Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Bench

Horse Bench

Of all my traditional training tools, I always end up practicing with the horse bench. My sifu would not let men touch another weapon until we could perform the form to his satisfaction. He always stressed its importance.
    Arm/wrist strengthening -(i'm telling you....try swinging this thing around. or try sitting in a parallel horse stance and grab the bench by the bottom of two legs and hold it out in front of you arms parallel.)

coordination - used both as a long range weapon and short with kicks, dives, rolls and rolling the bench across your shoulders.

history - intro for young students into chinese tea ceremonies and ettiqute(sp?)

I just wanted to see if other KF people used the horse bench and wondered if it was such a large part of training.

I have trained using railroad ties. sitting in horse with one across your leags and one across your extended arms. And also using cinderblocks for various things. but never a horse bench. but it sounds interesting as well as tiring. Just when you thought you wee trining hard Check out his picture............. below
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

What's a Horse Bench?

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

a bench for sitting, quite common in chinese tea houses back in the golden years

think of a sawhorse. turn the top flat on its side and lower the legs to sitting height.

ichiwawa.

I don't use horse benches.

Bakamoichigei Ralek-son.

Not buying the fingerstand.

Do the horse benches help develop chi power? Or is it only external power?

I'm not the guy to ask that question to. I'm not sure if chi exists. If it does then I don't think you can gain it. Its something you have at birth and could only learn to cultivate.

To me its strength training and stamina. Weights or dumbells would give you the same benefit but the bench is a nice tool and a heavy chair can work in its place.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 01-07-2002 at 01:40 PM.

I purchased "the Legend of the Drunken Master" this past weekend and saw a great scene with Jacki fighting off an entire horde of bad guys while swinging around a horse bench!

although it was coreographed fighting he still used many of the techniques that are in the form I learned.

-Using the legs in an uppercut fashion
    -Swinging the bench above the head and at the ankle level to "sweep" the room.
    -Trapping opponents arms with the legs of the bench
    -Rolling the bench across the back of your shoulders to transfer the weapon to the other hand

I've always admired this unique yet plain "weapon" for its amazing versatility.

btw: Wasn't there a recent article in Inside KF on this recently? (my apologies to Gene)

shaolin tiger 00, I was just floored by your comments

I'm not the guy to ask that question to. I'm not sure if chi exists. If it does then I don't think you can gain it. Its something you have at birth and could only learn to cultivate.

To me its strength training and stamina.
    were you being serious???????????

kung fu cowboy

what arent you buying? that it cant be done? please........

I believe the two finger handstand can be done. I've seen it done with two fingers using both hands. i'm not even going to get involved in the 'chi existing' thing.

The horse bench seems like a good thing to know for sure. It seems like it would be great for strength training as well. Are you pretty good at it? So there's a form for the horse bench? Can you do it with speed and power?
    I am nothing.

Earth Dragon,
    I'm just not sure. I'm certainly not rallying against it but I'm trying to keep my mind open and accepting to all.
    By my own experience and training I have practiced the arts of cultivating these inborn properties. When I do wild goose qigong I "feel" my chi rise and settle. I can feel it fill my dantien and push to my extremeties. I become more intense and alive after these excercises. When I punch I can feel the root of my power come from the soels of my feet thru my trunk thru my knuckles. I feel all the things that I have been taught.

I just wonder, "What if this is in my head?"

qigong=hyperventilation and trance like psycho induced ? I don't know the answer... somewhere in this lies a buddhist reality. (being very subjective) does it work for me because I believe?

I'm very skeptical of Eastern medicine (with the exception of accupuncture.)

wow were starting to get on 3 different topics (all cma related though):

bench,
    does chi exist?
    eastern medicine

In my opinion i think that this is really the true allure of kungfu. It is more of a lifestyle than just a form of combat. It is a philosophy, a history, several sciences (botany,internal medicine etc.), health and better living, character and showmanship (wushu, lion dancing, musical instruments) and yes.. fighting skill.

Qi dup,
    am I good at it? yes sir. I "own" this form!

speed and power? Plenty of it!