Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man fight

PHILBERT Guest

Bruce vs. Won Jack Man

Ok, first off, I don't give a flip who won or who lost this fight. Or if I spelled the name right. All I want to know is if anyone knows where I can find the story of there battle? I heard that in the book by Linda Lee she describes it, but I couldn't find anything in the book (I flipped through it a few times and there is no index). If you know the page/chapter or an online source, please tell. Like I said, I don't care if Bruce won or Won Jack won. I just wanted to read the story of the fight and history of Won Jack Man. Thanks.

PHILBERT

wufupaul Guest

Bruce Lee vs. Wong Jack Man

Just click on the search button on the top of the screen, there have been tons of posts showing both sides.

"Who is your daddy, and what does he do?"-Arnold Schwarzenegger

DragonzRage Guest

From "Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit" (a biography by Bruce Thomas)

Enjoy!

"By reports of onlookers, the fight was anything but smooth, fast, or efficient. After a scrappy exchange Wong turned to run and his entourage tried to step in, but they were intercepted by James Lee. Bruce went after Wong, punching him on the back of the head, but was unable to land a finishing shot.
    As Bruce later told Dan Inosanto,
    'I chased him and, like a fool kept punching his head and back; my fists were already swelling from his hard head. Then I did something I'd never done before: I just put my arm round his neck and knocked him on his ass. I kept whacking him as he lay on the floor-until he gave up. I was so tired I could hardly punch him!'
    Linda found Bruce cooling off on the back porch, looking despondent and anything but satisfied with his victory. Bruce was deeply annoyed that what should have taken a few seconds had taken over three minutes, keaving him winded and facing the fact that he was in less than optimum condition. In public, Bruce admitted to no faults, but in private he was mercilessly self critical."

Wongsifu Guest
    dragon raze congrats on starting the flame war lol
    phil dont listen it didnt happen like that linda lee even admitted in he later interview that bruce looked to be losing the fight

I AM THE OFFICIAL KUNG FU TROLL FROM NOW UNTIL I GET BANNED AHAHAHAHHA...MWAHAHAHAHAH.HEHEHEHE <insert evil laugh here>

DragonzRage Guest
    Wong"sifu",

I never said that this is definitely the way it happened. I wasn't there so I don't know (and I don't care either). Here is his original question since you seem to have A.D.D.-

"All I want to know is if anyone knows where I can find the story of there battle? I heard that in the book by Linda Lee she describes it, but I couldn't find anything in the book (I flipped through it a few times and there is no index). If you know the page/chapter or an online source, please tell."

So I just thought I'd be a friendly fellow forum member and quote an account of the fight for him. So how is that starting a flame war? I don't know if that is the way it really happened. My question is how the hell do you know it wasn't?? Were you there?

Oh, and can you give me an actual cited source I could look at to see where Linda Lee EVER recanted her version of the story and was quoted as saying that Bruce was actually losing the fight? Stop making crap up! I've read Wong's account of the fight on some webpage awhile ago (I don't remember which page it was or I would've included it in my last post). But in my personal opinion, some of what Wong said sounds like BS. For one thing, he said that he refused to use his devastating kicks and certain other tactics because he didn't want to kill Bruce. LOL, gimme a friggin' break!

NorthernShaolin Guest

Go to SF and find out the truth

Dragonzraze,

So one sided...open your mind. To know the truth, go visit Sifu Wong Jack in San Francisco and then decide for yourself. Reading stuff by a family member is always open to opinions and slanted to one side.

Many have visited him and walk away knowing the truth without discussing the fight. Try it and maybe you learn something new before you open your mouth and start flaming others.

DragonzRage Guest
    NorthernShaolin,
    When did I ever flame anyone? All I did was quote one account of the fight. I don't know what really happened and I don't care. But I have certain opinions about it based on my own logic and everything I've heard (not from being "one-sided") and I have a very open mind.

"To know the truth, go visit Sifu Wong Jack in San Francisco..."

"Many have visited him and walk away knowing the truth without discussing the fight"

No offense, but listen to yourself...you seem to sound pretty one-sided to me. So I guess you're saying that considering Linda Lee's account of what happened is unreliable BUT visit Sifu Wong and then you'll know the truth?? Buddy, you and I both don't know the truth and I don't care what you think about Wong Jack Man or Bruce Lee...unless you were there you cannot say what was true and what wasn't.

Some of the other claims Wong's side has made are that the fight actually lasted 20-25 minutes and that the fight was stopped not because there was any real winner but because one of them or both of them were fatigued. Also that it was not an issue about teaching Americans but simply a case of Wong stepping up to defend traditional kung fu after hearing Bruce talk trash about it. All this seems quite plausible to me and maybe it is true. But when Wong starts implying that he could've killed or put Lee down hard any minute if he wanted to (but chose not to), that's when I start smelling something funny. Not that I really care, but from everything I've heard, here is what I personally believe about that fight:
    1) I don't know if Bruce Lee won or not
    2) Both Linda Lee and Wong Jack Man have not told the whole truth
    3) It was a badly fought, sloppy fight and did more to reveal a lack of sufficient skill in both fighters than it did to decide who was better

As for Wong himself, I have no bias towards him in any way. I know that he has a good reputation, although I don't think he's done a lot to indicate how good he really is as a fighter. However, I do respect the fact that several of his students have been good san shou fighters and that they've established a good fighting team in the san shou circuit. This is all my opinion and I'm sticking to it. If you think its a flame, I think you're being overly sensitive to kung fu criticism.

apoweyn Guest
    This is idiotic. DragonzRage provided relevant printed information, without making any claims to its accuracy or to his personal stance on the issue. He just provided the information, even being good enough to cite the source.

For crying out loud, stop trying to accuse him of something.

Stuart B.

rogue Guest
    As Bruce later told Dan Inosanto,
    'I chased him and, like a fool kept punching his head and back; my fists were already swelling from his hard head. Then I did something I'd never done before: I just put my arm round his neck and knocked him on his ass. I kept whacking him as he lay on the floor-until he gave up. I was so tired I could hardly punch him!'

Would it be safe to say that BL knew next to nothing about WC?

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman

[img]http://rongos.com/funny****/Image15.jpg[/img]

PHILBERT Guest

Thanks

Thank you wufupaul
    Thank you DragonzRage
    Thank you Apoweyn

You guys, from what I could tell, have actually read my post originally. I clearly stated I did not give a **** who won or lost the fight. I could care less.

I just wanted to know the story, and DragonzRage actually told me from the book. I actually in my post asked where it was in the book and he was kind enough, very kind, to post the exerpt from the book.

I thank wufupaul for telling me to search for it, I did and found alot of useful information to past flames.

I thank Apoweyn for defending DragonzRage because of how he posted the book's words and cited it.

PHILBERT

DragonzRage Guest
    EXACTLY, Apoweyn! Thank you. I don't blame people for believing in their styles and the teachers who they respect, but some just get too overzealous and sensitive about these issues.

Philbert,
    No problem buddy. I'm sometimes reluctant to post anything about this topic, or anything Bruce related because as you can see, it causes a certain amount of pointless controversy. But I'm glad as long as you got something out of it.

apoweyn Guest
    No worries, fellas.

Stuart B.

azwingchun Guest

Bruce Lee fight

I can't remeber the actual site, though I did read a little different story by Hawkins Cheung. It wasn't as glamorous for Bruce Lee as we've read or heard about. I believe it had said that their were rules where the other guy wasn't allowed to kick. It's been awhile since I read it.

Sharky Guest
    good point rouge. everyone listen to rouge. he is "nice".

Edd

My anus is superiorâ„¢

rogue Guest
    Yo Sharky, is that your picture in your profile? If it is you look "nice" too. :D

Rogue, you're an @ss!! Watchman

Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble. It sounds swell when you write about it, but it's hell when you meet it face to face in a dark and lonely place.
    Louis L'Amour

BTW, did I mention that Rogue was an @ss? Watchman