Thread: Batwoman

Batwoman

JANUARY 03, 2019 10:30am PT by Lesley Goldberg
    Ruby Rose-Led 'Batwoman' Pilot a Go at CW
    David Nutter, who helmed 'Game of Thrones, 'Arrow' and 'The Flash,' is on board to direct.

Jack Rowand/The CW
    Ruby Rose as Batwoman

David Nutter, who helmed 'Game of Thrones, 'Arrow' and 'The Flash,' is on board to direct.

It's official: The CW is moving forward with a Batwoman stand-alone series.

The network on Thursday handed out a pilot order for the Ruby Rose-led drama from showrunner and writer Caroline Dries (The Vampire Diaries) and exec producer Greg Berlanti.

David Nutter, the Emmy-winning Game of Thrones helmer who previously helmed pilots for The CW's The Flash and Arrow, will serve in the same capacity on Batwoman.

The news comes mere weeks after Orange Is the New Black alum Rose made her debut in The CW's three-way DC Comics series crossover (dubbed "Elseworlds"). The drama, first put in development in July, was widely expected to be picked up to pilot and remains a frontrunner for a series order given the auspices attached (and that The CW's Arrow, now in season seven, has begun to show its age).

The potential series breaks yet another barrier for Berlanti as Batwoman becomes the first-ever superhero series to be led by a lesbian character — and played by an openly gay actress in Rose.

Here's The CW's official description: "Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane [Rose] soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope."

In addition to writing and serving as showrunner, Dries exec produces alongside Berlanti and his Warner Bros. TV-based Berlanti Productions topper Sarah Schechter and Geoff Johns. Nutter, whom Berlanti personally recruited to direct following his successful world-building on The Flash and Arrow pilots, will also be credited as an exec producer. Batwoman is based on characters from DC Comics.

In a Hollywood Reporter poll following the conclusion of the "Elseworlds" crossover, 85 percent (more than 2,000 people) voted in favor of seeing a Batwoman series.

Batwoman is The CW's first official pilot order of the season. It's also Berlanti's first of the season as the prolific producer looks to add to his historic haul of 15 scripted series on broadcast and streaming. They are The CW's All American, Arrow, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Riverdale and Supergirl; NBC's Blindspot, CBS' God Friended Me and The Red Line; Netflix's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Lifetime transplant You; and DC Universe's Stargirl, Titans and Doom Patrol.

Heading into pilot season, Berlanti has multiple broadcast scripts in development and will likely add other pilot pickups beyond Batwoman.

For her part, Rose quit Twitter following a backlash to her casting as Batwoman. The CW will re-air last month's crossover starting Monday.

Berlanti and Nutter are repped by WME. Rose is with UTA.
    What martial arts style does Batwoman propound? Ninjitsu? Keysi?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Batwoman's daddy

The CW's Batwoman pilot has found its Jacob Kane, Kate's father

Courtesy ICM Partners; DC

CHANCELLOR AGARD
    February 19, 2019 at 08:42 PM EST
    Meet Batwoman’s father.

Snatch‘s Dougray Scott has joined the CW’s Batwoman pilot as the DC Comics character Jacob Kane, Kate Kane/Batwoman’s (Ruby Rose) military father. According to the official character description, Jacob is “a former military colonel with a chip on his shoulder for Batman, Jacob Kane now commands Gotham’s private security firm The Crows, and has made it his mission to protect his city better than the Dark Knight ever could. But it’s only a matter of time before his unwavering disdain for vigilantes puts him at odds with Gotham’s new caped crusader…who also happens to be his own daughter.”

Scott joins the previously announced cast of Rachel Skarsten (Reign) as the villainous Alice; Meagan Tandy (Teen Wolf) as Sophia Moore; Nicole Kang (YOU) as Mary Hamilton; and Camrus Johnson (Luke Cage) as Luke Fox.

Furthermore, there has been a director change. New executive producer Marcos Siega, who helmed the pilots of The Vampire Diaries and God Friended Me, will direct the pilot, replacing David Nutter, who was supposed direct the episode but stepped down for personal reasons. Nutter will remain an executive producer on the pilot alongside Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns, and Caroline Dries, who also wrote the pilot’s script.

Rose made her debut as Batwoman in the most recent Arrowverse crossover, “Elseworlds.” The prospective series follows Kate, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter, as she tries to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. “But don’t call her a hero yet,” the official logline warns. “In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.”
    I don't really know much about Batwoman to be honest. I only recently discovered the character watching Batman: Bad Blood. I know, I know, I'm not a comic nerd. That's Design Sifu's role in this department.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

green light on the bat (woman) light

The CW orders Batwoman, Riverdale spin-off Katy Keene, Nancy Drew to series

By Chancellor Agard May 07, 2019 at 08:15 PM EDT

JB LACROIX/WIREIMAGE; JACK ROWAND/THE CW

In completely unsurprising news: We are indeed getting a Batwoman series, because the CW has picked up the Ruby Rose-led Arrowverse project for the 2019-2020 season.

Executive-produced by Greg Berlanti and writer Caroline Dries, the Warner Bros.-produced series follows Kate Kane (Rose) as “she soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence,” according to the official logline. “But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.” Rose made her debut as the titular caped crusader in the 2018 Arrowverse crossover “Elseworlds.”

Additionally, the CW also gave series orders to the Riverdale spin-off Katy Keene and Nancy Drew.

Here’s the official logline for Katy Keene: “In a timeless New York City, as enchanting as Riverdale is moody, aspiring fashion designer Katy Keene (Lucy Hale) meets Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), fresh off the bus to chase her musical dreams. Their world is populated with kindred-spirit starving artists, including mysterious socialite Pepper Smith (Julia Chan) and Broadway-bound performer Jorge Lopez — and his drag queen alter ego, Ginger (Jonny Beauchamp). While their climb to the top is rife with obstacles, this found family will stop at nothing to see their names in lights. Based on the Archie Comics characters.”

And here’s what you can expect from the Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage-produced Nancy Drew: “Set in the summer after her high school graduation, 18-year-old Nancy Drew (Kennedy McMann) thought she’d be leaving her hometown for college, but when a family tragedy holds her back another year, she finds herself embroiled in a ghostly murder investigation — and along the way, uncovers secrets that run deeper than she ever imagined.” Freddie Prince Jr. played Nancy’s father in the pilot.

There are two shows missing from this news, though: the potentially history-making Glamorous, which centers on a gender non-conforming lead character and stars Brooke Shields, and The Lost Boys, which was based on the 1987 movie of the same name.

At this time, Glamorous still remains in contention and we can expect a decision on that pilot to come at a later date. On the other hand, though, The Lost Boys will be re-piloted off-cycle and undergo reshoots as soon as some changes have been made.

The CW’s fall schedule will be announced at its 2019 upfronts presentation in New York City on May 16.
    What kind of training did Batwoman have? Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, if they go with the comics, it was military training. When her dad found out she was using stolen military equipment he sent her around the world for 2 years to get additional training. I haven't come across specifics as far as styles etc.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Batwoman | First Look Trailer | The CW

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ruby injured

Orange Is the New Black Star Ruby Rose in a Wheelchair After Undergoing Back Surgery

Ruby Rose has revealed she will be confirmed to a wheelchair as she recovers from back surgery – but she wants to let her fans know she'll "be fine"

By Alexia Fernandez January 18, 2018 09:11 PM

Duration
    0:15

Ruby Rose has revealed she will be confirmed to a wheelchair as she recovers from back surgery – but she wants to let her fans know she’ll “be fine.”

The actress and model, 31, shared a photo on Twitter Thursday of herself sitting in the wheelchair wearing a white T-shirt with the words “Strong Female Lead” and red plaid pants.

Rose said she went under the knife to try to address a long-standing health issue.

“So..For the past few years (decade) I’ve been dealing with a spine issue,” she wrote. “I am now recovering from a back procedure, but I do need to stay active, so before I get seen with my cane and wheel chair in public, I’d rather put it out there that I’m fine and going to be fine.”

So..For the past few years (decade) I’ve been dealing with a spine issue. I am now recovering from a back procedure, but I do need to stay active, so before I get seen with my cane and wheel chair in public, I’d rather put it out there that I’m fine and going to be fine. pic.twitter.com/7nVw5fIk3k

— Ruby Rose (@RubyRose) January 18, 2018

What I need to know now is when I’m not wheeling around LA like a 102 year old, what movies, shows, books and video games do you suggest… I’m buying a switch.. I’m looking at you @chrissyteigen what games should I get?

Not one to rest on her laurels, the Orange Is the New Black star asked fans and friend Chrissy Teigen for good recommendations on TV shows, books and games that could keep her entertained while she was recovering.

“What I need to know now is when I’m not wheeling around LA like a 102 year old, what movies, shows, books and video games do you suggest… I’m buying a switch.. I’m looking at you @chrissyteigen what games should I get?”

Martha Hunt

@MarthaHunt
    Ouch.. Stay strong Ruby!!!

12:42 PM - Jan 18, 2018
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    23 people are talking about this
    Model Martha Hunt shared her well wishes on Twitter, writing, “Ouch.. Stay strong Ruby!!!”

Rose also shared that she was “blinging” her cane and walker as it was “the tan and nude colors” – and that bothers her.

Well, I’m currently blinging my cane and walker up.. so they can be more snazzy. It’s not the Cane and my A frame that’s the problem, it’s the tan and nude colors.. all I need is a boombox and streamers and I’m good.

“Well, I’m currently blinging my cane and walker up.. so they can be more snazzy. It’s not the Cane and my A frame that’s the problem, it’s the tan and nude colors.. all I need is a boombox and streamers and I’m good,” she wrote to a Twitter user who questioned why she felt 102-years-old.

Rose takes pride in her body and slammed body shamers in October after her Instagram followers said she looked “anorexic” at the CFDA/Vogue Fund Fashion Show.

“Body shaming S— ME. It’s so frustrating,” Rose wrote in a note posted to her Instagram story. “Not because I care what someone thinks of my body. I love my body when I don’t work out and I am soft and I love it when I train hard and feel strong.”

“I hate it because it worries fans or shames them. I hate it because it uses no logic and basically is just someone projecting their experience and expectations on others.”

Rose said she takes time and energy to take care of her body by leading a vegan and alcohol-free diet.

“I am plant based and stupidly healthy,” she said. “… So please take care of your body and your mind and your soul and stop judging others.”
    Ruby Rose undergoes emergency surgery after stunt injury almost leaves her paralyzed
    By Alaa Elassar, CNN
    Updated 8:16 PM ET, Sun September 29, 2019
    Ruby Rose as Kate Kane -- Photo: Elizabeth Morris/The CW -- © 2019 The CW Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

(CNN)Ruby Rose has undergone emergency surgery after a serious injury left her at risk of being paralyzed, the actress and model said on Instagram.
    The "Orange is the New Black" star documented the experience and, to some viewers' horror, it includes graphic video of her surgery.
    "To anyone asking why I let them video it..Did you not watch that Greys anatomy episode where they left a towel in a patient??" Rose joked in the video caption. "Also I wanted to see what happens when we go under."
    Rose said she herniated two discs while performing stunts a couple months ago. The injury came close to severing her spinal cord, leaving her in "chronic pain" and unable to feel her arms.
    This is not the first time Rose has undergone serious surgery. Last January, Rose revealed she was wheelchair-bound after going through a back procedure for her spinal issues, according to People.
    Rose is set to debut as "Batwoman" in The CW series which premieres on October 6.
    THREADS
    Batwoman
    Stunts - injuries & deaths
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More with Ruby

Ruby Rose Opened Up About Her "Terrifying" Neck Surgery For An Injury That Almost Paralyzed Her
    "I wanted to talk about it because Hollywood — and the world at large, I guess — we always try to make out like everything is effortless," the Batwoman actor said.
    Ellie Hall
    BuzzFeed News Reporter
    Posted on September 30, 2019, at 1:28 p.m. ET

JJ Reddington for BuzzFeed News

Ruby Rose said Monday that she decided to publicly discuss her recent neck surgery to combat the entertainment industry's expectations of actors.

Rose, 33, was injured performing stunts while filming Batwoman, which premieres Sunday on the CW.

"I wanted to talk about it because Hollywood — and the world at large, I guess — we always try to make out like everything is effortless and everything is about kind of being perfect and being a certain way," the actor told BuzzFeed News during an appearance on AM to DM. "I think in Hollywood it's sort of like you're meant to be young and beautiful and strong and good at all these different things. And it's kind of like, we're also human beings. And I wanted to embrace the fact that, yeah, no, I have a Pez dispenser scar."

Rose shared the news that she'd undergone an emergency surgery on Instagram on Friday.

"A couple of months ago, I was told I needed an emergency surgery or I was risking becoming paralyzed," she said. "I had herniated two discs doing stunts, and they were close to severing my spinal [cord]."

Leading up to the surgery, Rose said, she was in chronic pain and couldn't feel her arms.

She shared graphic footage of her surgery on Instagram, as well as a more SFW version featuring her surgeon on YouTube.

Ruby Rose / Instagram / YouTube

Rose told BuzzFeed News that the procedure was "terrifying" because there was a chance that it might leave her paralyzed if something went wrong — but there was also "a really high chance" that she would be paralyzed without the surgery.

In fact, she waited to talk about her surgery in part because of her fear of complications.

"I didn't tell anyone for a long time because I didn't want to distract from the show. I didn't want to have people worried about me," she said. "I didn't want to talk about it and be like, 'Hey, I did this great surgery and it's great' — and then have it [fail] and be like, 'Just kidding, it didn't work out, guys.'"

Rose added: "I want to talk about it because I've lived and it's something that I'm proud of and it's something that means a lot. It also reminded me to slow my roll, slow down a little. There's a lot of people out there who have to get much worse surgeries than this, and I would rather talk about it than pretend that it didn't happen."

Watch Ruby Rose's interview here:

Ellie Hall is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Washington, DC.
    Contact Ellie Hall at ellie.hall@buzzfeed.com.
    THREADS
    Batwoman
    Stunts - injuries & deaths
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Renewed for season 2

Feb 3, 2021 1:00pm PT
    ‘Walker,’ ‘Flash,’ ‘Riverdale’ Among 12 CW Shows to Score Early Renewals

By Joe Otterson

Rebecca Brenneman/THE CW
    The CW is renewing 12 of its scripted series, including an early Season 2 pick up for its freshman drama “Walker” starring Jared Padalecki.

The other shows are: “All American” (renewed for Season 4), “Batwoman” (renewed for Season 3), “Charmed” (Season 4), “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” (Season 7), “Dynasty” (Season 5) “The Flash” (Season 8), “In The Dark” (Season 4), “Legacies” (Season 4), “Nancy Drew” (Season 3), “Riverdale” (Season 6), and “Roswell, New Mexico” (Season 4). “Legends of Tomorrow,” “In The Dark,” “Dynasty,” and “Roswell, New Mexico” have yet to debut with their new seasons yet this year.

Freshman shows “Kung Fu” and “The Republic of Sarah” were not among the early renewals, though both of those shows have yet to premiere on the broadcaster.

In addition, The CW has ordered five additional episodes for Season 1 of “Walker” and two additional episodes of “Superman & Lois.” That brings “Walker” to 18 episodes total for its first season and 15 for “Superman & Lois.”

“Though we’re just a few weeks into the new season, we wanted to get a strategic head start on next season with these early renewals, which allows our production teams to start laying out story arcs and hiring staff, and at the same time, continues to provide us with a strong, stable schedule to build on for next season,” said Mark Pedowitz, chairman and CEO of The CW. “As The CW’s 2020-2021 season kicks into high gear, we are thrilled creatively with the direction of our first new shows out of the gate, ‘Walker’ and ‘Superman & Lois,’ that we wanted to order the additional episodes to complete their first seasons, and we are particularly pleased with the huge success of the launch of ‘Walker,’ which debuted as our most watched series premiere in 5 years.”

The CW has often made such sweeping renewal announcements, but this one comes as television networks continue to grapple with fallout from the pandemic. For the second year in a row, broadcast pilot season has been upended as the networks still work through the shows they had ordered to pilot last year.

The CW is also plotting spinoffs of multiple shows in its lineup via backdoor pilots. The network is currently prepping such a pilot for a potential “Black Lightning” spinoff built around the character Painkiller that will air during the mothership show’s fourth and final season. It was also recently announced that Tian Richards will make his first appearance as Tom Swift in an upcoming episode of “Nancy Drew,” potentially setting up his own spinoff. Most recently, the network announced that Geffri Maya would star in a backdoor pilot for a spinoff of “All American.”
    Anyone watch Walker yet?

Threads
    Walker
    Batwoman
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Batwoman | Season 3 Trailer | The CW

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

THE BATWOMAN Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cancelled

The CW Cancels Batwoman & Legends of Tomorrow, Showrunners Respond
    Anthony Nash May 1, 2022

Following the cancellation of both Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow, the showrunners for both series have taken to social media to address the moves.

In a tweet sent out shortly after The CW canceled Batwoman, showrunner Caroline Dries said that she was “bummed,” but still grateful for the opportunity to create the show in the first place.

“Just got the sad news that Batwoman will not be seeing an S4,” Dries said. “I am bummed, but full of gratitude. What an honor to make 51 episodes. So many inspiring, brilliant people contributed to this series. Thank you producers, cast and crew. Thank you, fans! We love you”

Keto Shimizu — the showrunner for The CW’s Legends of Tomorrow — also confirmed that the series would be not getting renewed for an eighth season. He said those behind the series were “heartbroken,” but that they were also “immensely grateful” for the chance to work on the show.

“Well, folks. It’s been an incredible run. However, the CW has let us know that there will be no season 8 of Legends Of Tomorrow.” said Shimizu. “We are heartbroken, but also immensely grateful for the amazing work our cast, crew, and writers have contributed to the little show that could. Thank you to our fans; your love and passion for our strange band of misfits has made every break, every script, every daily, every cut, and every mix worth all the hard work. We see you, we love you, and you’ll always have a place on the Waverider.”

Both Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow came as a bit of a surprise, as The CW seemed intent on supporting its huge roster of superhero content. Instead, the channel is now just left with a handful of ongoing programs, but with more — including Greg Berlanti’s upcoming Gotham Knights series — currently in development.
    So much for that. I never watched it. Did anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips