Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Aquaman SDCC Trailer Super Friends Animated Version

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In the wake of NYCC

EW has an extended peek, but it's embedded.

Jason Momoa prepares for war in extended Aquaman sneak peek

Duration Time 5:17
    Aquaman
    RELEASE DATE 12/21/18
    Movie Details
    TYPE Movie
    GENRE Action Adventure

DEREK LAWRENCE
    October 05, 2018 at 12:56 PM EDT

A new extended look at Aquaman has it all: Multiple bad guys, pee jokes, Aquaman in the desert, and Nicole Kidman kicking ass.

On Friday, Warner Bros. released five-plus minutes of footage from director James Wan’s upcoming superhero film and it proves that Arthur Curry (Jason Momoa) can thrive in and out of water.

The hero journeys through the Sahara, rooftops, and the sea alongside his fierce companion Mera (Amber Heard), all while dealing with his half-brother/ruler of Atlantis, Orm (Patrick Wilson), and Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II).

“Atlantis has always had a king, now it needs something more,” declares Mera. “But what can be greater than a king?” asks Arthur, to which she responds, “A hero.” The line leads to an epic shot of Aquaman in costume.

One of the film’s producers, Peter Safran, previously hyped the film to EW by saying it has, “got the great action you expect, it’s got a lot of great humor, it works on so many levels … it’s a testament to James’ unique vision. I think it’s an extraordinary step in DC Universe that sets it on the right path.”

Aquaman swims into theaters on Dec. 21. Watch the full extended sneak peek above.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Amber Heard

Sword Hottie

Amber Heard Was Sold on 'Aquaman' at the Empowering Chance to Wield a 'Sword and a Crown' (Exclusive)
    By Meredith B. Kile* 9:34 PM PDT, October 31, 2018

Amber Heard is the first to admit that she never thought she'd be starring in a comic book movie. But when the opportunity arose to play warrior royalty in the upcoming Aquaman film, she was ready to wield her power.

"They had me at sword and a crown," Heard recently told ET's Ash Crossan at the premiere of her latest film, London Fields. "[Executive producer] Zack Snyder and I spoke on the phone and I didn't really think a comic book [film] would be something that would be appropriate for me. I didn't really... knowing nothing about the comic book world, knowing nothing about the universe, I didn't really have any reason to feel like that would resonate with my sensibilities or my core principals."

"I had a limited experience, limited exposure to women in that world and then... he explained this badass, kickass warrior queen to me and I thought, again, sword and a crown? OK!"

In the film directed by James Wan, Heard stars opposite Jason Momoa's titular hero as Mera, the daughter of King Nereus (Dolph Lundgren), who has been groomed her entire life to be the queen of Atlantis. However, her best-laid plans take an unexpected turn when she joins Aquaman in his quest to keep peace between the seven seas and the surface world. For Heard, the opportunity to play a heroic character in her right, rather than a damsel in distress, was the empowering selling point to step outside her comfort zone in the DC Comics story.

"I remember the first scene I read in this comic and Mera and Aquaman... had just saved a town from some aquatic disaster, hurricane, or something of that effect, and as the townspeople or the civilians are picking up pieces of their life they look and they say, 'That's Aquaman!' and they look to Mera and they're like, 'Who are you? Is that Aquawoman?' And she stops what she's doing and she says, 'I'm not Aquawoman. I have my own name. My name is Mera.' and I was like, 'I can get behind that woman!'"

The central conflicts of Aquaman stem heavily from the equilibrium between Arthur Curry's humanity and his superhuman destiny, and for Heard, Mera is an essential part of that balance.

"It's a very special dynamic, and one that does not put the burden of dependency on one or the other," she said of the on-screen relationship between hero and heroine. "I like that as a woman, I'm not relegated into a position of dependency or subservience. I love that she is self-possessed and in control of her own destiny. She's powerful, she's nuanced. She has her own attitudes and her own problems and they counter that of his."

"Specifically speaking to their dynamic, where one is strong, the other is weak and vice versa. They come from two different worlds, quite literally, he comes from land, she comes from Atlantis... and in doing so you create a dynamic that's fair, it's balanced, it's equal. They are both providing for one another that which they didn't [have] before."

As for her future in the DC Cinematic Universe, the actress said she's excited for the opportunity to possibly star alongside Wonder Woman and more female heroes from the comic canon. "There's so much room for all of the badass, kickass, never-before-seen and undiscovered... We're just talking about two superheroes that happen to be women, that means there's so much room for so many more characters," she noted. "There's definitely a demand for it. So we just need to keep yelling for it."

Heard, with 'Wonder Woman' director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot, at San Diego Comic-Con in July.
    Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images

"There's a lot of room for shared time. Shared screen. Shared pages with so many versions of kickass females out there. It's about time we have more."

While the actress concedes that she's noticed some behind-the-scenes changes since the push for gender equality in Hollywood gained hashtag-level visibility in recent years, she is unwaveringly passionate about the fact that equal-opportunity screen time is still "severely limited for women."

"We make up over half the population -- over half the ticket purchasing decisions, over half the movie-going population. Yet we're represented in 30 percent of the speaking or named roles? Come on. We make up half the population that are auditioning for these parts and yet we speak one-third of the time? It's ridiculous," Heard scoffed. "We're paid less. We're represented poorly. We are represented a fraction of the amount time and that's just assuming that we are represented at all -- and that's the win and that is not the win."

"I feel lucky to be working, but I will keep fighting tooth and nail for chances to flesh out more opportunities to express various parts of the female experience... We have a long way to go. We have a lot to do."

Heard noted that the struggles women face in the workplace are universal. Actresses, in particular, have a tendency to be pigeonholed and diminished in a way that rarely seems to befall their male counterparts.

"I have been forced into a marketplace where I am in a time constraint that is half that of a man's. I get paid a fraction of his salary for more work in terms of hours and in terms of sweat equity," she explained. "I wish I had more ability to stand in front of you today and say, 'Yeah I have a wide, varied [filmography], my resume is a broad spectrum of different characters.' But that's not really true. I've done the best with what I could in a system that is so behind and so broken and so misogynistic and limited. I am happy to be one of the few women who are pounding their fists against the glass walls and ceilings which we have been kept underneath far too long."

Progress, Heard believes, lies in "changing the way we're having these conversations."

"You're asking me these questions, when four years ago you might not be inclined to ask me in such a way. We care about my answer slightly more and in a different way than we did four, five years ago. So that's where the change is. The result of revolution is like that of protest and demonstrations. It's not meant to be overnight. It's not in policy change. It's in the conversation change, it's in attitude change. We're not going to change any policies or any practices unless we change the attitudes by which we approach these subjects."

See Heard take on her heroic new role in Aquaman, out Dec. 14. London Fields is in theaters now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Aquaman - Final Trailer - Experience it in IMAX®

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Patrick Wilson Beefed Up For 'Aquaman'

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

China got this first

...and they like it.

China Box Office: 'Aquaman' Makes $25M Opening-Day Splash
    2:29 AM PST 12/7/2018 by Patrick Brzeski

Jasin Boland/Warner Bros.
    'Aquaman'

The Jason Momoa-starring superhero title set an opening-day record for Warner Bros., with effusive word of mouth across China suggesting growing momentum.

Warner Bros.’ DC superhero tentpole Aquaman made major waves on its opening day in China, the first important market where the film is released.

With a 86 percent share of the total market Friday, early data provided by the studio showed a RMB 169.5 million ($24.6 million) haul from approximately 30,500 screens, making it the biggest opening-day ever for a Warner title in China and the biggest-ever December opening day overall.

The film is also earning rave local reviews, scoring 8.4/10 from reviews aggregator Douban and 9.5/10 from leading ticketing app Maoyan, some of the highest scores of the year for a Hollywood film.

The buzz and big start both augur for a huge opening-weekend haul for the high-stakes superhero movie.

Warner Bros. decided to unfurl Aquaman first in China, followed by additional foreign markets next week, to get a jump on a crowded pack of year-end holiday films, including Mary Poppins Returns and the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee. Aquaman is set to debut in North America on Dec. 21, the beginning of the lucrative year-end holiday corridor.

Directed by James Wan and starring Jason Momoa in the titular role, Aquaman looks set to exceed earlier local estimates of a $60 million debut weekend at the Chinese box office, which would be the biggest start to date for a DC title in the territory.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Trident Throwing with Jason Momoa

I recognize those tridents and they aren't from Atlantis...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Atlantis At Last! READ AQUAMAN: DC’s most MARVELous movie by Patrick Lugo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Good Bang for the Buck!

Just saw Aquaman on Christmas day. Usually its the new Star Wars but that's next year so it was either this or Bumble Bee. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It's like a hip underwater superman on steroids packaged in an all you can eat CGI buffet of action, color and imagery. Good value for the money and a love story with a happy ending for the female contingent that may be with you in the theatre. As a "Kung Fu Guy" this is a feel-good movie and mentally empowering knowing you as a martial artist can actually do some of the things you saw in the fight scenes. At least that's how I feel when I walk out of any superhero action movie.

As a footnote, if you're a fan of Jason Momoa, google him on "The Graham Norton show" BBC America. His show is the best platform to see any celebrity you like for that matter. Especially when they start drinking.
    Buy the best and cry once!

$1b

Ryan General·January 14, 2019·12 min read
    James Wan Makes History as ‘Aquaman’ Earns More than $1 Billion Worldwide

“Aquaman” passed the $1 billion mark on Saturday, making director James Wan the second filmmaker, alongside James Cameron, to helm two $1 billion-plus grossers for two different studios.

Wan’s first billion-dollar hit was Universal’s “Furious 7” which grossed $1.5 billion in the global box office in 2015.

“Aquaman” is the first DCEU film and the third DC comic book movie adaptation to reach $1 billion in ticket sales. Among the Warner Bros’ cinematic universe films, only “Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice” and “Wonder Woman” came close with $873.6 million and $821.8 million respectively.

Aquaman’s worldwide earnings currently stand at a whopping $1.02 billion, including $288 million domestically and $742 million internationally. The film is expected to soon overtake “The Dark Knight Rises,” which earned $1.084 billion in 2012 as the biggest DC superhero film of all time. Meanwhile, “The Dark Knight” also exceeded the billion mark in 2008 by taking in $1.004 billion.

Wan’s film now also ranks as the eighth-highest grossing live-action superhero movie ever made, just behind the three Avengers films, “Black Panther,” “Iron Man 3,” “Captain America: Civil War,” and “The Dark Knight Rises.”

The impressive box office numbers also put James Wan in the group of only eight directors (with the Russo brothers counted as a singular unit) to have two movies raking in over $1 billion. The elite group includes Chris Nolan (for “Dark Knight” and “Dark Knight Rises”), Michael Bay (for Transformers 3 and Transformers 4), Peter Jackson (for “Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”), Joss Whedon (for “Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron”), Pierre Coffin (for “Minions” and “Despicable Me 3”), the Russo Bros. (for “Captain America: Civil War,” “Avengers: Infinity War”) and James Cameron (for “Titanic” and “Avatar”).

Wan, who first gained global popularity for his work on multiple horror hits (Saw, Insidious, The Conjuring), took to Twitter to express his thanks to those who helped him make the film possible and the fans who supported it.

James Wan

@creepypuppet
    A few things to say...

Firstly, this movie wouldn’t be what it is without the astonishing achievement of everyone involved, from the head of departments to every single crew member, who demanded upmost excellence in helping design and create this cinematic experience.

1:32 PM - Jan 13, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    1,642 people are talking about this
    Secondly, I’ll forever be indebted to Jason for turning Aquaman into one of the coolest, cinematic superheroes ever, and becoming the gold standard for this character for generations to come.

— James Wan (@creepypuppet) January 13, 2019
    There were a lot more reposted tweets in this NextShark article but I didn't bother copying them over.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Biggest DC...for now

Who'd a thunk Aquaman could best Batman & Wonder Woman?

Sorry, Christopher Nolan: Aquaman is now DC's biggest movie of all time
    Britt Hayes
    Today 11:54am Filed to: FILM

Image: Brook Mitchell (Getty Images)

It’s usually not very surprising when a superhero blockbuster pulls major bank, but in the case of Aquaman, it might come as a bit of a shock to learn that Jason Momoa’s wet and wild undersea adventure has become the highest-grossing DC movie of all time. Per Box Office Mojo, Warner Bros.’ latest solo superhero flick–in which Willem Dafoe rockin’ a man bun is not the weirdest thing on screen–has grossed over $1 billion worldwide. Not only has Aquaman now made more money than Wonder Woman, but it’s also topped Christopher Nolan’s sacred Dark Knight trilogy.

According to the latest box office report, the James Wan-directed Aquaman has now grossed $1.09 billion worldwide, just edging out Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises, which grossed $1.08 billion in 2012. That’s pretty impressive for a movie in which an octopus plays the drums and Nicole Kidman wields a trident (actually, come to think of it, this might not be that surprising after all). By comparison, Wonder Woman made $821 million, and Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice pulled in $873.6 million. While Warner Bros. is obviously eager to get an Aquaman sequel in development, Deadline recently reported that Wan is waiting for the right script to come in before he commits to directing another installment. And he’s in a good position to negotiate: Thanks to Aquaman’s box office haul, Wan is now the first filmmaker to have directed two billion-dollar blockbusters for two different studio franchises (the other being Furious 7 for Universal).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Trench

We'll split this into its own indie thread when it develops a little more.

It's so ironic that Aquaman has become DC's champion.

FEBRUARY 08, 2019 1:40pm PT by Borys Kit
    'Aquaman' Spinoff 'The Trench' in the Works (Exclusive)

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
    The Trench in 'Aquaman'

Better bring a life vest.

With Aquaman being a billion-dollar hit, it’s no surprise that Warner Bros. wants more waterworks from its DC Comics hero.

But while any discussions of a direct sequel have not engaged on any sort of serious level by the studio, director James Wan or star Jason Momoa, with all the players seemingly intent on taking a breather and their time, there is talk of a spinoff.

Warners has hired newbie scribes Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald to pen a horror-tinged script centered on the Trench, the deadly amphibious creatures seen attacking the hero and his love, Mera, in Aquaman.

Wan and Peter Safran will produce the project, titled The Trench, which would be much more modestly budgeted than the normal DC superhero tentpole.

The Trench creatures are rather recent arrivals to the Aquaman lore, having been introduced in the comics only in 2011 when DC did a revamp of its entire publishing line. They are revealed to be part of the kingdom of Atlantis but when it sunk, inhabitants who were cut off from other survivors and evolved into ravenous monsters.

Details of the take are being kept submerged but it will be set in the kingdom of the Trench and will not feature the main cast of Aquaman.

Gardner and Fitzgerald were assistants at Bad Robot, JJ Abrams’ production shingle, during the filmmaker’s Super 8 period. They previously wrote a submarine thriller titled The Volos.

The duo is repped by WME.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Might as well start an Aquaman 2 thread, split off from the Aquaman thread.

FEBRUARY 27, 2019 9:55am PT by Aaron Couch, Pamela McClintock
    'Aquaman 2' Sets December 2022 Release Date

Warner Bros. Pictures
    'Aquaman'

The first 'Aquaman' grossed north of $1.3 billion globally.

Aquaman 2 has booked a date to swim back into theaters.

Warner Bros. announced Wednesday that the sequel will open on Dec. 16, 2022. So far, no other movie has claimed the far-off date.

Aquaman, directed by James Wan, has grossed more than $1.14 billion at the worldwide box office in a superhero-like win for DC and Warners.

Star Jason Momoa is expected to return in the title role for Aquaman 2. David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, who co-wrote the first film, is officially on board for the sequel.

Wan is making a deal to return as producer, as is Peter Safran. It is unclear at this stage whether Wan will helm Aquaman 2. Wan and Safran also developing a spinoff focused on The Trench, in what will be a horror-tinged project about the deadly amphibious creatures who attacked Aquaman and Mera (Amber Heard) in the film.

Warner Bros. has a full roster of DC films in on the calendar. Shazam! opens April 5, followed by Joker on Oct. 4. Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) opens On Feb. 7, 2020 with Wonder Woman 1984 following on June 6, 2020. There are three DC films on the schedule for 2021: DC Super Pets (May 21, 2021), The Batman (June 25, 2021) and The Suicide Squad (Aug. 6, 2021).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jason Momoa

I would've expected more fish in his diet.

Jason Momoa’s Aquaman Diet and Workout Plan
    JACOB OSBORN, 23 JUN 2019

If you want to be as ripped as a DC superhero, the Jason Momoa Aquaman diet and workout plan is one way to do it. Like so many other muscle-bound stars, Momoa adopted a consistent diet and workout routine in preparation for the iconic role. And as anyone who’s seen the movie can attest, all those bodybuilding exercises and ab workouts definitely paid off.

Meanwhile, those who think Jason Momoa is one of those all-fitness, all-the-time kind of guys would be slightly mistaken. Even when he was baring his ripped physique in shows like Game of Thrones and Baywatch Hawaii or movies like Justice League, the actor allegedly took a casual approach to diet, in particular.

However, that all changed when it came to Aquaman, which saw him adopting a much stricter training and diet routine. On the other hand, he did reportedly make room for a daily pint of Guinness beer, also known as his favourite beverage. Then production wrapped and he loaded up on bread and beer like it was nobody’s business. We’re not talking cheat days here, more like cheat months.

Spoiler alert: if you want to look like Jason Momoa, you can’t binge out on carbs the way he does when not training for a role. After all, most of us aren’t born with the Hawaiian actor’s genetic disposition. That means you’ll have to stick with the Jason Momoa Aquaman diet and workout plan for a decent stretch of time if you want it to pay off, going light on cheat days or avoiding them altogether (at least at first).

So are you up to the task? Let’s find out.

Jason Momoa Aquaman Diet

We have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that drinking Guinness beer was indeed part of Jason Momoa’s Aquaman diet plan. The bad news is that the occasional glass of beer was pretty much the only vice he allowed himself while training for the role. For some more bad news, we don’t suggest drinking beer when trying to whip yourself into shape. Sure, one could argue that it builds mass or takes the edge off. Heck, there are reports that it can even be beneficial to your heart. But at the end of the day, it’s beer.

Otherwise, the actor took a more traditional route when building mass and then turning that mass into muscle. First and foremost, he cut all the processed carbs and junk foods out of his diet. You should likewise be prepared to say goodbye to Doritos, donuts, and anything else of that variety. In its place, you should be doing what he did by loading up on veggies and proteins.

At the end of the day, the Jason Momoa Aquaman diet plan boils down to the three things that his personal trainer, Stuart Walton, values the most: nutrition, balance, and enjoyment. To that end, Walton didn’t force a new diet upon the actor as much as he did concentrate on the healthier foods Momoa already enjoyed. Walton furthermore employed a macronutrient intake method, which builds muscle without adding fat by monitoring the ratios between carbs, fats, and proteins.

Here’s a breakdown of the Jason Momoa diet plan:

Veggies – As any health expert can tell you, there’s no such thing as too much cauliflower or too many leafy greens. Do like Momoa does (while training) and eat your veggies!

Fruit – According to Walton, the “Aquaman” actor would eat fruits either before a workout or before a long day of shooting for a healthy boost of energy.

Guinness Beer – Momoa loves this stuff so much that he refused to go without his daily pint. Whether you should do the same is a question only you can answer.

Peanut Butter – All-natural peanut butter is tasty, cholesterol-free, low in sodium, and a good source of heart-healthy fat. Just avoid the varieties that come loaded with extra sugar and you’re good.

Honey Sandwiches – Momoa ate these before workouts. We’re not saying you should do the same, but if you do, go extra hard in the gym. We’ll just assume he was eating them on whole grain bread or something like freshly baked sourdough.

Chicken – There’s nothing we can say about this ubiquitous source of protein that we haven’t said already. Eat it.

Steak – And in today’s bit of shocking news, the six foot four, 234-pound muscle man known as Jason Momoa eats steak. Go figure.

Fish – According to legend, the Hawaii-born actor loves himself some premium-grade sashimi. Aku—also known as skipjack tuna—is said to be a personal favourite.

Supplements – Jason Momoa’s workout supplements included protein powder, mass gainer, and creatine. No muscle-building diet plan is complete without them.

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips