Thread: Big Brother

Big Brother

How did we miss this one?

Donnie Yen to deliver MMA in Kam Kar-wai’s ‘Big Brother’?
    Posted on November 1, 2017 by JJ Bona

“Big Brother” Teaser Poster

If you’ve been following your social media accounts, you’ve probably come across photos of Donnie Yen back on set for a mysterious, untitled movie that’s currently in production – but if you look closely – the title of the film is right before your eyes. Hint: It’s not Enter the Fat Dragon and it’s not Ip Man 4.

The name of the film is Big Brother, an upcoming MMA-themed actioner directed by Kam Kar-wai whose Color of the Game recently opened in theaters.

Very little is known about Big Brother, but from what we’re able to gather, the movie features MMA fighters, stuntmen and other players in the action film genre, including Jess Liaudin (Night Fare), Brahim Acchabkhe (Boyka: Undisputed IV), Craig Miller (The Brothers Grimsby), Tom Caserto (My War), Semiquaver Iafeta (Unbeatable), Lockhart Ogilvie (Level Up) and industry figure, Mike Leeder (Ultimate Justice).

We’ll keep you posted as we learn more. Until then, here’s a look at what director Kam Kar-wai is capable of in the Trailer for Color of the Game:
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

awww ****

I just finished my Chollywood column for the next issue and overlooked including this in a paragraph on Donnie's upcoming projects.

Donnie Yen excited about ‘Big Brother’
    Wednesday February 28, 2018
    05:26 PM GMT+8

Donnie Yen working on one of his many projects this year. — CinemaOnline pic

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 28 — Although Donnie Yen has a slew of projects this year, he is most excited about the upcoming release of his own company’s new movie, Big Brother (previously reported as Dai Si Hing).

As reported on Oriental Daily, the actor who also stars in the upcoming movie as a school teacher, shared that the main theme of the new film is not just about Mixed Martial Arts, but also the education system.

“Actually, I have always wanted to make a movie about education. I now have the ability to do it, so I want to make a subject that concerns the community,” he said.

Donnie said that he hopes the audience will be moved to discuss the subject of education after watching the movie.

As of now, the movie, directed by Kam Kar Wai (Colour of the Game) and co-stars great MMA talents like Jess Liaudin (Night Fare), Brahim Acchabkhe (Boyka: Undisputed IV), Craig Miller (The Brothers Grimsby), and Semiquaver Lafeta (Unbeatable), has just wrapped up production. — CinemaOnline
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Big brother official trailer (donnie yen action movie)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Big Brother 大师兄 - Official Trailer (In Cinemas 16 August)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

bringing positive energy to society

Donnie Yen has high hopes for new movie ‘Big Brother’
    Published 1 day ago on 27 June 2018

Donnie Yen can be seen soon in ‘Big Brother’. — Bernama pic

HONG KONG, June 27 — Martial arts actor Donnie Yen admitted that he has high hopes that his upcoming movie, Big Brother, will bring some positive energy to the society.

As reported on Oriental Daily, the actor, who appeared at the press conference of the said movie alongside co-stars Joe Chen, Yu Kang, Bruce Tong, and director Kam Ka Wai recently, shared that he hopes to use the little influence he has to motivate young people through the story.

“As a father, I also faced a lot of issues regarding my children’s education, which is why I decided to make a movie that could talk about education, while bringing positive energy and entertainment at the same time,” he said.

In the movie, Yen plays the role of a new teacher who finds himself facing many issues as he begins his job — from the risk of his school shutting down, to poor performing students.

“As a father, I learn every day to be a good teacher to my kids. I understand the stress students face every day. I really expressed my real experience in the movie,” he added.

As for school violence, Yen shared that he is no stranger to bullying and discrimination, being a minority in a school in the United States.

“I would encounter bullies every day. Luckily, I have started learning kung fu at the time, and Bruce Lee was very popular. I dressed like Bruce Lee to school every day. The kids know that I am good at martial arts, so they didn’t do anything to me,” he said.

Big Brother is scheduled for release this August. — CinemaOnline
    This fills out the comments in the article I posted above back in February. Nice to see a Kung Fu film with a message. I mean a message other than 'train Kung Fu to kick ass and take revenge'. Not that this is a bad message, it's just overdone.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens this Friday

Courtesy of Well Go USA again.

BIG BROTHER
    大师兄

Synopsis
    Martial arts legend Donnie Yen stars as a former soldier recruited for his toughest mission yet – teaching a class of teen delinquents. As he kicks his way into their school and home lives, it becomes clear that his unconventional teaching style might be just what they need.

Director Kam Ka Wai
    Cast
    Donnie Yen, Joe Chen, Jack Lok, Yu Kang

Genre
    Run Time 101 min
    Release Date Aug 31, 2018

UNITED STATES
    August 31, 2018
    Atlanta
    Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24
    Boston
    AMC Loews Boston Common 19
    Chicago
    AMC River East 21
    Dallas
    Cinemark Legacy
    Honolulu
    Consolidated Theatres Pearlridge 16
    Houston
    AMC Studio 30
    Las Vegas
    AMC Town Square 18
    Los Angeles
    AMC Atlantic Times Square
    AMC Puente Hills 20
    AMC Orange 30
    AMC Santa Anita 16
    New York City
    AMC Empire 25
    College Point Multiplex Cinemas
    Philadelphia
    AMC Cherry Hill 24
    San Diego
    AMC La Jolla 12
    San Francisco - Bay Area
    Century 25 Union City and XD
    San Francisco / Bay Area
    AMC Metreon 16
    AMC Mercado
    Seattle
    AMC Pacific Place 11
    Washington, DC
    Regal Cinemas Rockville Center 13

CANADA
    August 31, 2018
    Edmonton
    Cineplex Cinema City Movies 12
    Montreal
    Cineplex Odeon Forum Cinemas
    Ottawa
    Cineplex Odeon South Keys Cinemas
    Toronto
    Cineplex Cinemas Markham & VIP
    Vancouver
    Cineplex Cinemas SilverCity Riverport
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This Friday

This would be a great way to launch into Labor Day Weekend 2018.

Well Go USA to Release Donnie Yen Action Flick 'Big Brother' in North America (Exclusive)
    9:54 PM PDT 8/13/2018 by Patrick Brzeski

YouTube screengrab
    'Big Brother'

The Hong Kong martial arts legend stars in the film as a seasoned former soldier who turns to unconventional methods to teach a high school class of teenage delinquents.

Well Go USA has scooped up North American distribution rights to Big Brother, the latest action flick starring Hong Kong martial arts legend Donnie Yen (Ip Man, Rogue One).

The indie action and genre distributor will release the film nationwide Aug. 31, one week after its wide release in China. The company plans a digital release later in the year.

Donnie Yen stars as a seasoned former soldier recruited for his toughest mission yet: teaching a class of teen delinquents. As he kicks his way into both their school and home lives, it becomes clear that his unconventional teaching style might be just what they need. At the same time, he has to deal with a greedy entrepreneur and his gang of fighters as well as the government

“Well Go is honored to continue our long relationship with Donnie Yen,” said Doris Pfardrescher, Well Go’s president and CEO. "Donnie’s star has continued to rise as international audiences become increasingly aware of his martial arts and acting prowess, and Big Brother is an exciting, funny and touching film that will only add fuel to that fire.”

Big Brother is written by Tai-lee Chan and produced by Donnie Yen, Wong Jing and Connie Wong.

The deal was negotiated by Pfardrescher for Well Go USA and Angela Wong for Mega-Vision Project Workshop on behalf of the filmmakers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes offering. ENTER TO WIN!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for BIG BROTHER! Contest ends 5:00 p.m. PST on 5/23/2019.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

Donnie Yen as the most amazing high school teacher ever. Like ever ever. He comes to a school facing funding cuts and closure and fixes the life problems of his troubled students. There are so many lectures - about how bad smoking is, about being a good person, about studying hard for your goals - glaringly jingoistic. It's very Hallmark special, with lots of preachy scenes on how we should all do better. Donnie knows all and can solve all the problems. Most are family and poverty issues. Everyone has a backstory told in flashbacks, and there is much crying. He meets all the families and fixes them in absurd ways to pop music in the background - mostly 7 Years by Lukas Graham.

It's super sappy - painfully so.

Then one student gets mixed up in One Championship (insert product positioning for Asia's biggest MMA league) and there's this awesome locker room fight where Donnie takes on all these MMA fighters. It's a really complex and brutal fight. It's only a few moves per shot but it's high impact, and tricky stuff. Well composed, worthy of Donnie. If you can't take the sap, fast forward to this fight scene and you'll be rewarded.

Then it gets sappy again. Then it goes into a Donnie war flashback that's sanguineous with lots of explosions. It's like a full on frontline war zone firefight. Scenes of bodies ravaged by war. Donnie dodges bullets and mortar fire, goes full auto and even bazookas up. There's some Donnie soul searching where he backpacks the Great Wall, spends time in a yurt with indigenous folk, goes to snowbound tundra where there are huge yak herds, lots of scenic panoramic shots of Donnie all over China.

Then it gets sappy once more. Then there's another awesome fight - a real mano-a-mano duel. That's also quite good. And these fights go for a long time, much longer than all the fights I've seen in all of the Hallmark Specials combined (not that' I've seen any of those in years, but I can project). The tone change from the Hallmark Special is jarring both times, but once the fight gets rolling, I'm fully invested. Donnie still delivers.

There is sort of a sword scene with a long meat carver, but it's mostly brandishing. Nevertheless, the action is worth the watch - this is a perfect example of a fast forward to the fight scenes kind of movie, unless you're a glutton for Chinese film and want to see what agendas they are propounding like me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips