Thread: Dolemite Is My Name

Dolemite Is My Name

Chris Rock joins Eddie Murphy in 'Dolemite Is My Name' — here are the photos to prove it

Yahoo Movies Nick Schager
    Writer
    July 17, 2018

Dolemite is a blaxploitation classic from 1975 about a kung-fu-adept superhero pimp and nightclub owner. Now, Eddie Murphy is set to give its creator proper due when he headlines Dolemite Is My Name, a biopic about the film’s star Rudy Ray Moore, who passed away in 2008. With a cast that also includes Wesley Snipes and Keegan-Michael Key, the upcoming film from director Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow) and writers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, The People vs. Larry Flynt, American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson) should be one of next year’s most high-profile releases on Netflix, where it’ll exclusively debut. Apparently it’ll also be a period-piece project blessed with the participation of another legendary funnyman: Chris Rock.

Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy on set together. (Photo: Getty Images)

As new set photos seem to reveal, Rock has joined Murphy and Key on the upcoming movie, which will detail Moore’s rise from working at a Hollywood record store, to his development of the Dolemite character at comedy clubs and on albums, to his self-financing of Dolemite, which spawned a series of sequels. In those candid snapshots, Rock is showing off some serious ’70s threads and hair (including a goatee) for his as-yet-unknown part.

Chris Rock spotted on set in a ’70s ensemble. (Photo: Getty Images)

Rock’s co-star Snipes also seems perfectly at home in the ’70s, as evidenced by a tweet, which provided fans with a first glimpse of his retro style.

View image on Twitter

WS

@wesleysnipes
    #Dolemite

8:17 PM - Jul 13, 2018
    521 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Also featuring Mike Epps, Craig Robinson, Tituss Burgess, and Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Dolemite Is My Name is currently in production, but will be released in 2019. Yahoo Entertainment has reached out to Netflix for more information.

THREADS:
    Shaolin Dolemite Collection
    Dolemite Is My Name
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

first look

First Look At Eddie Murphy In Netflix’s Dolemite Is My Name
    Wesley Snipes, Craig Robinson, Mike Epps, Titus Burgess, & Da’Vine Joy Randolph co-star in the film
    by Wilson Morales
    July 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Netflix has released the first images of Eddie Murphy in the upcoming biopic Dolemite Is My Name, directed by Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow). The film will have its World Premiere at the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival.

The film based on the life of Rudy Ray Moore, the comedian well-known for his raunchy, X-rated stand up that he also infused with rapping and rhythm, earning him the nickname Godfather of Rap. Moore also became popular for his creation of the character Dolemite in his stand-up routines that, after five years of performing as the urban hero, he decided to bring him to the big screen with the 1975 movie of the same name.

Written by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Goosebumps), Chris Rock, Wesley Snipes, Craig Robinson, Mike Epps, Titus Burgess, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Keegan-Michael Key, Aleksandar Filimonovic, Tip “T.I.” Harris, Ron Cephas Jones, and Luenell co-star in the film.

Dolemite was such a hit it spawned two official sequels, as well as one unofficial sequel and an appearance in short film Murder Was the Case starring Snoop Dogg, and is credited as one of the most influential characters in the blaxploitation genre.

2019 Toronto International Film Festival is Thu, Sep 5, 2019 – Sun, Sep 15, 2019
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dolemite Is My Name | Official Trailer | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

'Dolemite' Star's Daughter Claims Netflix, Eddie Murphy, Getting Richer While She...

...Is on Welfare

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive fight-focused review

What's your game? READ When F-Bombs Had Punch: DOLEMITE IS MY NAME by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Director Craig Brewer speaks

Netflix's 'Dolemite Is My Name' director shares 2 wacky stories from the making of the original movie that he couldn't fit in
    Jason Guerrasio Oct 27, 2019, 7:15 AM

"Dolemite Is My Name." Associated Press

"Dolemite Is My Name" is filled with wacky moments recounting Rudy Ray Moore's quest to make the blaxploitation classic, "Dolemite," but director Craig Brewer said most of it really happened.
    Brewer told Business Insider that there were even more ridiculous stories from the making of "Dolemite" that he couldn't fit in his movie.
    The director shared two with us.

"Dolemite Is My Name" (available now on Netflix) stars Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore, a comic-musician-entertainer who gained stardom in the mid-1970s when he brought a character he'd been crafting on the night club circuit for years, Dolemite, to the big screen.

Moore's Dolemite alter ego is brash, knows kung-fu (debatable), and has one of the foulest mouths in movie history.

Though the movie, "Dolemite," may be one of the worst-produced feature films ever made, Moore's performance made it a classic from the blaxploitation era. And Moore's profanity-laced insults and rhyming speech in the middle of the movie, called "Signifying Monkey," has gone on to gain popularity with stand-ups, rappers, and other entertainers.

Rudy Ray Moore in "Dolemite." Xenon Pictures

"Dolemite Is My Name" delves into Moore's underdog story and spotlights the lengths he had to go to get his character on the big screen. That included living in a dilapidated hotel that doubled as a shooting location, and spending every dollar he had to make it (made for $100,000, it went on to earn $12 million).

And Brewer insisted that most of the events in "Dolemite Is My Name" really happened.

"The reality is we didn't have enough room in the movie to put it all in," Brewer told Business Insider.

During our interview, Brewer gave us two examples of things that really happened on the set of "Dolemite" that he couldn't fit into his movie:

The “Waterman” who lived at Dunbar Hotel

Netflix

In "Dolemite Is My Name," we watch as Rudy Ray Moore (played by Eddie Murphy) takes the closed-up Dunbar Hotel in Los Angeles and uses it as the nerve center for "Dolemite." It's a production office, wardrobe space, string of sets, and place for Moore to live. And to power the building, he stole the electricity from the building next door.

But Brewer said Moore wasn't the only one living at the Dunbar.

"There was one story about this guy, this Mexican guy, that he let live for free there," Brewer said. "He was known as The Waterman. His job was when they were filming he was bringing water to the cast and crew. But there was no running water at the hotel, so he had to go somewhere, get water, bring it back, put it in cups and give it to the cast and crew. Because of that he got to stay in one of the rooms for free."

Wesley Snipes' performance seems over the top, but the director of "Dolemite" was that outlandish

Netflix

One of the highlights of "Dolemite Is My Name" is the performance by Wesley Snipes as D'Urville Martin. An actor in the 1970s known best for playing Diego the elevator operator in "Rosemary's Baby," Martin met Moore by chance before shooting started. Moore wanted him in "Dolemite" but Martin demurred. Then Moore told him he could direct the movie and that sold it.

But as "Dolemite Is My Name" depicts it, Martin was very unenthusiastic about the project. Realizing he was surrounded by amateurs, he spent his time on set drinking and giving an outlandish performance as the movie's villain, Willie Green.

It may seem Snipes is going overboard with the portrayal of Martin, but Brewer said that's really how he was. And he got confirmation from the cinematographer of "Dolemite" when he visited the set.

"The kung-fu scene where Rudy kicks the guy into the trunk, we filmed at the same house they filmed the scene in 'Dolemite,'" Brewer said. "That day we invited the original director of photography, Nick Josef von Sternberg. He was telling us stories about D'Urville Martin, saying that he would come to set and was so not interested in the movie because he realized there was no money in it that he just stayed drunk. At one point he just laid on the floor, semi-passed out, and just directed from a reclining position."
    Snipes is really good in this. He just about steals the show.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Golden Globe Nominees 2020

I only copied the films we've discussed here.

Winners & Nominees 2020

Best Motion Picture - Drama

NOMINEE
    Joker

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

NOMINEE
    Dolemite Is My Name

NOMINEE
    Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

NOMINEE
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Joker

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

NOMINEE
    Awkwafina
    Farewell, The

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

NOMINEE
    Leonardo DiCaprio

NOMINEE
    Eddie Murphy
    Dolemite Is My Name

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

NOMINEE
    Brad Pitt

Best Director - Motion Picture

NOMINEE
    Bong Joon Ho
    Parasite

NOMINEE
    Todd Phillips
    Joker

NOMINEE
    Quentin Tarantino

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

NOMINEE
    Quentin Tarantino
    Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood

NOMINEE
    Bong Joon Ho, Han Jin Won
    Parasite

Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language

NOMINEE
    Farewell, The
    USA, Lulu Wang

NOMINEE
    Parasite
    South Korea, Bong Joon Ho
    THREADS
    The Golden Globes
    Parasite
    Dolemite is My Name
    Joker
    The Farewell
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

92nd short lists

92ND OSCARS SHORTLISTS

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced shortlists in consideration for the 92nd Academy Awards in nine categories: Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, International Feature Film, Makeup and Hairstyling, Music (Original Score), Music (Original Song), Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film and Visual Effects.

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM
    Ten films will advance to the next round of voting in the International Feature Film category (formerly known as Foreign Language Film) for the 92nd Academy Awards. Ninety-one films were eligible in the category.

Academy members from all branches were invited to participate in the preliminary round. They must have viewed the submitted films theatrically and met a minimum viewing requirement to be eligible to vote in the category. Their seven choices, augmented by three additional selections voted by the Academy’s International Feature Film Award Executive Committee, constitute the shortlist.

In the nominations round, Academy members from all branches are invited to opt-in to participate and must view all 10 shortlisted films in order to cast a ballot.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by country, are:

Czech Republic, “The Painted Bird”
    Estonia, “Truth and Justice”
    France, “Les Misérables”
    Hungary, “Those Who Remained”
    North Macedonia, “Honeyland”
    Poland, “Corpus Christi”
    Russia, “Beanpole”
    Senegal, “Atlantics”
    South Korea, “Parasite”
    Spain, “Pain and Glory”

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    Ten films will advance in the Makeup and Hairstyling category for the 92nd Academy Awards. All members of the Academy’s Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Branch will be invited to view seven-minute excerpts from each of the 10 shortlisted films on Saturday, January 4, 2020. Members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“Bombshell”
    “Dolemite Is My Name”
    “Downton Abbey”
    “Joker”
    “Judy”
    “Little Women”
    “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”
    “1917”
    “Once upon a Time…in Hollywood”
    “Rocketman”

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
    Fifteen scores will advance in the Original Score category for the 92nd Academy Awards. One hundred seventy scores were eligible in the category. Members of the Music Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees.

The scores, listed in alphabetical order by film title, are:

“Avengers: Endgame”
    “Bombshell”
    “The Farewell”
    “Ford v Ferrari”
    “Frozen II”
    “Jojo Rabbit”
    “Joker”
    “The King”
    “Little Women”
    “Marriage Story”
    “Motherless Brooklyn”
    “1917”
    “Pain and Glory”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Us”

DOWNLOAD

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
    Fifteen songs will advance in the Original Song category for the 92nd Academy Awards. Seventy-five songs were eligible in the category. Members of the Music Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees.

The original songs, along with the motion picture in which each song is featured, are listed below in alphabetical order by film title and song title:

“Speechless” from “Aladdin”
    “Letter To My Godfather” from “The Black Godfather”
    “I’m Standing With You” from “Breakthrough”
    “Da Bronx” from “The Bronx USA”
    “Into The Unknown” from “Frozen II”
    “Stand Up” from “Harriet”
    “Catchy Song” from “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part”
    “Never Too Late” from “The Lion King”
    “Spirit” from “The Lion King”
    “Daily Battles” from “Motherless Brooklyn”
    “A Glass of Soju” from “Parasite”
    “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman”
    “High Above The Water” from “Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am”
    “I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from “Toy Story 4”
    “Glasgow” from “Wild Rose”

VISUAL EFFECTS
    Ten films remain in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 92nd Academy Awards. The Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the shortlist. All members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 10-minute excerpts from each of the shortlisted films online or attend satellite bake-off screenings in January 2020. Following the screenings, members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“Alita: Battle Angel”
    “Avengers: Endgame”
    “Captain Marvel”
    “Cats”
    “Gemini Man”
    “The Irishman”
    “The Lion King”
    “1917”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Terminator: Dark Fate”

Nominations voting begins on Thursday, January 2, 2020 and concludes on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.

Nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards will be announced on Monday, January 13, 2020.

The 92nd Oscars® will be held on Sunday, February 9, 2020, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.
    THREADS
    Academy Awards
    Parasite
    Dolemite is My Name
    The Farewell
    Alita
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    brother, you are workin' overtime.

I watched this. I recognized the homage. I liked it. Though, it's not a 'laugh-a-minute' EM thing.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"