Thread: Are You Really Jing Wu?

Are You Really Jing Wu?

Are You Really Jing Wu? (A repost from my blog)

Often times when the discussion of Chinese martial arts arrive the, names Shaolin(少林), Wu Dong(武當)and Jing Wu(精武)find themselves woven into the conversation. In particular Jing Wu, Chin Woo or Jing Mo dependent upon the Chinese dialect or Romanization one prefers is seen as the titled name for many schools of Chinese martial arts that do not subscribe to the tradition of Jing Wu martial arts, we will get back to this point but first let us go back and recount the very essence of Jing Wu and its martial arts.
    During the early 20th century, the Chinese were coined the term “Sick Men of Asia”, due to the internal strife and being subjected to foreign powers in which caused China to sign treaties after the defeat in war or the threat of war. During the chaos, a native of Jinghai County, Tianjin by the name Huo Yuan Jia(霍元甲)emerged as an awakening voice to the conscious of China at that time, proclaiming the Chinese were not “Sick Men” as the foreigners had labeled them.

Huo Yuan Jia himself a highly accomplished master of the Mizong (迷蹤門Lost Track) system of tradition Chinese martial arts, which he inherited from his father Huo En Di. To strengthen the morale of the people Huo Yuan Jia along with Mr. Woo and others organized the Jing Wu School in Shanghai so as to strengthen the minds and bodies of his fellow countrymen. Shortly after the opening of the Jing Wu School Master Huo Yuan Jia passed away, his students imbued with their master’s spirit founded the Shanghai Central Jing Wu Athletic Association. Later many renowned Masters came to teach at Jing Wu such as: Zhao Lian He of Shaolin Mizong, Luo Gwang Yu of 7 Star Praying Mantis and Chen Zi Zheng of Eagles Claw, Wu Jian Quan of Wu Tai Ji, Sun Yu Fong of Northern Shaolin Lohan, Gan Dak Hoi of Pek Kwar Moon to name a few, adding more prestige and honor the world over.
    Later on all the masters came together to co-produce a standard system of dispensing martial knowledge, the results were the (十基本面)“Ten Fundamental Routines”, members of the Jing Wu Association were required to learn these fundamental skills before advancing to specialized system training. The required “Ten Fundamental Routines” are as follows:

A. 潭腿十二路 Tan Tui 12 Roads
    B. 工力拳 Gong Li Quan
    C. 節拳 Jie Quan
    D. 大战拳 Da Zhan Quan
    E. 虎撲群羊棍 Hu Pu Qun Yang Gun
    F. 八卦刀 Ba Gua Dao
    G. 五虎槍 Wu Hu Qiang
    H. 接潭腿 Jie Tan Tui
    I. 套拳 Tao Quan
    J. 單刀串槍 Dan Dao Chun Qiang

The above mentioned skills are the trademark legacy of our past Jing Wu patriarchs; it is common knowledge for all who go through the hardship of actually learning the fundamental skills to graduate to advanced learning seeing that these fundamental skills provide the foundation for more specialized training.

Jing Wu martial arts are historical in the sense that many of the most famous Chinese martial arts styles and routines have been preserved within the Jing Wu Association; however this does not negate the fact that beginning students within traditional Jing Wu standards must first practice the fundamental skills. After learning the fundamental skills there is the assessment of the students learning which focuses on correct structure, technique and power when displayed in the assessment examination which is divided into: Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced Levels. Certificates are awarded to all students who have successfully passed their examination. So that brings us back to “Are You Really Jing Wu?”. Have you learned and mastered the fundamental skills? Have you gone through your assessment examination to certify that you have completed the Jing Wu Fundamentals Curriculum?

In my travels I have come across many folks who claim they are Jing Wu and yet do not know or even teach Jing Wu material, it is a sad state of affairs that bring such a dark cloud upon the world renowned Jing Wu Association, which in times past stood for honor, respect and loyalty for the good of a people and a nation.

My Sifu, Hong Kong Master Li Chun Sam has been studying Chinese martial arts all his life, now spanning over thirty years without any interruptions to his training. When Sifu Li was young he took up the serious practice of Jing Wu martial arts not only learning but mastering the skills to its highest level, which in turn has allowed him to have great achievements in advanced martial study regardless of it being Northern Kick, Southern Fist or Wu Dong Internal. Because of his careful study and detailed analysis of each legal theory and application, he now has a comprehensive understanding, and is able to integrate and freely use his skills.

There are great benefits to training the fundamental skills, for example: (1) Tan Tui gives the learner a solid foundation, providing simple yet powerful techniques. (2) Gong Li reaffirms the postures and stances while also building muscular force. (3) Da Zhan one of the Five Zhan (Battle) routines of Shaolin often described as the essence of Shaolin is beneficial for promoting an overall healthy body. (4) Jie Quan aims to strengthen ones endurance by housing within its routine various jumps and kicks. (5) Jie Tan Tui the partner routine allows learners to apply attack and defense techniques. (6) Ba Gua Dao teaches its learner all the short range important movements of the single broadsword. (7) Fu Pu Qun Yang Gun teaches all the most useful techniques of Northern style staff. (8) Wu Fu Qiang puts emphasis on the mid-level piercing action of the spear, it is good for developing the legs, arm and wrist. (9) Tao Quan is a partner training routine that introduces all the basic capture and controlling techniques. Finally, there is (10) Dan Dao Chuan Qiang because of the very nature of fighting with weapons this skill heighten the learners awareness and over-all mobility.

I guess most MA students support the main goal of Jing Wu - to train martial art for good irrespect the petty difference of styles.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

There is nothing wrong with training for the good, however if one operates as Jing Wu because of its namesake and do not offer any instructions in what is transcribed as Jing Wu it is akin to going to a ice cream shop and everything is sold there except ice cream. Apart from the 10 core sets of Jing Wu there are many other skills that our past patriarchs established to further develop their learners. So to me, when I come across folks who state they are Jing Wu and yet teach no Jing Wu material I question their motive to one who is not aware, because whoever promotes in such fashion has no true understanding of the true spirit of Jing Wu which far superceded martial arts, rather one as a honest and upright individual.
    Last edited by tungmojingjung; 01-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Ging Mo / Jing Wu / Chin woo and all the rest have been around for more than 100 years now. The schools and all the spelling variants have been spread around the world at this point.

Those sets listed are the core curriculum. Other styles being taught as well, but not unlike most Kung fu styles, they are affected by the diaspora and a lack of central oversight in any real way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Re:

That's probably because many who use our name haven't digested the core material not to mention other skills nor completed testing to certify passing the ten skills course. There are many that still do fervently transcribes to the original standards.

The Jing Wu in China was at turn of the 20th century. With Huo Yuanjia as it's more or less founder ad he died a couple of months after it got going.

I think that what it is now is the remains of the first diaspora in many regards.
    Most all Martial arts in Mainland China, including Ching Woo in Shanghai was effectively closed in 1966 for the ensuing decade with the cultural revolution took place. They started up again in '76. I don't think they were too ready to not conform to what the PRC wanted from them and so, there is likely a difference or differences in that regard.

It could be argued that the "5 tigers" from Chin Woo that went out into Indonesia, Vietnam, and southeast asia in general and what they developed would be the continuation.

Interesting history stuff to look into. Thanks for posting.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

re:

I am happy the fore-masters of Hong Kong Jing Wu prescribed to the standard set by the mainland and had many of the renown masters spend good time there teaching their skills.