Thread: Star Trek: Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh

Michelle Yeoh FTW!

I was tepid about the new series but now I'm all in. Michelle will be a great Starfleet captain.

Exclusive: Michelle Yeoh Boards Star Trek: Discovery
    BY SILAS LESNICK ON NOVEMBER 22, 2016

Michelle Yeoh is the first star to join CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery has found its first star! Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh is set to headline the CBS All Access series, Nicholas Meyer just confirmed to CS. Meyer, who helmed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, is serving as a consulting producer on Discovery. Although it is unconfirmed at this time, Michelle Yeoh’s role is potentially the series’ lead, a female Lieutenant Commander.

“I know Michelle Yeoh is in it,” Meyer told us during a discussion of his 1979 sci-fi classic Time After Time. The film, starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper, received a Blu-ray edition last week from Warner Archive.

Michelle Yeoh recently reprised her Yu Shu Lien for a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, Sword of Destiny. She also played a recurring role as Lotus on the second season of the Netflix original series, Marco Polo.

Star Trek: Discovery is executive produced by Bryan Fuller with Gretchen Berg, Aaron Harberts and Academy Award winner Akiva Goldsman manning the bridge.

Following its May 2017 premiere on the CBS Television Network, all episodes of Star Trek: Discovery will be available in the U.S. exclusively on CBS All Access. Continuing the worldwide appeal of the franchise, each episode of the series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere, presented on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media platforms in Canada.

Who would you like to see join Michelle Yeoh in the Star Trek: Discovery cast? Share your thoughts in the comments below and check back soon for our full interview with Nicholas Meyer.

(Photo Credit: FayesVision / WENN.com)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I like the new show

SEP 22 2017, 3:27 PM ET
    From Bond Girl to ‘Star Trek’ Captain, Michelle Yeoh Wants to Keep Surprising You
    by TIFFANY HU

Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou in "Star Trek: Discovery" Jan Thijs / CBS Interactive

In the span of her 30-year career, Michelle Yeoh has done everything from jumping off rooftops to predicting the future. She's been a Bond girl, a geisha, and a sorceress — all roles that the Malaysian-born actress says show the "charming, weird roles" she wants to keep taking on.

"I hope that I keep surprising you,” Yeoh told NBC News. “Otherwise, you will only be seeing Michelle Yeoh playing Michelle Yeoh, which is kind of boring.”

Yeoh's latest role will take her to a new frontier as Captain Philippa Georgiou in the television series "Star Trek: Discovery" on CBS All-Access, the network's on-demand streaming service. The 15-episode series will be the first "Star Trek" series since 2005's "Enterprise" ended.

(left to right) Doug Jones as Lieutenant Saru; Sonequa Martin-Green as First Officer Michael Burnham; Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou in "Star Trek: Discovery." Jan Thijs / CBS Interactive

As Georgiou, Yeoh joins a diverse cast (which includes Sonequa Martin-Green and Maulik Pancholy) that continues the franchise's legacy of on-screen representation. When the series released its first promotional trailer in May, Georgiou was featured heavily, speaking with Yeoh's native Chinese-Malaysian accent, which fans praised Yeoh for.

“Do you think it’s very strong?” Yeoh wondered, joking that she personally thought her accent was charming. “I think it is good that it received such positive reaction, because people are very aware right now. But what I’m really proud about is that we have an Asian female captain — all the boxes ticked right away.”

She continued, "If you’re given the opportunity to be able to play badass female roles, then why not? And when you say badass, I hope you mean that she’s strong, she’s smart, and she can be physical when need be. I’m very proud to play those roles, because I believe when more roles like that are seen by women, it empowers the young girls and other women who are watching.”

Born in Malaysia, the 55-year-old actress got her start in Hong Kong films before making her U.S. debut in the 1997 James Bond film, "Tomorrow Never Dies." Since then, she's continued to appear in dozens of films, both in Asia and in the U.S., including the Academy Award-winning films such as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Memoirs of a Geisha."

Image: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, (aka WO HU CANG LONG), Michelle Yeoh, 2000. ©Sony Pictures Classics/courtesy Everett Collection Sony Pictures / Courtesy Everett Collection

“I don’t restrict myself to specifically, ‘OK, this is the kind of roles I want to play,’ but I do know what are the roles that I don’t want to play,” Yeoh said. “I want to make sure that when I take on a role, it is something I’ll be happy to spend time on — and I’ll learn from it, and I’ll enjoy those precious moments or months that I will be working on it.”

Her next big role is already generating buzz: Yeoh will appear in the upcoming film "Crazy Rich Asians" alongside "Fresh Off the Boat" star Constance Wu. The film, based off the novel by Kevin Kwan, doesn't have a release date yet, but it's already being praised for putting Asian and Asian-American faces on screen in Hollywood.

“It’s an amazing film,” Yeoh said, adding that her role of Eleanor Young was fun to play. “It’s, what, the first [film] in 20-something years with an all-Asian cast? Isn’t that a long time coming?”

Yeoh said that, even within the Asian community, it was special to see “an actress who was working in the western part of the world” and “an actor who was working in the eastern part of the world” learning about different cultural issues each faced, while filming.

“I hope that this will be gigantically successful,” Yeoh said. “Because that will open up to producers understanding that the audiences want to see what’s happening on the other side of the world — and that there are stories to be told.”
    So far, Discovery lacks the humor of Star Trek, and I'm not fond of the depiction of Sarek, or SPOILER the fate of Georgiou in ep 2 END SPOILER but I'm enjoying being back in the Star Trek universe.

Michelle Yeoh on Star Trek Discovery
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

She's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Long life for Philippa Georgiou

Michelle is the part of ST: Disco.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 13 OCT 2018 9:07 AM PDT
    STAR TREK: DISCOVERY'S MICHELLE YEOH FINDS PERFECTION IN STARFLEET'S SECTION 31
    The Philippa Georgiou actress talks her new Season 2 job, fleeing the Mirror Universe, Michael Burnham, and more.

BY SCOTT COLLURA Emperor Philippa Georgiou is back! Well, former emperor anyway, because in Star Trek: Discovery Season 2, Michelle Yeoh’s Mirror Universe character will now be serving as a member of Section 31, Starfleet’s black ops arm. With her long history of assassination, intrigue, and arrogance, she’s perfect for the job, don’t you think?

I caught up with Yeoh at New York Comic-Con, where she filled me in on Georgiou’s new gig, her ongoing relationship with Michael Burnham, how the character feels about being stuck in the Prime Universe, and more. Read on for the full chat…

Michelle Yeoh as Philippa Georgiou

A Tale of Two Georgious

Even though the OG Georgiou -- Captain Georgiou -- is long dead, the actress said that we should still expect to see a version of that character in addition to the Mirror one… from a certain point of view.

“We don’t want anybody else, apart from the selected few who already do know about the Mirror Universe [to know]. That has to be kept under wraps, or otherwise it would be just chaos in the Prime universe,” she said. “So Admiral Cornwell, Spock, Sarek, Tilly, the few -- Saru -- that know. So it’s like, when I come onto the Discovery, Captain Pike has no clue. So I play [the] Philippa Georgiou that he’s met before, the kind, compassionate one. But, you know, the problem with the Emperor Georgiou, she cannot help herself from being mischievous. So Captain Pike is almost like … no. She didn’t? I don’t think she was flirting with me… You know? So she loves to play all these little tricks on people’s minds, and she manipulates them, because she’s very smart.”

Yeoh points out that being that way is surely part of how Georgiou got as far as she did in the MU.

“I guess she’s had to live like that for her whole life,” she said. “So it was the kill or be killed thing, where you’re always watching the other people, so you know every single body language that’s going on, so you preempt it. So she fixes things that are going wrong, but at the same time, she can’t help but have fun with it. So it’s such a deliciously devilish character.”

Philippa and Michael: Mother, Daughter, Enemy, Friend…?

Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) was responsible for bringing Emperor Georgiou to the Prime Universe last season, seemingly saving her from certain death in so doing. Of course, there’s also a complicated relationship there where Captain Georgiou was a mother figure to Michael, and the Mirror Georgiou was the adopted mother to Mirror Michael! Now these two “family members” will be thrust together again, for better or worse.

“It’s always going to be complex between the two of them,” said Yeoh. “Michael is going around with so much guilt from Season 1, after the death of her beloved mentor [and] that mother-daughter relationship. And so when she saw the emperor, she can’t help to feel that that’s still the same Philippa Georgiou. And when she found how hard and ruthless she was, I think, in Michael, she wants to bring that humanity back. That’s Michael Burnham, right? And for Philippa Georgiou, she has a soft spot for Michael Burnham. So we’ll see, in the coming season, how that plays out. Who is going to bring who? Am I gonna bring her to the darker side, or is Michael…”

Yeoh sees the current dynamic between the two as a sort of (ahem) mirror to the first season relationship between Captain Georgiou and Michael.

“I think it’s almost like a full circle,” the actress said. “When it started, the journey in Season 1, it was Philippa Georgiou trying to bring some humanity, you know, like, loosen up, kid! You don’t have to be so uptight, right? You can have fun! And now it’s almost like Burnham doing the same thing for her, like, you don’t have to be mean all the time, you know? No one is trying to kill you here all the time, right? So it is interesting. But then, Michael’s biggest fear is, she’s joined one of the most scary … I mean, of all the places, Section 31, where they do things [outside] of the principles of Starfleet. They will do whatever it takes. They will kill, as long as they feel that they need to do that to protect Starfleet. So it’s nervous times for Burnham, because she doesn’t know which way Emperor Georgiou is going to go.”

The Perfection of Section 31

Section 31 is an interesting aspect of Starfleet in that it was first created for Deep Space Nine but has since been retconned into the earlier history of the Star Trek universe on Enterprise, in Star Trek Into Darkness, and now on Discovery. In a deleted scene released after the first season finished its run, Georgiou was indoctrinated into the service. And Yeoh thinks it’s the perfect place for her to be right now.

“In the whole universe, this is probably her best toy,” she said. “Because Section 31 has all the most updated gadgets, because they are the most informed, and she, as an engineer, she can hack into Section 31. And [the Section 31 member who recruited her] Leland thinks he’s in charge of the ship. But she finds out secrets. Because that’s what Section 31 does. It’s collected secrets all over the universe about certain people, and history, and things like that. And so, when you have [those] kind of secrets, it’s power. And for Philippa Georgiou, that’s perfect! So, if she has to be here, she wants to be in Section 31, and she wants to run it, right?”

Which isn’t to say that Emperor Georgiou wanted to depart her universe to come here. But there was the minor matter of her ship being taken over and her being overthrown…

“I think she never wanted to leave it in the first place, but Michael truly believed that she was going to die,” said Yeoh. “Because she wasn’t sacrificing herself for Michael Burnham, she was ready to fight … And with her skills, you never know which way it would have gone, right? But I think being here in this universe, she’s finding a lot more interesting flavors to what life is about. It’s not just about killing, it’s not just about taking over the next territory, and having to watch over your shoulder the whole time. Where you don’t have friends, where you don’t trust anyone. And that is a horrible way to live. You’re lonely. You’re single. You have no choice. But here in this world, she’s beginning to feel that humanity actually could be quite interesting. And there’s hope for her.”

So the question then arises: nature versus nurture. Are you evil just because you live in the Mirror Universe, or does it make you evil?

“I think it makes you who you are, because you have no choice,” concludes Yeoh. “You have to fight. And that’s the only way to survive, right? Because, if you didn’t… Michael Burnham? Dead, a long time ago. She would have never survived. It would be, okay, bye bye! And that’s the reality of what the Terran world was about. But not in this universe. In this universe, she’s beginning to realize, I don’t have to be like that. I don’t have to be killing just to get ahead. And I think that makes a big difference.”

Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham, Michelle Yeoh as Georgiou and Anson Mount as Captain Pike

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 will debut on January 17, 2019, but in the meantime be sure to also check out our interview with Sonequa Martin-Green about Spock, Captain Pike, and more. Or, read our chat with Mary Wiseman about her character Ensign Tilly’s new Short Treks episode “Runaway,” or check out IGN’s full NYCC panel report.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Green Lit

I copied all the posts above off the Star Trek: Disco thread for this new Star Trek: Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh (working title - I'll update that when the time comes) and copied it to Michelle Yeoh

This just made my Monday.

"CBS ALL ACCESS" GOES BLACK OPS WITH MICHELLE YEOH FOR NEW “STAR TREK” SERIES BASED ON SECTION 31

Jan. 14, 2019 – CBS All Access today announced plans to further expand the “Star Trek” universe with a new live-action series in development starring Michelle Yeoh. The series will expand on Yeoh’s current role as a member of Starfleet’s Section 31 division, a shadow organization within the Federation, on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, which debuts its second season Thursday, Jan. 17 exclusively on CBS All Access in the U.S., and is distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV.

The series will be produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers. Aaron Baiers will serve as co-executive producer along with Bo Yeon Kim, and Erika Lippoldt will also write the series.

“Michelle has shattered ceilings, broken boundaries, and astonished us with her grace and gravitas for decades. As a human, I adore her. As an actor, I revere her,” said Alex Kurtzman. “Erika and Boey are remarkable, exciting writers who bring a fresh perspective to the world of ‘Star Trek,’ and we’re all thrilled to explore the next wild chapter in the life of Captain Philippa Georgiou.”

“I’m so excited to continue telling these rich ‘Star Trek’ stories,” said Michelle Yeoh. “Being a part of this universe and this character specifically has been such a joy for me to play. I can’t wait to see where it all goes – certainly I believe it will go ‘where no WOMAN has ever gone before!’”

Michelle Yeoh is recognized as one of the greatest and the most successful actresses from the east. She can most recently be seen starring in John M. Chu's romantic comedy “Crazy Rich Asians,” and in CBS’ STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. The former Bond girl is best known for her roles in Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and its sequel, Rob Marshall’s “Memoirs of a Geisha,” Roger Spottiswoode’s “Tomorrow Never Dies” and Danny Boyle’s “Sunshine.” Michelle also starred in Luc Besson’s critically acclaimed “The Lady” and voiced a role in the DreamWorks animated hit “Kung Fu Panda 2.”

The development of this new untitled series is the latest expansion of the “Star Trek” franchise. In addition to the hit original series STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, returning with season two on Thursday, Jan. 17, and STAR TREK: SHORT TREKS, a series of short stories tied to STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and the overall “Star Trek” universe, CBS has announced a new untitled “Star Trek” series featuring Sir Patrick Stewart, reprising his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard, as well as its first animated series, STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, developed by Emmy Award winner Mike McMahan (“Rick and Morty”).

About CBS All Access

CBS All Access is CBS’ digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service. In addition to its original series, which include STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, THE GOOD FIGHT, STRANGE ANGEL, TELL ME A STORY and NO ACTIVITY, CBS All Access gives CBS fans the ability to watch more than 10,000 episodes on demand – spanning current shows from primetime, daytime and late night, as well as past seasons of select series and classic TV hits – and stream their local CBS station live. CBS All Access is currently available online at CBS.com, on mobile devices via the CBS app for iOS, Android and Windows 10, and on Roku Players, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Fire TV, Samsung Smart TVs, Vizio Smartcast TVs and Amazon Channels. For more details on CBS All Access, please visit https://www.cbs.com/all-access/.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Philippa boldly going...

Star Trek: Discovery is all about Georgiou for me. I'm all about Star Trek: Section 31

Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff to Begin Production After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
    BY CRAIG ELVY – ON JUN 19, 2019 IN TV NEWS

Alex Kurtzman has confirmed that after Star Trek: Discovery season 3 is complete, production will begin on the previously announced Section 31 spinoff. It's an incredibly active period for the Star Trek franchise. Despite the cancellation of Star Trek 4, news continues to emerge regarding a Quentin Tarantino-directed Trek movie. On the small screen, Star Trek: Discovery is currently preparing to film its third season and a variety of new projects have been announced. These include Star Trek: Picard starring Patrick Stewart, an animated comedy series, an animated Nickelodeon series and a Section 31 spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh's Philippa Georgiou.

Section 31 are a clandestine unit of Starfleet that take on the more morally gray work of the Federation, and they recently appeared in Star Trek: Discovery's second season. Here, they recruited main characters Mirror Georgiou and Ash Tyler and soon found themselves investigating the whereabouts of Spock alongside Captain Pike and the Discovery. Typically, it was rarely clear how far viewers could trust Section 31 and while the unit weren't the primary antagonists in Star Trek: Discovery season 2, they didn't make life easy for Michael Burnham and the gang.

Late last year, it was revealed that Yeoh would star in a Section 31 spinoff series and Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman has now been discussing exactly what the Star Trek franchise's plan is with so many projects on the go. Speaking with Deadline, Kurtzman stated:

"Erika [Lippoldt] and Boey [Kim], who are two of our writers on Discovery, are breaking story on [Section 31] right now and the plan is to shoot that the second we’re done with [Discovery] season 3."

Sonequa Martin Green as Michael Burnham, Michelle Yeoh as Georgiou and Anson Mount as Pike in Star Trek Discovery

Things had become a little frantic within the Star Trek franchise over the past few months, and it's certainly reassuring to see some kind of timetable begin to take shape. Star Trek: Discovery season 2 left plenty of questions unanswered regarding both the organization themselves and Philippa Georgiou and there's plenty of fertile material for the spinoff to explore that could potentially enrich the Discovery experience and offer a more mature, espionage-based take on Gene Roddenberry's world.

On the other hand, filming the Section 31 spinoff straight after wrapping up season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery may risk the franchise's TV output running out of steam or repeating itself, especially since Kurtzman confirms that writers from Discovery are also working on the new show. If production bleeds directly from one series to another, this may mean that the spinoff will feel too much like Discovery in terms of tone and themes and fail to differentiate itself from the flagship series.

Obviously, CBS now have their own in-house streaming service to fill with content and the Star Trek universe makes up the bulk of this. Asking Kurtzman and his team to produce several Star Trek shows in such a short space of time is an ambitious feat and one that will likely either pay off massively or fail completely.

Star Trek: Discovery season 3 is currently without a release date. More news as it arrives.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Boldly going...

Q&A
    The Star Trek TV Universe is CBS All Access’ Secret Weapon. Will It Keep Expanding Infinitely?
    Talking to Star Trek showrunner Alex Kurtzman and CBS All Access' Julie McNamara about the franchise's streaming future.
    BY JOY PRESS
    NOVEMBER 29, 2019

Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes in the forthcoming CBS All Access series Picard.TRAE PATTON/CBS ALL ACCESS

As genre franchises go, Star Trek has one of the longest legacies. With CBS preparing to merge with Viacom, a move that will unite the movies and TV series under the same roof via Paramount, some have suggested that it could become a new Marvel Universe for the conglomerate. Right now, there are two separate movies reportedly in the works from Noah Hawley and Quentin Tarantino. Meanwhile, the Star Trek television universe, overseen by Alex Kurtzman, serves as the centerpiece of the originals slate at CBS All Access, the network’s streaming platform.

Unlike Netflix and Amazon, which whip out fresh series at a head-turning rate, CBS All Access has moved slowly, debuting a small number of original programs each year, including The Good Wife’s sterling spin-off The Good Fight, Jordan Peele’s Twilight Zone reboot and the glossy Marc Cherry drama Women Who Kill. But the Trek-verse has been the streamer’s secret weapon ever since the 2017 launch of Star Trek: Discovery. It kept doubling down on the bet with short-form series Star Trek: Short Treks and Picard (premiering in January, starring Patrick Stewart), and several more in the works like the animated Star Trek: Lower Decks and Section 31, a series that has Michelle Yeoh reprising her character from Discovery.

“We're in the middle of a merger, and there are a lot of assets that this joint company has that I don't know entirely how that will [come] together,” Julie McNamara, CBS All Access executive vice president of original content, told me last month. “I know that streaming and CBS All Access specifically are a huge priority for the company,” she said. As are originals. “The people who come for originals are by far the stickiest subscribers.... For something like the Star Trek universe, we are putting a ton of resources toward it and we're using serialized storytelling [so] that show is sort of premium version in that universe.” We were talking during the Women in Entertainment Summit in Los Angeles, where she and Kurtzman spoke to me about CBS All Access plans for Star Trek as well as Kurtzman’s other upcoming projects for the platform, like his political miniseries about James Comey, based on the FBI director’s memoir and starring Jeff Daniels and his adaptation of The Man Who Fell to Earth, which he will make with Jenny Lumet.

Vanity Fair: Tell me about the development process of Picard. Did the fact that you were creating it for CBS All Access change how you conceived of it?

Kurtzman: Julie and I were very excited about the idea of bringing Patrick back. But... he did not want to come back. He said he was never going to play that part again. So we entered into that knowing Patrick is going to have a major, major voice in whatever this becomes if we're going to get him to say yes. He doesn't want to repeat what he's done already, which was by the way, the best bar he could have put forward. The show is inspired by Next Gen, and it's written by people who grew up loving it but it is very much not Next Gen. It feels like a modern adult drama in the world of Star Trek, which has not actually really happened before. It's also singularly about a man in his emeritus years and there are very few franchises that would allow you to have an almost 80 year old lead and tell his story.

It's not like we ever had conversations where All Access said, "Look, we really want it to be this or we really want it to be that." If anything, I think we were coming to them and saying, "Here's what's emerging from the room," and trying to give them real time assessments as the story was breaking. It didn't follow a particularly traditional development process either. Usually there's an outline and then there's everybody reads it and they give notes. We didn't go through that either and I think that was a testament to the trust that Julie gave us.

The writers' room for Picard has Patrick Stewart as well as novelists Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman. It must’ve been an interesting room.

Kurtzman: Yes, it was a lot of very strong voices. But the thing that was great about it was that everybody wanted the same thing. So those voices formed a wonderful chorus as opposed to pulling in a bunch of different directions. And everybody has a different superpower in that room, which is exciting, you know what I mean? Because you're like, "OK, what are you going to bring?”

What was Patrick Stewart arguing for?

Kurtzman: Nothing that felt familiar. His constant refrain was: I don't want to do what I've already done. Obviously it's not a secret that the Borg were involved, and his first instinct was not to do the Borg. He was like, "I did that story. I don't want to do that story." And we couldn't just say, "Yeah, but we loved you in it so much, we just want to do that again." And what ended up emerging was actually as a result of that back and forth, a very unique and very different Borg story. Definitely not one that you could have told in Next Generation. And certainly not what I think anyone's expecting.

Star Trek: Discovery stars a number of women of color. Can you tell me about the conversation behind that?

McNamara: We certainly feel that it's important to reflect the culture on our service. And that's not just altruistic, although it is a good and important thing. It's also good business. You really want to reach people in a way that feels specific in terms of characters and story telling.

Kurtzman: About three years ago when, when CBS asked me to consider doing another Star Trek, my first instinct was: it's got to be a woman and it's got to be a woman of color. I'm not interested in having another male captain. We made that very clear and a condition of our involvement and Julie was immediately supportive of it. And one thing I remember very clearly was that we were still casting the morning Trump was elected and somehow in the casting conversation this question came up like, okay, do we have to reconsider this? And we doubled down and said, this is exactly why we have to do this right now. And for me personally, I have a harder time writing men—that's the truth. I don't know why. It's always been the case.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Michelle Yeoh is going to be the lead of a spinoff based on her role as Philippa Georgiou. Where are you with that show?

McNamara: We are very excited about the Section 31 show and Michelle Yeoh is excited to do it. She is in the current season of Discovery so she's working on that right now but we have scripts getting written, and Alex has a writer's room. We love what we've heard so far. It's yet another tonality of Trek. As Alex has mapped it all out, each show has its own unique sort of voice and vision.

What’s the tonality of this one?

Kurtzman: What we don't want is for you to watch one show and be like, well I don't really need to watch that other Star Trek show cause I've already watched Discovery or whatever. So to me Section 31 is sort of like the black ops CIA division of Star Trek and it was established in Deep Space 9. Full credit goes to Michelle Yeoh for coming to me and saying in season one, before we even launched, “I want to do a spin off of my character!” With Michelle Yeoh, it's very hard to say no.

This was like a year before Crazy Rich Asians came out and we had not launched Discovery yet. No one had seen it. So I was like, let's have one show that hopefully people like and we can talk about it. Once Discovery happened, I brought it to Julie and she immediately said, great, let's develop it. Erica [Lippoldt] and Bo Yeon [Kim], two writers on our Discovery staff, started writing a pilot and it's really different. It occupies an area of the Trek universe that's never really been explored geographically. It has a new mythology to it, which is very interesting. And it puts Michelle's character to the test in a lot of ways that Discovery can't. In some ways it will be her Unforgiven, I would say.

When we're talking about inclusivity we're also talking in terms of age, too, because these are some seasoned actors and actresses.

Kurtzman: The beauty of Star Trek and its vision—and I take no credit for this at all—is that it imagined a world where all of these things that we're talking about now were not conversation pieces. Race, diversity, gender, sexual preference. Those are things we don't talk about in the world of Star Trek. We've just moved past all that and it's gorgeous. It's the most amazing ideal and it's part of why I think it's survived for 50 plus years—because there's people who would like to believe that our best selves will emerge in the future…..Star Trek was a pioneer in allowing people to see themselves on screen in a genre that they had never seen themselves before. This has never hit harder for me than when I got to spend an afternoon with Dr. Mae Jemison, who was the first female African American astronaut in space. I fell madly in love with her and I asked, why [become] an astronaut? And she said, “Uhura! I saw Uhura!” So I felt that responsibility... to create more Uhurus.

There's a real tug of war over over talent these days. Why go with CBS All Access?

Kurtzman: Julie and I met, what was it, 18 years ago? We have a long relationship with each other and the thing that I need most, anywhere I go, is trust…. Julie never says, this is what you can and can't do. It's, what can you dream up and how can I make it possible? On network there's rigid time constraints and there's rules about what you can and can't say or can't show. We don't have any of those strictures on All Access.

You’re also working together on a miniseries about James Comey. The news moves so fast that it’s impossible to imagine what the political world will look like when your project is ready. Does that matter?

Kurtzman : I don't think it will because it is honestly a documentation of what happened—it has been crafted to be a historical record. We actually are not interested in rewriting the past. Many people are, but we're not!

McNamara: I think of it in the sense of something like Game Change or Recount, where you felt like it was very much about the events of a relatively small period of time. And the important thing is that it feel resonant and relevant to an audience when they're watching that. And it'll be interesting to see where the culture is and who is running the country...but I think what the material essentially talks about is way bigger in terms of our democracy.

As a character, Comey is not your prestige cable antihero...

Kurtzman: He's divisive. ... We all have a bias. We all were like, he's the guy whose choices ended up turning the election. And the fact is that it's much more complicated than that. ... It was a confluence of many, many people and many, many events.

McNamara: I also think it's fascinating to look at individuals in what turns out to be a pivotal moment in history. Let's say, hypothetically, you're taking an essentially good man and you're putting him in a situation where the tides of the culture are shifting in ways that maybe he doesn't see.... They're just real people making decisions in real time.

This interview has has been edited and condensed for clarity.
    We don't have a Picard thread yet, just a trailer on the kung fu star trek people thread. Maybe we'll split that off some day.

We do have a Section 31 thread. It's Michelle.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm so excited for this show

New 'Star Trek' series 'Section 31' to start filming when 'Discovery' season 3 wraps
    By Scott Snowden a day ago

Get ready for the return of her most Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Kronos, Regina Andor, Emperor Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius.

Michelle Yeoh came back with a vengeance in the latter half of "Discovery" Season 1, and now she'll have her own spin-off series.
    (Image: © CBS)

The first episodes of "Star Trek: Picard" have aired and are now being scrutinized on social media and countless threads across the internet.

But let's not forget about Season 3 of "Star Trek: Discovery" and the new spin-off show, which may or may not officially be called "Section 31" — although that title does seem likely.

"Star Trek: Discovery"

Space.com caught up with Alex Kurtzman, the executive producer of "Star Trek: Picard" and a showrunner for "Discovery," at the world premiere of "Star Trek: Picard" in Hollywood on Jan. 13 and tried to crowbar some tidbits of information out of him.

"It's a really — it's a new world, literally. It's a new world," Kurtzman said, when asked about the new season of "Discovery."

"It's 1,000 years in the future. [It's got] things you expect from 'Star Trek' — enemies might be allies, former allies might now be enemies. [But] everything's different. It's still the world of 'Star Trek,' no question about it, but there's a lot of huge changes in the universe," he said.

"And it's interesting because, as we cut it, it [still] feels very much like 'Discovery,' but the world is just so different … people will definitely have a minute of going, 'Wow, I need a minute to adjust to what this is.'"

This approach will give Kurtzman a virtually blank canvas in terms of "Star Trek" lore and what he can do with it.

"There's no worry of canon at this point. We're not even anywhere close to where canon has been. Everything that happened … in the past has actually planted seeds that have led to outcomes in the future. And getting to see that over the spectrum of this amazing time jump is really what's fun about the season," Kurtzman said.

"The only restraints are making sure that we don't violate some Trek fundamentals. But because we're not having to sync up with canon, we really had a different kind of freedom this year."

Wilson Cruz, who plays Dr. Hugh Culber, confirmed that principle photography on "Discovery" was nearly finished when we spoke to him at the "Picard" premiere.

"We've been working very hard since the summer, and we're almost done," he said. "And I think it's going to be very exciting for people to see the world that we inhabit when we get there."

We asked how much time was left on principal photography, to which Cruz replied, "A few weeks."

To compare, in terms of production turnaround time, Season 2 of "Discovery" shot principal photography from April to December 2018 and then premiered on Jan. 17, 2019 — just two months later. Moreover, Season 1 premiered on Sept. 24, 2017, while principal photography was still in progress, finally finishing in October 2017.

So, are we looking at Season 3 of "Discovery" airing soon after "Picard" has completed its debut season? It's entirely possible, yes.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

"Section 31"

We also asked Kurtzman about the "Section 31" spin-off, starring Michelle Yeoh, to which he replied, "It's well on its way, I can tell you that. And Erika [Lippoldt] and Bo Yeon [Kim] have written a great script and we have a writers' room, and it's exciting."

We asked how far they were from casting, to which Kurtzman said, "I think that's going to be happening soon."

When we asked if it could be within, say, the next three months, he replied, "Could be. Could be."

Following the Hollywood premiere of "Picard," GWW has reported that filming is set to start in Mississauga, Canada, on May 4 of this year and will shoot for a total of seven months, with a completion date of November 2020. Apparently, production was pushed back to accommodate Michelle Yeoh's shooting schedule on the Marvel Studios film "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings."

To recap, in Season 1 of "Discovery," Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) discovers that the Mirror Universe version of her former captain is her most Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Kronos, Regina Andor, Emperor Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius, ruler of the xenophobic Terran Empire, which spans most of the known galaxy. When Burnham and the Discovery crew escape back to their reality, Emperor Georgiou is their prisoner, though she's soon released and recruited by Section 31, a supersecret Federation intelligence organization.

Background: The Mirror Universe

The Mirror Universe is an informal name for a parallel universe first visited by James T. Kirk and several officers from the USS Enterprise in 2267. This alternate reality coexists with the prime universe on another dimensional plane. The Mirror Universe was so named because many people and places seemed to be opposites of who they were in the prime universe, with numerous good aspects now evil and vice versa. (It is an entirely different alternate reality from the Kelvin timeline of the awful J.J. Abrams-produced "Star Trek" films.)

It was first introduced in the "Star Trek: The Original Series" episode "Mirror Mirror" (Season 2, Episode 4), when a transporter accident occurs, and Capt. Kirk (William Shatner) is beamed into this alternate reality, where the Federation is an evil entity called the Terran Empire.

The Mirror Universe was never explored in "The Next Generation" or "Voyager." However, "Deep Space Nine" featured an impressive five visits, and "Enterprise" made two memorable excursions. Here's a list of all the "Star Trek" episodes in which the Mirror Universe comes into play:

"The Original Series" episode "Mirror Mirror" (S2, Ep4)
    "Deep Space Nine" episode "Crossover" (S2, Ep23)
    "Deep Space Nine" episode "Through the Looking Glass" (S3, Ep19)
    "Deep Space Nine" episode "Shattered Mirror" (S4, Ep19)
    "Deep Space nine" episode "Resurrection" (S6, Ep8)
    "Deep Space Nine" episode "The Emperor's New Cloak" (S7, Ep12)
    "Enterprise" episode "In a Mirror, Darkly" (S4, Ep18 parts 1 & 2)
    The vastly underrated "Enterprise," which takes place a century before both "The Original Series" and "Discovery," even had a special opening-credits sequence that showed much of Earth's Mirror Universe history.

Background: Section 31

Section 31 first appeared in "Deep Space Nine" in the episode "Inquisition" (Season 6, Episode 18). It's a clandestine organization that's supposed to protect the security of the United Federation of Planets. During the mid-23rd century, it was regarded as a critical division of Starfleet Intelligence. However, by the 24th century, it was considered to be a rogue organization and not part of the Federation; its very existence was a deeply buried secret, known only to a handful of people beyond its own membership.

Perhaps the darkest aspect of Section 31's nature was that, while it had existed since the beginning of Starfleet, it was a self-governing department. And, because it operated for over 200 years with no accountability or oversight whatsoever, it felt free to use its own discretion to kill those it deemed a threat to the Federation.

A spin-off series focusing on Section 31 will certainly take "Star Trek" in a new direction, and perhaps, finally, we're going to have the fully fleshed-out "Star Trek" universe we've all wanted for so long.

CBS All Access subscription is the home of "Star Trek: Picard," "Star Trek: Discovery" and a host of other original and archival CBS television shows. Subscriptions start at $5.99 a month. You can try CBS All Access for a week free here.
    THREADS
    Star Trek: Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh
    Star Trek: Discovery
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Georgiou is my Empress

Apr 18, 2023 8:00am PT
    Paramount+ Greenlights ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ Film Starring Michelle Yeoh

By Joe Otterson

Russ Martin

Paramount+ is officially moving forward on a “Star Trek: Section 31” project starring Michelle Yeoh, but it will now be an event film instead of a series, Variety has learned.

It was first reported that a Section 31 series with Yeoh was in development back in 2019. In the film, Yeoh will reprise the role of Emperor Philippa Georgiou, whom she began playing during Season 1 of “Star Trek: Discovery.”

Per the official logline, “Emperor Philippa Georgiou joins a secret division of Starfleet tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets and faces the sins of her past.” Rumors of a Yeoh-led Section 31 project began upon the conclusion of Season 1 of “Discovery,” after a deleted scene revealed Georgiou being approached by a member of the shadowy intelligence organization on the Klingon homeworld.

“I’m beyond thrilled to return to my ‘Star Trek’ family and to the role I’ve loved for so long,” said Yeoh. “Section 31 has been near and dear to my heart since I began the journey of playing Philippa all the way back when this new golden age of ‘Star Trek’ launched. To see her finally get her moment is a dream come true in a year that’s shown me the incredible power of never giving up on your dreams. We can’t wait to share what’s in store for you, and until then: live long and prosper (unless Emperor Georgiou decrees otherwise)!”

Production will begin on the film later this year.

The news comes about a month after Yeoh won the Academy Award for best actress for “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” making her the first Asian person to win the award. She also picked up wins at the SAG Awards, Independent Spirit Awards, and the Golden Globes for her work in the film. She is also known for her roles in films like “Crazy Rich Asians,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 1 & 2,” “Memoirs Of A Geisha,” the James Bond film “Tomorrow Never Dies,” and “Sunshine.”

She is repped by Artist International Group and Cohen & Gardner.

“All the way back in 2017, before the first season of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ had even aired, Michelle had the idea to do a spin-off for her character, Philippa Georgiou,” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. “She broke new ground as one of the first two women on screen in the pilot to usher in a new age of ‘Trek,’ and now, six years later, ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ finally arrives on the heels of her latest groundbreaking win. Everyone on Team ‘Trek’ couldn’t be more thrilled to have our legendary friend return home to us as we expand our storytelling into new and uncharted corners of the Trekverse. Long live Emperor Georgiou; long live Michelle Yeoh!”

Craig Sweeny (“Limitless,” “Medium”) serves as writer and executive producer on “Star Trek: Section 31.” Olatunde Osunsanmi (“Star Trek: Discovery,” “The Man Who Fell to Earth”) will direct and executive produce. Yeoh will executive produce in addition to starring. Alex Kurtzman and Aaron Baiers executive produce via Secret Hideout. Rod Rodenberry and Trevor Roth of Rodenberry Entertainment also executive produce along with Frank Siracusa and John Weber. CBS Studios will produce. Sweeny, Osunsanmi, and Kurtzman are all currently under overall deals at CBS Studios.

“For years, we’ve been looking forward to Michelle Yeoh one day returning to ‘Star Trek,’” said David Stapf, president of CBS Studios. “Her powerful performance as Captain and Emperor Georgiou was a pivotal moment for the return of the franchise, and her portrayal resonated with fans around the world in a multitude of ways. We couldn’t be prouder to join forces with Michelle once again as we continue to explore the ‘Star Trek’ universe, celebrate its legacy and chart a course for the future of the franchise.”

Section 31 was first introduced in the “Star Trek” series “Deep Space Nine.” The organization has since been featured in the “Star Trek” shows “Enterprise,” “Discovery,” “Lower Decks,” and “Picard,” as well as the film “Into Darkness.”

“We’re thrilled that ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ will be the next title in our ‘Star Trek’ universe,” said Domenic DiMeglio, chief marketing officer and head of data at Paramount Streaming. “Michelle Yeoh is an incomparable talent – she brought Emperor Georgiou to life in such an incredibly fun and nuanced way that the character immediately became a fan favorite. We’re so thrilled to welcome Michelle back to the ‘Star Trek’ and Paramount+ family and can’t wait for fans to see what this special movie event has in store.”

The film is the latest development of the next generation of the revamped “Star Trek” era at Paramount+. The series finale of “Star Trek: Picard” is set to debut on the streamer this week, with the main cast of “Next Generation” reuniting for the show’s third and final season. It was announced in March that a Starfleet Academy show has been ordered to series.

Beyond that, it was announced that both “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds” and “Star Trek: Lower Decks” had been renewed ahead of their new season premieres and that “Star Trek: Discovery” will end with its fifth season in 2024.
    Star-Trek-Section-31-with-Michelle-Yeoh
    Michelle-Yeoh
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips