Thread: Guan Dao Training

Guan Dao Training

Little bit of training in the Guan Dao.

Nice! How much lighter is springy steel compare to...you would say...combat ready? You use to avoid injury? Keep posting videos and experiences!

That looks good, but why do you sharpen a floppy-metal fake weapon? Its utility isn't increased by being sharpened, rather the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    That looks good, but why do you sharpen a floppy-metal fake weapon? Its utility isn't increased by being sharpened, rather the opposite.

those are two different Guan Dao. the one in the first the light wu shu version . and this one is very heavy, I would guess like 50 pounds. I practice with both depending on how I feel that day. if I want to train my power the heavy or just get a light workout and move around the light.

Ok thanks. So the heavier Guan Dao has weapon-quality steel?

From what I gather people usually dull their weapon quality swords for safety. The sellers recommend it. You can always sharpen it again if a war breaks out or something.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    Ok thanks. So the heavier Guan Dao has weapon-quality steel?

From what I gather people usually dull their weapon quality swords for safety. The sellers recommend it. You can always sharpen it again if a war breaks out or something.
    this one came with a bit of a blade on it . yeah I guess if you were strong enough to whip this thing around as a weapon it could defiantly do some damage. I think of it as strength training. I think if you got hold of a shovel or something similar you could also use some of the forms movements to fight with
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 01-07-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Makes sense. A European halberd might be a good choice too, and easier to find a good one in the West (I would guess)

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-18-halberds.aspx

Just a tad tricky to train with outdoors in public places.
    Last edited by rett2; 01-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei View Post
    Nice! How much lighter is springy steel compare to...you would say...combat ready? You use to avoid injury? Keep posting videos and experiences!
    The one you see in the sharpening video is like 50 pounds I'm guessing. this light one maybe couple pounds really don't know. It is good to work with both in my experience.

50 lbs. Nice.

You can always add to the two previous Heavy Guandao articles you've already written for us. I've always thought heavy weapon training is a fascinating topic; it's somewhat unique to CMA.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You can always add to the two previous Heavy Guandao articles you've already written for us. I've always thought heavy weapon training is a fascinating topic; it's somewhat unique to CMA.
    If I do Gene it would be mostly from a personal perspective and interpretation on how they connect to the movements and applications of Shaolin Kung Fu as a fighting art. I don't have a whole lot of historical information on it other than what I wrote on it already.

Here's a thought...

You've never done anything like basic exercises with a heavy Guandao - like a 'step-by-step how-to' piece. This is assuming that there's something more than just the form - like basic drills - your Shuaijiao piece implied as much. Extra points if you could show how this might be done with a barbell, because not everyone has access to a heavy Guandao.

We can take this up privately if you are interested in pursuing it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You've never done anything like basic exercises with a heavy Guandao - like a 'step-by-step how-to' piece. This is assuming that there's something more than just the form - like basic drills - your Shuaijiao piece implied as much. Extra points if you could show how this might be done with a barbell, because not everyone has access to a heavy Guandao.

We can take this up privately if you are interested in pursuing it.
    I will see what I can do Gene.