Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamen Rider

Kamen Rider

more fighters should wear miniskirts.
    Akina Minami to appear in new 'Kamen Rider' movie
    Monday 09th March, 05:18 AM JST

TOKYO —
    Akina Minami will appear in the film “Kamen Rider Deno & Decade” as a mini-skirted fighter. The new film is set in the Muromachi period in the 15th century, with Kamen Rider battling assorted monsters.

Minami, whose character is an archer, said, “I have been interested in archery for a long time. So I’m very happy to try it. My biggest challenge was the language. Since the time period of the film is different from now, the dialect is also different and difficult to master.”

The film will be released nationwide from May 1.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i like japanese gilrs in mini skirts shooting bows and arrows, then turning into super powered bug monsters that kill aliens.

sounds like something the japanese would do. win

gene

never been a fan of kamen rider, but i did like power rangers when i was younger. i loved ultra man. check out hakaider . this is based off a villian from the Kikaider series.

i have a couple of miiki movies but never saw zeebraman.

you ever hear of kaiju big battle? it started in boston around 2000/2001 i believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Check out our latest e-zine article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Machi Action

Hilarious trailer for ‘Machi Action’ featuring Bolin Chen
    January 15, 2013
    by Kaptain A

Heeee! This looks really cute. I see many conflicting comments of this production. Initially, some say it’s a rip-off of Kamen Rider, but now that they’ve read the plot, it’s more of a parody/tribute to Toku superheroes, focusing on the life of an actor after his superhero show is axed due to low ratings. Watch as Bolin Chen unveils his superhero charisma on the big screen! The film is also highly anticipated because of writer and director, Giddens Ko, who was in charge of last year’s surprise hit You’re the Apple of My Eye.

【變身--全新變身版】正式預告...Machi Action

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Enter to win BIG MAN JAPAN on DVD. Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 10/13/09. Good luck everyone!
    I just realized I never posted a link to our winners of this contest here. My bad. Here it is. Better late than never.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kamen Rider thief

If he did the robberies in costume, that would have been truly epic.

Kamen Rider stuntman applies skills to thievery
    Anime News Network 2 days ago

Yasutomo Ihara, a former stuntman known for his participation in the Kamen Rider franchise, has since turned his training to nefarious ends. In a story seemingly grafted from a J-drama, he was arrested on September 8 by Saitama Prefecture’s Criminal Investigations Unit for 43 separate counts of theft. His method involved scaling walls by slipping his fingers into tiny indentations and entering houses through their second-floor windows, earning him the nickname “Spiderman” from the investigators. His targets were in the neighboring Saitama Prefecture cities of Warabi and Toda.

Ihara’s career as a stuntman came to an end five years ago when he hurt his knee. Since then, he’s pursued an acting career, but the costs of acting lessons drove him to shady means of earning a living. Ihara trained for his burglaries in a park during the day and could be seen biking around the area scoping out empty houses, earning him a reputation as a “tall, good-looking man on the prowl.” Investigators traced his footsteps in the park, eventually uncovering some of the stolen items.

Ihara’s crimes spanned the period from November 2013 to June 2014. He stole 6.7 million yen in cash (about $63,600) and 450 possessions, totaling 8.2 million yen overall (about $77,800). Factoring in his indictment, Ihara owes 8.9 million yen (or about $84,500). He admits to the charges.

Ihara’s filmography includes Kamen Rider OOO, Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider OOO & W Featuring Skull: Movie War Core, Kamen Rider W Returns, and Tensou Sentai Goseiger, another tokusatsu series.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Darth Vader vs Kamen Rider Black RX - Animated Film

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice ! Watched the anime, however the costume is supposedly to be very skinlike instead of more kamen raider like.

Kamen groper

I never realized we had so many Kamen Rider posts on the Tokusatsu thread. I'm going to make an indie Kamen Rider thread.

Kamen Rider, one of Japan’s greatest heroes, arrested for groping woman’s breasts in Tokyo suburb
    Casey Baseel 3 days ago

Actor’s arrest parallels his character’s story arc, and also has elements from Cinderella.

Tokyo. March 4. 1:35 a.m.

A thirty-something woman stands at an intersection in Taishido neighborhood of the city’s peaceful Setagaya Ward, waiting for the signal to turn green so she can cross the road. Suddenly, a man grabs her from behind, groping her chest.

Luckily, Kamen Rider Duke, one of the characters from seminal tokusatsu (costumed superhero) franchise Kamen Rider, is on the scene! Surely he’ll defeat the evildoer, right?

Oh, wait. It was Kamen Rider Duke who was doing the groping.

On April 5, the Tokyo Metropolitan Police formally placed 30-year-old actor Tsunenori Aoki under arrest for indecent assault. Aoki, also a resident of Setagaya Ward, has admitted to the charges, saying ”I’ve been really busy with work, and I had too much to drink and got carried away.”

▼ Tsunenori Aoki (wearing glasses)

View image on Twitter

青木玄徳
    @tsunenori_aoki
    パタリロ!
    本日もご来場賜りました皆様
    誠に有難うございます!
    三津谷亮くん
    自分のデビュー作
    テニミュで共演以来です
    しかも歳も一緒で
    いつの間にかお互い30歳
    それでも相変わらずなみっちゃんに
    時々励まされますよ^_^
    明日も頑張るぞぉ〜!!!

5:31 AM - Mar 19, 2018
    916 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Aoki (who in addition to Kamen Rider Duke has portrayed anime characters in stage musicals such as Prince of Tennis’ Keigo Atobe and Princess Knight’s Captain Blood) had been drinking by himself at a nearby restaurant until about 1 in the morning. An examination of security camera footage showed him groping four different women within a 30-minute span after leaving the restaurant, and the woman he grabbed at the intersection suffered minor injuries to her neck and back.

In an odd parallel, Kamen Rider Duke, who initially appears in the Kamen Rider Gaim arcs of the franchise as a force of good, turns out to have a sinister, hidden darkness, eventually meeting an untimely death. While Aoki’s life is in no danger, it has been announced that he’s stepping down from a planned role in stage production Messiah, which opens in Tokyo on April 14. His scheduled appearance at the premiere of movie Yamikin Dogs 8, which also premiers on the 14th, has been cancelled as well

▼ Kamen Rider Duke

特撮HERO��仮面ライダー動画
    @kamen_ridr
    特撮HERO!『仮面ライダーデューク』
    変身シーン カッコイイと思ったらRT

10:40 PM - Apr 1, 2018
    76 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    While Aoki’s actions on March 4 were far from heroic, one male passerby who saw what he was doing displayed a more gallant heart, attempting to subdue the actor. Aoki managed to shake him off and fled on foot, but not before dropping a packet of personal promotional documents he’d been carrying, including a photo of himself, which made it easy to determine the culprit.

Adding one last layer of irony, Aoki’s casting as Kamen Rider Duke is part of a broader trend in tokusatsu TV series; in recent years, producers have been stocking their shows with smooth-faced young men to appeal not just to the elementary school-age boys who make up their core audience, but also to their 30- and 40-something mothers who are also near the TV while their sons are watching. But while there are plenty of women who’d ordinarily be thrilled at the prospect of a chance encounter with Kamen Rider Duke, Aoki’s behavior means he’s definitely lost at least four potential fans.

Sources: Livedoor News via Hachima Kiko, Yahoo! Japan News/Daily
    Top image: Pakutaso
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dang

Japanese superhero Kamen Rider arrested for meth use
    Casey Baseel 11 hours ago

The tokusatsu franchise continues to find itself on the wrong side of the law with second arrest in as many months.

The Kamen Rider TV/movie franchise is one of Japan’s greatest symbols of heroism. In terms of popularity and longevity, its only real rival in the live-action tokusastsu special effects genre is Ultraman.

But while the assorted Kamen Riders routinely beat up the bad guys on TV, in real life some of them are the criminals themselves. Last month, Tsunenori Aoki, the actor who plays Kamen Rider Duke, was arrested for groping a woman’s chest as part of a drunken bender, and now the cops have come for Kamen Rider Kabuki actor Toshinobu Matsuo.

▼ Kamen Rider Kabuki

Matsuo was arrested by the Tokyo Metropolitan Police on May 14, stemming from allegations of methamphetamine use during April and May of this year. Though the 40-year-old actor denies the charges, the results of a urine test had Matsuo testing positive for meth, and he is being charged with violation of the Stimulants Control Law.

It’s another black eye for the Kamen Rider franchise, and a sad turn of events for its fans, many of whom are impressionable young kids. If there’s a silver lining to this latest scandal, hopefully it can at least serve as a teachable moment for parents to remind their children that methamphetamines aren’t really part of the path of a hero, just like there’s more to being a foreign music star than smoking weed.

Source: Yahoo! Japan News/Nikkan Sports via Jin
    Top image: Pakutaso
    This is some messed up Tokusatsu
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shin Kamen Rider

Jul 1, 2021 3:32am PT
    Toei’s Kamen Rider Accelerates Toward International Markets

By Mark Schilling

Courtesy of Toei
    Kamen Rider may not have the international recognition of Godzilla — yet. But Toei, whose first “Kamen Rider” live-action TV series aired in 1971, has announced an ambitious project for raising the profile of its motorbike-riding, insect-faced cyborg hero both at home and abroad on the franchise’s 50th anniversary.

Unveiled in April at a splashy live press conference in Tokyo, the project is headlined by a new film, “Shin Kamen Rider,” directed by Anno Hideaki, the creator of the Evangelion sci-fi franchise and the scriptwriter and co-director of the 2016 smash “Shin Godzilla.” Details about the film, including story and casting, are still sparse, though Toei has penciled in a March 2023 release date.

When Variety met project producer Shirakura Shin-chiro at Toei’s Tokyo headquarters, he reaffirmed that his aim was to make “entertainment that viewers can enjoy,” while “targeting a wide demographic.” This is hardly the first time Toei has courted the international market with its signature tokusatsu (live-action special effects) TV series and films. Starting in 1993 with the hit “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” show, a co-production with Saban Entertainment, Toei has made its formula of color-coded superheroes battling monstrous opponents into a worldwide phenomenon.

In 1995, Toei again joined forces with Saban to launch “Masked Rider,” an American version of the 1988 “Kamen Rider Black RX” TV series. Also, “Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight,” an adaptation of the “Kamen Rider Ryuki” series (2002-’03) developed in partnership with Adness Entertainment, aired on the CW Network from 2008 to 2009. “We are trying to sell ‘Kamen Rider’ to not only the United States but also to the world. And like the Power Rangers shows in the past we are doing it mostly with live-action contents,” Shirakura says. The one exception is “Fuuto PI,” Toei’s first Kamen Rider animated TV series, which is set for a spring 2022 bow in Japan, with franchise veteran Tsukada Hideaki serving as producer. The international rollout is scheduled to start in the summer of the same year. Sony-owed streamer Funimation will distribute the show in North America.

“We’re not aiming at children,” Shirakura says. “The show is targeting older teenagers and young adults.” The third part of the project is “Kamen Rider Black Sun,” a reboot of the hit “Kamen Rider Black” series originally broadcast in 1987-’88. The new series will be directed by Shiraishi Kazuya for a summer 2022 start. Toei, says Shirakura, does not expect Shiraishi to turn in a typical tokusatsu show: “Since he’s Shiraishi Kazuya, I expect that it will have the flavor of the sort of films he makes. It will be a new type of superhero show that adults can watch with a straight face. It’s like Christopher Nolan with ‘The Dark Knight’ — he could make a Batman film that way because he’s Christopher Nolan. I’m sure ‘Kamen Rider’ as viewed by Shiraishi will also be something completely different since he’s directing all the episodes.” The show will use CG not possible when “Kamen Rider Black” was first broadcast in the 1980s, but the foundation of the show, says Shirakura, “will be the performances of its human cast.” “We then layer stunts and CG onto the human performances,” he adds. “Shirashi doesn’t want characters who are pure CG creations.

“ ‘Kamen Rider Black’ was an extremely popular TV series not only domestically but also internationally. It was remade by Saban as ‘Masked Rider’ and aired in 1995, but unfortunately it got bad reviews and was a flop. Now we’re getting our payback,” he says with a smile.

One model for the project is the Marvel Universe, which has expanded over a range of platforms over decades.

“Toei takes pride in its live-action, which doesn’t come from manga and doesn’t come from animation,” Shirakura continues. “We want Kamen Rider to be better known by people all over the world using any means necessary, be it Anno’s ‘Shin Kamen Rider’ movie or Shiraishi’s ‘Kamen Rider Black’ or Tsukada’s animation.” Batman better move over — another motor-powered hero will be coming to a screen near you.
    I never really followed Kamen Rider beyond our reporting here. Anyone into this franchise?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shin Japan Heroes Universe

Feb 14, 2022 9:18pm PT
    Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Rider Join Forces in Shin Japan Heroes Universe From Rival Studios and Anno Hideaki

By Mark Schilling

Studio Khara
    Leading Japanese entertainment firms Toho, Toei, Studio Khara and Tsuburaya Productions are joining forces to launch the Shin Japan Heroes Universe, a project modeled on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Shin Japan Heroes brings together such iconic characters as Godzilla, Ultraman and Kamen Rider, as well as the world of anime maestro Anno Hideaki’s Evangelion sci-fi franchise.

Details in Monday’s announcement were scanty, but the project team has revealed an emblem and visual showing all four “heroes” together, as well as a website.

A starting point for the project was “Shin Godzilla” (translation: “New Godzilla”), the 2016 smash hit live-action film that Anno scripted and co-directed. It was followed by last year’s hit anime “Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time,” which was also directed by Anno for his Studio Khara anime house as the fourth and final film in the “Rebuild of Evangelion” film franchise. Released in March of last year by Toho and Toei, it became the highest-earning film of 2021 in Japan, with total box office of $92 million.

Also, slated for release on May 13, 2022 is “Shin Ultraman,” a live-action film based on the iconic Ultraman sci-fi TV show with Anno scripting and producing and his “Shin Godzilla” co-director Higuchi Shinji directing. Toho will distribute. Finally, set for release in March of 2023 is “Shin Kamen Rider,” which Anno is scripting and directing. Toei is the distributor.

A core company behind the project is Tsuburaya, the effects production house that has worked with both Toho (“Godzilla”) and Toei (“Ultraman,” “Kamen Rider”), which are ordinarily fierce rivals at the Japanese box office.

The new project will also encompass merchandize, events and other tie-ins derived from the Shin Japan Heroes Universe concept.
    threads
    Godzilla
    Kamen-Rider
    Ultraman
    Shin Japan Heroes Universe
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

『shin masked rider』 trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There are talks of a US theatrical run, so I'll try to check it out if it happens.

I watched Shin Kamen Rider (2022) in theaters last week. Easily my favorite of the three Shin-Tokusatsu films (with the others being Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman). Homages to both the 1971 TV series and manga kept fans like myself pleased while the ending was a nice twist. I'd watch this again.

Shin Masked Rider

Shin Kamen Rider Arrives on Amazon Prime With New Name
    Shin Kamen Rider is now available on Amazon Prime Video, but it has a new name.

By EVAN VALENTINE - July 21, 2023 02:00 pm EDT

The Shin universe's latest movie, Shin Kamen Rider, had a brief theatrical run in Japan and North America. Luckily, for those who might have missed the new take on the classic hero, the film from director Hideaki Anno is now available to watch on Amazon Prime. However, if you attempt to search for the film under the original title of Shin Kamen Rider, you might find yourself out of luck as the North American home video release is using a new name.

Shin Kamen Rider is listed as "Shin Masked Rider" on Amazon Prime Video, which is a name used for the Sentai hero that has appeared before in North America. In 1995, hot on the heels of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers craze, Fox Kids played a live-action series dubbed Masked Rider that blended new footage with footage from a Japanese sentai series. While Masked Rider might have been a more kid-friendly take on the character, Shin Kamen Rider is anything but.

(Photo: Toho)
    Shin Masked Kamen Rider

The Shin Universe first began with Shin Godzilla, a take on the king of the monsters that was decidedly darker and more terrifying than entries that came before. Following this film, Shin Ultraman had director Hideaki Anno taking on the classic Japanese hero, with Shin Kamen Rider following suit. While there has yet to be a new entry confirmed for the Shin universe, that isn't stopping the new takes on classic characters from releasing some wild merchandise in the meantime. You can watch the latest Shin movie on Amazon Prime Video here.

If you haven't had the opportunity to check out this new approach at the classic Sentai hero, here's Fathom Events' official description for Shin Kamen Rider, "Hongo Takeshi awakens to discover he has been transformed into a grasshopper-hybrid cyborg. Becoming the Masked Rider, he must fight the mysterious evil organization SHOCKER to protect all of mankind. "SHIN KAMEN RIDER" is Anno Hideaki's ode to the legendary Tokusatsu franchise, Japan's biggest hero, and his dearest childhood icon. Go! Go! Let's go!"
    Do we need a Shin-verse thread?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips