Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your style have any of these moves?

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    This is quite funny, the techniques Dang Tou Pao 當頭砲 and Ao Luan Zhou 抝鸞肘 just happen to appear right next to each other in WuBeiZhi, in fact on the same printed block. So the author just read these straight out of one of the military compilation manuals around at the time. It cant be a coincidence that the same wording is used AND that they appear on the same page opposing one another.

Attachment 10500
    That is super interesting! I'm sure the poem from Journey to the West has techniques lifted from such military treatises too. The main focus of my article will be on that poem. However, I do plan to mention the Water Margin poem to show there is a connection between the two.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 02-12-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Interesting to see the Sun Fist strike and Blocking strike that would also be used in Wing Chun catalog (referring to Post #15).
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 02-12-2018 at 03:04 PM.

拽開大四平,踢起雙飛腳。韜脅劈胸墩,剜心摘膽著。仙人指路,老子騎鶴。餓虎撲食最傷人,蛟龍 戲水能兇惡。 魔王使個蟒翻身,大聖卻施鹿解角。翹跟淬地龍,扭腕拿天橐。青獅張口來,鯉魚跌脊躍。蓋頂撒花 ,遶腰貫索。 迎風貼扇兒,急雨催花落。妖精便使觀音掌,行者就對羅漢腳。長掌開闊自然鬆,怎比短拳多緊削。 兩個相持數十 回,一般本事無強弱

Ok lets look at the techniques from Journey to the West then

First different technique from Shui hu zhuan is;

韜脅劈胸墩,剜心摘膽著

I think both these remarks are referring ot the same technique, it is common for techniques in Quan pu to repeat like this, the first describing the name, the second describing the action.

Here is says splitting the chest as the name, then to scoop out the heart and pluck out the gall baldder in the second part. In my estimation it is talking about striking the opponent in the solar plexus (this has the effect of 'scoopin ght eheart and plucking the gall bladder) where as splitting palm refers to the standard tuizhang. The other bit, Taoxie I think the tao is perhaps a h0mophone (different word with same sound) for pluck or it is saying maybe the off hand is placed by the waist. Eitherway I am fairly certain this is referring to the standard technique 'tui zhang'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciA1j1uPek&t

At 4:30 describes the technique in question.

Next is 餓虎撲食 E Hu Pu SHi, the hungry tiger punces on his prey.

Ok so becasue this is a cool name it is very common and their are many techniques with this same name. What it means in my clan is not necesarily the same as in other clans.

There is a common one in Shaolin and it is similar to the technique Hai di lao yue. I have a video of the technique but it is behind a paywall so I can't post it. It is a tiger claw with hip strike simultaneously.

There is another version which is a knee strike.

SO this one i svariable but certainly there is a theme, fix the enemy with a claw and use a heavy zhuang barging technique of some kind. In Shaolins OLD Qixing ba quan it is double tiger claw fixing to the opponents face and head then leaping into their body with a knee. NOT pulling their head into your knee, but leaping up into them high. Think Sagat in Street Fighter 2.

蛟龍戲水能兇惡。

Dragons puking water is a classic technique, appears a lot in Shaolin and related styles, I dont have a video of it in Shaolin form, though I know it appears in my own forms but there are actually not so many very traditional Shaolin forms on youtube to draw from.

However! I do happen to know this technique appears in the Chang Family martial arts and was written down around, if memory serves correctly, the ming-qing transition. The Chang family of Chang naizhou had their family quanpu reprinted and now anyone can by it (in chinese of course). This technique appears MULTIPLE times in their quan pu. It is in the form Xiao Luohan Quan AND there happens to be a video of it on youtube!

SO we are in luck, in luck to have the video and in luck that I have happened to see their Quan pu and remember this name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNkq_1JIw2E

At 56s -- 1:05 the sweeping the arms around then landing an upwards double fist technique to the side. Goes to the left then to the right. The video lines up extremely well with the form in their quan pu. Here is a picture from a replica of their book

Name:  IMG_0149.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  93.6 KB

This is the double dragons puking water. There are multiple variations on the name but they all rotate around the one written.

NEXt

魔王使個蟒翻身

Ok Python flips his body, another very common technique!

usually called Guai Mang Fan Shen, monsterous python flips his body. Its a staple of norhtern styles (and probably southern too).

From an old QuanPu:

拳譜曰;
怪蟒翻身力量强,單手擒敵刻不讓。轉身單臂猛一掃,
    對方搬倒地當央。强敵若逢搬攔式,縱有深攻也難防

Says basically that what you do is to chop his throat horizontally while sweeping the back of his leg. It dos the sweep with a straight leg in a long reverse bow stance. The hands extend to the side like snake like hands. One straight, the chop, the other grasping the opponents hand or somewhere.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 22.19.29.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  60.9 KB

This is confirmed in another Shaolin Manual where it says it imitates the mantis step (presumably the jade ring step which is indeed similar, python flips his body is just a much alrger frame version of it)

大蟒翻身左腿屈膝下碑,右脚掌着地,成螳螂步,在掌架於頭前上方丨 聿心向前,指向斜上方,右掌屈肘向下左侧斜欲擊,掌心斜向上,掌指向前,然後
    翻身拳打足踢對方s
[ 實用] 敵來手擊我,用左手上架或外撥,速出右掌劈砍敵人肋下,擊倒敵

Ok Next is Lu Xie Jiao

大聖卻施鹿解角

so this is basically a deers horns. Bawang si correct that this is an elbow technique. The classic deerhorns position is similar to this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9_ySM04oRw

the stance in the thumbnail, the final stance in the form at 1:12 seconds, this is called Mei Hua Lu Wo Zhen, plum blossom deer lies on a pillow, but other names I have seen are similar to what is stated in this poem. Certianyl an elbow, certianly an elbow at the side of the head. This is also a staple technique. in Taiji it is called Pi Shen Shi defend body stance (put a spear between the arms and it is the classic defending body spear in shaolin also).

I am pretty certain either this is the technique or another in the same stance but both elbows ar held by the temples.

青獅張口來

Green Lion opens mouth? No problem open lions mouth is common also. Has small and large variations.

For Large variation see Shaolins Xiao Hong Quan;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciA1j1uPek&t

07.43 for this tehcnique. (7 minutes 43 seconds)

alternatively the small frame is used for catching;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b3e_2f46ds

at 28 seconds, appears 3 times, the hands facing each other prepairng to catch.

Ok thats all I can do right now
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 02-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」