Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stunts - injuries & deaths

More with Ruby

Ruby Rose Opened Up About Her "Terrifying" Neck Surgery For An Injury That Almost Paralyzed Her
    "I wanted to talk about it because Hollywood — and the world at large, I guess — we always try to make out like everything is effortless," the Batwoman actor said.
    Ellie Hall
    BuzzFeed News Reporter
    Posted on September 30, 2019, at 1:28 p.m. ET

JJ Reddington for BuzzFeed News

Ruby Rose said Monday that she decided to publicly discuss her recent neck surgery to combat the entertainment industry's expectations of actors.

Rose, 33, was injured performing stunts while filming Batwoman, which premieres Sunday on the CW.

"I wanted to talk about it because Hollywood — and the world at large, I guess — we always try to make out like everything is effortless and everything is about kind of being perfect and being a certain way," the actor told BuzzFeed News during an appearance on AM to DM. "I think in Hollywood it's sort of like you're meant to be young and beautiful and strong and good at all these different things. And it's kind of like, we're also human beings. And I wanted to embrace the fact that, yeah, no, I have a Pez dispenser scar."

Rose shared the news that she'd undergone an emergency surgery on Instagram on Friday.

"A couple of months ago, I was told I needed an emergency surgery or I was risking becoming paralyzed," she said. "I had herniated two discs doing stunts, and they were close to severing my spinal [cord]."

Leading up to the surgery, Rose said, she was in chronic pain and couldn't feel her arms.

She shared graphic footage of her surgery on Instagram, as well as a more SFW version featuring her surgeon on YouTube.

Ruby Rose / Instagram / YouTube

Rose told BuzzFeed News that the procedure was "terrifying" because there was a chance that it might leave her paralyzed if something went wrong — but there was also "a really high chance" that she would be paralyzed without the surgery.

In fact, she waited to talk about her surgery in part because of her fear of complications.

"I didn't tell anyone for a long time because I didn't want to distract from the show. I didn't want to have people worried about me," she said. "I didn't want to talk about it and be like, 'Hey, I did this great surgery and it's great' — and then have it [fail] and be like, 'Just kidding, it didn't work out, guys.'"

Rose added: "I want to talk about it because I've lived and it's something that I'm proud of and it's something that means a lot. It also reminded me to slow my roll, slow down a little. There's a lot of people out there who have to get much worse surgeries than this, and I would rather talk about it than pretend that it didn't happen."

Watch Ruby Rose's interview here:

Ellie Hall is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Washington, DC.
    Contact Ellie Hall at ellie.hall@buzzfeed.com.
    THREADS
    Batwoman
    Stunts - injuries & deaths
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ruled against AMC

More on Bernecker here.

OCTOBER 10, 2019 11:51AM PT
    Judge Rules Against AMC in ‘Walking Dead’ Stuntman Death
    By GENE MADDAUS
    Senior Media Writer
    @GeneMaddaus

CREDIT: COURTESY OF JOHN BERNECKER'S FACEBOOK

A judge has rejected AMC Networks’ claim that it cannot be held responsible for the death of John Bernecker, a stuntman who fell to his death on the set of “The Walking Dead” in 2017.

Bernecker’s family filed suit in January 2018, alleging that the network cut corners on safety precautions. A trial is scheduled to be begin in state court in Gwinnett County, Ga., on Dec. 9.

In motions filed in August, attorneys for AMC argued that Bernecker was in control of the stunt, and directed the placement of pads that would cushion his fall. Bernecker flipped over a railing and fell 21 feet, just missing the pads. He landed on his head, and died the next day at a hospital. AMC argued that under Georgia law, Bernecker had assumed the risks of the fall, and therefore AMC could not be held liable.

“While his death is undoubtedly tragic, under controlling Georgia law, the affirmative defense of assumption of the risk bars Plaintiffs’ claims against each of the Defendants because Bernecker, a professional stuntman, understood and appreciated the dangers and risks associated with the high fall and voluntarily attempted the stunt without coercion,” the AMC attorneys wrote.

Attorneys for Berneckers’ parents argued that Bernecker was distracted because the other actor in the scene pushed him unexpectedly, and that therefore Bernecker could not have fully accepted the risks.

In a ruling on Tuesday, Judge Emily Brantley rejected AMC’s argument, saying it was “patently obvious” that a jury will have to determine whether Bernecker had sufficient knowledge of the risks to make AMC immune from liability.

AMC also argued that it cannot be held liable because the production was handled by another company, Stalwart Films.

“There is no evidence to support a finding that the AMC Defendants owed Bernecker a legal duty of any kind,” AMC’s attorneys argued in a motion for summary judgment. “The AMC Defendants did not have any relationship, contractual or otherwise, with Bernecker. The AMC Defendants also did not direct or control the method and manner in which Bernecker’s stunt was performed.”

In response, the plaintiffs argued that AMC was ultimately responsible for the show. They also pointed to a safety manual created by AMC for the show, which stated, “AMC is a company that acknowledges our accountability and responsibility for safe production.”

Brantley ruled against AMC on Oct. 2, finding that the plaintiffs had shown sufficient connection between AMC and the production to allow the matter to go before a jury. Brantley also rejected AMC’s bid to prevent the plaintiffs’ expert, veteran stuntman Conrad Palmisano, from testifying at trial.

The parties have agreed that punitive damages in the case are capped at $250,000 under Georgia law, as there was no specific intent to cause harm.

AMC issued a statement in response to the rulings:

“This was a tragic accident,” the company said. “While we continue to believe our motions for summary judgment were appropriate and supported by the facts in this case and the law, we respect the Court’s decision — without making any determination on the merits of either side’s arguments — to allow the case to proceed.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cho injured

‘Cowboy Bebop’: Netflix Series Shuts Down Production For 7-9 Months Following Star John Cho On-Set Injury

By Nellie Andreeva
    October 18, 2019 3:30pm

David Buchan/Shutterstock

Netflix’s upcoming live-action series Cowboy Bebop is going on a lengthy hiatus following a knee injury sustained by lead John Cho on the set of the show in New Zealand.

Sources describe the injury as a freak accident that happened on the last take of a routine and well-rehearsed scene almost two weeks ago. It requires surgery, for which Cho has been flown back to Los Angeles, and an extensive rehabilitation. The production shutdown is expected to last seven to nine months. The new filming schedule will be set once Cho’s prognosis is clear.

Sunrise

Cowboy Bebop, an adaptation of the cult Japanese animated series, was a few episodes into production on its 10-episode order when the accident happened. Netflix marked the show’s start of production last week with a behind-the-scene video which featured Cho (you can watch it below).

Being relatively early into filming would allow Netflix to recast the role, but I hear the streamer is fully committed to Cho in the title role, willing to wait until late spring/early summer to resume filming, along with the logistical challenges that presents.

“Our thoughts are with John, and he has our complete support as he recuperates from this injury,” a Netflix spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline.

Following Deadline’s story, Cho posted a message on Instagram, quoting the great Bruce Lee, thanking fans for their well wishes, and vowing to be “back and flowing in no time”.
    johnthecho
    Verified

johnthecho
    Verified
    “Water can flow or it can crash.” - Bruce Lee

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Gonna be back and flowing in no time!
    The space western hails from Tomorrow Studios, Marty Adelstein’s joint venture with ITV Studios; Midnight Radio (Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Jeff Pinkner & Scott Rosenberg); writer Chris Yost; and Sunrise, the studio behind the original series.

Written/executive produced by Yost based on the worldwide phenomenon, Cowboy Bebop is the jazz-inspired, genre-bending story of Spike Spiegel (Cho), an impossibly cool “cowboy” (bounty hunter) with a deadly smile, a wry wit and style to spare, and his ragtag crew of bounty hunters on the run from their pasts as they hunt down the solar system’s most dangerous criminals. They’ll even save the world — for the right price.

Netflix

Nemec, Appelbaum, Pinkner and Rosenberg executive produce via Midnight Radio and serve as showrunners. Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements executive produce for Tomorrow Studios. Yasuo Miyakawa, Masayuki Ozaki and Shin Sasaki of Sunrise also executive produce alongside Tetsu Fujimura and Matthew Weinberg. Shinichiro Watanabe, director of the original anime, serves as consultant.

Cowboy Bebop is a co-production between Netflix and Tomorrow Studios; with Netflix handling physical production.

Cowboy Bebop, considered one of the best anime series of all time, produced 26 episodes and aired in Japan from 1998-99. It has done well internationally, garnering several anime and science fiction awards, and is credited with helping to introduce anime to a new wave of Western viewers. In the U.S., it aired on Adult Swim.

THREADS
    Live-Action Cowboy Bebop
    Stunts - injuries & deaths (assuming it was a stunt-related injury)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

I did not know Cheryl Sanders personally, but many in my circles did. How tragic.

Deadly Greene County shooting involves stunt woman, her husband and ex
    CRIME 5 hours ago
    By Parker Perry, Staff Writer

MIAMI TWP., GREENE COUNTY —
    The Greene County shooting that left two people dead Wednesday outside a million dollar home near Yellow Springs involved an ex-husband who allegedly fatally shot his former Hollywood stunt woman ex-wife and her current husband.

RELATED: Sheriff reveals names, new details in shootingGreene County officials declined to name the resident who allegedly shot and killed the two people who reportedly came onto his property with guns and who were using a camera system to monitor activity there.They did identify the resident’s ex-wife as Cheryl Sanders, who was a celebrity spokeswoman and stunt woman who appeared on the cover of Healthy Living Magazine.Her current husband, Robert Reed Sanders, also was killed in the shooting.RELATED: What we know today about the double-fatal shooting near Yellow Springs

Cheryl Sanders wrote online that she moved from martial arts and kickboxing to a career as a stunt woman in the 1980s.She said was the stunt double for Brooke Shields, Sharon Stone and other A-list actresses.She doubled for Rene Russo in “The Thomas Crown Affair” and the “Lethal Weapon” series, jumped into a speedboat for Kathleen Turner in “V.I. Warshawski” and flew into the courthouse window in “Back to the Future Part II,” according to the Denver Post. A 20-foot fall on the set of “Back to the Future Part II” brought her Hollywood career to a halt in 1989, according to the Denver Post. The bones in her face, right arm and hand were shattered when she hit the concrete after a cable was released during a flying stunt. She later returned to Hollywood after changing to a healthy lifestyle that included supplements and diet changes. She did stunt double work for Jessica Alba in 2016.Robert Reed Sanders had been licensed in real estate in Texas. Greene County Sheriff Gene Fischer said Thursday the man had a criminal record, but he did not elaborate.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

People magazine's report on the Wheelers

Stuntwoman Who Appeared in Back to the Future Part II Is Killed Along with Husband in Shootout
    The deadly incident unfolded outside a million-dollar home near Yellow Springs
    By Chris Harris February 14, 2020 12:41 PM

ZENFORMULAS.COM

An Ohio woman who made her living doing stunts for Hollywood legends like Kathleen Turner and Rene Russo was killed Wednesday in a shootout that also took the life of her husband, according to reports.

The deadly incident unfolded outside a million-dollar home near Yellow Springs, and involved a third individual who has not been formally identified.

The Dayton Daily News reports that the police say the unidentified man fatally shot his ex-wife, Cheryl Sanders, 59, and her current husband, Robert Reed Sanders, 56, after they allegedly trespassed on his property.

The unnamed ex-husband has not been charged with a crime.

Police are still investigating what motivated the couple to show up armed at the unidentified man’s residence, WDTN reports.

Cheryl Sanders was a Hollywood stuntwoman who did stunt double work for Jessica Alba, and appeared in the film Back to the Future II.

She was also the stunt double for Brooke Shields and Sharon Stone, and did stunts for Rene Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair and the Lethal Weapon series.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE’s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

She was also Kathleen Turner’s stunt double in V.I. Warshawski.

Sanders and her husband, a realtor, once appeared on the cover of Healthy Living Magazine.

By Chris Harris
    @chrisharrisment
    There's something horribly ironic about a stunt person being killed in a shoot out. So tragic.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I remembered her as Cheryl Wheeler. Back in the ‘80s, she was featured in the MA mags as a kickboxer, and IIRC even won a decision over Graciela Casillas.

Sadly, this reminds me of another woman, a once well-known karate competitor from Texas who was featured in Black Belt magazine back in the ‘70s, who in later years developed a mental illness and was shot to death after she broke into a stranger’s house. I can’t remember her name.

Letitia Wright

Kung Fu people tend to look down one wire work, but stunt rigging is hard work.

Aug 25, 2021 11:11am PT
    Letitia Wright Hospitalized After Stunt Rig Accident While Shooting ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’

By Jordan Moreau

Channel 4
    Letitia Wright has been hospitalized with minor injuries after a stunt rig accident on the set of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.”

“Letitia Wright sustained minor injuries today while filming a stunt for ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.’ She is currently receiving care in a local hospital and is expected to be released soon,” a spokesperson for Marvel said in a statement to Variety.

The film shoot was happening overnight in Boston, while the production for the “Black Panther” sequel is based in Atlanta. There is currently no impact to the movie’s shooting schedule.

In the first “Black Panther” movie, Wright was introduced as Shuri, the genius inventor and younger sister to T’Challa, played by the late Chadwick Boseman. She also appeared in the MCU team-up films “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame.”

Production on “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” directed by Ryan Coogler, began in June 2021. Plot and cast details are being kept under wraps, but it’s expected that the main cast members Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong’o, Florence Kasumba and Angela Bassett will return for the sequel to the Oscar-nominated movie.

Variety exclusively revealed last month that “I May Destroy You” creator and star Michaela Coel joined the cast in an unknown role. Additionally, it was revealed last week that Dominique Thorne, who will play the up-and-coming superhero Ironheart in her own Disney Plus TV series, will be introduced in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” ahead of her TV debut.

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” will come to theaters on July 8, 2022.
    threads
    Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever
    Stunts-injuries-amp-deaths
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tragic

Good statement from Brandon Bruce Lee's twitter. Brandon was the first person I thought of when I heard this news.

Sheriff: Alec Baldwin Discharged Prop Firearm That Left Cinematographer Dead and Director Wounded
    An investigation is underway and no charges have been filed, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department.

BY TRILBY BERESFORD, RYAN PARKER
    OCTOBER 21, 2021 4:56PM

JIM SPELLMAN/GETTY IMAGES

A prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin on the New Mexico movie set of Rust, killing a cinematographer and wounding the director, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Department.

Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, died Thursday after being injured when the prop gun was “discharged” by Baldwin, the Western’s producer and star. Hutchins had been transported by helicopter to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, the sheriff’s department said.

A spokesperson from Rust said in a statement: “The entire cast and crew has been absolutely devastated by today’s tragedy, and we send our deepest condolences to Halyna’s family and loved ones. We have halted production on the film for an undetermined period of time and are fully cooperating with the Santa Fe Police Department’s investigation. We will be providing counseling services to everyone connected to the film as we work to process this awful event.”

The Ukraine-born, Los Angeles-based DP graduated from the American Film Institute Conservatory in 2015. Her credits included indie films Archenemy, Blindfire and The Mad Hatter.

The second victim was the film’s director, Joel Souza, 48, who was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center. Juan Ríos, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office, told THR on Thursday evening that he was in critical condition, However, on Friday morning, Ríos said his condition is unclear and referred to the hospital for that information.

An update on the investigation will likely not occur until next week, Ríos said, as interviews are ongoing and evidence is being collected. Baldwin was interviewed Thursday by investigators at the sheriff’s department, Ríos said.

Directors Guild of America president Lesli Linka Glatter said in a statement that the DGA is “incredibly saddened” to hear of Hutchins’ death and Souza’s injuries. “We await further details and a full investigation. Our hearts go out to Halyna’s family, to Joel, and to everyone impacted.”

Ríos told The Hollywood Reporter that an active investigation was underway and no charges have been filed.

“According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged,” the sheriff’s department said in a statement. “Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged.”

Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza Creek Ranch set near Santa Fe, New Mexico, at 1:50 p.m. MT after a 911 call indicated an individual had been shot on set.

A spokesperson from the production said the “accident” involved the misfire of a prop gun with blanks. “Production has been halted for the time being. The safety of our cast and crew remains our top priority,” the initial statement said.

The Local 600 labor union, of which Hutchins was a member, said in a statement, “The details are unclear at this moment, but we are working to learn more, and we support a full investigation into this tragic event. This is a terrible loss, and we mourn the passing of a member of our Guild’s family.”

Firearm accidents on Hollywood sets are extremely rare, but do occur. In 1993, Brandon Lee, the son of famed martial arts star Bruce Lee, was accidentally shot and killed on the set of The Crow by another actor who fired a revolver that had been improperly prepared.

In 1984, actor Jon-Erik Hexum was involved in a prop gun incident on the set of CBS’ Cover Up. During a break in filming, Hexum accidentally shot himself while playing with the firearm, not realizing a blank was still in the prop gun. He died from his injuries six days later at the age of 26.

The official Twitter page for Brandon Bruce Lee posted: “Our hearts go out to the family of Halyna Hutchins and to Joel Souza and all involved in the incident on “Rust”. No one should ever be killed by a gun on a film set. Period.”

In Rust, Baldwin stars as infamous Western outlaw Harland Rust. When his estranged grandson is convicted of an accidental murder and sentenced to hang, Rust travels to Kansas to break him out of prison. The two fugitives must then outrun U.S. Marshal Wood Helm and bounty hunter Fenton “Preacher” Lang.

The film also stars Frances Fisher, Jensen Ackles and Travis Fimmel.

Oct. 22, 7:51 a.m. Updated to reflect Joel Souza’s condition is unknown.
    10:10 p.m. Updated with statement from the DGA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ernie Hudson

I'm splitting this off from the Stunts-injuries-amp-deaths into its own indie thread - Rust: accidental shooting of Halyna Hutchins - and tagging our Brandon-Lee thread too because this triggers that memory so much.

Ernie Hudson Heartbroken Over ‘Rust’ Shooting, Says He Can’t Watch ‘The Crow’
    The iconic actor, who was in the Brandon Lee film, agrees with those who are calling for Hollywood to ban real guns from sets after the latest tragedy.

BY RYAN PARKER

OCTOBER 25, 2021 12:27PM

Ernie Hudson in 'The Crow' EVERETT COLLECTION

Ernie Hudson, like the rest of Hollywood, is reeling from last week’s deadly shooting on the set of Rust where a gun discharged by Alec Baldwin killed director of photography Halyna Hutchins and wounded the film’s director.

The iconic Ghostbusters star knows firsthand about the devastation left in the wake of such a tragedy as he appeared in The Crow, the 1994 film in which Brandon Lee was fatally wounded.

Hudson told The Hollywood Reporter on Monday he was heartbroken for Hutchins’ family and for Baldwin, whom he has known for years after the pair worked on 1985’s Love on the Run.

“It just doesn’t make any sense,” Hudson tells THR. “It bought back a lot of memories of Brandon. We go on, we keep moving forward — but there is always that space in your life. You’re heartbroken. You have no control, but you still have to process it and how do you do that? I am just so heartbroken that anything like that can happen again.”

Brandon Lee in ‘The Crow’ EVERETT COLLECTION
    The son of legendary martial artist and film star Bruce Lee, Brandon Lee was fatally wounded in March 1993 on The Crow set by a prop gun. He was 28. His sister, Shannon, told THR last week that the family supports a growing initiative to ban real guns from sets. Hudson says he also supports that move.

“If that’s the answer, then I would like to see real guns removed from sets,” Hudson concurs. “I don’t think it is necessary to have real guns and live rounds on the set. We have the technology now to put flashes in without the [blank cartridge] rounds. I thought we found a way to do it safer.”

The Rust investigation is ongoing and Hudson notes all the facts need to come out. However, he can speak to being on productions that felt rushed. “The problem is when they start cutting budgets and they start being in a hurry,” he says. “That is what happened on The Crow. They were pushing to get it done. You put lives at risk.”

Hudson also expressed grief for Baldwin, nothing that the late Michael Massee was devastated after he fired the gun that killed Brandon Lee. “There is nothing worse than something like that happening,” Hudson says. “I remember Michael, his life was never the same.”

Rochelle Davis and Hudson in ‘The Crow’ EVERETT COLLECTION
    In The Crow, Hudson plays police Sgt. Daryl Albrecht, who responds to the scene where Brandon Lee’s Eric Draven and Shelly Webster (Sofia Shinas) are brutally murdered on Oct. 30, the informal Devil’s Night. Draven rises from the grave with mystical powers a year later to avenge their deaths and seeks the help of Sgt. Albrecht.

“I can’t watch The Crow,” Hudson admits. “It breaks my heart, and I can’t get past it. So much of it was action stuff, but Brandon and I got a chance to act together.”

Noting that one of his favorite scenes in the film is an emotional moment when Draven comes to visit Sgt. Albrecht after he arises from the grave, Hudson laments: “He was such a great guy. And you think about all the potential.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wright injured

Nov 5, 2021 1:39pm PT
    ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ to Shut Down Production While Letitia Wright Recovers From On-Set Injury

By Jordan Moreau

Channel 4
    Marvel Studios’ “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” will temporarily shut down production while actor Letitia Wright recovers from an on-set injury she suffered in August, Variety has confirmed. Production will pause starting the week of Thanksgiving and start back up in early 2022.

Wright’s injury occurred more than two months ago in late August while shooting a sequence involving a stunt rig on location in Boston. At the time, her injury was not expected to impact the film’s shooting schedule. Director Ryan Coogler and the rest of the production have been filming mostly in Atlanta since Wright was injured. She has stayed in London while the shoot continued without her.

“Letitia has been recovering in London since September from injuries sustained on the set of ‘Black Panther 2’ and is looking forward to returning to work early 2022,” a statement from Wright’s reps reads. “Letitia kindly asks that you keep her in your prayers.”

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” is set to release on Nov. 11, 2022, after it was delayed recently from July 8, 2022. The new release date is expected to remain, despite the temporary shutdown.

Wright joined the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Shuri, the genius inventor and younger sister of Chadwick Boseman’s T’Challa in 2018’s “Black Panther.” Not much is known about the plot of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” but Shuri is expected to take on a larger role following Boseman’s death due to cancer in August 2020. Other “Black Panther” cast members, such as Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong’o, Florence Kasumba and Angela Bassett, are expected to return for the sequel to the best picture nominee and three-time Oscar winner.

Variety exclusively revealed that “I May Destroy You” creator and star Michaela Coel joined the cast in an unknown role. Additionally, it was revealed that Dominique Thorne, who will play the up-and-coming superhero Ironheart in her own Disney Plus TV series, will be introduced in “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” ahead of her TV debut.
    threads
    Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jonathan Goodwin

'AGT: Extreme' contestant Jonathan Goodwin reveals on-set stunt left him in a wheelchair
    Sara M Moniuszko
    USA TODAY

Daredevil Jonathan Goodwin.
    "America's Got Talent: Extreme" contestant Jonathan Goodwin is now paralyzed and using a wheelchair after an on-set stunt went wrong on the spinoff competition show late last year.

In a Wednesday Instagram post, Goodwin, the 42-year-old former daredevil, shared a photo of himself in a wheelchair holding his dog.

"6 months ago I went to rehearse something and left this little hairy monkey waiting patiently for me... he didn't see his dad again until just a couple of weeks ago and when he finally did, dad had new cool wheels."

He added a lot has changed in the last six months, but "love is a constant and I'm very very loved."

He also said he's looking forward to my next chapters and being a "roll model" in his new set of wheels.

On a Monday episode of the "Out to Lunch with Jay Rayner" podcast, his fiancée Amanda Abbington confirmed that he's paralyzed.

"Unless there's a kind of stem cell surgery or that thing that Elon Musk is designing with the little chip, he'll be like that forever," she said.

'There is a long road to recovery':'America's Got Talent' contestant gives injury update

Goodwin was hospitalized following the accident, a spokesperson confirmed to USA TODAY in October. In a health update to Instagram at the time, the famed escapist posted a selfie of himself wrapped in bandages with burns on his face as he expressed gratitude for all the well wishes he has received.

"You can’t say you don’t get out what you put in. Ive tried my hardest over the years to be kind, thoughtful, honest supportive and good," Goodwin wrote in the caption. "A couple of days ago my life took a complete left turn… and the out pouring (sic) of love from all the corners of the world; from people I didn’t even think would know or remember me… has just been astonishing."

Goodwin's hospitalization led to "America's Got Talent" halting production of the show's spin-off, saying in a statement to USA TODAY they would "resume the last few days of filming at a later date."

The self-proclaimed "greatest theatrical stunt performer" previously competed in Season 15 of "America's Got Talent" in 2020 and made headlines with his quarterfinals act.

Contributing: Elise Brisco and Jenna Ryu, USA TODAY
    how tragic
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived

Daniel Radcliffe To EP Doc About His Stunt Double Left Paralyzed After ‘Deathly Hallows’ Accident
    By Max Goldbart
    International TV Co-Editor
    October 24, 2023 6:00am

Daniel Radcliffe (left) and David Holmes
    Sky

Daniel Radcliffe is exec producing a documentary about his former stunt double who was left paralyzed following an accident on the Harry Potter set.

Sky and HBO Documentary Films are behind David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived, the coming-of-age story of a prodigious teenage gymnast who formed an inextricable bond with Harry Potter star Radcliffe.

Holmes was working on Deathly Hallows: Part 1 when an explosion that was part of a planned stunt sent him plummeting to the ground, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down with a debilitating spinal injury that turned his life upside down.

Featuring candid personal footage shot over the last decade, behind-the-scenes material from Holmes’ stunt work, scenes of his current life and intimate interviews with him, Radcliffe, friends, family, and former crew, the film reflects universal themes of living with adversity, growing up and the bonds that bind people together.

Simon Chinn and Jonathan Chinn’s Lightbox along with Holmes and Amy Stares’ Ripple Productions are producing the doc, which will air next month.

Radcliffe is exec producing with Holmes, director Dan Hartley, Sue Latimer, Sarah Spahovic, Nancy Abraham, Lisa Heller, Tina Nguyen and Poppy Dixon. Producers are Simon Chinn, Jonathan Chinn, Vanessa Davies and Stares.
    I'll watch this.

Harry-Potter
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips