Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Crow Remake

Beginning production this fall

'The Crow' to fly again with Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
    Saturday, 9 April 2011

Spanish director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo will resurrect 'The Crow.'

The Spanish director of 28 Weeks Later, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, has signed on to resurrect The Crow, starring the late Brandon Lee, son of martial arts master Bruce Lee.

The 1994 adaptation of the comic book series tells the story of a murdered man who comes back to life to avenge the killing of his fiancé.

The studio is referring to the remake as a "re-invention" of the initial gothic version. The script will be re-written by musician Nick Cave, who also wrote The Proposition with Guy Pearce.

The cast has yet to be chosen, though Mark Wahlberg was considered but passed, according to The Playlist. The film is scheduled to begin production this fall.

Fresnadillo is currently completing Intruders, a horror thriller starring Clive Owen (Duplicity).

The original film's producer Edward R. Pressman will come on board to co-produce with Fresnadillo's producing partner Enrique López Lavigne of Apaches Entertainment in hopes of creating a similar impact on a contemporary audience.
    You got to check out the new issue, Doug. Some fan busted my chops for my coverage on Jay Chou in Channeling Kato: Jay Chou dons the iconic mask in GREEN HORNET.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bradley Cooper?

Bradley Cooper Eyeing Starring Role in 'Crow' Remake (Exclusive)
    The actor is in early negotiations to star in the Relativity film, being directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.
    April 12
    6:14 PM 4/12/2011 by Borys Kit

Bradley Cooper is in early negotiations to star in Relativity’s remake of The Crow, being directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

In the adaptation of the gritty black-and-white indie comic by artist James O'Barr, Cooper will play a rock musician who is murdered while trying to save his fiancée from thugs. He is resurrected by supernatural forces and seeks revenge. The role was originally played by Brandon Lee, who was killed by a freak accident during production in 1993.

Relativity is flying fast with Crow, with Fresnadillo only officially boarding the project a week ago. The Spanish director of 28 Weeks Later is said to have met with Cooper in Spain recently, where the two hit it off and shared a vision for the character and the film. Relativity would not confirm the talks but sources say Cooper, currently in theaters in Relativity’s hit thriller Limitless, is keen to board the project.

The new film is being produced by Edward R. Pressman, Jeff Most, Relativity's CEO Ryan Kavanaugh and Apaches Entertainment's Enrique Lopez Lavigne and Belen Atienza.

Production is targeted to start in the fall. Relativity’s Tucker Tooley (The Fighter) will serve as executive producer. José Ibáñez, Pressman Film Corporation’s Jon Katz and Apaches’ Jesús de la Vega will serve as co-producers.

Cooper, repped by CAA, next appears in The Hangover Part II, which opens May 26.
    This so doesn't work for me...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bradley Cooper is no Eric Draven. And I like the guy just fine.

The problem is that the Crow is legendary, in part because it was an adaptation of a cult classic graphic novel and because it was Brandon Lee's last film. Brandon did a great job on the movie, even if it does have some weaknesses.

They ought to do a straight adaptation of the graphic novel and set it in the 80s.

I need to read that book again. it's been a very long while since I read it.

Cooper and Wahlberg are both too old. They have to find someone darker- and in their mid to late 20s for the role.

Honestly- I don't like the idea of remaking this movie. Like Zenshiite says, it's a legendary movie and not one that should be remade. Remember how awful the Crow 2 was? And that was nothing but a cheap remake.

I'd rather them just take the concept... that of a murdered person being resurrected by a spirit crow for revenge - and run with a new story line.

Why can't it be a Crow movie, but instead of Detroit and Draven, be Juarez - a family guy/ case of mistaken identity, and a bunch of suit wearing cartel overlords? Still have a murder, still have a spirit crow, still have revenge - but have it be a new movie.

One of the few movies I ever walked out during. The remake can't be worse.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I agree with MK.

The movie was absolutely terrible, imo. I know it was Brandon Lee and all, but it still sucked big fat ones.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

the crow? legendary?

i whole heartedly disagree with that statement. its not even an opinion its just a flat out lie. cult yes...legendary hell no. gone with the wind was legenday, casablanca legendary, the killer legendary, freaking 36th chamber legendary....that not so much..still liked it.

I've always thought it was a little creepy

The whole storyline about coming back from the dead and then having Brandon get killed in the making - there was this creepy recursive element. It makes a very eerie double feature with Game of Death.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Cooper and Wahlberg are both too old. They have to find someone darker- and in their mid to late 20s for the role.

Honestly- I don't like the idea of remaking this movie. Like Zenshiite says, it's a legendary movie and not one that should be remade. Remember how awful the Crow 2 was? And that was nothing but a cheap remake.

I'd rather them just take the concept... that of a murdered person being resurrected by a spirit crow for revenge - and run with a new story line.

Why can't it be a Crow movie, but instead of Detroit and Draven, be Juarez - a family guy/ case of mistaken identity, and a bunch of suit wearing cartel overlords? Still have a murder, still have a spirit crow, still have revenge - but have it be a new movie.
    Hate to break it to you, but the Crow 2, and 3, and 4, were all essentially what you've asked for in that last paragraph. All were different guys, slightly different situations, in different cities. They sucked.

Also, so did the tv series they did with the Eric Draven character.

They should just leave it alone. The only thing that might have merit is an anime version of the comic. Complete with the music of the era that is quoted in the book. Joy Division FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but the Crow 2, and 3, and 4, were all essentially what you've asked for in that last paragraph. All were different guys, slightly different situations, in different cities. They sucked.

Also, so did the tv series they did with the Eric Draven character.

They should just leave it alone. The only thing that might have merit is an anime version of the comic. Complete with the music of the era that is quoted in the book. Joy Division FTW!
    i disagree movies like this should be updated every ten years pr so.

And the quest to remake every movie ever made goes on...

I dunno, I liked the original Crow, mostly because of the feel and that "early 90's" thing they had going on - the decadent urban gothic scenario was very appealing, if you like that sort of stuff.

Though the dialogue was pretty crappy the first crow was pretty good largely because someof the actors were fantastic and saved it

i enjoyed the second one and the series but everything past that was god awful

the third movie had a guy that looked like ramon the pool boy from seinfeld and the other one the guy looked like a fat butch lesbian

This doesnt reboot doesnt strike me as helping any lol

and now they are going to ruin the original highlander film again too

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    and now they are going to ruin the original highlander film again too
    as long as they dont have a spaniard with a english accent it cant be taht much worse lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    as long as they dont have a spaniard with a english accent it cant be taht much worse lol
    you mean a Spaniard with a scottish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    oh they will! apparently hundreds of years ago everyone talked with a english
    accent.

Vinne jones is set to be the kurgan

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down