Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where in the world is Fan Bingbing?

broken engagement

If Fan is rebounding, I'm easy to find.

Chinese Star Fan Bingbing Calls Off Engagement After Tax Scandal
    10:10 PM PDT 6/27/2019 by Patrick Brzeski

George Pimentel/WireImage
    Fan Bingbing

The actress shared the news of her split from actor Li Chen in a social media post, writing, "In one's lifetime, there are many goodbyes...."
    Fan Bingbing, China's highest-paid actress who mysteriously went missing last year amid a tax scandal, has split from her fiance, actor Li Chen.

Fan announced her breakup with Li late Thursday in a short message posted to her official page on Weibo, China's popular Twitter-like service.

"In one's lifetime, there are many goodbyes," she said. "Thank you for everything you have given me — the support and love — along the way. Thank you for your care and love in the future."

She added, "We will not be an 'us' anymore, but we are still us."

"Fan Bingbing and Li Chen break up" has been the leading trending item on Weibo since Fan went public with the split.

Fan and Li met while working together on the hit Chinese period drama The Empress of China, which aired in 2014. They became engaged in September 2017, after Li, 40, proposed to Fan at her birthday party.

Fan, 37, has been one of China's most recognizable stars for over a decade, and she became familiar to international moviegoers thanks to a role as Blink in the X-Men franchise. As much a fashion icon as an actress, she also was the go-to face for luxury endorsements in China, which helped propel her to the very top of China's list of highest-paid celebrities.

The past year has been epically challenging for the actress though. She made headlines around the world in mid-2018 thanks to a very public tax evasion scandal, which resulted in a months-long disappearance from public view. It later emerged that she had been detained and interrogated by Chinese authorities at a remote location. Fan eventually emerged in October to issue a groveling — seemingly coerced — apology, while also agreeing to pay fines and back taxes allegedly totaling around $100 million.

Fan has seen most of her Chinese film projects put on hold in the wake of her tax problems. It now appears likely that her first attempt at a comeback will come courtesy of Hollywood. In the months prior to her scandal, Fan signed on to star opposite Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Lupita Nyong'o and Penélope Cruz in the spy thriller 355, produced by FilmNation and distributed in the U.S. by Universal. Following her disappearance and public humbling, her role — and the project overall — was thought to be in jeopardy, especially once Chinese studio Huayi Brothers Media stepped back from a $20 million deal for the Middle Kingdom distribution rights to the title.

During Cannes, however, Chinese film finance company Golden Title stepped in to replace Huayi Brothers on 355. The film is scheduled to begin shooting in Paris in early July.

Fan's former fiance, Li, has suffered some career turbulence of his own in recent months. Best known for his appearance in Feng Xiaogang's 2010 blockbuster Aftershock and several popular TV series (Beijing Love Story and The Good Fellas), he was next set to star in Huayi Brothers' war epic The Eight Hundred, which was tipped to become one China's biggest hits of the summer. The film's release plans were abruptly scrapped last week under suspected censorship pressure from Beijing.

Li also made his directorial debut in 2017 with the military action film Sky Hunter, which co-starred Fan but disappointed both critically and commercially, earning about $47 million from a production budget of over $30 million.
    THREADS
    Where in the world is Fan Bingbing?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Fan Chengcheng

Who is Fan Chengcheng? New face of Fenty Beauty in China and Fan Bingbing’s little brother
    Recently named the face of Rihanna’s beauty line in Greater China, Fan Chengcheng has earned a string of luxury brand endorsements in the past year
    One of a group of emerging stars dubbed ‘little fresh meat’, the singer and model is among the most in-demand young celebrities in East Asia
    Lauren James
    Published: 5:00pm, 15 Sep, 2019

Fan Chengcheng in a promotional shot for French jewellery brand Fred. The teenager has picked up a number of brand endorsements and accolades in the past 12 months.

Fan Chengcheng, the younger brother of Chinese megastar Fan Bingbing, has described himself as “very happy” to have been named the face of Fenty Beauty in Greater China.
    His affiliation with the company was only announced last week, but the 19-year-old singer and model – a member of pop groups Nex7 and Nine Percent (in which he is known as “Adam”) – has already featured in a video campaign for the brand, founded by pop star Rihanna in 2017.
    A clip released by Fenty Beauty shows Fan waking up, showering, hopping into a car and heading to perform at a nightclub to an audience of women, who are pictured getting ready for the gig with Fenty products. In another video, this time posted on social media app Tik Tok, he demonstrates the brand’s highlighter by flicking it at the camera.
    Fan is following in the footsteps of Naomi Wang Ju – dubbed “China’s Beyoncé” – who was announced as the brand’s first spokesman for China earlier this summer.

𝚔𝚊𝚖𝚒
    @gonrises
    fine i understood m putting my fenty foundation tomorrow u got me fan chengcheng

Embedded video
    8:22 PM - Sep 8, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See 𝚔𝚊𝚖𝚒's other Tweets
    The cruelty-free brand has earned praise for its range of foundation shades and refusal to test on animals; in China it sells products through online retailer Tmall, which ships items from outside the country to circumvent the law that requires all cosmetics sold there to be tested on animals. (Tmall is a unit of Alibaba, which owns the South China Morning Post.)

Fenty is expanding to several Asian markets, including South Korea, where the brand has hinted at a collaboration with K-pop singer Kai.

Fan Chengcheng, the younger brother of actress Fan Bingbing, has enjoyed a rapid rise in China since his appearance on a TV talent show in 2018. Photo: Weibo

“The increasing demand for make-up among young Chinese consumers, a high sensitivity towards social media and a preference for online shopping has pushed Fenty Beauty into the Chinese market,” a spokesman for Fenty Beauty’s Tmall shop told Chinese newspaper Global Times last week.
    Fan, a talented singer and rapper, is showbiz-savvy. In 2018 he was catapulted to fame at the age of 17 after becoming one of the final nine contestants on the hit Chinese television talent show Idol Producer. In November, he wrote the Nine Percent song I’m Here, which sold more than a million copies in its first five minutes of release.
    From then on, he began collecting a string of accolades, which so far have included being honoured as the “most influential fashion male celebrity of the year” at the Sohu Fashion Awards in Beijing.

Fan Chengcheng models a Versace look.

The exposure won him attention from luxury fashion brands Louis Vuitton and Loewe, and he soon found himself tagged by Chinese internet users “little fresh meat” – a term used to describe young, attractive, up-and-coming male celebrities.
    In a market where celebrity endorsement has a big influence on retail sales, Fan and other “little fresh meat” stars, including rapper Kris Wu, found themselves bombarded by brands looking to tap their large social media followings and ability to reach young, mostly female consumers.
    Adding to an already impressive roster of brand signings, Fan was also revealed earlier this year as the first China spokesman for French jewellery retailer Fred, which praised his “talent as a composer” and “enthusiasm towards life”.
    Fan Chengcheng models jewellery by Fred. The French brand announced him as its first China brand spokesman this year.

As the beauty industry shifts towards inclusivity and embraces the gender spectrum in its marketing, Fenty Beauty is one of several brands to actively promote its products to a male audience, posting tutorials aimed at men and selling a “Gentlemen’s Fenty face” kit, which includes foundation and oil-blotting tools.
    Although “little fresh meat” are noted for their feminine features and personalities, the brand does not appear to have lined up Fan to model its products on his own skin. In a promotional image, he is shown brandishing a tube of crimson lipstick, but does not wear any.
    Fans of the singer have flooded Weibo, China’s Twitter, with messages applauding the brand for its newest hire and urging others to buy Fenty Beauty products. “Thank you very much for choosing Fan Chengcheng as the brand spokesperson! A great honour indeed!” one fan wrote. Another posted: “I don’t know why, but I suddenly need to buy buy buy!”

Fan Chengcheng is promoting Fenty Beauty lipstick, but isn’t shown using it himself. Photo: courtesy of Weibo

Fan is 19 years younger than his sister, and his family have long fought off rumours that he is Fan Bingbing’s son, not her brother. The actress has addressed the gossip in interviews, claiming she was the one to convince her mother to keep the child and that they had to pay a fine due to China’s one-child policy.
    Fan Chengcheng’s nascent career seems not to have been affected by his house arrest in 2018, along with his sister, in connection with her tax evasion, a scandal that saw several luxury brands terminate their contracts with her. He is quickly emerging as one of the most in-demand young faces in East Asia.
    Rihanna, through her own newly created Weibo page, heralded the arrival of her brand’s newest spokesman, saying: “Welcome to the Fenty Beauty Global Family!!”
    THREADS
    Where in the world is Fan Bingbing?
    Sissy Men
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Return of Fan

Exclusive | ‘It’s like a restart for me’: Chinese actress Fan Bingbing on relaunching her career in Green Night after tax scandal, and why staying grounded is ‘important’
    Fan was at the Berlin film festival promoting new film Green Night, and revealed ‘the biggest challenge’ was returning to acting after her enforced absence
    The X-Men star also talked about why staying humble helps her perform, how shooting in Hollywood and China is different and her plans for more films in English

James Mottram
    Published: 7:15am, 1 Mar, 2023

Chinese star Fan Bingbing opened up at this year’s Berlin film festival about returning to the screen after a long hiatus following a tax scandal in 2018, and her plans to do more English-language films. Photo: Getty
    In a first-floor corridor of the Grand Hyatt Berlin hotel, Fan Bingbing is applying her own make-up, holding up a small compact mirror and tilting her head backwards as she touches up her mascara.
    Only one room has been assigned for publicity purposes for her new movie Green Night, which has just been unveiled in the Panorama strand of this year’s Berlin International Film Festival. And for the moment, the director of the film, Han Shuai, is doing a TV interview in there.
    Fan, however, doesn’t seem to care about the makeshift nature of her makeover or the fact that, in a minute or so, we’ll be chatting on two stools in the corner of said corridor, as festivalgoers walk past, blithely unaware of who is sitting there.
    A superstar in China following her appearance in films like Cell Phone and I Am Not Madame Bovary, the 41-year-old has already made headway in Hollywood, appearing in films such as X-Men: Days of Future Past and recent all-female action movie The 355.

It’s surprising, then, how low-key she is in person.
    Today she’s wearing a light-pink crochet jumper with tassels, white sneakers and dark jeans bedecked with glitter. It’s a cute outfit, but down to earth. There’s no sign of any expensive designer wear, and she isn’t surrounded by a huge entourage.
    Is she always this grounded? “For me, I really feel it’s important to maintain this sort of life,” she tells the Post in an interview, “because then you can see the details of real people, in real life, and then I can bring those emotions and experiences into acting. So it’s really helpful for me to stay grounded.”
    Her director, back at the festival for the first time since 2020 with her film Summer Blur, explains that this is simply how Fan is. “Actually, she’s very straightforward and frank rather than a ‘star star’,” she says. “She’s very warm with the crew. And she’s a human being rather than an idol.
    “She had a very good relationship with other members in the crew on [the] set [of Green Night].”
    It’s quite cruel on you if you don’t act for five years, because I love performing
    Fan Bingbing
    It is 16 years since Fan was last at the Berlin festival with her 2007 film Lost in Beijing, but the big point here is that the actress is back at all – after a protracted hiatus.
    As most followers of Fan will know (and she has a lot; 3.8 million on Instagram to be precise), it’s been a trying time for the actress.
    In July 2018, she disappeared from public view and social media, sparking rumours that she had fled China, was in jail or under house arrest. Three months later it was revealed that she had been fined for tax evasion. She and her companies were ordered to pay about 880 million yuan (US$129 million) in fines.

Fan in a still from Green Night. Photo: Demei
    She later issued a statement on Chinese microblogging platform Weibo apologising for her actions which read in part: “Without the good policies of the Communist Party and the state, without the people’s love and care, there would be no Fan Bingbing.”
    Whatever happened then, she is ready to put it behind her. Shortly after we meet in Berlin at a press conference for Green Night, a reporter asks her to reflect on that period of her life.
    While the moderator tried to steer it back to the film to help her evade a potentially awkward question, Fan answered with confidence.

Fan (second from left) with co-star Lee Joo-young (left), and director and screenwriter Han Shuai (second from right) at a press conference at this year’s Berlin International Film Festival. Photo: Reuters
    “I was at home, I was dealing with some things. But, you know, everybody’s life has highs and lows. And when you reach a low, you steadily, gradually climb back up again. And it’s a tough process.
    “But you learn a lot of new things at the same time, and you learn a lot about the world, a lot about people. And for me, it was a very good experience in retrospect … and everything’s fine with me now.”
    In some respects, it’s an answer that says very little about the realities behind those lows, although it’s clear how delighted she is to be back.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Acting is something that I’ll probably be doing for my whole life. I’m going to stick at it.
    Fan Bingbing
    In Green Night, the actress plays Jin Xia, a Chinese immigrant living in Korea with an abusive, fundamentalist Christian husband.
    Working as an airport security official, she meets a mysterious green-haired woman (Lee Joo-young from the 2022 Korean hit drama Broker), who is a drug mule. Before long, the two end up on a 24-hour mad dash through Seoul as they make a break for freedom.
    The film has already drawn comparisons to Ridley Scott’s Thelma & Louise for its feminist slant, as two women attempt to find agency in a male-dominated world.
    “She always had this longing in her heart to get out and to be free and do something crazy,” says Fan of her character, “but she just didn’t have that match to set it off. Right? So she was waiting for that moment.
    “And the green-haired girl was that thing that really set her off. So she was able to let go and escape her relationship and her boring job.”

Fan in a still from Green Night. Photo: Demei
    It’s clearly been a rejuvenating experience for Fan, especially given she’s working with a female director, female producer and female co-star.
    “I felt there was a lot of unspoken understanding between us and a type of warmth that we were able to share because we were all female. Not to say anything against men, but just to say that there was this kind of camaraderie between us because we were an all-female team,” she says.
    “Maybe issues that women have, men don’t really understand that well … so we felt that we really got each other.”

Fan (left), with Green Night co-star Lee Joo-young (right) and director and screenwriter Han Shuai at this year’s Berlin International Film Festival. Photo: Reuters
    In the film, the two main characters find solace in each other’s arms in a love scene that might shock some of Fan’s more conservative fans. The men don’t come out of the film well, we put it to the actress. The green-haired girl’s paymaster, for example, is a deaf-mute sadist.
    “We don’t emphasise the badness of the males specifically,” Fan says, “but actually just how the women are together … that warmth between them and that understanding. It helped them rely on each other.”
    Green Night might seem like a rather small project for an actress who, between 2013 and 2017, was ranked the highest-paid person on the Forbes China Celebrity 100 rich list.
    In that time she ran her own company, Fan Bingbing Studio, became an ambassador for designer fashion brands such as Montblanc and De Beers, and launched her own skincare brand, Fan Beauty Secret.
    It’s little wonder Time magazine put her on its 100 Most Influential People list in 2017 (“a woman who knows her own strength,” remarked fashion designer Diane Von Furstenberg. “She is the woman she wants to be”).
    This comeback feels like baby steps for Fan, who is still in the process of rescuing her reputation. As Fan noted at her Berlin press conference, “the biggest challenge was basically that I haven’t acted for five years.”
    By and large it is true she has not acted since the tax issue came to light; she’s obviously discounting The 355 (as one should – it was terrible), which was mostly shot in 2019. Fan said: “It’s quite cruel on you if you don’t act for five years, because I love performing."
    On the surface, easing her way back into Asian cinema via a film that deals with the Chinese-Korean immigrant crossover seems like a smart move.
    Will she choose another English-language project any time soon? “Yes, we’re reviewing some screenplays right now,” she says. “So maybe my English will get better and better.”
    Perhaps she could return as Blink, her X-Men character who was capable of teleportation? Now Disney controls the rights to Marvel’s mutant heroes, there’s every chance they will be rebooted in another movie series.
    “I would definitely love to reprise my role as Blink,” she says. “Her abilities were really cool!”

Fan as Blink in a still from X-Men: Days of Future Past. Photo: 20th Century Fox
    Fan is accustomed to appearing in Chinese epics, such as Chen Kaige’s 2010 historical tale Sacrifice, so did it feel different to be in a blockbuster like X-Men: Days of Future Past?
    “Hollywood is so developed and they really know every single minute what they’re going to do on set and what you have to be doing,” Fan says. “And [they’re] very on track and on top of things. It was different from shooting in China, but I was able to learn a lot from that experience.”
    Her Green Night director feels like this is a different Fan that we’re seeing now, a more seasoned performer. “I think she’s become a more mature and grown-up woman,” Han says.

Fan on the red carpet at the Berlin International Film Festival. Photo: AFP
    Perhaps the humbling experience she faced back in 2018 has changed her. Certainly, the girl in the corridor opposite this writer has no airs and graces about her. She is just happy to be back.
    “It’s like a restart for me,” she says. “Acting is something that I’ll probably be doing for my whole life. I’m going to stick at it.”
    Want more articles like this? Follow SCMP Film on Facebook

James Mottram
    James Mottram is a film critic and journalist based in London. As well as writing for the SCMP for over 10 years, he’s also written a number of books on cinema including The Sundance Kids, The Making of Memento and Die Hard: The Ultimate Visual History.
    Bingbing is back!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fan at the Oscars

Chinese film star Fan Bingbing makes rare appearance at the Oscars
    Fan was ordered to pay US$130 million in taxes and penalties by the Chinese government in 2018 and has largely disappeared from public view
    Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert’s indie hit Anything Everywhere All at Once has 11 nominations, including nods for Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan

Published: 6:40am, 13 Mar, 2023

China’s Fan Bingbing arrives at the Oscars in Los Angeles on Sunday. Photo: AP
    Disgraced Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, who appeared in X-Men films before disappearing amid a tax case in China, is at the Oscars.
    Fan was becoming a crossover star with roles lined up in a Bruce Willis film and appeared in a pair of films based on Marvel Comics characters before she was ordered to pay US$130 million in taxes and penalties by the Chinese government in 2018.
    Before the fine was levied, Fan went dark on social media, her management offices closed and she largely disappeared from public view.
    Fan has had a few recent credits, including the spy thriller The 355, which was released in 2022.
    She has re-emerged this year, appearing at the Berlin Film Festival last month with a new film, Green Night.

Will Smith, right, hits presenter Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars in March last year, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Photo: AP
    Last year’s Oscars ceremony was arguably eclipsed by Will Smith, who strode on stage and slapped Chris Rock in the face over a comment Rock had made about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, in his speech.
    Jimmy Kimmel, the show’s first solo emcee in five years, is hosting for the third time. The late-night comedian has promised to make some jokes about The Slap; it would be “ridiculous” not to, he said.
    Bill Kramer, chief executive of the film academy, has said that it was important, given what happened last year, to have “a host in place who can really pivot and manage those moments.”
    “Nobody got hit when I hosted the show,” Kimmel boasted, tongue in cheek, on Good Morning America on Thursday. “Everybody was well-behaved at my Oscars.”
    Kimmel will preside over a ceremony that could see big wins for the best-picture favourite, Everything Everywhere All at Once. Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert’s action-comedy indie hit comes in with a leading 11 nominations, including nods for Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan.
    Producers are giving some aspects of the Oscars a makeover. The carpet is champagne-coloured, not red. The broadcast has been planned to be more interactive than ever.
    There were surprises before the show even got started. Just days after producers had said Lady Gaga would not be performing her nominated song Hold My Hand from Top Gun: Maverick, a person close to the production with knowledge of the performance confirmed on Sunday afternoon that the pop superstar would perform, after all.
    And presenter Glenn Close told Associated Press that she would no longer present at the show because she had tested positive for Covid-19.
    But the academy, still trying to find its footing after several years of pandemic and ratings struggles, is also hoping for a smoother ride than last year. A crisis management team has been created to help better respond to surprises. The academy has called its response to Smith’s actions last year “inadequate.”

Harry Shum Jnr, whose mother is from Hong Kong and whose father is from Guangzhou, arrives at the Oscars on Sunday at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Shum Jnr plays Chad in Everything Everywhere All at Once. Photo: Invision / AP
    Neither Rock, who recently made his most forceful statement about the incident in a live special, nor Smith, who’s been banned by the academy for 10 years, are expected to attend.
    The Academy Awards will instead attempt to recapture some of its old lustre. One thing working in its favour: This year’s best picture field is stacked with blockbusters. Ratings usually go up when the nominees are more popular, which certainly goes for Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water and, to a lesser extent, Elvis and Everything Everywhere All at Once.
    But the late-breaking contender that may fare well in the technical categories – where bigger films often reign – is Netflix’s top nominee this year: the German WWI epic All Quiet on the Western Front. It is up for nine awards, tied for second most with the Irish dark comedy The Banshees of Inisherin. Netflix’s Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio also looks like a shoo-in for best animated film.
    The awards will also have some star wattage in the musical performances. Fresh off her Super Bowl performance, Rihanna will perform her Oscar-nominated song, Lift Me Up, from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. This Is Life, from Everything Everywhere All at Once will be sung by David Byrne and supporting actress nominee Stephanie Hsu with the band Son Lux. Rahul Sipligunj and Kaala Bhairava will perform Naatu Naatu from the Indian action epic RRR. Lenny Kravitz will perform during the In Memoriam tribute.
    Last year, Apple TV’s CODA became the first streaming film to win best picture. But this year, nine of the 10 best picture nominees were theatrical releases. After the film business cratered during the pandemic, moviegoing recovered to about 67 per cent of pre-pandemic levels. But it was an up and down year, full of smash hits and anxiety-inducing lulls in cinemas.
    At the same time, the rush to streaming encountered new setbacks as studios questioned long-term profitability and re-examined their release strategies. This year, ticket sales have been strong thanks to releases such as Creed III and Cocaine Bear. But there remain storm clouds on the horizon.

Chinese-American veteran actor James Hong, part of the Everything Anywhere All at Once cast, with April Hong at the Oscars in Los Angeles on Sunday. Photo: Invision / AP
    The Writers Guild and the major studios are set to begin contract negotiations March 20, a looming battle that has much of the industry girding for the possibility of a work stoppage throughout film and television.
    The Oscars, meanwhile, are trying to reestablish their position as the premier award show. Last year’s telecast drew 16.6 million viewers, a 58 per cent increase from the scaled-down 2021 edition, watched by a record low 10.5 million.
    Usually, the previous year’s acting winners present the awards for best actor and best actress. But that will not be the case this time. Who will replace Smith in presenting best actress is just one of the questions heading into the ceremony.
    Where-in-the-world-is-Fan-Bingbing
    The-Academy-Awards
    Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips