Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am very sad.

Hybrid View

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

I am very sad.

I've been gone from here a while.

And, yet, I am still ( if i read it right ) the 9th most prolific poster????

That is very shameful of all of you noobs.

Like, wft are you doing????

Training?

No, prolly not.

Cuz, no one is training like we did...back...: "In the day''

So, you noobs are just lazy.

Are your fingers hurt?

Are you not offended enough to write long diatribes regaling everyone in the real 'truths'?

WTF are you talking about now????

I would like to care.

But, 'A man does not care'.

However, I did happen upon a statement I felt worthy of updating my sig for.

Gene must be very, very tired...and for that, I am very most sad.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I blame Facebook.

That and there's a general consensus. We don't argue much anymore because there isn't much to argue about.
    Like in the old days it was all about the big question of "is kung fu relevant?"
    We kind've answered it on the boards with the answer of "it depends".

For example... Can TCMA be used in MMA? It depends. Can a stand alone TCMA work by itself in MMA? Absolutely not. Can TCMA principles and techniques work in MMA? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I blame Facebook.

That and there's a general consensus. We don't argue much anymore because there isn't much to argue about.
    Like in the old days it was all about the big question of "is kung fu relevant?"
    We kind've answered it on the boards with the answer of "it depends".

For example... Can TCMA be used in MMA? It depends. Can a stand alone TCMA work by itself in MMA? Absolutely not. Can TCMA principles and techniques work in MMA? Yes.
    You can say that about ANY 'stand-alone' martial art/martial sport. Including karate, TKD, Hapkido, Krav Maga, western boxing, Muay Thai, American kickboxing, American 'Combat Karate', Judo, Kali, Silat, Savate, etc., etc. They all must be modified/added to in order to work in the sport of MMA. AFAIK, nobody has even attempted to use Krav Maga, emtpy-handed Kali, Hapkido, Savate, etc., in the cage, yet people don't seem to question their worth.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-19-2018 at 01:32 PM.

The Lesser Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You can say that about ANY 'stand-alone' martial art/martial sport. Including karate, TKD, Hapkido, Krav Maga, western boxing, Muay Thai, American kickboxing, American 'Combat Karate', Judo, Kali, Silat, Savate, etc., etc. They all must be modified/added to in order to work in the sport of MMA. AFAIK, nobody has even attempted to use Krav Maga, emtpy-handed Kali, Hapkido, Savate, etc., in the cage, yet people don't seem to question their worth.
    Modified/Added and Subtracted.
    MMA has restrictive rules and is a restrictive situation that forces a limited but new combination set of sport fighting methods. It's artificial, that's why nothing fits it.
    Ray Butcher teaches Aikido usage for MMA but I think it's mostly for groundwork as I think most Aikido takedowns are illegal because of the rules about small joint manipulations and certain types of strikes. A kick is Savate, Hapkido. Krav Maga. I saw some spectacular types of TMA kicks take down opponents on some series broadcast from Japan.

MMA has little value for RBSD, street fighting etc or for general TMA benefits. Generally an entertainment, not worth bothering about in this field.
    "顺其自然"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    ... as I think most Aikido takedowns are illegal because of the rules about small joint manipulations and certain types of strikes.
    Which Aikido takedowns? Which strikes?
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Hey, Guys. Glad to see all's well on the forums ! Time to narrow down your style : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lWyUJwNrtM
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 01-20-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Posting is way down...

...the flame wars have all moved to social media. And you know, I'm okay with that.

Our views are still up and that's what counts, at least in terms of the long game. The nice thing about our ol' forum here over social networks is that our forum is a searchable database. So, anyone looking up pretty much anything about Chinese martial arts on the web will land here eventually. The forum is like a magnet even if fewer people post here anymore. That's why we're still getting so many views. That's why I post items from the newsfeeds here every working day. It keeps feeding our crowd sourced archives.

And you're right Oso. I am very very tired. No rest for the wicked. But my qigong keeps me moving forward. Still miles to go before I sleep.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

in before someone wants to debate MightyB's post, lol.

nice poetic reference there, Gene. I knew I knew it from somewhere but had thought it might be a Grateful Dead lyric. But, Frost. Well done.

i even mostly quit FB for personal use, just have my business page up...and it's a pretty sad one at that...need to make more money to pay someone to manage that crap for me.

anyways, cheers everyone!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

LOL - I miss the flame wars! My job has me sitting for long periods at a computer waiting for video clips to render. The flame wars at least kept me amused throughout the day.

I figured someone would jump all over my post and we could get this old thing to flame up again. I must be losing my forum fu ability. I flip flop back and forth about quitting FB. Part of my job has me managing a couple of pages, but my personal one... idk. It's ok I guess.

i'm currently doing anything but my taxes...lol.

i got my pool contractor's license here in FL last year. going to be a bit of an uphill battle against the status quo down here...South FL is full of selfish, self-centered people at best...crooks and thieves at their worst.

i had to leave FB...the nonsense was too much for me. and, really, the fake friend thing. FB makes friendships too casual a thing. I recently re-activated my personal account because of a death in the family...not a **** thing has changed. Turning it back off.

flame out

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    LOL - I miss the flame wars!
    I don't. Sure, there was an intrinsic entertainment value. But it reminded me of what I've read about ancient Roman gladiatorial events where they'd have the warm up fights (the undercard) be two blind slaves with knives. Plus I had to be the one to sort it all out when some one got all butt hurt and called for the Ban Hammer.

Remember the Ban Hammer? I miss that. Haven't had to ban anyone in a while.

I hope this doesn't jinx me. I got work to do...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't. Sure, there was an intrinsic entertainment value. But it reminded me of what I've read about ancient Roman gladiatorial events where they'd have the warm up fights (the undercard) be two blind slaves with knives. Plus I had to be the one to sort it all out when some one got all butt hurt and called for the Ban Hammer.

Remember the Ban Hammer? I miss that. Haven't had to ban anyone in a while.

I hope this doesn't jinx me. I got work to do...
    I noticed a month ago all of the martial art forums are not really talking, like Sherdog and Bullshido it`s all just highlights of last weeks fight and how much they benched yesterday

I think it`s more than that there hasn`t really been a big Kung Fu movie since maybe Kung Fu Hustle like a good stand alone story like Enter The Dragon or 5 Deadly Venoms, I wonder if Martial Arts is going through a phase of old age like John Wayne Westerns from the 1930`s to 1990`s with Back To The Future 3 and Unforgiven the Western kind of died out. Van Damme and Rocky are old now, Martial Art Cinema and Media had a good run from the few years of hard work Bruce Lee put into his films and image before he passed away. It was a **** good run lol looking at it now older than Bruce when he passed. Like he picked up some Nunchuks and Hollywood made Billions from the James Bond Karate Chop Death Claw to Marvel Movies on Netflix.

Traditional Martial Arts won`t go anywhere there are enough family styles passing it on to the next generation but western youth are playing video games online now, in the 80`s and early 90`s when Karate was King we spent a lot of time in the Video Game arcade lol but the west was at it`s worst stats for crime rate in 1993 so martial arts were huge with the youth street fighting outside the local 711`s after playing Mortal Kombat.

One thing Hollywood is having a problem with from the marketing department and the whole diversity campaign is say you have an hour long sitcom with a few minutes of commercials, now 1 page equals 1 minute of script so you have around 50 pages to fill up with story. So you have a script about a wooden doll who wants to be a real boy but marketing says we should get the new pink, green, blue and silver actors into the sitcom it will get so many likes on your favorite social media platform lol. So they bring in a few diverse actors to bring in new fans but what that means for the actual writer who really wants to tell his story about the wooden dolls dreams he now has to write 5 pages for the pink guy and 5 pages for the green guy and so on where in the end it turns out as 20 minutes of diversity marketing and 30 minutes spent on the 3.5 star Rating Pinochio remake which makes $70 million and the original which just spent 50 minutes on the wooden doll`s story and the events he went through which got 5 star rating for 60 years sold a cool billion in Merch.

sometimes a $2 million dollar low budget all Hong Kong Kung Fu flick can be more enjoyable than new mega million dollar blockbusters and the youth would rather play fortnight online than train a few hours Kata like the Van Damme wannabe`s back in the day.

I wonder what the next phase in Martial Art media will be.
    Last edited by diego; 01-19-2018 at 12:13 PM.

...the flame wars have all moved to social media. And you know, I'm okay with that.

Our views are still up and that's what counts, at least in terms of the long game. The nice thing about our ol' forum here over social networks is that our forum is a searchable database. So, anyone looking up pretty much anything about Chinese martial arts on the web will land here eventually. The forum is like a magnet even if fewer people post here anymore. That's why we're still getting so many views. That's why I post items from the newsfeeds here every working day. It keeps feeding our crowd sourced archives.

And you're right Oso. I am very very tired. No rest for the wicked. But my qigong keeps me moving forward. Still miles to go before I sleep.
    Yeah, posting has been WAY down (hearing crickets) here since around 2013.

I've been a member of another forum that is knife-related (bladeforums) for as long or longer than I've been here, and that forum has shown no signs of slowing down at all. If anything, that one and its subforums have grown over the years. It's a pretty gigantic forum. So IMO, it's posting about MA online, particularly TMA/TCMA, that has dropped way down, probably reflecting the amount of participation in them.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-19-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Posts are down but our views are about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I've been a member of another forum that is knife-related (bladeforums) for as long or longer than I've been here, and that forum has shown no signs of slowing down at all. If anything, that one and its subforums have grown over the years. It's a pretty gigantic forum. So IMO, it's posting about MA online, particularly TMA/TCMA, that has dropped way down, probably reflecting the amount of participation in them.
    Interesting. TMA & TCMA sales are still good though. It's doing fine economically, at least from our unique business perspective.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Interesting. TMA & TCMA sales are still good though. It's doing fine economically, at least from our unique business perspective.
    Well, that's good to hear.

It's interesting how the big names in MA from back in the '60s to the early '90s are (or seem) mostly forgotten. Almost a decade ago, my CLF sifu set up a table at a Grand Nationals tournament to sell, among other things, a DVD that featured rare footage transferred from films he had taken in the late '60s through the '70s, of various name guys, including Benny Urquidez, Bong Soo Han, and many other names from the American MA and CMA world. I helped man the table, and I think we only sold one of those DVDs. Others briefly checked them out and said, "Who are they?" and put them back down.