Thread: What's the best martial arts movie?

What's the best martial arts movie?

I have a friend whose husband is a fan of mixed martial arts. She was thinking of a movie night with him but not sure what to watch. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi. This would have been better posted in the 'martial media and popular culture' forum.

That said, it's kinda hard to recommend a martial arts movie for an MMA fan. Can he suspend his disbelief long enough to enjoy a movie, or does he demand everything to be (technically and strategically) exactly like the sport in real life in the cage? Because what is effective in real life (sport or street) is NOT always exciting to watch in the context of a movie.

Fight scene-wise, I would recommend Flash Point (2007) starring Donnie Yen. He plays a cop who is trained in MMA/BJJ/Judo. I don't think it's 'the best' martial arts movie, but it has solid fight choreography that is MMA-related, if not exactly like the sport. But story-wise, it's a cop and gangster movie. At the risk of spoiling it for you, here is the final one-on-one fight scene:

Last edited by Jimbo; 07-27-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi. This would have been better posted in the 'martial media and popular culture' forum.

That said, it's kinda hard to recommend a martial arts movie for an MMA fan. Can he suspend his disbelief long enough to enjoy a movie, or does he demand everything to be (technically and strategically) exactly like the sport in real life in the cage? Because what is effective in real life (sport or street) is NOT always exciting to watch in the context of a movie.

Fight scene-wise, I would recommend Flash Point (2007) starring Donnie Yen. He plays a cop who is trained in MMA/BJJ/Judo. I don't think it's 'the best' martial arts movie, but it has solid fight choreography that is MMA-related, if not exactly like the sport. But story-wise, it's a cop and gangster movie. At the risk of spoiling it for you, here is the final one-on-one fight scene:

Wow. Thanks for this. Apologies, I haven't talked to my friend but I'll recommend this. Anyhow, her boyfriend is a great guy. He just have this rather alarming violent trait when upset. Do you think it's related to his interest in MMA or I am totally wrong?

moved.

Quote Originally Posted by highlypotion View Post
    Apologies,
    No worries. Threads are easily moved. There are several recommendation threads on this subforum. I thought we even had one that referenced MMA movies specifically, but I'm not sure how to search for that because you need at least 4 letters to search titles and MMA is one short.

He just have this rather alarming violent trait when upset. Do you think it's related to his interest in MMA or I am totally wrong?
    I don't think you can lay the blame on MMA. It's the most full-contact sport out there now so naturally it attracts violent practitioners, but I know plenty of practitioners who are peaceful warriors. It's the same with how so many terrorists have some martial arts in their background. I mean when it gets right down to it, all martial artists like to fight on some level. Otherwise we'd take up crochet instead.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wow. Thanks for this. Apologies, I haven't talked to my friend but I'll recommend this. Anyhow, her boyfriend is a great guy. He just have this rather alarming violent trait when upset. Do you think it's related to his interest in MMA or I am totally wrong?
    If he's alarmingly violent when upset as you describe, it's not MMA, but an explosive temper with lack of impulse control. Hopefully, this violence is not directed at people or animals when he blows his top. Because if it is, it's not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If he's alarmingly violent when upset as you describe, it's not MMA, but an explosive temper with lack of impulse control. Hopefully, this violence is not directed at people or animals when he blows his top. Because if it is, it's not a good sign.
    That's what's actually bothering me. He had laid hands on my friend once or twice but was apologetic the next day, the usual I guess. But I haven't heard it ever happening again, so he's changed? Was just really concerned about my friend as we go way back, but she doesn't listen to me this time. I might be wrong, but I don't know, I just worry. Anyhow, I've been reading a lot lately from this site ReGain. They are very useful for relationships and all. Thought I would share. Thanks for responding to my query by the way.