Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.F. Giants: Bruce Lee Tribute Night

S.F. Giants: Bruce Lee Tribute Night

Bruce Lee Tribute Night
    Tuesday, 9/4 vs. ARI 7:15 p.m.

Tickets to go on sale soon. Please check back later for updates.
    2012 serves as the "Year of the Dragon", so what better way to celebrate than to honor the life and times of The Dragon himself, Bruce Lee? Lee, a San Francisco native, went on to become arguably the most renowned martial artist of all time, and the Giants would like to recognize that! By sharing his knowledge and skills throughout the world, Lee became not only a master, but an icon. Your ticket to this event will include a collector's edition Bruce Lee bobblehead, as well as a ticket to the game in one of the Bruce Lee Tribute Night sections! Whether you are a martial artist, instructor, or fan, we look forward to hosting you and your group at AT&T Park. Partial proceeds from this event go to the Bruce Lee Foundation.
    There's gotta be a Kung Fu Panda connection here...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Bruce and the Giants

There's vid if you follow the link.
    Giants' New Left Fielder Only Catches Fowls
    Team hopes hawk named Bruce Lee will solve its gull problems
    By John Upton on March 28, 2012 - 5:59 p.m. PDT

Courtesy/Adan Toledo, San Francisco Giants
    Bruce Lee, an immature red-tailed hawk, devours a pigeon at AT&T Park

Here’s the scouting report for Bruce Lee, the new left-fielder for the San Francisco Giants: young, fast, aggressive, good wing, a real ball hawk. Opponents unlikely to risk stealing. In short, Bruce Lee is a potential late-inning game-changer as the Giants prepare to open the 2012 baseball season at AT&T Park.

The scouting report has only one potential weakness: Bruce Lee only catches fowls. But that is exactly what the Giants need to defeat a growing problem with pigeons and with seagulls that swoop down on the stadium in late innings, stealing French fries and bombarding fans with their messes.

Gleeful Giants officials named the young red-tailed hawk after the famous San Francisco-born martial artist, after watching the bird catch and devour pigeons that soil the ballpark and steal grass seeds from its turf.

“It’s a warrior,” said Jorge Costa, the Giants operations director. “You don’t mess with it.”

The hawk, which took up a perch high above the third-base side of the park in November, has been spotted in the skies above the ballpark in aerial duels with crows and gulls. But, for the most part, “whenever it’s even remotely in the area,” Costa said, “there is no bird activity of any kind here.”

The real test of the raptor’s usefulness will come Monday evening, when the Giants host an exhibition game against the Oakland Athletics. The season opener at AT&T Park is scheduled for April 13 against the Pirates.

Seagulls have been a growing problem since the waterfront ballpark opened in 2000, and they have a renowned knack for showing up during the ninth inning, expectantly hovering over the stands and sending fans home covered with guano.

The problem grew so serious last year — with greedy gulls sometimes diving into the stands for garlic fries and hot dogs before the games were over — that the team opened talks with a falconer in hopes that he could chase them away during games this season.

But the costs of hiring the falconer turned out to be “prohibitive,” according to Costa, who said the team might use remote-controlled aircraft disguised as falcons to scare away the gulls if Bruce Lee fails to perform.

“We just hope that it works out,” Costa said. “We’ll see.”

The hawk generally visits the ballpark for a few days and then disappears for a few days, according to Costa. He said the team built a box for it to nest in on one of its favorite light towers along the third base line.

But until this week, when The Bay Citizen sent photographs of the bird to experts, the Giants thought Bruce Lee was a peregrine falcon.

That means that the franchise will need to build a different type of platform if it is to woo the bird to nest at the ballpark, said Allen Fish, director of the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory.

The hawk’s plumage lacks the species’ distinctive red tail, indicating that it is less than a year old and not yet nesting, according to Fish.

The hawk might be ready to nest a year from now, but a shortage of trees around AT&T Park means that it’s unlikely to do so there, Fish said. He said introducing ground squirrels and gophers to nearby landscaping could help convince Bruce Lee to stick around, although that would be unpopular with landscapers.

A pair of red-tailed hawks nested at Candlestick Park before the Giants moved to the waterfront, and Fish said the birds can be comfortable with the noise and lights generated by humans.

“If they choose to be in a human setting with human noises and human disruption, they seem to do fine,” Fish said. “If they’re found out in a remote area and suddenly you bring the human activity to them, they will tend to freak out a little bit.”

The birds, which grow to a couple of feet in length, are found from the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific Coast. They nest in cactuses in Mexico, on rocks in the tundra of Alaska and on building facades in New York City.

“Red-tailed hawks are the everyhawk,” Fish said. “They’re tremendously adaptable and ubiquitous and they seem mostly fairly tolerant of humans.”
    BTW, a buddy of mine got tickets for the Bruce Lee Tribute night this year. If any other forum members attend, let's hang!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This needs its own thread because I gotz tickets now...

Poached from the Bruce Lee Memorials thread.

[U.RL="http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/sf/ticketing/group_special_events.jsp#brucelee"]Bruce Lee Night[/URL]
    Tuesday, 9/4 vs. ARI 7:15 p.m

2012 serves as the "Year of the Dragon", so what better way to celebrate than to honor the life and times of The Dragon himself, Bruce Lee? Lee, a San Francisco native, went on to become arguably the most renowned martial artist of all time, and the Giants would like to recognize that! By sharing his knowledge and skills throughout the world, Lee became not only a master, but an icon. Shannon Lee, Bruce's daughter, will be in attendance to perform the National Anthem, with Linda Lee Cadwell, who was married to Bruce up until the time of his passing, to throw out the ceremonial First Pitch. Your ticket to this event will include a collector's edition Bruce Lee bobblehead, as well as a ticket to the game in one of the Bruce Lee Tribute Night sections! Whether you are a martial artist, instructor, or fan, we look forward to hosting you and your group at AT&T Park. Partial proceeds from this event go to the Bruce Lee Foundation.

Lee Tribute: VIP Triples Alley Experience
    Enjoy complimentary food and beverage (including beer and wine), a special VIP edition Bruce Lee Bobblehead, and a visit by members of the Lee family, Shannon Lee and Linda Lee Cadwell. Partial proceeds will benefit the Bruce Lee Foundation. Unlike any other ballpark setting, this on-field space is the perfect place to enjoy all of the pre-game excitement at the ballpark.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I really have to move back up to the bay area, I hate the Giants but love that city.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Next week!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Giants lost 8-6 in the 11th

No worries. I got my Bruce Lee bobble head.

Shannon sang the national anthem. Linda threw the first pitch. The Giants donated $27K to the foundation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

one more pic

Here's Linda and Shannon on the big screen as they accepted the check from the Giants.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

World Champions!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

They are doing it again!

Unfortunately it'll be the day Tuesday after TCEC and I don't know that I'll have the stamina.

Bruce Lee Tribute Night - Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of "Enter the Dragon"

Tuesday, 6/4 vs. TOR 7:15 p.m.

In 2012, the "Year of the Dragon", the San Francisco Giants paid respect to the Dragon himself, Bruce Lee. Back by popular demand, the Giants are proud to announce Bruce Lee Tribute Night is back in 2013! "Enter the Dragon", released in 1973, was the last film that Lee starred in, and the Giants invite you and your family and friends in helping them celebrate the 40 Year Anniversary of this widely acclaimed film! Lee, a San Francisco native, went on to become arguably the most renowned martial artist of all time, and the Giants would like to recognize that! By sharing his knowledge and skills throughout the world, Lee became not only a master, but an icon. Your ticket to this event will include a collector's-edition "Enter the Dragon"-themed Giants item, as well as a ticket to the interleague game to watch the Giants take on the Toronto Blue Jays! Whether you are a martial artist, instructor, or fan, we look forward to hosting you and your group at AT&T Park. Partial proceeds from this event benefit the Bruce Lee Foundation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some of my friends went

I was offered a ticket, but I couldn't go. I still had a lot of clean-up after TCEC & KFTCD. There were two Bobbleheads from last year's event at TCEC. One of my friends managed to score a bunch of them through this weird fluke and he wanted to donate them for some sort of raffle, but with all of the excitement, we couldn't get that together. So the Tiger Claw President took one (and he was very happy about it). A fight ensued within my crew for the second one. Punches were thrown and a victor was determined.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've got a ticket for this year

You have to follow the link to get to the vid. I couldn't figure out how to embed it here.

Tim Lincecum 'interview' with the late Bruce Lee is odd but cool
    By David Brown | Baseball Writer
    June 23, 2015 8:28 pm ET

This video would be so much better if Tim Lincecum were pitching well. Alas, he has posted a 7.00 ERA over his past six starts, so even though his overall ERA remains on the good side of 4.00 (for now), the Giants are talking about replacing him. Really, the best thing you can say about Timmy's pitching is, there are worse pitchers. If you judge by Fangraphs WAR, there are about 15 of them. That's a long way down from the Cy Young days.

All of that said, the Giants have produced a short video made up to look like a talk show from the late 1960s in which Lincecum "interviews" Bruce Lee (who also happens to have been dead since 1973). It's a strange but great way to promote the 75th anniversary of Lee's birth, which is coming up later this year, and to announce they're giving away a Lee bobblehead at AT&T Park.

'Be water.' (MLB.tv)

Lee, of course, was born in San Francisco, though he spent a lot of time (also of course) making movies and doing kung fu in Hong Kong. Here's the Lincecum Show:

Watch:

The interview is edited to make it seem like Lee is a former pitcher and Lincecum is picking his brain for pitching secrets. There's lots of weird stuff here. The concept. The look. The juxtaposition of Lee and Lincecum. Lincecum's mustache. Lincecum's ability to act (which isn't bad).

The original Lee footage is from a real interview in Hong King with Canadian journalist Pierre Berton in 1971, in which Lee gives some famous advice:

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”

And it kind of blows Timmy's mind.

Is that going to help him stay in the Giants rotation? Probably not, but there might not be anything left to try.

Anyway, kick back with your favorite beverage and watch the full interview with Lee after watching the Lincecum interview. Blow your own mind.
    Bruce Lee 75th Birthday Celebration

Tuesday, 7/7 vs. NYM 7:15 p.m.

You and your family and friends are invited to join the Giants organization in celebrating a special birthday for Bruce Lee! 2015 would have served as Lee's 75th birthday, and the Giants hope you join them and members of Lee's family for a fun-filled evening at AT&T Park. Lee, a San Francisco native, went on to become arguably the most renowned martial artist of all time, and the Giants are proud to recognize that. By sharing his knowledge and skills throughout the world, Lee became not only a master, but an icon. Your ticket to this event will include a ticket to the game to watch the Giants take on the Mets, as well as a special 75th Birthday-edition Bruce Lee/Giants bobblehead! Whether you are a martial artist, instructor, or fan, we look forward to hosting you and your group at AT&T Park. Partial proceeds from this event benefit the Bruce Lee Foundation.

BRUCE LEE TRIBUTE NIGHT ITEM REDEMPTION LOCATION: VIEW RESERVE 334 UNTIL END OF 5TH INNING
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It took the Little Dragon to break that losing streak

Shannon sang the national anthem. Linda and Bruce's granddaughter (forgot her name ) threw the first pitch. Pence made a glorious double play. I have another Bruce Lee bobble head.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Is Shannon's daughter adopted? Is Keasler her father?

Shannon and the late Brandon are Bruce's and Linda's children

Read my 2009 interview with her in Shannon Lee on HOW BRUCE LEE CHANGED THE WORLD
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2016!

Saw this at Silicon Valley Comic Con last weekend. It's the Tuesday after our tournament this year, but I still plan to be there. A good friend already secured a ticket for me.

Bruce Lee Tribute Night
    Tuesday, 5/24 vs. SD 7:15 p.m.

Back by popular demand, the Giants are proud to announce Bruce Lee Tribute Night is back in 2016! Lee, a San Francisco native, went on to become arguably the most renowned martial artist of all time, and the Giants are proud to recognize that. By sharing his knowledge and skills throughout the world, Lee became not only a master, but an icon. Your ticket to this event will include a ticket to the game to watch the Giants take on the Padres, as well as a limited-edition Bruce Lee/Giants t-shirt! Whether you are a martial artist, instructor, or fan, we look forward to hosting you and your group at AT&T Park, as various pre-game and in-game elements with be themed around Bruce Lee! Partial proceeds from this event benefit the Bruce Lee Foundation.

BRUCE LEE TRIBUTE NIGHT ITEM REDEMPTION LOCATION: VIEW RESERVE 334 UNTIL END OF 5TH INNING
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips