Thread: Shaolin tofu

Shaolin tofu

Every once in a while, I see a new breaking stunt. I've heard of this break but this is the first video I've seen. Follow the link.

TRANSLATING CHINA
    EDITION
    NOV 29

SOCIETY

Shaolin tofu
    01:02
    by Cena Lau

Inkstone publishes six stories every weekday at 6:00am (ET) to bring you fresh insight into China.

A Shaolin monk by the name of Shi Yongchang has demonstrated his strength by breaking bricks in half with his bare hands… while they’re held between blocks of soft, wobbly tofu.

Check out the video to see how it’s done.

CENA LAU
    Cena is a motion graphics designer at Inkstone. He tells stories through motion graphics by bridging the gap between 2D and 3D techniques.
    Shaolin tofu
    Tofu
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hmmm.....a little smoke and mirrors with a CGI flash of chi, I think. I was hoping to see a Mr. Ku Yu Cheong great grand disciple smashing bricks in the middle of a Tofu/brick triple decker sandwich like in "Iron Palm in a Hundred Days". Much to my chagrin that's not the demonstration here.

I first learned to break a brick in the mid 70's after reading John Keehan's [AKA "Count Dante"] classic work entitled: "Worlds Deadliest Fighting Secrets". The brick breaking part of the text was actually Bonus material contained at the end of the book.

The technique is as follows: take any brick and hold it up against a very hard surface. I used to use the top of a fire hydrant as my base. Hold the brick down on the surface with one hand while the other slowly rises and falls targeting the hand's plane of motion to the brick while you gather you chi. Hiss your breath and contort your face. Do this a couple of times to build the suspense and grab the audiences visual attention [misdirection so they don't see your sleight of hand]. As you begin to strike the brick- the hand holding it very subtly lifts it off the hard surface about a half inch or so before impact [sleight of hand]. Then as your hand impacts pulverizing the brick in half, people are awe struck at your raw power! Amaze your friends, impress others- be the life of the dojo! The secret here is that lifting the brick is essentially the same as just smashing it down. For me the hard metal nut on the top of the fire hydrant acted like a hammer to the brick and the tubular design of the fire plug made it difficult to see that I was lifting the brick upon impact.

So, the Tofu allows the bricks to hit each other and break under their own momentum similar to the above described Iron Palm illusion. I'd be much more impressed if the Tofu and bricks were the same length and stacked in the center of the table...just saying.
    Last edited by robertdreeben; 12-04-2018 at 03:16 AM.
    Buy the best and cry once!