Thread: Monster Hunter

Monster Hunter

MONSTER HUNTER: Tony Jaa Joins The Milla Jovovich-Led Cast For The Live-Action Game Adaptation
    Screen Gems' MONSTER HUNTER joins Jaa with Milla Jovovich, T.I. Harris and Ron Perlman with cameras set to roll in South Africa next month.
    by Lee B. Golden III September 25, 2018

Thai actor Tony Jaa poses upon arrival to attend the European Premiere of the film “xXx: Return of Xander Cage” in London on January 10, 2017. / AFP / Chris J Ratcliffe – ‘XXX-Return Of Xander Cage’ Premiere – VIP Arrivals

EXCLUSIVE: The last two years saw the quiet development of Monster Hunter from the Resident Evil franchise duo Paul W.S. Anderson and producing partner Jeremy Bolt. The adaptation of the hit 2004 video game IP is now finally taking shape with word that actor and martial artist Tony Jaa will play The Hunter, joining the casting line-up announced earlier this evening at The Hollywood Reporter.

For every Monster, there is a Hero. An ordinary man in a dead end job discovers that he is actually the descendant of an ancient hero. He must travel to a mystical world to train to become a Monster Hunter, before the mythical creatures from that world destroy ours.

As The Hollywood Reporter’s Borys Kit noted on Tuesday evening, actor and recording artist T.I. Harris is joining the cast as Link with famed Hellboy persona Ron Perlman playing Admiral, leader of the Hunters’ crew. The film will also reteam Anderson and Bolt with Resident Evil franchise actress Milla Jovovich who, as of May, will lead the cast as Artemis, and with production kicking off in South Africa next month.

Anderson and Bolt are joined by Robert Kulzer in producing the film for Screen Gems ahead of its U.S. release. Sony Pictures Releasing International will take the film to other territories.

The Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong franchise star’s career took off with great international ceremony beginning in 2015 appearing in films such as Skin Trade and Furious Seven. His progress continued with Soi Cheang’s S.P.L. 2: A Time For Consequence, and in 2017 with Vin Diesel for an ensemble outing in xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage.

Jaa will next be seen in Yuen Woo-Ping’s long-awaited Ip Man spin-off, Master Z: Ip Man Legacy, opposite starring actor Max Zhang with Michelle Yeoh and Dave Bautista also starring.
    Anyone keeping up with Resident Evil? I thought we had the Final Chapter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Admiral

This means nothing to me because I don't play the game. Anyone?

OCTOBER 4, 2018 3:34PM PT
    Capcom Details Upcoming ‘Monster Hunter’ Movie, Will Include Admiral

By BRIAN CRECENTE

CREDIT: CAPCOM

Capcom Thursday confirmed that Paul W.S. Anderson will be directing a movie adaptation of “Monster Hunter” and released updated details about the film’s plot.

The film tells the story of “two heroes who come from different worlds to defeat a shared danger, the powerful, deadly and magnificent monsters that inhabit the land. Along the way, viewers will make new discoveries and encounter familiar faces and beloved characters from the games like the Admiral,” according to Capcom.

“After living and breathing in the universe of Monster Hunter for 14 years we are thrilled with enormous anticipation to see our creations adapted for a theatrical release,” said Monster Hunter Series Producer, Ryozo Tsujimoto “Monster Hunter’s fan base has exploded over the past year with the runaway success of the game ‘Monster Hunter: World.’ It is our hope long-time fans and new alike will join us on this exciting exploration of the Monster Hunter universe.”

Earlier this week, Mexican actor Diego Boneta announced that he is joining Milla Jovovich in the big screen adaptation of the movie.

“Monster Hunter” is set to be produced by Anderson and Jeremy Bolt from Impact Pictures, and by Robert Kulzer and Martin Moszkowicz from Constantin Film. Dennis Berardi, Head of VFX for the film, also acts as producer. The screenplay to “Monster Hunter” was written by Anderson, who also directs the film. Principal photography will start in October, in South Africa and Namibia. Constantin Film will release the movie in German-speaking territories, Tencent Pictures in China and Toho Film in Japan. Sony’s Screen Gems will release the film in the U.S. with the studio’s Sony Pictures Releasing International handling the rest of the world.

The Monster Hunter series is made up of action role-playing games where players work together to take down larger-than-life beasts in a living, breathing ecosystem. Since the first Monster Hunter title made its debut 14 years ago in 2004, the series has attracted a dedicated fan base, and grown into a global mega-hit with “Monster Hunter: World,” the latest title in the series, shipping 10 million units worldwide, with cumulative sales of the series exceeding 49 million units as of Aug. 20.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First look

Sony

Verified account

@Sony
    Follow Follow @Sony
    More
    Your first look at #MonsterHunterMovie 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

9:40 AM - 20 Nov 2018
    Big Bone Sword.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

《Monster Hunter》Movie Teaser Trailer Leaked

this leak might not last long
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Movie Posters!

Name:  monsterhunter1.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  101.9 KBName:  monsterhunter2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  102.6 KB

MONSTER HUNTER - Official Trailer (HD)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What an odd twist

Movie news is so weird lately.

Dec 8, 2020 8:03pm PT
    China Blocks ‘Monster Hunter’ Online Presence Despite Apologies and Scene Deletion

By Rebecca Davis

Photos By: Coco Van Oppens Photography
    Although “Monster Hunter” apologized for and censored a line of dialogue that sparked anger in China from its global version, Chinese film websites and apps have taken the unusual step of deleting the title or its user ratings — indicating that the movie’s odds of returning to the Chinese big screen likely remain slim.

Chinese cinemas began to voluntarily pull scheduled viewings within just a day of the video game adaptation’s Dec. 4 China premiere, a full three weeks ahead of its U.S. Dec. 25 roll-out. At issue was a ten-second exchange interpreted by passionately patriotic viewers as “insulting to China.” The controversy even caught the attention of the official accounts of the Communist Youth League and a high-level Communist Party magazine, whose posts decrying the film gave the issue more visibility and clout. By midnight Friday, theaters across the country had been ordered to cancel any future “Monster Hunter” screenings and to refund tickets.

Chinese notices posted online indicate that the plan was initially to create a censored version with the controversial line removed overnight and redistribute it to cinemas. That push, however, appears to have dissipated amidst continued blowback. A Western source close to the production told Variety Tuesday they currently do not have information on the film’s future prospects in China.

A search for “Monster Hunter” on major Chinese ticketing app Tao Piaopiao leads to a half blank page with comments disabled.
    Whether to keep nationalistic sentiment from getting out of hand, to protect co-producer Tencent’s business interests, or other reasons, “Monster Hunter” remains a sort of odd persona non grata on the Chinese web. Ticket sales are unavailable on local ticketing apps, and comment functions there have been disabled. Despite being a top searched title on the Tao Piaopiao ticketing app Tuesday, its page was half blank, with no poster image or any of the typical key stats, past or present, indicating how many people were interested in or liked the film.

The Douban user review platform moved from making comments about “Monster Hunter” unavailable on its website and app over the weekend to removing its page on the film entirely by Tuesday. The Baidu search engine — the Chinese equivalent of Google, which is blocked in the country — lists the film in its database, but not a rating. And it has deleted all comments.

The controversy surrounding “Monster Hunter” was apparently even urgent and political sensitive enough to inspire the Hainan International Film Festival — an event that once spoke of aspirations to become the Cannes of China due to its southern tropical island location — to rather bizarrely refund tickets for Sunday screenings of the 2019 French film “Poissonsexe (Fishlove).”

Billed as an “eco-friendly romantic comedy” about a biologist seeking love in a world where fish have stopped procreating, the movie has the unfortunate luck of being given the Chinese title “Strange Fish Story,” or “guaiyu wuyu,” which shares two of the same characters with the Chinese title for “Monster Hunter: “guaiwu lieren.” Rather hilariously, the festival decided to censor the unrelated film because of the similarities of their titles so as to avoid any “Monster Hunter” trouble.

“Monster Hunter” grossed just $4.8 million on its one day of release before it was pulled — a far cry from the $160 million earned by director Paul W.S. Anderson’s last China outing. His 2017 video game franchise film “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter” grossed six times more in what is now the world’s largest film market than it did in the U.S.

Lazy loaded image
    The Baidu search engine’s film database has removed the rating and deleted comments for “Monster Hunter.”
    The scene that caused the controversy is one in which two characters, an Australian soldier and a Chinese one played by Chinese-American Jin Au-Yeung, are joking around as they drive a vehicle through the desert. The latter puns: “What kinds of knees are these? Chi-nese!” Chinese viewers interpreted it as a reference to an old World War II-era racist rhyme that goes, “Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees.”

Constantin Film, the Munich-based German production and distribution firm that produced the movie, was the first to try to stamp out fires earlier this week with a statement to “sincerely apologize to Chinese audiences.”

“There was absolutely no intent to discriminate, insult or otherwise offend anyone of Chinese heritage,” it said. “Constantin Film has listened to the concerns expressed by Chinese audiences and removed the line that has led to this inadvertent misunderstanding.”

Anderson also issued a statement to say causing offense for some in China has “absolutely devastated” him.

“I apologize for any anxiety or upset that this line and its interpretation caused. ‘Monster Hunter’ was made as fun entertainment and I am mortified that anything within it has caused unintentional offense,” he wrote. “We have respectfully removed the line from the movie. It was never our intention to send a message of discrimination or disrespect to anyone. To the contrary — at its heart our movie is about unity.”

Actor Jin — better known as MC Jin, the trailblazing first Asian-American rapper to sign with a major U.S. record label, familiar to millions of Chinese for his appearance on the competition reality show “The Rap of China” — put out a sincere video apology on his Instagram.

He said his line had nothing to do with the racist rhyme. “It’s a pun, and the way I portrayed the character and the emotion of it is, this is a moment for him to proudly proclaim he’s a Chinese soldiers — not just his knees, but his arms, his head, his heart,” he explained. “If anything, why I’m so frustrated and it’s eating in my heart is that it felt like this was a scene that was supposed to be a moment for Chinese people to be like, ‘Yes! There are Chinese soldiers!’ That’s all. So for it to be flipped upside down like this, it really, really, really is eating at me.”

“Monster Hunter” star Milla Jovovich, who is married to Anderson, wrote Jin in a comment below that she was “so sad that you feel the need to apologize.”

“You are amazing and have always been so outspoken about your pride in your Chinese heritage. The line you improvised in the film was done to remind people of that pride, not to insult people,” she said. “We should have researched the historical origin of it and that’s 100% on us, but you didn’t do ANYTHING wrong. None of us had ever heard the ‘dirty knees’ reference. You included. It was an unfortunate mistake and the Chinese translation didn’t help.”

A fan also posted: “Please please don’t apologize!!! Take it back!! I don’t want to live in a world where we can’t laugh anymore.”

But Jin took ownership of decision to do so in a reply, despite doubling down on his joke. “I do believe that there are truly people who may have misinterpreted it and were offended. I have no issue with apologizing for the misunderstanding but not for saying the line,” he wrote, adding: “I personally think the joke is hilarious, but I’m a certified dad joke fan.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chi-knees

Srsly? They never heard that racist rhyme before? I grew up with that ****.

‘Monster Hunter’ Director Paul W.S. Anderson, Co-Star MC Jin Apologize Over Scene That Caused China Backlash

By Nancy Tartaglione
    International Box Office Editor/Senior Contributor
    @DeadlineNancy
    More Stories By Nancy

December 8, 2020 3:07am

Sony
    Monster Hunter director Paul W.S. Anderson has weighed in on the controversy surrounding the film, which was pulled from Chinese cinemas during its opening weekend amid backlash over a line of dialogue that has been perceived as racist by local audiences. In a statement provided to Deadline, Anderson says he is “devastated” and “mortified” that anything in the film “has caused unintentional offense… It was never our intention to send a message of discrimination or disrespect to anyone. To the contrary — at its heart our movie is about unity.” (See the statement in full below.)

Also apologizing, Asian-American rapper/actor Jin Au-Yeung (aka MC Jin), posted a three-minute video to his Instagram account in which he says the situation is “eating at my heart.” His story was then commented on by star Milla Jovovich. In her reply she wrote, “It was our fault for not doing our due diligence and finding the WW2 era rhyme that’s caused this uproar.” Deadline has confirmed that the line is being removed from all versions globally.

Anderson’s statement in full reads: “I am absolutely devastated that a line from our movie, Monster Hunter, has offended some audience members in China. I apologize for any anxiety or upset that this line and its interpretation caused. Monster Hunter was made as fun entertainment and I am mortified that anything within it has caused unintentional offense. We have respectfully removed the line from the movie. It was never our intention to send a message of discrimination or disrespect to anyone. To the contrary — at its heart our movie is about unity.”

As for Jin, who speaks the dialogue in question, he wrote, “I felt a need to address this situation because what is at stake is not my career but something even more dear to my heart — my roots. I’ve spent the last 20 years using my platform to embrace and be a positive voice for my community. I am and will always be proud of my heritage.”

Watch the full video below:
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIgSVXj...ource=ig_embed

Here’s Jovovich’s reply to Jin’s story: “I’m so sad that you feel the need to apologize. You are amazing and have always been so outspoken about your pride in your Chinese heritage. The line you improvised in the film was done to remind people of that pride, not to insult people. We should have researched the historical origin of it and that’s 100% on us, but you didn’t do ANYTHING wrong. None of us had ever heard the ‘dirty knees’ reference. You included. It was an unfortunate mistake and the Chinese translation didn’t help. We adore you Jin and are so proud to have worked with you on this fun and exciting project and I hope you don’t let this get you down man. It was our fault for not doing our due diligence and finding the WW2 era rhyme that’s caused this uproar. We love you Jin.”

Monster Hunter’s Chinese distribution was handled by Tencent which is an equity partner in the film. Including Thursday sneaks, the fantasy actioner did $5.3M on Friday but has since disappeared from ticketing platform Maoyan. The film is produced by Constantin (which issued its own apology on Sunday), Impact Pictures, Tencent and Toho. Sony has world rights outside Germany, Austria, Switzerland, China and Japan. It released the film in a handful of markets this past weekend where it debuted at No. 1 in each case, grossing $2.65M combined. The feature game adaptation is due to hit U.S. cinemas on December 25.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

more on censorship

China Tightens Censorship After 'Monster Hunter' Scandal, Delays Release of Hit Anime 'Demon Slayer' (Exclusive)
    1:17 AM PST 12/17/2020 by Patrick Brzeski

Coco Van Oppens/Sony Pictures

The country's Film Administration has called back previously approved imported films for a second censorship review as it faces pressure to avoid another controversy. The resultant delays could severely impact the earning power of films like 'Demon Slayer.'

The racial insensitivity scandal that derailed the China release of action film Monster Hunter is starting to impact other high-profile movies in the country.

Sources in Beijing tell The Hollywood Reporter that the China Film Administration has tightened its censorship process in the wake of the controversy, calling back several previously approved imported films for a second, more thorough review.

The largest film impacted is the Japanese anime blockbuster Demon Slayer, which has earned just shy of $300 million worldwide and was hotly anticipated in China. The Japanese hit was acquired by Chinese entertainment company Bilibili and was eyeing a major theatrical release in late December or early January. A source close to the situation tells THR that those plans have been plunged into turmoil after the censors insisted on scrutinizing the movie a second time.

Popular Japanese anime sequel Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III. spring song, produced by Tokyo studio Ufotable, is said to have suffered the same fate. Directed by Tomonori Sudou, Fate/stay III earned a healthy $19.2 million in Japan earlier this year despite taking a hit from the country’s brief COVID-19 cinema shutdowns.

Neither film is expected to have any difficulty passing censorship a second time, but the lengthy approval process will probably push them out of their year-end target release window. Since China’s regulators don’t allow foreign films to open during the lucrative Chinese New Year holiday period — Feb. 11-26, 2021 — Demon Slayer and Fate/stay may have to wait until late February or March to release in China. By then, a high-quality pirate copy of Demon Slayer is expected to have leaked online (the film will release on DVD and Blu-ray in Japan sometime in late January), which could severely impact the blockbuster’s China earnings.

Chinese filmgoers often privately gripe about their country’s strict censorship system, but in the case of Monster Hunter, some patriotic social media users vocally criticized the government for not taking a more aggressive stance.

Directed by Paul W. S. Anderson (Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat) and starring Milla Jovovich, Monster Hunter is an adaptation of a Capcom video game series that commands a particularly strong following in China. Other video game adaptations, such as the Resident Evil franchise, have done huge business in the country, and hopes were high that Monster Hunter would do the same. A global effort, the film was co-produced by China’s own tech giant Tencent, Germany’s Constantin Films, Anderson’s Impact Pictures and Japan’s Toho, with Sony holding most of the worldwide distribution rights outside of China.

But the film was yanked from Chinese cinemas one day after its release on Dec. 4 after a brief scene caught the attention of filmgoers and exploded on social media.

The 10-second sequence that sparked the outcry features Asian-American rapper/actor MC Jin saying to a fellow character, “Look at my knees." "What kind of knees are these?" replies his white companion. "Chi-nese,” Jin quips. Many interpreted the pun as a reference to the once common racist playground rhyme used to insult people of Asian origin.

Capcom immediately distanced itself, saying it had nothing to do with the adaptation, and the film’s producers later issued a statement apologizing and saying no offense was intended. But the damage was done: Scores of angry local filmgoers and lay observers slammed the scene as a slur against the Chinese people. The movie was pulled and has yet to be rereleased, even though the producers pledged to cut the offending sequence before putting it back out. Some internet commentators even took direct aim at Beijing’s censors for not “catching” the offending snippet of dialog.

Even prior to the Monster Hunter debacle, film censorship in China had become tighter than at any time in recent memory. Numerous leading local filmmakers, including Zhang Yimou, Guan Hu and Derek Tsang, have had to make changes to their latest work in response to decisions by censors. Monster Hunter seems to only have exacerbated the repressive trend.

Bilibili operates one of China’s most popular streaming platforms, which targets a young and influential demographic, often with anime content. The company acquired the hit Japanese anime TV series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, which preceded the blockbuster movie adaptation. In Japan, the popularity of the TV series, as well as the original manga on which it is based, was instrumental to the big-screen version’s historic success (the film is expected to soon surpass Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away as the highest-grossing film in Japanese box office history). Bilibili had been repeating that playbook by streaming the TV series version, priming the Chinese audience for the forthcoming film release.

Japanese anime has been known to generate huge ticket sales in China. Matoko Shinkai’s whimsical teen anime Your Name earned $84 million in 2016 and a rerelease of Spirited Away brought in $70 million in 2018 — 17 years after its original debut.

Losing Demon Slayer from the 2020 calendar would be a sizable disappointment to Chinese exhibitors as well as Bilibili. China's year-end theatrical release calendar is looking notably thin after the release of Warner Bros.' Wonder Woman 1984 and Dante Lam’s The Rescue on Friday. Many in the Chinese industry were hoping Demon Slayer might give the box office a final boost as 2020 ticked over into the new year.

PATRICK BRZESKI
    patrick.brzeski@thr.com
    @thr
    I should start a thread on Demon Slayer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$2m

‘Monster Hunter’ Struggles Past $2M at the Weekend Box Office
    sony pictures
    John Stewart December 20, 2020

Sony Pictures’ “Monster Hunter” didn’t have the monster-sized debut that the studio was hoping for this weekend. The film barely passed the $2M mark at the domestic box office and will have to battle “Wonder Woman 1984” next week. The film adaptation of the popular video game franchise failed to spark a return to the box office, but with the vaccine in sight, the domestic numbers should improve in early 2021.

“Monster Hunter” did win the box office with a $2.2M debut across 1,736 locations. Paul W.S. Anderson directed the film, which stars Milla Jovovich, Tony Jaa, and T.I.

Universal Pictures’ “The Croods: A New Age” dropped to second-place on the domestic chart with a $2M weekend in 1,906 locations. Joel Crawford directed “The Croods: A New Age,” which features the voice talents of Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, Cloris Leachman, Clark Duke, Leslie Mann, Peter Dinklage, and Kelly Marie Tran.

The romantic-thriller “Fatale” brought in $925K over its opening weekend in 1,107 locations. Deon Taylor directed the movie, which stars Hilary Swank, Michael Ealy, and Mike Colter.

The “Elf” re-release brought in $365K this weekend, remaining in 600 locations for the holidays. The comedy “Half Brothers” made another $260K across 1,143 locations, raising the film’s two-week domestic total to just over $1.7M. Luke Greenfield directed “Half Brothers,” which stars Luis Gerardo Méndez, Connor Del Rio, and José Zúñiga.

“Wonder Woman” is the big release this week, which releases in theaters day-and-date with the HBO Max release. After “Monster Hunter” flopped on opening weekend, more studios might push for the streaming option if they choose not to delay their releases. Disney and Warner Bros. Pictures have chose streaming over limited releases during the pandemic, but most of the tentpoles from other studios were pushed into 2021. Moviegoers will have an avalanche of new releases to choose from in 2021, as delayed movies battle with the recently finished projects.
    Still want to see this. I'll wait for that stream.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Milla

Milla Jovovich on ‘Monster Hunter’ China controversy: “We should have researched it”
    "I feel horrible that it did strike a nerve with some people"

By
    Beth Webb
    18th June 2021
    Milla Jovovich has spoken out about her new film Monster Hunter being pulled from cinemas in China.

As part of an exclusive interview with NME, Jovovich addressed the backlash that the film received. The issue stemmed from a ten second-long exchange that some Chinese viewers believed to “insult China”.

The moment in question saw Jovovich’s Asian co-star MC Jin in conversation with a white male character.

“Look at my knees!” shouts Jin. “What kind of knees are these?” asks his companion. “Chi-nese!” Jin replies.

The line of dialogue was interpreted by some as an old, racist schoolyard rhyme that targeted Asian people. Consequently, Chinese cinemas removed the film from their programming from its opening day. The dialogue in question has since been taken out of the film.

Milla Jovovich
    ‘Monster Hunter’ arrives in UK cinemas today (June 18). CREDIT: Alamy

Though Jovovich has voiced regret about the offence caused, she has said that the line came from a good place.

“MC Jin is such a proud Chinese-American, and when he improvised that line it was to show his pride and his heritage,” she told NME.

She continued: “None of us, including him, had ever heard this World War II rhyme. I feel horrible that it… did strike a nerve with some people who remember being made fun of.”

Jovovich was adamant that the line that Jin improvised was not associated with the rhyme in question.

“We should have researched it, that’s all there is to it,” she concluded.

After the film was pulled in China, Jin took to his Instagram account to record a video apology.

“It’s unfortunate that it has escalated to this level, especially since the line was intended to be uplifting,” Jin said. “To my Chinese fans, I appreciate all your support and understanding during this time.”

During her interview with NME, Jovovich also shared her love for a female action hero who inspired her growing up.

“One of the first movies that I remember watching on HBO… was Aliens and Sigourney Weaver,” she said. “I think that’s what really started me on my trajectory to do action films.”

Monster Hunter is released in the UK on June 18.
    I'm not surprised Milla hadn't heard this given her age. I'm somewhat surprised that PRC knew it. I had totally forgotten about it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips