Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wu Assassins

Just two more tardy memes after this one...

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Final meme for our FALL 2019 issue

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

JuJu

Why Bruce Lee fan and Wu Assassins star JuJu Chan is Hollywood’s next high-kicking martial arts action hero
    Hong Kong-born actress JuJu Chan, who stars in Netflix series Wu Assassins and just wrapped shooting Jiu Jitsu with Nicolas Cage, talks to STYLE about her favourite fight scene and getting in fighting shape
    Bridgette Hall
    Published: 6:05pm, 21 Nov, 2019

Action movie star JuJu Chan has been described as the ‘female Bruce Lee’.

“It’s an honour to be called anything Bruce Lee,” the Hong Kong-born, American actress says with a shy smile.
    It’s not the first time JuJu Chan has been asked what it’s like being called the “female Bruce Lee”. The comparison however is difficult to overlook in the up-and-coming actress, who can perform multiple martial arts styles.
    “Bruce Lee is so iconic, he is the one and only. So for me, being called the female Bruce Lee, I guess it's a motivation for me to do better,” says the 30-year-old.

JuJu Chan plays a female bodyguard in the Netflix series Wu Assassins.

Chan got her passion for martial arts from watching old action films with her dad that she would then try to replicate the moves she saw on screen around the house. After breaking one too many things and her parents wanting her to not get hurt they sent her for her first judo lesson. So that she would have the proper foundation.

After that, mastering one martial arts style turned into several including karate, Chinese kung fu, hung gar, wing chun – and she even taught herself to use the nunchaku. She also picked up taekwondo and Thai boxing and would soon represent Hong Kong on the world stage.

JuJu Chan in a still from the Netflix series Wu Assassins

“I love challenges,” says Chan. And although she initially had dreams of being an Olympic athlete, she went on to study an undergraduate degree in computer science and mathematics and, after realising office work wasn’t for her, she completed a master's degree from the prestigious NYU Tisch School of the Arts.
    With both the acting chops and the ability to perform her own stunts, Chan is poised to be a formidable female action star of the future. In Netflix’s first martial arts drama, Wu Assassins , Chan plays Zan, the triad's lieutenant and main character Uncle Six's right-hand woman. Premiered in August, the show’s first two episodes were directed by Hong Kong director Stephen Fung and the first season has received positive reviews.

JuJu Chan with Nicolas Cage on the set of Jiu Jitsu

“I love making a character my own,” says Chan. For Zan she cut her hair short and dyed it blonde, giving her a fresh take on being a female assassin.
    Apart from Wu Assassins, this year Chan has taken roles in Dutch-produced indie film Hollow Point and Hong Kong crime thriller The Invincible Dragon, directed by Fruit Chan. The newlywed also just wrapped shooting martial arts comic book adaptation Jiu Jitsu with Nicolas Cage in Cypress.
    Watch our full interview with the star, when Chan discusses her favourite fight scene, her dream ensemble to work with and how she gets in fighting shape for a role.
    Produced by Louise Lau
    THREADS
    Jiu Jitsu
    Wu Assassins
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu Movies?

Wu Assassins star says season 2 will be two movies on Netflix
    "They're changing the format."

BY JESS LEE
    05/09/2020

Wu Assassins premiered more than one year ago (in August 2019), but there has been no official word on whether Netflix has renewed or cancelled the series.

During an interview with Digital Spy, Tzi Ma – who played Kai's neighbour Mr Young in the first season – said that there are plans for more Wu Assassins, although it will look a little different.

"They're changing the format," he shared. "I think they're going to do two kind of movies of the week instead of a series."

DANIEL POWER / NETFLIX
    Tzi, currently in Vancouver for The CW's Kung Fu reboot series, added that he won't be returning for these movies before explaining that the idea is that each of the two movies will take place in a different location.

"I can't be a part of it because I'm committed to another series," he said. "But I think that's what they're going to do. They're going to do two movies of the week where Iko [Uwais]'s character moves from Thailand and South Africa. But COVID hit.

"I think they were going to shoot in Thailand for one movie, and then shoot in South Africa for the other."

Digital Spy has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Right now, Tzi can be seen in the live-action Mulan remake as Mulan's father Zhou. The film launched on Disney+ yesterday (September 4).

"I'm relieved that finally the world is going to get an opportunity to see it. It's really, really an amazing piece of work," he said.

"The film is a celebration. A celebration of culture, a celebration of family, a celebration of women's contributions to our world."

Wu Assassins season 1 is available on Netflix.

Mulan is available exclusively to Disney+ subscribers in selected countries. Premier Access to the movie is priced at £19.99 in the UK and $29.99 in the US.
    threads
    Wu-Assassins
    Mulan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fistful of Vengeance

FEBRUARY 26, 2021 7:30am PT by Rick Porter

'Wu Assassins' Follow-Up Movie Set at Netflix

Everett

'Fistful of Vengeance' will feature Iko Uwais and fellow returning cast members Lewis Tan, Lawrence Kao and JuJu Chan Szeto.

Netflix is reuniting the Wu Assassins.

The streamer has greenlit an original movie titled Fistful of Vengeance that will follow Kai Jin (Iko Uwais) and several other original cast members in a new, standalone story. A date for the film hasn't been set.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that beyond Fistful of Vengeance, further continuations of the Wu Assassins story — either more movies or a second season of the series — are still on the table at Netflix.

In addition to Uwais, Lewis Tan, Lawrence Kao and JuJu Chan Szeto will reprise their roles from the series. They'll be joined in the cast by Pearl Thusi (Quantico), Francesca Corney, Jason Tobin (Warrior) and Rhatha Phongam (Only God Forgives).

Fistful of Vengeance will find the Wu Assassins reuniting in Bangkok to avenge the death of one of their own. They soon discover, however, that their new adversary is an ancient threat with otherworldly powers.

Roel Reiné, who helmed two episodes of Wu Assassins, is set to direct Fistful of Vengeance. Series veterans Cameron Litvack, Jessica Chou and Yalun Tu are writing the script. Creators Tony Krantz and John Wirth are producing along with Michael Frislev, Chad Oakes and Uwais.

The movie is set to film in Thailand, with production services by Living Pictures.
    This will work better as a movie. As a TV show, it started strong but then sort of gassed out. That often seems to be the fate of TV shows. It's much tougher to sustain good fight choreo for a whole season. In a movie, you get maybe a half dozen fights if you're lucky. In a TV show, you get that many in 3 eps so if the run is longer, it's so much more wear and tear on your stunt team.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu Assassins

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How Fistful of Vengeance Connects to Wu Assassins

Gene Ching