Walter Chaw's article brings up some very thoughtful points, which I agree with.

However, towards the end of it, he seems to be rationalizing, as I've seen a number of Asian-Americans do when it comes to these things, about QT's motive(s) for portraying BL as a fool. When in fact, it's likely nothing more than QT portraying him as a fool, because (just maybe) that's how QT really viewed him.

Sure, BL was arrogant. TBH, the majority of martial arts people I've met since the '70s have been arrogant. What made BL stand out was his outspokenness and his platform of fame. Let's be honest here; genuine humbleness is rare in the martial arts world. And back in BL's day, it was considered doubly shocking that an Asian man would dare be so openly brash and outspoken, when the image of the Asian man was subservient like Hop Sing. Which in many ways hasn't changed much to this day.

I have heard that, as a director, QT is arrogant and egotistical, as many in the creative arts are, and his own personality, mannerisms and quirks are ripe for a spoof.