Thread: Kung fu and Diabetes

Kung fu and Diabetes

Does anyone know if kung fu is good for a person with type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Serious replies only, please.

Thank you.

I don't know much about it, but I would imagine they should get advice from a doctor, about general exercise. Kung fu doesn't have any proven health benefits outside standard exercise benefits so that's what you should be asking about.

Some more chi-kung based styles may have different effects: consult a doctor first about exercise, see if they know anything about breathing exercises and specifially chi-kung, and then consult a Chinese doctor.

I do know that hard exercise especially that which damages tissue (bruising, weightlifting etc) will cause GOP and GTP levels in the liver to rise. I had a medical a day after some hard training last time and had to go back again to check after I had a quiet day, because my levels were considered dangerous. The doctor was alarming useless about what I could do to prevent this kind of effect: it's a natural by-product of training hard... but, when I asked if it had any long term detriment he didn't know and when I asked whether there was anything I could do to avoid it he said, 'Get better at MA and you won't get hit so much!' Wag!

My karate teacher had bad Type 1 diabetes (had to inject several timesa day) and it didn't affect him too much except that he had to rest more than most, as in total lying down after exertion on a mat next to the class.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

If it's you and you're still in Japan, God help you! Go to the doctor with a Japanese-speaking friend and ask lots of specific questions! And always get a second/third opinion.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Does anyone know if kung fu is good for a person with type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Serious replies only, please.

Thank you.

Any type of activity will help regulate glucose levels. But you have to pair it with diet.

Not a Dr. but have a brother that is type 2 diabetes. He doesn't follow the diet unfortunately but at least he is keeping up an exercise regiment. Its helping keeping his glucose levels in check so far.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

What about yoga?

Greetings,

There was an article in the Yoga Journal (several years ago) that spoke about the benefits of Yoga vs Type II diabetes. The article indicated positive results to the point where some practitioners did not need to take medication any more.

mickey

Thank you everyone.

I don't have it yet, but Diabetes runs in my family.

I teach a guy who has type 1, it helps to regulate glucose levels as already mentioned, and that along with a proper diet and monitoring of glucose levels are very beneficial.

If you have it though, you need to keep an eye on your glucose level, extraneous workouts can cause it to drop and cause an insulin reaction.

Talking It's Cool

My Sifu has type 1 and has been doing a variety of martial arts for the past 30yrs.

He gets a little winded if he doesn't eat but other than that he's been ok so far.

If you'd like I can ask him to email you and you two can discuss the issue further.

I hope this helps.

WF

Diabetics have extremely high rates of vascular disease, including coronary vascular disease. Someone who has had diabetes for a significant period of time should probably see an MD and have a cardiac evaluation (at least a screening EKG if not a stress echo or stress thallium) prior to beginning a rigorous exercise program.

That being said, exercise of any form is excellent for diabetic patients, improving glucose tolerance, HDL, LDL, and vascular endothelial function, and, in type 2 diabetics potentially greatly attenuating pharmocologic requirements, with some people able to go to diet control alone once they've lost weight and gotten their diet under control.

Aside from the possibilty of hypoglycemic episodes due to the post exercise effect mentioned above (a 'problem' best addressed by recording post exercise blood glucose post exercise as part of a record of daily chem sticks for a few weeks to assess the effects of exercise on the individual, then using that info to modify the meds being prescribed or diet to accomodate), I cannot recommend exercise highly enough to any diabetic patient.

Andrew

there is an assistant instructor at my school who has diabetes. I might've heard of some kung fu exercises that help with it. I read in men's health that eating absolutely no carbs can might cure it.

Ftw!

25/06/2018 Mon 10:30 in Singapore by Vivienne Tay
    MCI’s prequel to anti-diabetes kungfu spot shows a hero rice-ing

The Ministry of Communication and Information has launched a new spot which builds on last year’s viral “Kungfu Fighter, Hidden Sugar” campaign, part of the government’s Let’s Beat Diabetes campaign.

Meant to be a prequel to the spot, the new video spotlights the use of brown rice to help reduce the risk of diabetes and brings back the Guardian of Health. Called “Kungfu Fighter: A Hero Rices”, the spot follows the journey of the protagonist as a disciple-in-training, embarking on her first diabetes-beating mission.

This is through discouraging the consumption of only white rice in diets by defeating the Rice Lord and his sidekicks and emphasising the consumption and benefits of brown rice. The heroine then emerges victorious, reminding viewers to replace one quarter of each rice serving with brown rice.

https://www.facebook.com/gov.sg/vide...6448784703686/

Since its launch earlier this month, the spot has garnered around 331,000 views, 1,300 shares and 1,800 reactions at the time of writing. The campaign also coincides with the recent Dragon Boat Festival, and includes other content elements which showcase simple, easy ways to eat rice dumplings made with brown rice.

The campaign looks to drive home the message that a simple diet change offers Singaporeans additional health benefits such as higher vitamin, mineral, and fibre intake. Agencies working on the campaign include Tribal Worldwide Singapore for creative and PR and Starcom for media buys.

The integrated marketing campaign will be amplified on a range of platforms to reach Singaporeans, such as free-to-air (FTA) television, cinemas, out-of-home (OOH) screens, radio channels and social networking sites, such as Gov.sg’s Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram.

Aside from this 96-second TV commercial, our integrated, multi-media campaign also includes a cooking tutorial video and a blind taste test video, targeting the general population and households. The campaign also includes call-to-action element in this integrated campaign is stronger as promotional activities such as free samplings of brown rice dumplings nudge Singaporeans to take the first step.

“Through storytelling and a good dose of Kungfu moves, the message of how including whole grains in our diet can go a long way in preventing diabetes, has resonated with audiences. We will keep enhancing government communications by being bold and innovative in our approach,” said Karen Tan, senior director of the public communications division at MCI.

“Instead of simply spreading a message, we wanted to ensure Singaporeans are given the right tools to create healthier habits – better yet if we can make them entertaining,” Jeff Cheong, President of Tribal Worldwide Asia, explained.
    facebook videos don't display even though the pull-down menu says that they should.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart