Thread: Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men

Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men

I cut out all the other films listed, only kept the relevant one.

Sundance: Rosamund Pike, Wu-Tang Clan, Jordan Peele-Produced Lorena Bobbitt Series Added to Fest
    1:00 PM PST 12/3/2018 by Tatiana Siegel

Andrew Chin/Getty Images
    RZA, GZA, Method Man, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, U-God, Masta Killa and Cappadonna of hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan perform on stage during day 2 of Center Of Gravity 2018 at Kelowna City Park on July 28, 2018 in Kelowna, Canada.

Given the impressive list of names in the episodic lineup, it is clear that Sundance has become a destination for small-screen fare that screens against the festival's bread-and-butter indie films.

The Sundance Film Festival unveiled its lineup of the indie episodic, shorts and special events on Monday. Among the standouts are a documentary series from producer Jordan Peele about the infamous case of John and Lorena Bobbitt dubbed Lorena and a comedic series with Rosamund Pike and Chris O'Dowd in the leads titled State of the Union (Nick Hornby created, and Stephen Frears directed). Also of note is the series Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men, which traces the arc of iconic rappers and features the participation of every member.

Given the impressive list of names in the episodic lineup, it is clear that Sundance has become a destination for small-screen fare that screens against the festival's bread-and-butter indie films.

With the shorts lineup mostly comprised of up-and-comers, it’s difficult to predict what might be this year’s Whiplash (Damien Chazelle’s feature film started its life as a short at Sundance). Films that look promising on paper include A.V. Rockwell’s Feathers, which tackles the world of boys school hazing and will debut on Day One of the festival.

“This year’s crop of shorts are rowdy, reflective, visionary -- we are excited to discover so many new voices and perspectives on today’s world,” said Sundance senior programmer Mike Plante.

Of the projects announced today, 53 percent were directed or created by one or more women, 51 percent were directed or created by one or more filmmaker of color, and 26 percent by one or more people who identify as LGBTQIA. A dozen were supported by Sundance Institute in development, whether through direct granting or residency Labs.

Today’s announcement follows last week’s unveiling of the 112 films that will screen across 10 major categories including the U.S. competition, world competition and NEXT sections including the Harvey Weinstein doc Untouchable, the Shia LaBeouf-Lucas Hedges pairing Honey Boy (about a child TV star and his ex-rodeo clown father) and Rashid Johnson’s modern reimagining of Richard Wright’s seminal novel Native Son.

The 2019 edition of the fest is set to run Jan. 24-Feb. 3 in and around Park City.

Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men/U.S.A. (Director: Sacha Jenkins, Executive Producers: Peter J Scalettar, Peter Bittenbender, Chris Gary) — The cultural history of Wu-Tang Clan; artists who escape the poverty, violence, and oppression of their neighborhoods through music. They encounter wild success and heartbreak along the way to becoming the most recognized musical movement in the world -- all while walking the tightrope that links business with brotherhood. Cast: All members of the Wu-Tang Clan. World Premiere
    THREADS
    Wu Forever!
    Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

the bible

If Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men is the bible, what will Wu-Tang: An American Saga be?

I just realized there are two of these. All this time I've been thinking that they are one and the same.

Showtime's 4-part Wu-Tang Clan documentary is so epic RZA calls it the 'bible' of the band

Jason Guerrasio May 9, 2019, 8:45 AM

Wu-Tang Clan. Showtime

Legendary rap group Wu-Tang Clan tells all in a new four-part documentary on Showtime, "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men."
    Business Insider sat with Wu-Tang members RZA and U-God, as well as the movie's director Sacha Jenkins, to talk about pulling off the epic telling of the band's history.

RZA and U-God also revealed the personal moments in their lives that were uncovered for the documentary that they were hesitant to allow on screen..

Twenty-five years ago, hip-hop was given a unique sound that has not been duplicated since. With songs that used samples from old kung-fu movies matched with gripping rhymes about personal struggles in New York's Staten Island (which they called Shaolin), nine MCs known as Wu-Tang Clan instantly became a sensation as their rugged style began to circulate through the rap scene.

The group's first album, 1993's "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," would go down as one of the greatest debuts in the history of hip-hop. It not only launched the group into legendary status, but, as the years past, gave many of the members individual success as solo artists.

Now the Wu is finally willing to tell its story.

Showtime's four-part documentary, "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men" (premiering Friday), is an exhaustive look at the members' beginnings trying to stay out of jail (or not return to it), followed by international stardom once the first album hit. The group's rise was systematically orchestrated by its de facto leader, RZA, who not only produced the albums (and many of the solo works), but also made the group a multi-million-dollar brand thanks to a popular clothing line as well as production and management companies.

And like every epic story, there's also the bad side. Inner turmoil within the band and the death of outlandish member Ol' Dirty ******* caused years to pass without any new Wu-Tang music. Director Sacha Jenkins does a masterful job connecting all the dots to tell a story that shies away from nothing.

In fact, it's a telling of the Wu-Tang that RZA always envisioned. 

"The idea was a definitive documentary, which I told Sacha is the bible," RZA told Business Insider. "And when it comes to archival, this movie should get an award. I don't know how they got it all."

But RZA needed some convincing at first that Jenkins was right for the job.

At the time when the Wu-Tang were being approached by many Hollywood producers to do something to commemorate the 25th anniversary of "Enter the Wu-Tang," RZA said Jenkins also came to the table wanting to tell the Wu story.

(L-R) RZA and "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men" director Sacha Jenkins. AP

"He was like, 'I live hip-hop, I'm a black man, I'm an artist, I'm the one who should tell the story,'" and I was like, 'Okay, whatever,'" RZA said.
    But there were few pitching a movie who had as much history with the band as Jenkins. The director recalled being so taken when handed the "Protect Ya Neck" single back in the early 1990s that he put the band, still unknown, on the cover of his underground hip-hop paper, Beat Down. As the years followed, Jenkins continued in other ventures like publishing and filmmaking, and on occasion interviewed the Wu-Tang. With that familiarity, he felt only he could tell the story the right way.

"I told RZA, 'Let's keep it 100, I'm of this culture, I grew up with the same experiences as black men in New York City of that time, I'm the guy.'"

RZA said he thought about it and after a few weeks finally agreed. He now thinks no one was better for the job than Jenkins.

"This was the right team because everyone let them into their homes," RZA said.

Though "Of Mics and Men" features a lot of archival footage of the Wu-Tang performing and crafting hit songs, Jenkins goes a step further and uses the archival to explore many of the members on a personal level that they never thought would be made public.

"When you see the bottom of the poster, where it says '160,'" U-God pointed at a poster that was hanging up in the room where the interview was taking place, "that's the address of my f---ing drug building right there. But I already talked to my lawyers so it's all good. I'm just saying that's how real this s--t is."

RZA admitted he purposely didn't provide any archival footage or photos, but Jenkins and his team somehow got a hold of something that was even more sensitive than his home movies.

"They called me from Ohio and said they were with Dominic, that's my lawyer, and he was going to give them the transcripts of my trial," RZA said, referring to a 1991 felonious assault charge, in which he was ultimately acquitted. "And I was like, 'ummm,' and then I was like, 'f---k it.'"

Jenkins said his goal was always to go deeper than the music.

Throughout the four-part doc we learn about Five-Percent Nation, the movement whose teachings are prominent in many Wu-Tang songs; the harassment by police that many members went through in their youth living in Staten Island; and the personal lives of many of the members — ranging from Ol' Dirty's paranoid state at the end of his life to U-God's son surviving being shot.

Legendary rap group Wu-Tang Clan look back on their career in the Showtime documentary "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men." Showtime

"To understand hip-hop is to understand the climate and the environment that people like us experience," Jenkins said. "The music that these guys made were reflections of and a reaction to their environment. I called this film 'Of Mics and Men' because Wu-Tang is an American classic, and we have to start looking at black artists as American artists."
    Looking back on the history of the Wu — the poverty and crime the group was brought up in, the unlikely launch to fame, the band drama — RZA compares it all to life strapped on a roller-coaster ride that has led to the surviving members having a stronger bond today than ever before.

"A couple people that didn't make it to this point, they didn't hold on," he said. "We're all still here, we held on."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart