper echelon. The Chicago rapper has signed up for a new Documentary series called Beat n Path, which will focus on his quest to elevate his martial prowess.

The series will follow Lupe as he travels to China in order to train with Kung-Fu Masters throughout the pilot. As Lupe's hip-hop roots run deep, the rapper will also explore China's budding hip-hop scene. In an interview with Kix Asia, Lupe opened up about his love of martial arts, and how he kept his passion alive long into adulthood:
    "I trained in the martial arts with my father since I was about 3 years old and it's always been a passion of mine. It pops up in my music sometimes [with] little hints of it here and there, but for the most part, my fans never really saw that side or really saw my martial arts side. They only know me for being a musician and a rapper. Hopefully this show will introduce people to that side of me."
    Check out Lupe's interview below, for more of his notable influences. You can also catch a brief promo of Beat n Path after the jump. The series is set to premiere tonight on Celestial Tiger Entertainment's Kix in China.

lupefiascobnp

Follow
    Click video for sound
    Video
    Comment
    lupefiascobnpY’all ready for this? 😏

#repost from @kixasia

Follow hip hop artist, @lupefiasco, as he drops everything to embark on a cross-cultural journey throughout China! Catch the exclusive WORLD PREMIERE of this brand-new docuseries and travel with Lupe as he chases his dual passions for music and martial arts.
    lupefiasco
    Verified

Follow
    Comment
    10,493 likes
    lupefiascoTwo Bosses...Building Things From Scratch From Chicago To Hong Kong...Real #KungFuHustlers @bonniechanwoo
    #BeatNPath Premieres Tonight In Asia on @kixasia @studiosvstories

1 DAY AGO
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great Video! Growing up in a martial arts environment has a very definite influence on ingraining future generations.

PalmStriker - check out the vids if you like this

LUPE FIASCO SHARES NEW SONG “AIR CHINA” & TRAILER FOR NEW DOCUMENTARY SERIES ‘BEAT N PATH’

POSTED BY ELIJAH C. WATSON 1 MIN AGO

Source: Studio SV

The trailer finds the Chicago rapper learning Shaolin Kung Fu.
    Lupe Fiasco has released a new song titled “Air China,” which coincides with the premiere of his new documentary series Beat N Path. The video for “Air China,” which can be viewed on Lupe’s own website, finds him traveling to China and ends with the title card for the new docuseries.

The trailer begins with the Chicago rapper saying that he has traveled to the country to learn Shaolin Kung Fu.

“One thing my father would always say is, ‘Go to the homeland. Find somebody to teach you.’ And now I actually have the opportunity to do what my father always wanted us to do,” Lupe says in regards to his quest to China. Aside from learning Kung Fu, the trailer shows Lupe participating in other activities a part of Chinese culture.

“Before the music, it was all about the martial arts,” Lupe said in a statement. “I trained in the martial arts with my father since I was about 3 years old and it’s always been a passion of mine. Little hints of it pop up here and there in my music, but for the most part, my fans never really saw my martial arts side. They only know me for being a musician and a rapper. Hopefully this show will introduce people to that side of me.”

The nine-episode docuseries, which is directed by Simon Yin and produced by Hong Kong’s Studio SV, is currently available to watch on Lupe’s website.
    Let us know how these vids are, PalmStriker. I don't have time to watch them right now...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Beat N Path buzz

I'm sharing this on our Shaolin Journeys thread and our Beat n Path thread.

Lupe Fiasco Grew Up With Martial Arts — Then Went To China To ‘Study With The Masters’
    Arionne Nettles
    July 2, 2019
    3 MIN

Arionne Nettles/WBEZ

Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco stands in the Stony Island Arts Bank before screening his new docu-series, "Beat N' Path," on Tuesday.

Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco is going global in a new way — film.

Fiasco, whose real name is Wasalu Muhammad Jaco, said he learned martial arts from his father. Now, after a recent trip to China, he’s releasing a new docu-series and supporting a new cultural program right here in Chicago to honor his family’s legacy.

In China, he visited the Shaolin Temple, learned traditional Chinese martial arts, watched Sichuan face-changing opera — which he described as a mix of “kung fu meets performance arts meets ballet.” He even worked with a sword maker to create traditional Chinese weaponry.

Fiasco’s new docu-series, Beat N’ Path, follows his exploration of China’s culture and history. He screened the series Tuesday for friends and family at the Stony Island Arts Bank, which is next to where his father’s martial arts school stood in the 1980s and ’90s.

“Try and study with the masters”

Beat N’ Path pays homage to his father, Gregory Jaco, who did martial arts for more than 40 years.

“[My father] said if we ever get the opportunity, go back to the countries of origin where these martial arts started,” he said. “Try and study with the masters … at the schools where these things originated.”

Fiasco, 37, and his sister, Ayesha Jaco, grew up in their father’s school, absorbing all the learning and culture that came along with it. He said the trip was like coming full circle.

“It literally started here,” he said of the block where the Stony Island Arts Bank now stands. “My martial arts tradition started here right next door, and this bank was a part of it.”

"Make your community better than you found it"

Although the docu-series celebrates the exploration of Chinese culture, the Beat N’ Path project also serves as the launch of an arts and culture programming here at home. The project partnered with Rebuild Foundation, which runs Stony Island Arts Bank and reopened the former bank building as a neighborhood space in 2015. Proceeds from his newly released song, “Air China,” will help fund that programming.

“We were born into the martial arts ... we were babies born into it — at the karate class, at the dojo, running around,” Fiasco said. “And so this area, in this community, is like the epicenter for me. My first memories are of this of this place.”

His sister, who is Rebuild Foundation’s 2019 dancer in residence, said that work in the community is an important part of upholding their father’s legacy. The project is in partnership with the second phase of her Rebuild fellowship, called “Black Samurai.”

“He told us your role, no matter what it is that you do, is to make your community better than you found it,” she said. “And so for Lupe, he chose music and philanthropy. … For me, it was dance.”

Lupe Fiasco produced Beat N’ Path with Hong Kong-based Studio SV, which he created with his partner, Bonnie Chan Woo. Simon Yin directed the series, which can be streamed at lupefiascobnp.com.

Arionne Nettles is a digital producer at WBEZ covering arts and culture. Follow her on Twitter at @arionnenettles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips