Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You can say that about ANY 'stand-alone' martial art/martial sport. Including karate, TKD, Hapkido, Krav Maga, western boxing, Muay Thai, American kickboxing, American 'Combat Karate', Judo, Kali, Silat, Savate, etc., etc. They all must be modified/added to in order to work in the sport of MMA. AFAIK, nobody has even attempted to use Krav Maga, emtpy-handed Kali, Hapkido, Savate, etc., in the cage, yet people don't seem to question their worth.
Modified/Added and Subtracted.
MMA has restrictive rules and is a restrictive situation that forces a limited but new combination set of sport fighting methods. It's artificial, that's why nothing fits it.
Ray Butcher teaches Aikido usage for MMA but I think it's mostly for groundwork as I think most Aikido takedowns are illegal because of the rules about small joint manipulations and certain types of strikes. A kick is Savate, Hapkido. Krav Maga. I saw some spectacular types of TMA kicks take down opponents on some series broadcast from Japan.

MMA has little value for RBSD, street fighting etc or for general TMA benefits. Generally an entertainment, not worth bothering about in this field.