Thread: Planking

Planking

How is it that we don't have a thread on planking here? Well, we do now. Plank away.

A fitness instructor from Aurora has set 2 world records for planking

George Hood in the plank position at the Indian Boundary YMCA in Downers Grove. He set two world records during event at the facility on June 28, 2018. (George Hood)
    Jessie Spangler
    The Beacon-News

When Aurora native and fitness instructor George Hood got off his platform after breaking two world records for planking Thursday, he was actually relieved to feel pain from head to toe.

Pain meant “everything was firing correctly,” Hood said.

Hood, 60, who currently lives in Naperville, logged in 18 hours, 10 minutes and 10 seconds of total plank time over a 24-hour period, creating a new world record category, and broke the world record for longest plank at 10 hours, 10 minutes and 10 seconds at the Indian Boundary YMCA in Downers Grove.

The ordeal was not just a physical struggle, but a mental one as well. Hood said he started hallucinating during the night, when sleep deprivation started to kick in.

“I was so tired. But my training on the spin bike, even though I went for days on end, my experience with sleep deprivation really facilitated my ability to go through the night and do repeated sets of the plank,” Hood said.

Hood also holds the world record for longest riding time on a stationary bicycle, set at more than 111 hours.

“I was drained physically, and I was extremely hungry,” Hood said about how he felt after the planking ordeal. “My stomach had shrunk. So when we went to have a post-event breakfast to refuel — I never leave half my breakfast on the plate, and ... I did. I just couldn’t eat it all.”

The feat was done to raise money for the Indian Boundary YMCA and YMCA Urban Warriors, a program that pairs up veterans with at-risk youth in Chicago. So far, according to Hood, they’ve raised a couple thousand dollars, but they don’t have exact numbers yet. Hood is still accepting donations to his cause at app.mobilecause.com/form/hgmoEg.

“I just need to inspire one,” Hood said. “One person, one reader, one club member. If I just inspire one to change their life without putting a hand on them, I’ve accomplished my goal.”

jspangler@chicagotribune.com

@jessiespangler3
    Major props to George Hood for achieving this at 60.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

GAY .................................................. .................

But thats okay.

3 x daily 90 secs each time.
    It's a great core exercise.

Chaturanga posture is also acceptable as it is adding chest and shoulders to the core. (when you are at the down point in a push up without touching the floor)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Looks easy but extremely hard when done.

Sit-ups versus Planking

Harvard doctors say this neglected move is a better way to get strong abs than sit-ups
    Erin Brodwin 5h

Shutterstock

Sit-ups aren't the best way to get a strong core, according to physicians at Harvard Medical School.

Not only do they not target all the muscles you need for a six-pack, crunches may also set you up for injury.

Instead, you should be holding yourself in plank pose. Here's how to do it correctly.

Sit-ups are so 2017.

If you're looking to tone your entire core and work your way to six-pack abs, the plank is the one move you should nail, the physicians at Harvard Medical School say. So the next time you get ready to roll out a yoga mat and lie on your back, take the reverse approach and hold yourself on your hands and toes in a pre-push-up position.

Unlike crunches, which target only your abdominal muscles, planks recruit several groups of muscles along your sides, front, and back. And if you want a strong core — especially the kind that would give you six-pack-like definition across your abs — you need to challenge all of these muscles, researchers said in a Harvard Medical School health report called "Core Exercises."

"Sit-ups or crunches strengthen just a few muscle groups," according to Harvard's Healthbeat newsletter, which summarizes the report's takeaways. "Through dynamic patterns of movement, a good core workout helps strengthen the entire set of core muscles you use every day."

Why planks are superior for core strength

Shutterstock

Though sit-ups are a good basic move to help tone your abdominal muscles, planks are less likely to cause injury and are better for building a stronger core.

When you lie down to do a sit-up, your back gets pushed against the floor. When you pull your body up into a crunch, you're also putting strain on a group of muscles called the hip flexors, which run from your thighs to the lumbar vertebrae in your lower back. When they get tight, they can yank on your lower spine, causing pain or discomfort in your lower back.

And just like crunches, planks don't require a single piece of equipment, meaning you can do them virtually anywhere.

How to plank properly

Start out by lying face-down with your legs extended and your elbows bent, directly under your shoulders, with your hands clasped, the folks at Health.com advise. Make sure your feet are hip-width apart while your elbows are shoulder-width apart. Tighten your abs and tuck your toes to elevate your body, keeping your forearms on the ground. Your body should be in a straight line from your head to your heels. To start, hold it for one minute.

As you get stronger, you can gradually build up to maintain the position for longer periods of time. For even more of a challenge, hold yourself on your palms rather than your forearms.
    THREADS:
    Sit up's and Crunchies
    Planking
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

#planklikeRBG

Ginsburg's Fans Will Mark Her 86th Birthday Friday, 'Planking' at SCOTUS
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has said the most important person in her life now is her trainer.
    By Tony Mauro | March 14, 2019 at 02:07 PM

A gathering to celebrate U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s 86th birthday Friday afternoon won’t be an ordinary event.
    Instead, 500 of her enthusiastic followers have decided to follow her lead of physical fitness by dropping to the ground and planking in front of the Supreme Court. More than 2,000 others have expressed interest in participating.

“Plank Like RBG” is the name of the event, and an outfit called The Outrage—dubbed by Washingtonian Magazine as a “resistance retailer”—is organizing it. The event’s Facebook page notes that Ginsburg has said the most important person in her life now is her trainer.
    Reports of other RBG birthday celebrations have popped up online in places including Brooklyn, New York, where a rally is set for Friday to promote the idea of naming Brooklyn’s municipal building after Ginsburg, who was born in the borough in 1933.

As for the celebration outside the Supreme Court, Outrage official Michelle Howell said it will not be a protest as such. “We use joy as an act of resistance,” she said.

Early reports stated that the participants would plank on the marble steps of the Supreme Court, which would make for a compelling photograph. But Howell said that in conversations with court officials, her group was told that no such thing could take place. “We assured them we would not be on the steps. We’ll be on the sidewalk,” Howell said.
    Federal law, Supreme Court regulations and a 1983 Supreme Court decision, taken together, forbid demonstrations on court property that could disrupt the order and decorum of the court.

“It is unlawful to parade, stand, or move in processions or assemblages in the Supreme Court Building or grounds, or to display in the Building and grounds a flag, banner, or device designed or adapted to bring into public notice a party, organization, or movement,” according to the federal law, 40 U.S.C. 1635. Such events are confined to the public sidewalk in front of, but not the property of, the court.

But Mark Goldstone, a Washington lawyer who has defended dozens of protesters arrested on the court plaza or inside the court itself, said that only a “very strained interpretation” of the law would forbid an event like “Plank like RBG.”

The event, as planned, is not a protest, does not disrupt court decorum, and the only message it is conveying is birthday wishes for a Supreme Court justice. As long as the plankers don’t block ingress or egress into or out of the building, Goldstone said Ginsburg’s fans could lawfully plank on the steps. The court steps are no longer used to enter the court.

“The court is taking the awkward position that a celebration of Justice Ginsburg’s life and birthday is non-decorous,” Goldstone said.
    Sorry I missed this. I guess I should do extra planking this week.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New record

Well, Steinfeldt is a bad ass for sure.

Say hello to Andy Steinfeldt, Minnesota's newest world record holder
    He planked for 38 minutes straight on his 71st birthday.
    SHAYMUS MCLAUGHLIN MAR 20, 2019

Sabes Jewish Community Center, Facebook

Andy Steinfeldt turned 71 years old Tuesday.

To celebrate, he headed down to Sabes Jewish Community Center in St. Louis Park with family and friends, set himself on the floor of the gym, and planked.

For 38 straight minutes.

Steinfeldt, according to the center, set a new world record in his age group for longest time doing an abdominal plank.

It might be one of the least impressive things he's done recently.

He beat prostate cancer, endured another surgery after doctors accidentally left a needle in him, survived a blood clot in his leg that required a major operation, pushed through the collapse of his previous company and endured the death of his father and many friends, Lakeshore Weekly News reported last year. He also speaks five languages and qualified for the Senior Games (basketball, long jump, high jump and triple jump).

And now the St. Louis Park High School grad is nearing a Guinness World Record. The previous top time, according to WCCO, was 36 minutes, 58 seconds. KARE 11 reports that Guinness still needs to confirm Steinfeldt's achievement.

But even if they don't, Steinfeldt is clearly a champ. Plus, there's always next year's birthday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dana Glowacka = 4 hours 20 mins

Congrats to Dana!

Plank Record Broken by Woman Who Held It For 4 Hours
    Posted on 2019/06/14

By Mayukh Saha / Truth Theory

Superhuman feats of strength attracted the stone age people to each other. And in our times, while the meaning of fitness, strength and exercises has significantly changed, it is still human nature to gasp at feats of strength and endurance. Some of them are truly awe-inspiring and here we bring to you one such example.

Let’s put it this way- an average human can hold a plank for 5 minutes at a stretch, after which their core would be on fire. Well, fitness blogger Dana Glowacka literally went through a plank for time exceeding 4 hours. Now, that is some core. Right?

By planking for 4 hours and 20 minutes she was able to smash the Womens International Planking Record.

The previous record holder was Maria Kalimera from Cyprus who was able hold a plank fot 3 hours and 31 minutes.

At the First International Plank Training Conference, this woman from Montreal showed everyone what true strength was. To simply elaborate on how tremendous her record is, before her the record was held by a person who planked for 3 hours and 30 minutes, while Dana’s was 4 hours and 20 minutes. So not only did she smash through the old record but she also did it by almost an hour.

Over 5000 people have downloaded our free ebook “Growth Hacking Tips And Rituals For Optimal Living” CLICK HERE to get your free copy now

In a display of sibling affection and support amidst such an adrenaline fuelled environment, this fitness enthusiast’s brother came after a 24 hour trip to simply be with her. He stood by to watch her as she broke the record.

Now that’s some family spirit!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Glowacka's routine

THIS WOMAN SET A WORLD RECORD WITH A 4-HOUR PLANK—HERE’S HER SECRET
    TEHRENE FIRMAN, FEBRUARY 11, 2020

Photo: Stocksy/Jacob Lund

Just a one-minute plank makes my whole body shake, so my jaw dropped to the floor when I heard about a new world record of 4 hours, 19 minutes, and 55 seconds. Dana Glowacka, a vegan athlete, and yogi, makes her world-record plank hold look easy, but she’s the first to admit that it took a lot of dedication and hard work.

“My son found a record plank in the Guinness World Records book and told me I could do it,” she tells me. “We even didn’t know who the person who hold the plank was, but I was ready to plank right away and see how long I could stay strong. My first attempt was four minutes.”

Four minutes to more than four hours? If you’re wondering how she did it, she says the biggest thing is simply starting your day with a plank every morning. “Holding planks in sets is safe and helps develop the mind-body endurance,” she says. “Let’s say you can hold one for two minutes. Start with three sets a day.”

dbg_plankdoyoga

dbg_plankdoyoga's profile picture
    dbg_plankdoyoga
    The Four-Minutes November Plank Challenge Around the World 2019 !
    On November 1st - we're going to plank for 4 minutes a day/ 6 days a week/ 30 days challenge.
    We all have same amount of time "24hrs" and all you need is "4 minutes". I'm going to give you bunch of different variations, time, modifications, with a very short breaks in a yoga poses quick recovery, when you need it, then go back to plank.
    Every morning, I'm gonna share my training plank for the day. It's gonna be on my page and a video "plank training" on my story will play for "24hrs", to let you find time to complete, the 4 minutes a day or more. Those, who already plank for long minutes, you can use it as a warm up, don't rest when we rest, keep going ... the bonus is to get bunch of tips to keep you safe and strong. It's gonna be fun with combo and side planks on, step by step building up that body&mind endurance. Be prepared, to write down your line of the day. I'm with you all on this!❤️ Got a question, write me down in the comments, or send me a message. Plank strong everyone! #plankaroundtheworld with #worldrecordholder #danaglowacka #plankwithme #plankchallenge #30daysnovemberchallenge #powerplank #plankpowerprogression #4minutes #fireyourcore #plankstrong #4minuteplanktraining #plankchallengearoundtheworld
    16w
    You can spread those sets all throughout the day to build up your mental and physical endurance. Glowacka recommends doing your first set in the morning, second before lunch, and third later in the evening:

Set 1: 2 minutes in the morning (can be on your sides)
    Set 2: 2 minutes before lunch (can be on your sides)
    Set 3: 2 minutes before supper or bedtime (aim for a straight and strong plank)

By the time you go to bed, you’ve accumulated six minutes of planking. As you get stronger, you can increase those sets to three minutes, five minutes, and so on. “Playing with sets and numbers is the secret to building up a stronger plank in the most safe way,” she says. Glowacka also says to regularly throw in one longer set—an 8-minute attempt, 10-minute attempt, or something even more challenging—even if your body doesn’t feel ready for it.

By using these tips and building up your strength and endurance, planking will become easier and easier. Before you know it, the time will be flying by—and you’ll have other gym-goers walking by you with dropped jaws, too.

Before you start planking, make sure you’re doing it correctly:
    Couldn't poach the pic of her gram.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

62-year-old man breaks world record with 8-hour plank | GMA

George Hood is a BEAST
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips