Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The art of Boomerang --- SLT

The art of Boomerang --- SLT

I have a day dream today,

SLT is the art of V.

In the ancient china, the SLT power DNA is a sickle type of power, the power which cuts both sides and both forward and backward direction. the strike appear straight but it is spiraling.

In today's language, SLT trains boomerang type of 3D force vectors trajectory. it is a spinning boomerang which is always balance and dynamically flow.

Like a boomerang, as simple as boomerang's V structure, mechanics and dynamics, In operation, it hits its target which is within its flow path with any part of its blade; and that is the famous Inch power of WCK ---- any part of the body can issue power at its touch point...--- non premeditative but totally sense based.

Todays, some says SLT is an art of hammer and nail, some said it is an art of pole, some said it is the art of knive..........
    but people no longer remember it is an art of sickle or boomerang.

Well, I share with you my day dream.

enjoy this boomerang clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqsnA...eature=related

it is up to you to ignore it or believe it.. hahaha
    But I have shared my secret /day dream

Can your YJKYM support a boomerang power?
    can your structure become dynamic and transform you to be a boomerang?
    Is it still exist a SLT which could turn into a boomerang?
    Those are good questions for those who love to day-dream and might get lucky.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-03-2009 at 07:07 PM.

i think it's easy and common to try and compare body structure to non-human things.

even tho wing chun may have what some to consider animal shapes like fuk-sao, its only because it resembles something like a beak, when actually, its just a human hand making an anatomically effective shape that looks like a lot of other things.

SLT to me is not a boomerang, a hamme a nail, a pole or knife. (even tho someone may have gotten the idea of a concept from these things, it only makes sense to keep the human body a human body..not a tiger, or a hammer or a boomerang.

Hey let the man have his boomerang!!!

If that's how he wants to express it!!!

My kung fu is more tech 9 ish!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by tigershorty View Post
    i think it's easy and common to try and compare body structure to non-human things.

even tho wing chun may have what some to consider animal shapes like fuk-sao, its only because it resembles something like a beak, when actually, its just a human hand making an anatomically effective shape that looks like a lot of other things.

SLT to me is not a boomerang, a hamme a nail, a pole or knife. (even tho someone may have gotten the idea of a concept from these things, it only makes sense to keep the human body a human body..not a tiger, or a hammer or a boomerang.
    The character for fuhk (fuk) is a composite of man and dog. It's a man standing over/controling a dog. Fuhk means to control/subdue. If you've ever seen two dogs fight you may notice how they use their paws in the "fuhk" shape to control/subdue the other dog's neck/head.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

the fuk sao is commonly described as a crane's beak and was meant as example.

your comment proves the point, however, that a shape can look like a lot of things to several people. doesn't mean that's what it's trying to copy, only used to describe. when trying to copy something, it may not work for the sake of copying.

Phil,

I have heard that before and found it very fascinating! It's funny how the charecters relate directly to the meaning! Those who are not familiar with this can miss so much. I think this speaks to the nature of the fuhk sau as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    I have a day dream today,

SLT is the art of V.

In the ancient china, the SLT power DNA is a sickle type of power, the power which cuts both sides and both forward and backward direction. the strike appear straight but it is spiraling.

In today's language, SLT trains boomerang type of 3D force vectors trajectory. it is a spinning boomerang which is always balance and dynamically flow.

Like a boomerang, as simple as boomerang's V structure, mechanics and dynamics, In operation, it hits its target which is within its flow path with any part of its blade; and that is the famous Inch power of WCK ---- any part of the body can issue power at its touch point...--- non premeditative but totally sense based.

Todays, some says SLT is an art of hammer and nail, some said it is an art of pole, some said it is the art of knive..........
    but people no longer remember it is an art of sickle or boomerang.

Well, I share with you my day dream.

enjoy this boomerang clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqsnA...eature=related

it is up to you to ignore it or believe it.. hahaha
    But I have shared my secret /day dream

Can your YJKYM support a boomerang power?
    can your structure become dynamic and transform you to be a boomerang?
    Is it still exist a SLT which could turn into a boomerang?
    Those are good questions for those who love to day-dream and might get lucky.

Hendrik you should be working on the 'Force' not boomerang's , let the force be with you my friend ; )

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Hendrik you should be working on the 'Force' not boomerang's , let the force be with you my friend ; )

Force has different type and I love a boomerang type.

From Miss Wing Chun to Terence who have never seen the Boomerang retrograde mechanics;

Nope, WCK's signature is not push pressing forward to the centerline but Retrograde Sickling into the center line..

Thus, it is a six directional force vectors resultant balancing in a 3 D space instead of single direction force such as in other arts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ap...rs_in_2003.gif

New right?
    nope,
    what do you think the Ngoi Lin and Noi Lin cyclic / sickling/ boomeranging is for .... but, now it is missing the power generation part.... hahahaha

Who like to use the following beat for practice SLT/CK/BJ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAeH...eature=related

I must be daydream again. But then I might just having a time travel back from there.....
    Well, enough Wing Chun code for the future generation.

get your retrograde back and they will have a very difficult time to take you down.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 07-05-2009 at 05:41 PM.

your comment proves the point, however, that a shape can look like a lot of things to several people. doesn't mean that's what it's trying to copy, only used to describe. when trying to copy something, it may not work for the sake of copying.
    I've studied for 4 of YM's students since the 70's plus some other WC Sifus from Yip Man's lineage and from non-YM lineages. I've never heard of the fuhk being described as a crane's beak. I did learn Crane's beak when I studied Fu Jow Pai and Hung Ga though. But the fuhk is different.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I learned Cantonese in college so that I wouldn't get confused with regards to WC's Chinese terms. Some people will even say the Tan Sao means palm up block. It doesn't. I've studied for 4 of YM's students since the 70's plus some other WC Sifus from Yip Man's lineage and from non-YM lineages. I've never heard of the fuhk being described as a crane's beak. I did learn Crane's beak when I studied Fu Jow Pai and Hung Ga though. But the fuhk is different.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

tan is nothing to do with the palm, fok is neutral neither jum or tan its a nothing hand a neutral position along the line for training talk , after striking one does a fook sao to retract back to a neutral position in chi-sao simple, no stimulus to be a tan or a jum , jut etc...relax and fok around a while
    No energy hand to take energy out of the wrists in training ...when the hand comes back from vu sao in SLT it turns to fok sao it drops limp with no force at the wrists, the concentration is to push the elbow out not to focus on the wist/s, only the positions of the wrists along the centerline and the elbows being close to the centerline in an acute angle.
    This in turn makes the forearms straighter than normal and allows the practitioner to not us force against force in lateral blocking tan actions etc....with turning stances
    rather the man sao is the lead and simply fires using tan/jum force along the line whie the rear hand becomes the leads opposite..example tan follows jum or jum follows tan, it only matters what side the fight is on ...the line stays at your center and your arms fire along the line , either you shift and turn like a fighter to gain an optimal position or create one ...
    Yip Man " let your opponent show you what to do "
    Last edited by k gledhill; 07-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.

From my perspective metaphors like boomerang or hammer-nail or whatever aren't particularly helpful. I think we'd do better to dispense with the metaphors and just talk about things as they really are, talk about what you are really doing or trying to do, how things really work, etc. instead of coming up with concepts that only add layers of obfuscation to reality.

Moy Yat used to tell people "go play tan sao to your father" when they were low on money!

Who says CMA uses all animal motions?!

The tan is to train the outside leading edge of the striking arm ...
    example : if you are on the guys right [your right tan] flank ...you use the outside of your right striking arm and the inside [jum] of your left striking arm . ...

the jum sao is elbow in , but not a 1-2 block n hit action, only done in a 1-2 beat in dan chi to develop the one strike WITH inward line defense AS it strikes forward ...the 1-2 action in the drill becomes redundant [ punch becomes punch again] but with the added , unseen energy of the jum strike along the line ...

the tan sao follows [or leads] by striking OFF the line to the jums staying on the line force using the pecs and shoulder girdle muscle group to keep the elbows low and inside...the tan elbow leaves the line once the strike fires , this generates a sharp lateral energy as the elbow spreads away from the center ..BUT the strike[tan] never leaves the centerline because tan as jum are both the preliminary positions to strike from in training ...in a fight you really arent going to see a tan and a static jum blocking...you CAN use them to receive attacks and be blocks but your then being a target and using defensive actions to an attack...

The tactics are to STRIKE A STRIKE , counterstrike an attack with a simultaneous strike that through tan /jum training , can also cover your centerline as you attack the guy in the same instant while then trying to maintain the percentages and keep the attack going to a take down or what transpires in real time...

The tactical direction to make this arm exchange from tan/jum work involves the facing from angles to a given line of attack or a line of force ..this can be a left leg kicking out to your groin, an attempt to grab you with a left arm while trying to hit with a right after the grab... a leading left jab with a left step ...
    the chi-sao drills that involve the seung ma toi ma make the stepping in attacking / angling counter attacks ingrained in us...iow when I step into you randomly in chi-sao drills , it isnt to be how I face prior to attacking or how I use 2 arms extended to roll with a grappler, its to have an equal starting point for 2 PARTNERS, to react from and respond with techniques and positioning INSTINCTIVELY to a given side of attempted entry from each other , in the here and now of real and unknown attacks...iow i deliver a tan strike from the 1/2 arm poisiton of tan simply to train my tans starting point relative to ME and my line ...I bong an arm over mine and cycle back to tan sao [aka elbow in] then I do the punch for the partner , he/she strikes the strike or bongs and back to elbows in....
    By adding the stepping aka attacking entry to learn to face a shifting moving target, the partner doing the angling is learning to adopt correct striking angles that can utilize the jum striking the tans attempted entry...iow the jum doesn't statically hold rigidly a blocking angle and let the tan stepper push them , rather the jummer doing the angling is striking while keeping the tan covered AS the strike from the jum arm goes in AS the guy comes ...ie head collision, timing , balance, structure are being tested over and over & over etc.....when you fight for real you have the added time and distances of a face off to move , shift, feint, using a side stance , not a lead leg as many adopt, the side stance offers no lead leg for thai boxers to kick and it allows us to shift and face the correct flanks as they are delivered ...

The striking point is critical for several reasons, why we spend so much time doing the seung ma toi ma drills....if the strikes are thrown to far away we are over extended ...to slow and we cant generate ample force to do any damage...arm chase and we dont even strike ...stick to arms and you lose the focus of striking the opponent repeatedly and engage in sticky tag , with air chops doing lop grabs ...

The concept of simultaneously attacking as the defense has to have a technical/tactical ability to deliver the idea, through a systematic training regimen , a lot of which is redundant to the actual fighting.

a simple example, try this ...

strike from a tan sao to a vertical fist , then back to tan sao then strike again...keep the elbows on the line until you strike... have a partner put an arm out 1/2 extended as you stand on their flank...ie your left tan to their left arm , face 45 deg to them as they face stright ahead , have them strike and try to strike to their head[ controlled] while also trying to keep thei arm from moving yours off the intended target....
    you will find that you over extended [ cant touch the head with any force , try the chest to really hit them hard once or twice] or they may feint you and you find that your chasing the arm to deliver the tans force then try again simply punch them with sufficient force in the chest to knock them back AND use the tans lateral energy as it explodes off your line ....now remember you arent even able to hit them with both actions yet and its been how many years you are training ; )

and its the tan arm that is striking ... one arm, low elbows stance solid to back up the forces you meet , angles correct , motion added, stress later of chi-sao, sparring to see the reasons for more training

jum is the same for the partner , partners left arm is still extended as it was for your tan strike , face them at the same angle as the side entry for the dummy try to angle yor self so the jum is striking them in the chest as you keep their arm from touching your chest AND deliver sufficient force to knock them back 6ft [ why we do inch punching, to test the stance , balance, while holding a tight position and do jum or tan to a partner ]

The whole system is devoted to this simple idea .
    Last edited by k gledhill; 07-06-2009 at 06:54 AM.