Thread: Japanese Ramen

Japanese Ramen

Just a short survey for my Uncle's soon to open Japanese restaurant...

Which one of the following is your favorite?

Shio
    Shoyu
    Miso Ramen
    Tonkotsu
    Tsukemen

Honestly, I'm more of a soba guy

But if forced to choose - miso ramen. I ate so much of that in college.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

im not paying 12 dollars for noodles.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You would if that was served with 3 jumbo shrimp sticks in curry with a mound of white jasmine rice. https://www.google.com/search?q=japa...5laKCzCuPMQgM:
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 06-29-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    But if forced to choose - miso ramen. I ate so much of that in college.
    Yeah. Miso ramen is a top favorite!

Ramen Shop - Official US Trailer HD

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

April 4 is National Ramen Day

That's this Thursday.

You’ve been cooking noodles all WRONG – here’s how you actually make them
    YOU might have been cooking them wrong this whole time.
    By Christine Younan / Published 2nd April 2019

YUMMY: Are you cooking noodles wrong? (Pic: GETTY STOCK IMAGE)

Are you one of the 13 million people guilty of the biggest crime against noodles?

According to new data, it found that 84% of Brits have been cooking the Japanese favourite incorrectly.

Ahead of National Ramen Day on April 4 (Thursday), a food expert has revealed how you can make perfect noodles at home.

Bonnie Chung, the founder of Japanese home cooking brand, Miso Tasty, said: “Sticky, mushy, slimy noodles is exactly what we want to avoid when cooking a dish like ramen.”

“Sticky, mushy, slimy noodles is exactly what we want to avoid”

Bonnie Chung
    She added: “Like pasta, noodles should always have that al dente bite – or ‘shikoshiko’ as it’s known in Japan.

“But unlike pasta, instead of going straight from the pan to your bowl, you should immediately rinse them in water to remove any starch, which is what creates that sticky texture.

“From there, you rest your noodles in ice water while you prep your other ingredients.

“While it might sound crazy to put your noodles on ice, it immediately stops them from continuing to cook and turning mushy.

“Then just before you’re ready to serve, simply reheat for 10 seconds in shimmering water.”

TASTY: At least 84% of Brits have been cooking them wrong (Pic: GETTY STOCK IMAGE)

Bonnie’s noodle hacks come off the back of Miso Tasty research, which reveals some of the major blunders Brits are making when cooking Japanese food at home.

The survey also revealed the nation are just as bad at eating noodles.

At least 13% correctly use chopsticks, while only 7% slurp them – as is tradition in Japan.

Instead, 59% of Brits make the classic mistake of attempting to shovel them down with western cutlery, like a spoon, knife or fork.

Further confusion arises when it comes to toppings, with over half (56%) have no idea what ingredients to use when cooking Japanese, and almost a fifth (15%) add cheese, ketchup or mayo to their bowls.

FOOD: An expert has revealed exactly how to make the Japanese favourite (Pic: GETTY STOCK IMAGE)

Bonnie continued: “Noodles are a symbol of life in Japanese culture and eating them is considered a very special experience that should be savoured and enjoyed.

“But a lot of Brits associate them with quick, cheap convenience food and the rise of instant noodles means many people have never actually learnt to cook them well.

“It’s also such a shame that nearly half the population (42%) say they never cook Japanese food from scratch.

“It doesn’t have to be a scary or complicated process – so long as you get your hacks nailed and your routine mastered, amazing Japanese food can be created in your own kitchen.”

How to cook perfect ramen noodles:

1. Down the pan: Always use two pans – one for noodles and the other for everything else. Noodles need your full attention if you want to get them right, so avoid whacking everything in one pan and hoping for the best.

2. Respect your noodles: You should never snap them before putting in the pan. Place into boiling water rather than cold.

3. Silky not starched: If your noodles always end up stuck together, starch is usually always the culprit. Once boiled, rinse them in cold water to remove the starch and avoid the stick.

4. Ice and simple: Shikoshiko noodles have a nice bite – stop yours overcooking and help retain their texture by resting in iced water while you prep your other ingredients.

5. Rapid refresh: Once you’re ready to serve, quickly reheat your iced noodles by dropping them back into shimmering water for 10 seconds.

6. Ramen ratio: Noodles are the main event. Remember the 80:10:10 rule and aim for 80% noodles, 10% vegetables and 10% protein.

7. Build your bowl: Your final dish should come together in the bowl, not the pan. Start with the noodles, then layer your protein and vegetables and top off with a warming broth.
    wait...is this just a brit thing?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but I was recently in Sydney. There is one Japanese restaurant not far from city center. It was so tasty! I use chief what was the secret behind it. He told me they are using the best ingredients and high-quality kitchen equipment. They said that it is better to pay more, but it will be kinda of investment. If someone is interested, they are purchasing kitchen and restaurant equipment from ianspam.com.au. The best ramen I have ever tried!
    Last edited by slink; 04-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.