Thread: Does anyone know the names of the advanced 8 step mantis forms?

Does anyone know the names of the advanced 8 step mantis forms?

That is..besides the traditional Li Pi, Fan Che series, 7 hands, Lien Huan Zhang, Essentials 1-6

I'm told that there are advanced forms beyond the initial 9 or 10 taught. Noone it seems has ever listed the advanced Ba Bu forms.

Would someone mind listing them please?

I think you were incorrectly informed. There is also the short 2 man called Pai An.

Hello TNM,

When you state: "I think you were incorrectly informed. ". Could you explain this in greater detail, please?

Whem I stated " the traditional Li Pi, Fan Che series, 7 hands, Lien Huan Zhang, Essentials 1-6"..I meant these are the initial forms taught. What are 8 step forms after these? Thank you.

Off the top of my head I think you said them all.
    Oh yeah, there are some essential exercises. Mike Martello and I did a piece on that years ago and included footage of Wei Xiaotang performing.

Thank you for your thoughts TNM,

OK..

With my initial question probably not phrased in an ideal way. I'll take this opportunity to rephrase it:

1.)If I take the initial sets and consider their *origin*.:

1.) Che Shao(7 hands)-is supposedly derived from Tong Bei
    2.) Fan Che Sets- (Da and Xiao) carry over(so to speak) from Mei Hua-PB mantis
    3.) Li Pi- from 7 stars originally? Plum blossom? Neither? Both?
    5.) Tang Lang Shou-according to another thread..originally from Chang Chuan or Chang Chuan Tang Lang?
    6.) Lien Huan Zhang-developed allegedly by a female iron palm master(not sure of the art)

and on and on including Lan Jie and ..the Zhai Yao 1-6 forms (from Plum Blossom I believe..since wasn't the late GM Wei Xiao Tang a Plum Blossom inheritor?)..it would seem that the forms taught were either from Mei Hua, Tong Bei, another art completely--- or....

If there's not really **original ones** developed by either GM Wei or his predecessors GM Feng Huan Yi or GM Chiang Hua Long(either individually or all 3 masters at different times in 8SM development--

Then would it not stand to reason that the term "8 step forms" (be they beginning or even later sets) is sort of inaccurate? It would instead be PB mantis that 8 steppers are learning?

Intellectual curiosity only. Not trying to open a can of worms. And I'm sure there will be all sorts of naysayers reading this who will accuse me of stirring the pot. Speak for yourselves and P-ss off!

Hi LtN,

KB knows more, however of the forms you mentioned - TL Shou, Lanjie, Xiao Fanche and Zhaiyao are the only ones that are really found in greater MH family, but BBTL Zhaiyao is completely different. Da Fanche is generally found in QX. Li Pi is not from QX.

BT