Thread: Diu Ma Chun La/Na

Blog Entries

Diu Ma Chun La/Na

A recent interaction on Facebook inspired me to post here..lol. I've been working my CLF again, breaking down the forms and really thinking through applications. I'm curious about the diu ma chun la/na combo that appears over and over again in the forms. Yes, I know it's a block/parry, but why cat stance? It seems a bit fragile and immobile, most susceptible to take downs. Unless you're executing a groin kick, what is the advantage? Or is it just a way to quickly retreat and block simultaneously? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

First, let me states that I am not an CLF student. I only have introductory knowledge of its basics. With regards to cat stance and grappling executed together, I can offer my view based on my experience. Cat stance is not a very strong stance because it does not very stable. Do not use it to parry a very powerful incoming attack like side kick or punch with a step towards you.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    First, let me states that I am not an CLF student. I only have introductory knowledge of its basics. With regards to cat stance and grappling executed together, I can offer my view based on my experience. Cat stance is not a very strong stance because it does not very stable. Do not use it to parry a very powerful incoming attack like side kick or punch with a step towards you.
    I think in CLF this stance/hand combo is more for parrying a punch. In real application it would probably look more like a quick back step.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    I think in CLF this stance/hand combo is more for parrying a punch. In real application it would probably look more like a quick back step.
    Playing with this a bit more makes me think the hands are a set up for a low kick. Anywhere you see a cat stance could be applied as a low kick. Otherwise, why not choose a more stable and/or mobile stance?