In February, I experienced symptoms from a compressed disc in my lower back after shoveling too heavy of a show bank in the back of my garage. Put me out of commission from my Choy Lay Fut practice for 3 months.

After acupuncture and Western physical therapy for 6 weeks got back at it but am starting to experience symptoms again: sore lower back on right side and achy hips, when jumping and doing high impact calisthenics.

Went to a new Eastern medicine doctor for acupuncture, message, electro-stimulus, ultra-sound and chiropractic adjustment. Suggested, "maybe at 52 its's time to quit martial arts and take up golf."

As much as I'm hating to admit it, maybe he is right. He was impressed with my current flexibility, so suggested three "treatments." If my symptoms don't get better by then, "there is nothing he can do."

Am I at the end of my martial arts practice? Can eastern medicine help? Is there another martial art I should switch to that doesn't have as much jumping/stress on the lower back? Wing Chun?

At a crossroads . . . . any advice?