Thread: Bruce Lee As A fighter

Hybrid View

Bruce Lee As A fighter

How many of you believe Bruce lee was some amazing fighter? It's funny people here in China think he was the best fighter that ever lived literally. I have only seen one video of him sparring for a demo at a competition, and to be honest it didn't look any better than what I was doing like 20 years ago. He was like 130 pounds and five foot six? He didn't have any competitive fighting record other than I think high school boxing, some HK street fights and his one famous two minute fight against another kung fu guy. I think a lot of us here have more fighting experience than that. So what makes him really such great a fighter? As a MA actor yes he deserves all the props in the world ,but how can people still believe he was the best fighter in the world, or even that good of a fighter?

Blog Entries
    ALSO,

WHY do people act like a young kind under 25 years old when the fight happened, was some legendary fighter? they act like wong jack man and bruce lee were living legends. they were a pair of young adults with very little real fight experience. what made this fight so legendary? what made them so deadly? lmao.

when you have ELDERS running chinatowns martial arts community who've put in decades of their lives to training and teaching, why was this young smart mouth KID treated like he was a champion? the same goes for wong jack man.

these were young nobodies. the only reason people loved bruce was because of his movies. but remember, he only died in his early 30's. how MASTERFUL can he be at this age? LMAO.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

It's past 40 years since his death.
    People still talk about him.
    Go figure.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

Bruce Lee's edge was Western Boxing. It gave him an incredible advantage over other MA's in physical conditioning, endurance and timing. There was no binary, "and step", approach. He had continuous combinations when karateka did not. He was a Ferrari in a world of Model Ts. If we jumped the timeline of Bruce Lee's arrival back two decades and had Bruce Lee arriving in the US in 1941, at age 19. when boxing was still a big deal, would Bruce Lee have had the same impact?

I have read that Bruce Lee studied footage of well known boxers of the day. I have yet to read about him going around and challenging them.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-07-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Theoretically boxing gave him an advantage but he wasn’t competing and proving himself so how does he deserve the best fighter in the world title. Writing books ,teaching and making movies doesn't qualify you as a great fighter ,fighting does, and who did he fight? I'm sure at the time of Bruce Lee's movies any decent Thai boxer, wrestler, Kyokushin karate fighter or even boxer his size would have beat him, am I wrong? If you mention Bruce Lee and fighting In China it's like you have to follow with the best fighter in the world. I think this further puts kung fu into the fantasy category. We should respect the man for what he was a great athlete, MA and actor. I'm sure he was no push over but best fighter in the world, not even close by any stretch of the imagination.

He was a celebrity and a movie star.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over such things as his fan base would go on about.
    It's totally normal for people to say these exaggerated things about their favourite stars.
    Common even.
    Kung Fu is good for you.