Apparently this has been going on for some time and has an international following. A friend invited me to play. I've never seen the film so I don't really know anything about it beyond some quick web research. Anyone hear of this before or involved with it?

Here's the wiki explanation:
Jugger is a sport inspired by the 1989 film The Salute of the Jugger (released as The Blood of Heroes in the United States), in which a game of the same name is played.[1][2] The film version was invented by the film's writer-director, David Webb Peoples, especially for the movie. The transformation into a real sport happened independently in Germany and Australia.

Jugger as sport is gaining popularity in Germany, especially with university and college teams, with its own league. There are teams in Australia, Austria, Ireland, England, Poland, Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Colombia, Costa Rica, The Netherlands, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania. A couple of variations of the sport are played in the USA. Some follow the International version (e.g. Germany, Ireland etc.) while others use a model that more closely resembles The Game that is played in the movie.

The first ever Jugger international tournament took place in Hamburg, Germany on 20 May 2007 between the Irish team Setanta and a number of the Northern German teams. In 2008, Australia and Ireland came to Germany to take part in the 1st German Open, making it the first two-continent tournament in Jugger.
Kind of like Quidditch with nerf weapons, I guess.

Here's the Jugger Australia site.

Here's a vid: