Thread: Snake Eyes

Hybrid View

Snake Eyes

Ray Park better be in this.

'G.I. Joe' Character Snake Eyes Getting His Own Spinoff Movie (Exclusive)
    Evan Spiliotopoulos, who worked on Disney's live action 'Beauty and the Beast,' is in talks to pen the script.

Courtesy of IDW Publishing

Evan Spiliotopoulos, who worked on Disney's live action 'Beauty and the Beast,' is in talks to pen the script.
    Popular G.I. Joe character Snake Eyes is getting his own movie.

Paramount Pictures has thrown a Joe spinoff movie featuring the commando into development, with Evan Spiliotopoulos, the writer of Beauty and the Beast and The Huntsman: Winter’s War, in talks to pen the script.

Brian Goldner is among those producing the feature based on the Hasbro toyline.

Snake Eyes is the silent ninja commando that first appeared in the 1980s as part of Hasbro and Marvel Comics’ relaunch of the toyline, dubbed G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

The character, who dressed in all black, never revealed his face, and never spoke, stood apart from the rest of the military anti-terrorist group and quickly established himself as the most popular. He had a special relationship with Scarlett, for a while the team’s only female member, and sometimes carried out solo missions with his pet wolf, Timber. His archenemy is Storm Shadow, a ninja who is also his blood brother.

Paramount has made two Joe movies, 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and 2013’s G.I Joe: Retaliation, with acrobatic actor Ray Park playing the lead character in both movies.

The studio and Hasbro have been looking to reboot the franchise and in the last few years has assembled writers rooms to generate movie ideas.

Spiliotopoulos got his start in animation, working on Disney’s straight to animation movies before nabbing big-feature fantasy gigs. The writer is on an upswing and earlier this week came on board to pen the sequel to Netflix’s fantasy cop movie, Bright.
    THREAD
    G. I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Andrew Koji

‘Snake Eyes': Andrew Koji to Play Storm Shadow in ‘GI Joe’ Movie Spinoff (Exclusive)

“Crazy Rich Asians” breakout Henry Golding is set to play Snake Eyes

Umberto Gonzalez | August 23, 2019 @ 9:30 AM
    Last Updated: August 23, 2019 @ 10:28 AM

“Warrior” headliner Andrew Koji has been cast as Storm Shadow in the “G.I. Joe” movie spinoff “Snake Eyes,” multiple individuals with knowledge of the project tell TheWrap exclusively.

“Crazy Rich Asians” breakout Henry Golding is set to play Snake Eyes.

“Snake Eyes,” the third live-action film based on the “G.I. Joe” toy line, will focus on the origins of the fan-favorite character known for his masked face, black commando uniform and ninja training. Robert Schwentke, the director of “Red” and “R.I.P.D.,” is set to direct “Snake Eyes” for Paramount and Allspark Pictures, in association with Skydance. The film will be released on Oct. 16, 2020.

Storm Shadow, like Snake Eyes, was created by Marvel Comics writer-editor Larry Hama. He debuted in 1984 on the pages of Marvel’s “G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero” comic series, before appearing that same year in the second “G.I. Joe” animated miniseries produced by Sunbow Entertainment. As depicted in the comics, Storm Shadow is a Japanese-American special forces soldier and member of the fictional Arashikage ninja clan, who was once friends with Snake Eyes before becoming his bitter enemy. The two eventually end up on opposite sides of the conflict between G.I. Joe and the terrorist organization COBRA.

“Beauty and The Beast” screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the screenplay. The story centers on Snake Eyes’ origins where he tries to become a member of the Arashikage Clan, a ninja clan based in Japan. According to “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra: The Essential Guide,” the Arashikage worked as shadowy assassins for generations, using deception to earn their keep as ninjas, as well as developing a reputation for being able to perform impossible tasks. Known as the Young Master, Storm Shadow studied under his uncles, clan leaders Hard Master and Soft Master. Storm Shadow was poised to continue the family business and inherit stewardship of the clan, but Snake Eyes proved to be an amazingly quick study.

“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” grossed more than $300 million worldwide back in 2009 on a reported production budget of $175 million, not including prints and advertising. The 2013 sequel “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as Road Block grossed $375.7 million on a budget of $155 million. Channing Tatum, who played Duke in the first two films, was killed off early in “Retaliation” after complaining to Howard Stern how much he hated the role. Storm Shadow was previously played Byung-Hun Lee in “The Rise of Cobra” and “Retaliation.”

Andrew Koji is a British actor of mixed Japanese and English heritage and is known for his TV roles in “The Wrong Mans,” “Call the Midwife,” “The Innocents.” Koji plays the lead role of Ah Sahm in HBO/Cinemax action crime series “Warrior.”

Koji is repped by WME, Principal Entertainment, Eamonn Bedford and Myman Greenspan.
    I liked Koji in what little I've seen of Warrior so far.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Henry Golding

Crazy Rich Asians’ Breakout Henry Golding in Talks to Play Snake Eyes in ‘GI Joe’ Movie Spinoff
    The film will be released on Oct. 16, 2020
    Umberto Gonzalez and Beatrice Verhoeven | August 14, 2019 @ 8:45 AM
    Last Updated: August 14, 2019 @ 11:31 AM

Getty Images

“Crazy Rich Asians” breakout star Henry Golding is in talks to play the lead ninja commando Snake Eyes in Paramount’s G.I. Joe spinoff, an individual with knowledge of the project tells TheWrap.

“Snake Eyes,” the third live-action film based on the “G.I. Joe” toy line, will focus on the origins of the fan-favorite character known for his masked face, black commando uniform, and ninja training. Robert Schwentke, the director of “Red” and “R.I.P.D.,” is set to direct “Snake Eyes,” for Paramount, Skydance, and Allspark Pictures. The film will be released on Oct. 16, 2020.

“Beauty and The Beast” screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the screenplay. The story centers on the character’s origins where he tries to become a member of the Arashikage Clan, a ninja clan based in Japan. According to “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra: The Essential Guide,” the Arashikage worked as shadowy assassins for generations, using deception to earn their keep as ninjas, as well as developing a reputation for being able to perform impossible tasks.

“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” grossed more than $300 million worldwide back in 2009 on a reported production budget of $175 million, not including prints and advertising. The 2013 sequel “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” starring The Rock as Road Block grossed $375.7 million on a budget of $155 million. Channing Tatum, who played Duke in the first two films, was killed off early in “Retaliation” after complaining to Howard Stern how much he hated the role.

In the year since “Crazy Rich Asians” was released, Golding has become one of the most in-demand leading men in Hollywood, with a diverse array of roles. Golding will next be seen in Guy Ritchie’s highly anticipated crime comedy “The Gentlemen” starring opposite Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell, and Hugh Grant. Golding plays the volatile gangster “Dry Eye” pitted against McConaughey’s ring leader of a powerful drug trade. STX will release the film on Jan. 24, 2020.

Golding will also re-team with director Paul Feig (following “A Simple Favor”) in the Universal romantic holiday comedy “Last Christmas,” written by Emma Thompson, and starring alongside Emilia Clarke. The film features the music of George Michael and will open on Nov. 8, 2019.

Additionally, Golding will star in “Monsoon,” which written and directed by Hong Khao.

Golding recently launched his own production company, Long House Productions, in a partnership with China’s Starlight Cultural Entertainment Group. Among the projects in development are the action-adventure heist film “The Inheritance,” based on an original story idea by Golding and Alistair Hudson, and the action-thriller “Harrington’s Greatest His.”

Golding is represented by Paradigm, Megan Silverman Management, and Stone Genow.
    Golding was okay in Crazy Rich Asians, but I was kind of hoping he would dodge the Asian martial arts stereotype. Does he even do martial arts?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Iko!

'The Raid' Star Iko Uwais in Talks to Join G.I. Joe Spinoff 'Snake Eyes' (Exclusive)
    SEPTEMBER 06, 2019 1:05PM by Borys Kit

Iko Uwais | Jesse Grant/Getty Images

'Crazy Rich Asians' star Henry Golding is toplining the ninja action movie.

Iko Uwais, the star of the bone-crunching Indonesian action movie The Raid and The Raid 2, is in negotiations to suit up for the G.I. Joe spinoff, Snake Eyes.

Paramount, Skydance and Hasbro’s movie arm AllSpark Pictures are behind the project that has Robert Schwentke directing.

Crazy Rich Asians star Henry Golding is toplining Snake Eyes, playing the titular ninja commando that was a breakout when Hasbro and Marvel Comics relaunched the Joe line in the 1980s.

Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the script for the solo installment, which is said to center on Snake Eyes seeking revenge for his father’s death by joining a ninja clan and in the process finding acceptance.

Andre Koji is already set to play Storm Shadow, a ninja who is both Snake Eyes’ blood bother and archenemy.

Uwais will play Hard Master, Snake Eyes’ tough as nails teacher who is also a skilled sword master.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner are among the producers for the action thriller that shoots in Vancouver and Tokyo this fall.

Since breaking out with the acclaimed Raid films, Uwais has popped up in several high-profile Hollywood movies, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Mark Wahlberg’s Mile 22 among them. He last appeared as the villain in this summer’s Stuber opposite Dave Bautista and Kumail Nanjiani.

Uwais is repped by Gersh, Management 360, Jackoway Austen and manager Ricky Siahaan in Indonesia.
    Just when I was thinking the Wu Assassins buzz was fizzling out, our FALL 2018 becomes relevant again with Snake Eyes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ursula Corbero & Haruka Abe

‘Snake Eyes': Ursula Corbero to Play Baroness in ‘GI Joe’ Movie Spinoff (Exclusive)
    “Crazy Rich Asians” breakout Henry Golding stars in the title role
    Beatrice Verhoeven and Umberto Gonzalez | September 26, 2019 @ 4:30 PM
    Last Updated: September 26, 2019 @ 4:37 PM

“Money Heist” breakout star Úrsula Corberó has closed a deal to play the Baroness in Paramount’s “G.I. Joe” spinoff “Snake Eyes,” an individual with knowledge of the deal exclusively told TheWrap.

“Crazy Rich Asians” breakout Henry Golding is set to play Snake Eyes. “Warrior” headliner Andrew Koji is playing Storm Shadow.

“Snake Eyes,” the third live-action film based on the “G.I. Joe” toy line, will focus on the origins of the fan-favorite character known for his masked face, black commando uniform and ninja training. Robert Schwentke, the director of “Red” and “R.I.P.D.,” is set to direct “Snake Eyes” for Paramount and Allspark Pictures, in association with Skydance. The film will be released on Oct. 16, 2020.

“Beauty and The Beast” screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the screenplay, and Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner are producing. Jeff Waxman is executive producing. Hasbro, and Skydance are co-producing, while MGM is co-financing.

The story centers on Snake Eyes’ origins where he tries to become a member of the Arashikage Clan, a ninja clan based in Japan. According to “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra: The Essential Guide,” the Arashikage worked as shadowy assassins for generations, using deception to earn their keep as ninjas, as well as developing a reputation for being able to perform impossible tasks.

Corberó is best known for her roles in the television series “Fisica o Quimica,” “Isabel,” “La embajada” and “La casa de papel,” which was acquired by Netflix in 2017 and was retitled “Money Heist.” She also starred in films like “Paranormal Xperience 3D,” and “El Arbol de La Sangre.”

She is represented by WME and Garay Talent.

“G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” grossed more than $300 million worldwide back in 2009 on a reported production budget of $175 million, not including prints and advertising. The 2013 sequel “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as Road Block grossed $375.7 million on a budget of $155 million. Channing Tatum, who played Duke in the first two films, was killed off early in “Retaliation” after complaining to Howard Stern how much he hated the role. Storm Shadow was previously played Byung-Hun Lee in “The Rise of Cobra” and “Retaliation.”
    OMG I luv Ursula. La Casa de Papel (Money Heist) is a guilty pleasure and she steals that show as Tokyo.

‘Snake Eyes': Haruka Abe Joins Cast of ‘GI Joe’ Movie Spinoff (Exclusive)
    Abe’s role is being kept under wraps
    Umberto Gonzalez | October 2, 2019 @ 2:29 PM

Haruka Abe has joined the cast of Paramount and Skydance’s “G.I. Joe” spinoff “Snake Eyes,” an individual with knowledge of the deal exclusively tells TheWrap.

Her role is being kept under wraps. “Crazy Rich Asians” breakout Henry Golding is set to play Snake Eyes, “Warrior” headliner Andrew Koji is playing Storm Shadow, and “Money Heist” breakout star Úrsula Corberó has closed a deal to play the Baroness.

“Snake Eyes,” the third live-action film based on the “G.I. Joe” toy line, will focus on the origins of the fan-favorite character known for his masked face, black commando uniform and ninja training. Robert Schwentke, the director of “Red” and “R.I.P.D.,” is set to direct “Snake Eyes” for Paramount and Skydance. The film will be released on Oct. 16, 2020.

“Beauty and The Beast” screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the screenplay, and Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner are producing. Jeff Waxman is executive producing. Hasbro and Skydance are co-producing, while MGM is co-financing.

The story centers on Snake Eyes’ origins where he tries to become a member of the Arashikage Clan, a ninja clan based in Japan. According to “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra: The Essential Guide,” the Arashikage worked as shadowy assassins for generations, using deception to earn their keep as ninjas, as well as developing a reputation for being able to perform impossible tasks.

Haruka can be seen in the film “She’s Just a Shadow,” from writer/director Adam Sherman, and in the upcoming BBC One series “Girl/Haji,” opposite Kelly Macdonald and Justin Long. Prior, she recurred on Channel 4’s “Stath Lets Flats” and Netflix’s “Kiss me First.” Haruka also guest-starred on NBC’s “Emerald City” and can be seen opposite Maisie Williams in the Channel 4 TV movie “Cyberbully.”

She is represented by Thruline Entertainment, Sainou in the U.K. and Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Samara Weaving

OCTOBER 14, 2019 11:00AM PT
    ‘G.I. Joe’ Spinoff ‘Snake Eyes’ Adds ‘Ready or Not’s’ Samara Weaving
    By JUSTIN KROLL
    Film Reporter
    @https://twitter.com/krolljvar

CREDIT: RICHARD SHOTWELL/INVISION/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK

Samara Weaving will join Henry Golding in the “G.I. Joe” spinoff, “Snake Eyes.”

Haruka Abe, Ursula Corbero, Iko Uwais and Andrew Koji have also boarded the Paramount, Skydance and AllSpark movie.

“The Captain” director Robert Schwentke is helming and Brian Goldner is producing. Evan Spiliotopoulos, who wrote “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Huntsman: Winter’s War,” penned the script.

Snake Eyes is a ninja commando who dresses in all black, hides his face and doesn’t speak. He stands out among the military anti-terrorist group and quickly establishes himself as its most popular member. He also has a special relationship with Scarlett (Weaving), the team’s first female member, and sometimes carries out solo missions with his pet wolf, Timber. His blood brother Storm Shadow is also his archenemy.

The pic, based on the Hasbro toy of the same name, marks the third “G.I. Joe” film Paramount has produced in the last decade, with its most recent — starring Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis — bringing in $350 million worldwide.

Weaving just starred in the surprise summer hit “Ready or Not” alongside Adam Brody. The horror pic grossed $52 million on a $6 million budget. She was also recently tapped to star in the new Ryan Murphy series “Hollywood.” She is repped by WME, Shanahan Management and Untitled Entertainment.
    I didn't see Ready or Not. Anyone here see it?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Warrior, Snake Eyes, and What’s Next for Andrew Koji

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Snake Eyes Official Trailer (2021 Movie) – July 23

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tokyo!!!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Snake Eyes NEW Trailer | "Behind The Mask" (2021 Movie) | Henry Golding, G.I. Joe

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Snake Eyes - The Baroness Comic Book Piece

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Snake Eyes | Final Trailer (2021 Movie) | Henry Golding, G.I. Joe

Gene Ching