Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan underestimated

TRUE

I've had the pleasure to see him train and he is a great MArtist. I mean really good. He has excellent southern style technique, fantastic ditang quan, solid western boxing, as well as great stamina + strenght + agility + timing and sense of position.
    He trains conditioning and MA 2-3 hours daily, plus the on screen stuff, and has been doing so for 40+ years.
    One of the best MArtist I've seen, and I've seen lots. He is very modest and always plays it down, saying that it's all just for show and stuff, but to see him train it's an awesome sight and he'd be a formidable opponent despite nearing 50.

W

Thumbs up

you're lucky!

So, did you have a feeling of his fighting ability? I mean, does he spar, train for fighting, or does he just train forms, strength, agility, etc?

In a tipical workout (2-3 hours!) he spars with his team at about 50-70% contact, he works the heavy bag and the strike pads a lot and really hard, shadow boxes, runs, lifts weights, skips rope, does tumbling, and ends with a long stretch and a sauna.
    That's a pretty serious workout regime, then add to that the fact that he might spend another few hours the same day on set doing action scenes and therefore kicking, punching etc ....

Wall

Smile

Nice! Good to hear he's working out hard, even at his age. admirable.

I think Jet Li works out pretty hard too, but I don't know if he spars.. Judging from what he says in articles on his website, I doubt he does.

Jackie

If you see his older films - the 80's period stuff - there's no question as to his skill.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I met him very briefly once, and he was very polite and took time to look all of the fans who approached him in hte eye one at a time.

An excellent PR man.

Oh and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. It takes a lot of energy and character to keep that up, a sign of a real kung fu man.

Just look at his body and the way he moves, even in interviews.

That guy is a FIGHTER, one of the best there is. Perhaps he might even be one of the best of all time, he's that good.

I myself would NEVER want to fight Jackie Chan. No matter how good I got, I'm not sure if I'd walk away from that one alive.

So, it seems there is not that big a doubt towards Chan's abilities, but there is to Jet Li's. How can that be?

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    Just look at his body and the way he moves, even in interviews.

That guy is a FIGHTER, one of the best there is. Perhaps he might even be one of the best of all time, he's that good.

I myself would NEVER want to fight Jackie Chan. No matter how good I got, I'm not sure if I'd walk away from that one alive.
    God, you're a dickhead.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

jackie chan is the man. even his bad movies he makes good with his kung fu. chan is very skilled in amrtial arts and its sad that people dont realize that. people say jet li this and that. but personally i dont like jet li's movies as much, jet li isn't as likeable as jackie and his movies are more serious and he's mroe godlike in his movies. in once upon a time in china i think he got hit twice if i remember counting right. jackie chan is the man that made me want to take kung fu all the years back when i was a kid.

"Godlike"?
    Please elaborate

Ah, we have an IDIOT here!

Serpent thinks he can take Jackie Chan (or me for that matter)!

Chinese people eat snakes with great relish. Yummy!

Jet Li, on the other hand, doesn't strike me as being much of a fighter.

On the other hand, I wouldn't doubt that he could hurt anybody if he really wanted to. Certainly he'd be able to get his techniques off on ME.

The question is whether or not I'd still be standing.

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
    Ah, we have an IDIOT here!

Serpent thinks he can take Jackie Chan (or me for that matter)!

Chinese people eat snakes with great relish. Yummy!

Jet Li, on the other hand, doesn't strike me as being much of a fighter.

On the other hand, I wouldn't doubt that he could hurt anybody if he really wanted to. Certainly he'd be able to get his techniques off on ME.

The question is whether or not I'd still be standing.
    No, Huang, you really are a dickhead.

I never mentioned whether or not I thought I "could take Jackie Chan" or you. I simply pointed out that you're a dickhead.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching